PDA

View Full Version : The NBA vs. Europe

alamo50
09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
by Casey Jacobsen

If I had a dollar for each time someone asked me what the differences are between the NBA and European basketball (FIBA), I could retire right now at the young age of 28. It’s a good question, and one that can’t be answered in few words.

Some background:

European basketball has been steadily improving for the past 30 years. Long before there was a Dirk Nowitzki, there was a Drazen Petrovic and an Arvydas Sabonis. Each year (or two), there were more European basketball players crossing the waters and testing their skill in the NBA. Fans of the game noticed the subtle change, but European basketball wasn’t really considered by most to be anywhere near the level to that of Americans. In fact, the USA was so dominant that for many years, we would send an Olympic team of college amateurs to compete against the professionals of every other country and still win the majority of competitions.

Related StoriesAllow Me to Introduce Myself

Finding His Niche

Pac-10 Recruiting Breakdown

Suns Meeting a Lot, Solving Little

Ben Wallace No Longer a Phoenix Sun

After the gap between Europe and the USA started to shrink in the 1980s, we decided to unleash our professionals and let the NBA players represent our country’s basketball ability. Our former dominance was soon restored, and it reached its pinnacle during the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain, when the USA assembled the greatest basketball team to ever walk on a hardwood floor. The “Dream Team,” led by Jordan, Barkley, Magic and Bird destroyed every country in their path and cruised to a gold medal. The following Olympics in 1996, the “Dream Team 2” also won easily with the average margin of victory over 30 ppg. In the last 16 Olympics, USA basketball has brought home the gold 13 times.

When that “Dream Team” era of players retired, however, something weird happened… The European teams no longer feared us. They already faced the Dream Team, and although they lost badly, in their minds, they realized that any other team that the U.S. puts on the floor will be inferior to the one led by MJ. As a result, these European teams who had been playing with each other for years developed a confidence that matched their growing skills at every position.

Countries like Greece, Argentina, Spain, Germany, Slovenia, Turkey, etc. were catching up to the USA and in many cases, beating them. Players like Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Hedo Turkoglu, Manu Ginobili and Pau Gasol were well-known players in all basketball circles. The NBA Draft was quickly becoming an international event. In the 2004 Olympics, Team USA, even with LeBron James and Dwayne Wade, took bronze. The gap had officially closed.

Basketball used to be an American game, and although the NBA is unquestionably the best league in the world, European basketball (FIBA) has significantly caught up and is still gaining ground. (If you don’t agree, think if all the European players who are starring in the NBA were still in Europe playing in their own countries.)

I’ve played four years in the NBA and another four years in Europe, so I have some experience with both. The similarity is obvious: basketball. Regardless of what country you play the game in, the basic principles of putting the ball in the basket still apply. But there are some significant differences between playing in the NBA and in Europe, both on and off the court:

1. The NBA game is much more about individual players than Europe. When you watch the Cleveland Cavaliers play, you’ll see LeBron James play one-on-one at least 15 times per game. He’s the best player. He gets the ball. The rules allow him to play isolation against his man—this idea is the core of what an NBA offense is about. In Europe, it is about team offense and defense. There are one-on-one opportunities, but they must come out of the team’s playbook, not your own. Even the most talented offensive players in Europe average less than 20 ppg.

2. FIBA rules are similar to those of college basketball in America. Games are only 40 minutes long (compared to 48 minutes in the NBA), the three-point lines are closer, and pure zone defenses are allowed. There are other smaller rule differences, but these I listed above are the ones that significantly change the way the game is played.

3. The NBA is about athleticism; Europe is about skill. Of course, the NBA players are skilled, but that isn’t what drives the League. Athleticism is the trump card. Even if a player has minimal skill, as long as he can run fast, slide quickly and jump high, an NBA team will find him a roster spot. The idea behind this philosophy is that coaches can teach a player how to make a jump shot, make good passes, and so on… but you can’t teach a 40-inch vertical leap! In Europe, if you can’t dribble, pass and shoot, then you don’t play—at least not with an elite club. It’s as simple as that.

4. European coaches have a lot of power and influence on their teams. Coaching in the NBA is a difficult task because of two major factors: 1) The players make a lot more money than the coach does (except Phil Jackson)—thus the players are less likely to be released/traded if the team doesn’t do well. The NBA coach is the first to be fired and everyone knows this fact; and 2) The NBA is getting younger and younger—the kids playing in the NBA haven’t been to more than one or two years of college (and some not at all!), which makes it harder for coaches to win games with such inexperienced players. Coaches of veteran teams like the Lakers, Spurs and Magic have an advantage. In Europe, the coach is often paid more than the players and demands the kind of respect that college coaches in America get.

5. Money made in Europe is tax-free, and organizations pay for most your living expenses, including housing and a car. The way it works is the monetary contract you sign with a European club is your net-salary. The club pays taxes, on your behalf, to the country that you play in. The American player then gets credit with the U.S. Government for taxes that were paid (so your money can’t be taxed twice). Players still pay some federal taxes (a small amount) as well as State taxes, according to where they live. The European club will also provide a house/apartment and a car. That leaves only food, gas and cell phone/internet as your expenses. Not a bad gig!

6. NBA plays 82 regular season games in six months, European leagues play 40-60 games over eight months. In Europe, you practice a lot more. Often, you have two practices per day throughout that eight-month season. On average, European teams only play twice a week. In the NBA, you are playing 3-4 (and sometimes 5) times per week, which doesn’t allow a lot of time for team practicing. This might be one of the biggest differences, from a player’s standpoint.

