PDA

View Full Version : Celtics to sign Marquis Daniels

tomtom
09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Celtics to sign Marquis Daniels (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1194606&srvc=sports&position=1)

Marquis Daniels is set to become a Celtic. Finally.

Sources told the Herald yesterday Daniels will sign for the bi-annual exception. The deal will begin at $1.99 million and can be for no more than two years.

The 6-foot-6 swingman weeks ago agreed to join the Celts, but since then the club has been trying to work out a sign-and-trade deal that would benefit all sides.

The Celtics [team stats] were trying to clear some roster space while giving Daniels a contract that was longer and more in line with his value. But when they could not come to an agreement with Indiana, the team Daniels is leaving as a free agent, Celts director of basketball operations Danny Ainge went searching for a three-team transaction.

With training camp a month away and all avenues to a trade seemingly at a dead end, the sides agreed to the simple free agent contract.

Daniels will be expected to lessen the burdens on wingmen Paul Pierce [stats] and Ray Allen, while also playing a role in the point guard rotation. He will be a strong complement to the fast-break game.

Known around the league as an intelligent player whose athleticism sometimes leads to aggressive errors, Daniels has averaged 9.4 points and 1.1 steals in 23.5 minutes in six seasons.

A wrist injury limited him to 54 games last season, but he stepped up in Mike Dunleavy’s absence and averaged a career-best 13.6 points.

Daniels was a key player in Dallas’ aggressive and heady attack for three seasons but was traded to Indiana when the Mavericks opted for a different - and ultimately less successful - style. The Pacers have been caught in a roster transition the past few years.

It is interesting to note that, according to league sources, the two other teams with the most interest in Daniels when he became a free agent this summer were Dallas and Indiana. That indicates the teams who knew him best were among those wanting him most.

tomtom
09-01-2009, 10:15 PM
This could very well be an underrated pickup, Daniels is good talent. That's definitely a great price for the Celtics.

IronMexican
09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Good pick-up. A lot of people seem to be over-looking the C's now.

z0sa
09-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Good pick-up. A lot of people seem to be over-looking the C's now.

Mistakenly. Health aside, they're the most talented team in basketball and have championship experience to boot.

DPG21920
09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
No, they were trying to work out a sign-and-trade to make the deal better for both parties.

bostonguy
09-01-2009, 11:51 PM
I like the pickup. Now lets use Tony Allen/Scalabs combined 5.9 expiring contracts for another wing or a backup pg.

bostonguy
09-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Mistakenly. Health aside, they're the most talented team in basketball and have championship experience to boot.

Over the Lakers?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Tony Allen sucks (idk why I needed to say that, Bostonguy posted his name, thought I'd just re-clarify an obvious statement).

Ghazi
09-02-2009, 12:25 AM
I overlook the Celtics because their core is ancient and I think KG won't be able to replicate that 07-08 season after this injury + he'll be 34 come playoffs next year.

As a Mavs fan, I'm only concerned about the Cavs and the Lakers

bostonguy
09-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Tony Allen sucks (idk why I needed to say that, Bostonguy posted his name, thought I'd just re-clarify an obvious statement).

You wont find any argument from me on that. :lol

bostonguy
09-02-2009, 12:46 AM
I overlook the Celtics because their core is ancient and I think KG won't be able to replicate that 07-08 season after this injury + he'll be 34 come playoffs next year.

As a Mavs fan, I'm only concerned about the Cavs and the Lakers

Um the Hornets seem to have your number. Plus you got that other team to worry about. You know the Denver Nuggets. Oh and if you are going to use the old card on the Celts, you have to use it on the Cavs as well. Shaq will be 38 and the Cavs are going to need him to be a force all season long just to have a realistic chance of making it back to the finals. How much of a beating a 38 year old Shaq can take will be the fate to the Cavs having a real shot of coming out of the east.

angelbelow
09-02-2009, 12:49 AM
What happened to tony allen, i know he put up some nice stats before he injured himself in 07-08.

Ghazi
09-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Um the Hornets seem to have your number. Plus you got that other team to worry about. You know the Denver Nuggets. Oh and if you are going to use the old card on the Celts, you have to use it on the Cavs as well. Shaq will be 38 and the Cavs are going to need him to be a force all season long just to have a realistic chance of making it back to the finals. How much of a beating a 38 year old Shaq can take will be the fate to the Cavs having a real shot of coming out of the east.

In that case as a Mavs fan the only team I'm worried about is the Lakers :)

Hornets may be a tough head to head matchup but considering their irrelevance it's nothing to worry about, just as the Lakers shouldn't worry about the Bobcats.

