09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_ryan_gomes.jpg

Ryan Gomes | F
Born: Sep 1, 1982
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 245 lbs. / 111,1 kg.
College: Providence
Years Pro: 4

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ryan_gomes/index.html)

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Odd timing....Why post this now? Did he just pop into your mind or have you heard something?

ss1986v2
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
wolves probably arent interested in moving him. gomes seems to be a part of at least their short-term future. we probably wouldnt be offering what it would take to entice the wolves, nor would i be willing to overpay for what we really dont need.

Bruno
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Odd timing....Why post this now? Did he just pop into your mind or have you heard something?

I heard nothing special and I'm not even sure he is on the trading block.

I really wanted him last summer and with the Rubio story, his name pop up in my mind again. I think he could help Spurs so I wanted to know what other posters think about him.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Ahh, ok, got ya.

I have always liked Gomes and he is a nice scorer and has good size. He would be great, but I do not see why they would trade him.

He gives them over 10 PPG (sometimes he has bursts of 20+) and he is very, very cheap and his contract is largely not guaranteed.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I also really wanted Rashad McCants when he was with Minny as well.

Gomes would be almost the perfect back up SF, plus he is still pretty young.

It would be excellent to bring Hill, Manu, Gomes off of the bench.

Muser
09-02-2009, 05:20 PM
I like him. What would it take to get him?

MaNu4Tres
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
The only way I'd trade for anyone at this point is if they will be able to crack the playoff "7-9" man rotation whenever a decisive game 5 is at stake.

In this case I'd send Bonner and a pick for Gomes if possible.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't know why they would trade him. He is one of their top 3 scorers and he makes under 4M a year.

Also, his contract next year and the year after is only partially guaranteed. They probably don't want Hill because they drafted many PG's this year. Maybe Ian or Tiago would interest them and they could be packaged with Bonner or Finley. But I do not see it to be honest.

MaNu4Tres
09-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't know why they would trade him. He is one of their top 3 scorers and he makes under 4M a year.

Also, his contract next year and the year after is only partially guaranteed. They probably don't want Hill because they drafted many PG's this year. Maybe Ian or Tiago would interest them and they could be packaged with Bonner or Finley. But I do not see it to be honest.

I agree.

Bruno
09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Gomes contract becomes fully guaranteed next July. If Wolves plains to cut him before that to save money, trading him before the trade deadline for expiring contracts is significantly better. So Gomes contract being not fully guaranteed is quite meaningless.

It would make sense for Wolves to keep Gomes but their new GM has done a lot of surprising moves this summer. Maybe Gomes isn't also in his plans.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
"Ryan Gomes: Signed a three year minimum salary contract in August 2005. Qualifying offer extended in June 2008. Re-signed for 5 years and $21.175 million in July 2008. Contract contains incentives currently listed as likely that boost the contract's value by $150,000 a year. Third and fourth years are $1 million guaranteed only, final year $750,000 guaranteed only. All three years become fully guaranteed if Gomes is not waived before June 30th 2010."

Bruno, so what is the point of giving him a partially guaranteed contract for multiple years if they all become guaranteed in 2010? Makes no sense to me. I cannot remember another contract like that. Could you explain?

But anyways, if they trade him for an expiring, it saves them the 1 million buyout next year, correct? Maybe a little more if they trade for a player that makes slightly less than his salary this year, but falls within the trade guidelines? Or am I missing something?

Beyond all that, I have not seen anything to suggest Gomes not being kept, even though there are some strange moves being made.

Bruno
09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
"Ryan Gomes: Signed a three year minimum salary contract in August 2005. Qualifying offer extended in June 2008. Re-signed for 5 years and $21.175 million in July 2008. Contract contains incentives currently listed as likely that boost the contract's value by $150,000 a year. Third and fourth years are $1 million guaranteed only, final year $750,000 guaranteed only. All three years become fully guaranteed if Gomes is not waived before June 30th 2010."

Bruno, so what is the point of giving him a partially guaranteed contract for multiple years if they all become guaranteed in 2010? Makes no sense...

But anyways, if they trade him for an expiring, it saves them the 1 million buyout next year, correct? Maybe a little more if they trade for a player that makes slightly less than his salary this year, but falls within the trade guidelines?

No, it makes sense.
This salary is structured with the 2010 free agency class in mind.

If Gomes sucks and/or if Wolves want to free up cap space, they can cut him and he will only take $1M in capspace. James Jones with Miami and Najera with Nets have also that kind of contracts.

