PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs earn California sweep

Kori Ellis
04-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Spurs earn California sweep
Web Posted: 04/11/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041105.1D.BKNspurs.warriors.gamer.1c6acc9d2.ht ml

OAKLAND, Calif. — After two games and four overtime periods, after 99 minutes on the court, after his hamstrings tightened and his calves ached, Tony Parker blasted into the lane one more time Sunday night.

With the score tied, 16,324 fans on their feet and Golden State guard Derek Fisher hugging his hip, Parker drove a step left of the basket. He slowed just enough to bank in a layup with 2.9 seconds remaining.

Then he collapsed.

Parker fell on his back along the baseline. After his teammates scooped him to his feet, the Spurs closed out their 136-134 victory over the Warriors — their second double-overtime thriller in as many nights.

"I was done," Parker said after scoring a career-best 35 points and distributing 12 assists. "If we play a third overtime, I don't know if I'm going to make it."

Parker's teammates and coaches were amazed he lasted two. Less than 24 hours after beating the Los Angeles Clippers in 125-124 in double overtime, the Spurs duplicated a performance that was equal in drama, shot-making and, unfortunately for a few weary souls, length.

It was the first time in six years a team has played double-overtime games on consecutive nights.

"I don't know where they've gotten the energy," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It's a real tribute to those guys."

Popovich was concerned enough about the effects of Saturday's draining victory, he didn't play Manu Ginobili on Sunday. Rasho Nesterovic, out for the rest of the regular season after spraining his left ankle against the Clippers, joined Ginobili and Tim Duncan on the sidelines.

Despite missing three starters, the Spurs rallied from an 11-point deficit in the fourth quarter — similar to how they rallied from nine points down against the Clippers — before outlasting the Warriors. The 270 combined points between the teams is the most in the NBA this season. The Spurs' 136 is their most since Nov. 11, 1991.

After winning consecutive road games for the first time in seven weeks, the Spurs moved within a half-game of Phoenix for the Western Conference's No. 1 playoff seed. With five games left, they need one victory or a Dallas loss to win the Southwest Division title and secure no worse than the second seed.

"That's why nobody's given up," Parker said. "We're going to try to get that first place even if we're short-handed. We're going to fight until the end."

The Spurs did that Sunday. Nazr Mohammed, who started in place of Nesterovic, totaled 19 points and 15 rebounds before fouling out late in the first overtime period. Each of the Spurs' other three starters — Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen and Brent Barry — scored 17 points.

"It was great to see Nazr get himself on the map again," Popovich said. "He seemed like he was AWOL for a while.

"He really played aggressively. He went after rebounds, he snatched them, and he went back at the bucket hard."

Horry, whose late 3-pointer and block won Saturday's game, buried another 25-footer to tie the Warriors with 37 seconds left in regulation. Less than a minute earlier, Barry had tied the game by driving for a three-point play. Bowen started the comeback with a 3-pointer of his own.

But with Eva Longoria among the fans filling the Arena in Oakland, Parker took center stage. He and Warriors point guard Baron Davis, who scored 38 points, seemed to match each other shot for shot after the third quarter.

Parker gave the Spurs a 117-115 lead when he swished an 18-footer with 5.9 seconds left in regulation. Davis drove into the lane with Bowen on his hip and tossed in a twisting runner at the buzzer.

"That was a nice move," Parker said, smiling. "He did like a little tear drop. He watched me too much." :lol

By the time the Spurs' bus pulled up to the loading dock at the Arena late Sunday afternoon, the buzz from Saturday's victory had evaporated.

"Reality sets in when you realize you're only six games away from the playoffs," Popovich said, "and you have to be as healthy as possible."

As a result, Popovich forced Ginobili to spend the evening on the bench. Parker, who played 53 minutes against the Clippers, went back to work.

As Parker dressed late Sunday, Ginobili told him to hurry up. The bus was waiting.

Ginobili smiled.

"I'm joking Tony," he said. "Tonight you can take as long as you want."

Taco
04-11-2005, 09:20 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050410/capt.las10504100629.spurs_clippers_las105.jpg

Taco
04-11-2005, 09:21 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050410/capt.las10404100627.spurs_clippers_las104.jpg

No Soup for You!!!!

MannyIsGod
04-11-2005, 10:28 AM
:lmao @ Tony giving himself props.

Solid D
04-11-2005, 10:33 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050410/capt.las10504100629.spurs_clippers_las105.jpg

Great group hug photo. Character built, no I in team.

Sportcamper
04-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Lucky Shot by Horry! He has never done that before!

Clippers were "Robbed"...

Solid D
04-11-2005, 10:37 AM
I know that pic is from the Clipper game, but it could very easily have been the same scene in Oakland last night.

boutons
04-11-2005, 10:43 AM
I loved how clean Robert's block was, and how Miki ended up flat on his back, like a pile of roadkill.

What play to seal a 2OT W.