As for the Nuggets, a healthy J-Ho + Marion changes the dynamic of the team such that I think we've surpassed them :).

TDMVPDPOY
09-02-2009, 01:01 AM
wow thats a huge paycut he got....lol exposed

bostonguy
09-02-2009, 01:39 AM
In that case as a Mavs fan the only team I'm worried about is the Lakers :)

Hornets may be a tough head to head matchup but considering their irrelevance it's nothing to worry about, just as the Lakers shouldn't worry about the Bobcats.

As for the Nuggets, a healthy J-Ho + Marion changes the dynamic of the team such that I think we've surpassed them :).

Well you were an Antoine Wright fuckup away from evening the series. You did fight hard in that series. Wow I am actually agreeing with you dawg. :toast

23LeBronJames23
09-02-2009, 01:49 AM
hey bostonguy
LeBron got the Cavs to ECF without shaq. and he got to finals in 07 without shaq too. Now only if shaq could help LeBron and Cavs by not lettin D12,KG,TD or Gasol own cavs "bigman". That will help LeBron win it all.

bostonguy
09-02-2009, 01:53 AM
hey bostonguy
LeBron got the Cavs to ECF without shaq. and he got to finals in 07 without shaq too. Now only if shaq could help LeBron and Cavs by not lettin D12,KG,TD or Gasol own cavs "bigman". That will help LeBron win it all.

Teams who can pick and roll are going to shred the fuck out of the Cavs D.

23LeBronJames23
09-02-2009, 02:02 AM
You might have a better chance winning a title if you guys had signed Big Ben, rather than Shaq.

VrdHNRA6TFs

we already tried ben!

didnt work

Ghazi
09-02-2009, 03:06 AM
They won 66 games and had the highest margin of victory in the post Jordan era + historical defensive efficiency... there was nothing fluky about that Celtics title.

VivaPopovich
09-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Good deal for the Celtics.

A young guard to provide instant firepower off the bench.

LnGrrrR
09-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Yes, because they had 3 incredibly talented players that burned themselves out achieving that feat. Since that time, Pierce has fallen off the face of the Earth, and Garnett's time as an elite player has come and gone.

20.5 PPG this season isn't exactly falling off the face of the Earth.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-02-2009, 09:11 AM
20.5 PPG this season isn't exactly falling off the face of the Earth.

You shouldn't take Spurstrodamus so seriously, he's kinda retarded.

manufan10
09-02-2009, 09:16 AM
You shouldn't take Spurstrodamus so seriously, he's kinda retarded.

It's true. He is. :stirpot:

Ghazi
09-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Yes, because they had 3 incredibly talented players that burned themselves out achieving that feat. Since that time, Pierce has fallen off the face of the Earth, and Garnett's time as an elite player has come and gone.

I agree that their odds at a title are slim now, but they were clearly the best team in 2008.

Morg1411
09-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Um....right.

Dumbass.

Muser
09-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Anyone disputing the fact that Boston were not the best team in 07-08 are retarded.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Dispute anything I'm saying then.

You said Pierce has fallen off the face of the Earth.......players who score 20 PPG and lead a team to 62 wins haven't "fallen off the face of the Earth."

da_suns_fan
09-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Anyone disputing the fact that Boston were not the best team in 07-08 are retarded.

Did you not go to school? Seriously, did you drop out at an early age? This has nothing to do with Boston or basketball. Im honestly asking if you made it through high school (or are you still in school).

Muser
09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Did you not go to school? Seriously, did you drop out at an early age? This has nothing to do with Boston or basketball. Im honestly asking if you made it through high school (or are you still in school).

What? I was replying to something Spurstrodamus wrote

Clearly? So they would have handled the Spurs healthy? Sorry, I just don't see it. Atlanta took them to 7 games.

da_suns_fan
09-03-2009, 02:16 PM
What? I was replying to something Spurstrodamus wrote

Im not questioning that.

Did you, or did you not graduate? Or are you still in grammar/high school?

Muser
09-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Im not questioning that.

Did you, or did you not graduate? Or are you still in grammar/high school?

I'm starting University next year, what does that have to do with my post?

z0sa
09-03-2009, 03:11 PM
who's more talented than Boston? LA might be, but they've got chemistry issues to work out like it or not. Fisher is done. He hit some shots to quote SD, but that's bout it. there's a reason Farmar is putting the pressure on early. And artest? overrated on both ends.

and surely you don't believe the corpse of shaquille o'neal would have changed the assbeating orlando gave cleveland minus their second best player?