If they trade him for an expiring contract, it will save them $2.75M compared to waiving him before July 2010.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Oh I see, so the total value of the contract is partially guaranteed. So if they waive him, he gets:

1M from next year, 1M from the year after, and 750K from the last year.

But why not just make that 2.75M the partial guarantee for next year instead of spreading it out? Or do they get to pay the money owed in each separate year?

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
After further review of the Wolves roster and cap situation, one could look at it like this.

If the Wolves thought they could lure a big FA or a couple good ones, and that was their plan:

They have about 10M in team options (Kevin Love, Corey Brewer & Pecherov). You would assume Love is a lock, but if Brewer does not respond from the injury they could let go of him and Pecherov (shedding 6M of their payroll).

If they also traded Gomes for an expiring, he would only count 1M against the cap next year.

That would be a max of ~38M - 7M bringing their payroll to about 31M next year if my math on Gomes is correct.

Looking at that, they could want to move Gomes, but he is still a cheap option to fill out the roster for them even if they keep him.

Bruno
09-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Oh I see, so the total value of the contract is partially guaranteed. So if they waive him, he gets:

1M from next year, 1M from the year after, and 750K from the last year.

Yes.

But why not just make that 2.75M the partial guarantee for next year instead of spreading it out? Or do they get to pay the money owed in each separate year?

The payment of the money and the salary cap hit are unrelated. Finley will get Money fro Cuban over something like a 20 years period.

They spread it to create as much cap space as possible if they waive him. By spreading it, they create $1.75M more for the 2010 free agent market.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 06:16 PM
So for salary cap reasons, only the money owed from that in a particular year is what counts against the cap, correct.

Bruno
09-02-2009, 06:33 PM
So for salary cap reasons, only the money owed from that in a particular year is what counts against the cap, correct.

I don't know what you want but to explain it simply :

When a player is under contract, the money given to him per year is almost always equal to his salary cap amount. I said almsot because there are signing bonuses and trade kickers for certains players.

When a player is waived, the money given to him per year isn't related to his salary cap amount. There are clauses saying in his contract how the money should be paid.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I was trying to figure out the Wolves cap space next year if they traded Gomes and let Brewer and Pecherov go.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 06:44 PM
The payment of the money and the salary cap hit are unrelated. Finley will get Money fro Cuban over something like a 20 years period.

They spread it to create as much cap space as possible if they waive him. By spreading it, they create $1.75M more for the 2010 free agent market.

This was the quote throwing me off. Because if he was waived and the payments did not effect the cap space, why would spreading it out matter.

By saying they save 1.75 next year in space, leads me to believe that the money owed to Gomes (1M) next year would count against the cap. Like I said above.

Bruno
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I was trying to figure out the Wolves cap space next year if they traded Gomes and let Brewer and Pecherov go.

Well you can calculate it:

Jefferson: $13M
Songaila: $4.8M
Love: $3.6M
Flynn: $3.2M
Hollins: $2.3M
Ellington: $1.1M
Rights to Rubio: $2.8M
Minny 2010 first round pick: ? (let's say $2M)
4 cap holds: $1.9M

So it's $34.7M.

The 10-11 salary cap has been projected between $50.4M and $53.6M. So Wolves will be between $16.7M and $19.9M bellow the cap.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I was forgetting to calculate Rubio and their other first round pick in.

Still don't know if they would trade Gomes. It would all be speculation based on what we think Minny wants to do with 2010. It would probably depend on how Gomes does this year as well and the team in general.

Bruno
09-02-2009, 07:13 PM
This was the quote throwing me off. Because if he was waived and the payments did not effect the cap space, why would spreading it out matter.

By saying they save 1.75 next year in space, leads me to believe that the money owed to Gomes (1M) next year would count against the cap. Like I said above.

If Gomes is waived before July 2010, he will get $2.75M by Minny.

Now there are two questions:
- When will he get the money.
- How these $2.75M will count against the cap.

Answers to both questions aren't related.

The $2.75M will count for $1M in 10-11, $1M in 11-12 and $750K in 12-13. Gomes contract could have been "if he is waived before July 2010, 10-11 is $2.75M guaranteed and the rest is fully unguaranteed". If Gomes contract was that, it would have counted for $2.75M against the cap in 10-11 and Wolves would have had $1.75M less in cap space for the 2010 summer.

The $2.75M will be paid to Gomes according to a clause in his contract. As example, it could be $250K per year during 11 years.

Got it ?

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Yes, that is what I said after you explained it.