7. Player salaries are significantly higher in the NBA. The average salary of an NBA player is around $4.5 million (pre-tax), and “superstars” make a lot more than that (Kobe and KG make around $18-20 million per year). In Europe, salaries vary between countries, but the best players make around 2-3 million Euros (tax-free)… although there are only a handful of those players. Most are playing for well less than $1 million.

8. Travel/hotel accommodations. In the NBA, every team travels by private plane and stays in the nicest hotels in the U.S. In Europe, teams travel by commercial airline (if a game is far away) or by bus. In Germany and Spain, we’d often take a bus to games that were inside the country.

Casey Jacobsen is a former SLAM High School First Team All-American and NCAA First Team All-American. He currently plays for Brose Baskets in Bamberg, Germany.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/08/the-nba-vs-europe/

manufan10
09-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Is lies! American propaganda! IDIOTS!

sonic21
09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
let us stop bullshit.

greek league > nba

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-02-2009, 09:29 AM
And everything KBP said is now proven as TRUE

I said players salaries are NET and that players taxes are paid and ALL fans here say i make this up and lie about it.

I said players get free housing and car and ALL fans here say I lie and make this up.

Now you stupid motherfucking bitches are OWNED. Do not ever again fucking start your shit with me here as you have now been completely proven to be liars and me the truth teller.

And fucking cocksucker Mountainbalelr just got proven as being a LIAR as he over and over and over makes up the lie to American fans here that I lie about the salaries being net in Europe and the taxes being paid.

Well this motherfucking POS Mountainballer should now be fucking pinked. If the forum is even in the smallest way fair he will be.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-02-2009, 09:31 AM
by Casey Jacobsen

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao

nkdlunch
09-02-2009, 09:31 AM
this proves Vaginis is the most skilled player on the planet

manufan10
09-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I think I'm going to sign up and play basketball in Greece. I'll be a Hall of Famer in no time.

sonic21
09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I think I'm going to sign up and play basketball in Greece. I'll be a Hall of Famer in no time.

but you won't be paid though

manufan10
09-02-2009, 10:02 AM
but you won't be paid though

According to KBP I'll be the best player ever. I'll have my own house and car. I'm set! Greece here I come! I've had lots of practice on this:

http://i1.lelong.com.my/UserImages/Items/0906/23/[email protected]

23LeBronJames23
09-02-2009, 10:12 AM
According to KBP I'll be the best player ever. I'll have my own house and car. I'm set! Greece here I come! I've had lots of practice on this:

http://i1.lelong.com.my/UserImages/Items/0906/23/[email protected]

:lmao have fun

Hornets1
09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao

I know, right:lol. Was part of the "great" 04-05 Hornets. He is as Soft as silk.

mogrovejo
09-02-2009, 11:14 PM
1. Correct. However, it's worth to note that this gap has been being closed in the last 5/10 years, with NBA teams playing more team oriented basketball. Plus, a big reason for this is that players like LeBron James (of his kind) are basically non-existent in Europe. The scarcity of great shot-creators (superstars, if you will) leads to more team oriented offences. On the top of that, the difference in the rules make successful ISOs plays more difficult to happen.

2. Incomplete.

Trapezoid lane: post players tend to play higher. Less spacing in the lane available. Bigs drifting to the outside (and therefore Europe produces a lot of good jump-shooting bigs).
No defensive 3 seconds/pure zones: makes driving and scoring more difficult. More passing, more mid-range/outside shots.
Different goal-tending rules.
Officiating: European referees tend to allow a lot more contact. Hand-checking is allowed. Moving screens are called differently (and, in my point of view, more accurately) , NBA refs would call a foul on 50% of the screens in FIBA basketball. More contact allowed in the low post. More difficult to perimeter players to drive.

3. Well, the decalage between the NBA and European leagues in regards to athleticism is bigger than the one that exists in terms of skill, I guess. However, in average, NBA players are still way more skilled than Europeans ones. And there are plenty of players in Europe who can't shoot, dribble or pass, even among the elite ones (Fran Vasquez comes to mind). But yeah, also because of the rules, athleticism is less of a factor in European basketball than in the NBA.

4. True (with exceptions on both sides, of course).

5. Well, true I gues, but this is nonsense. It's frustating how so many people don't understand this "basketball players don't pay taxes in Europe" thing. Technically, it's still the player that pays his taxes, although salaries are negotiated net. But this is all reduced to the existence of PAYE (Pay As You Earn) systems in European countries. Read about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAYE

As for the fringe benefits, it depends on where you're playing. Jacobsen has to pay his internet and cell, if he was playing for Real or Olympiacos, he wouldnt' even have to pay for the computer and he'd have a credit card for his daily expenses (and a much better car). On the other hand, a guy who plays in the German regional league gets a room in a cheap motel and some bus tickets. But this is basically another way to pay salary.

6. True.

7. True.

8. Well, it doesn't make sense for European teams to have private planes because European countries are much smaller than the US. Some teams, the richest Russian ones, do have private planes, because their country is bigger.

Glaring omissions, besides the ones noted above:

- the absence of parity. Unlike the NBA, there's not a single league in Europe. There are dozens of them, with different levels. There are no closed leagues. And, more importantly, there's no salary cap rules. This means that there are huge differences in terms of quality even for teams playing in the same league. A bit like the college game. For example, you can have a game between two teams where the 12th man of one of them would be the best player in their opponents.

- the developmental system.

- the popularity of the game. This is the biggest one. In many European countries, basketball is an afterthough. There's a single domestic league with average attendances > 5,000 per game. Basketball players aren't stars (except in Lithuania and for guys named Ricky Rubio). Clubs aren't profitable organizations (and aren't supposed to be, anyway).

z0sa
09-02-2009, 11:21 PM
casey jacobsen could hit 3/4 court threes in nba live 2004.