What I meant when I said this was that since his contract stated he would be owed 1M next year if waived, that would be the cap hit. Then the next year would be the same and so forth...

I was not worried so much about when he was paid, but how much each year would count against the cap. So the amount he is "owed" in each year from his contract is what counts against the cap, even though he might not get paid that amount during the year.

That is why spreading it out saved them money against the cap. Got it :lol

My initial math was correct, but I forgot to add Rubio+Next Years Pick.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Bruno, Finley+Williams for Gomes works.

Not only would they save 2.75M from Gomes in 2011, but they could cut Williams to save an additional amount next year. How much is Williams guaranteed and by when, it does not say in shamsports.

mountainballer
09-03-2009, 05:02 AM
Gomes would in fact be a player, who would bring some nice additional qualities and who is enough of the typical role player, that he would fit well in the role of a 7th or 8th man.
but why would the Wolves hand him over? (I assume we don't offer the Splitter rights)
he is good, he is young, the price is low, he is smart, he works hard, he's a team guy and leader. and I don't think they will sacrifice him to get cap space in 2010, when no major FA will ever go there anyhow. well, on the other hand, it's the Wolves.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I've always thought of Gomes and Keith Bogans as future Spurs players for some reason. Both decent players, always liked them.

Bruno
09-03-2009, 02:55 PM

Not only would they save 2.75M from Gomes in 2011, but they could cut Williams to save an additional amount next year. How much is Williams guaranteed and by when, it does not say in shamsports.

Williams contract is likely fully non-guaranteed.

Gomes can play both SF and PF.
To create enough playing time for him and to save some tax money, the perfect scenario would be a trade where both Finley and Bonner were traded for him.

A trade like Bonner + Finley + 1st round pick for Gomes + Bobby Brown would be quite nice for Spurs. Spurs could salary dump Bobby Brown after that.
Players like Bonner and Finley have no value for a rebuilding team like Minny. However, they have some value for pretenders looking for shooting and/or vet experience so you can imagine some 3 way trades.

DPG21920
09-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Do you think the Sessions signing will have an impact on anything? I cannot imagine they are signing him to be a back up, at least not right away.

MaNu4Tres
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Do you think the Sessions signing will have an impact on anything? I cannot imagine they are signing him to be a back up, at least not right away.

Mostly as insurance if Johnny Flinn is not ready to compete on the court with starter minutes (34-38mpg).

4yr/16 million dollar deal is a great valued deal for the Wolves. I assume him and Flinn will split time at the PG at 24-26 mpg each. That would make the label of a "starter" irrelevant.

DPG21920
09-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Who plays in the crunch time is what matters. I was speaking more to the availability of a player like Gomes.

Chieflion
09-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Gomes is a tweener whose minutes will be reduced because of Kevin Love's development next season. However, the Wolves need a SG but we can't give them any. That is where the problem lies. I am also against giving out our 1st round pick unless another early second comes back. The Wolves have too many picks as well, so unless we find a third party, Gomes is not going to be in San Antonio any time soon.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I've always thought of Gomes and Keith Bogans as future Spurs players for some reason. Both decent players, always liked them.

1 more left :)

JamStone
09-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I liked Ryan Gomes out of college. Wanted the Pistons to take him instead of Jason Maxiell. But, I don't know if he's solved the issue teams had back then. What position does he play? He has good shooting skills and some perimeter skills to play the small forward position but absolutely does not have the lateral quickness to stay with most small forwards. And while he has extraordinarily long arms, he's still quite undersized to play the 4. If he could lose maybe 15 lbs or convert it to lean muscle that would enable him to move better laterally, he could be a very good small forward. Until then, I wonder if he could be a difference maker on a good team.

ginobilized
09-22-2009, 08:06 PM

No way! We can't lose Bruno. Finley and Williams, ok.....there are many other spurstalk members we could include in this trade besides Bruno. We need his French connections and cap savvy.:lol

timtonymanu
09-23-2009, 04:50 AM

well you were half right.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-23-2009, 06:51 AM
:lol

sananspursfan21
09-25-2009, 11:16 AM
i like gomes. reminds me a lot of shawn marion without so much of the annoying flick shot

Spursfanfromafar
02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Can the Spurs make a trade for Gomes by giving up Mason + Mahinmi before the deadline?

SpurNation
02-05-2010, 02:38 PM
If the Spurs had Dalembert and Iguodala at the risk of not resigning Manu next year would you be in favor of this trade?

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5434006

A complete change of the team for the rest of this season to see if it could gel and be a legit contender for next season.