PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen will hold a press conference tomorrow

PeterBurns
09-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Press Conference at 2P at Yardley's Spa.
Now the question, do you put the jersey in the rafters?

Juanobili
09-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Definitely.

Spurs Brazil
09-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Definitely.

:tu

Da Spurs
09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Nope.

Mel_13
09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
So you're saying this won't be about a client list?

Solid D
09-02-2009, 06:07 PM

:rollin

tp2021
09-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Does anybody know what its about?

baseline bum
09-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Damn, I was really hoping to see Bruce back for one more shot a title. :(

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Don't give up Baseline. One word: Farve

z0sa
09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I won't believe retirement til he says it. Not when he was bothering the hell out of people in his limited minutes just last season.

crc21209
09-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Does anybody know what its about?

It's gotta be about retirement...

Spursfan092120
09-02-2009, 06:43 PM
At least he's going out a Spur... :D What a career...we better hang the jersey..without his defense, we don't win at least 2 of those rings.

lefty
09-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Damn :depressed

CubanSucks
09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Nope.

DPoY runner up 2 seasons (maybe even 3 can't remember). A million clutch shots. Defense against all stars that lowered their PPG during the playoffs(Carmelo, Nash, Dirk, Ray allen, etc.). A million memories (my favorite being his staredown of the Suns bench after the 3 pointer on their side during that epic 07 series; and of coarse the Billups block). Oh yeah, and he has 3 rings.

Your argument?

EricB
09-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Jersey should hang IMMEDIATELY this year.

Find a night in early December please :)

ducks
09-02-2009, 07:26 PM
do it right after the rodeo trip

MaNu4Tres
09-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I hope it's about a once in a lifetime raffle for a free pedicure.

C'mon Bruce don't let us down.

ducks
09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
I hope it's about a once in a lifetime raffle for a free pedicure.

C'mon Bruce don't let us down.

it is spurs front office not bruce

SA210
09-02-2009, 07:47 PM
:pop::pctoss

SpurNation
09-02-2009, 07:48 PM
If this is the official retirement speach....:depressed

Thank you Bruce. Number 12 will be in the raftors.

ThePop
09-02-2009, 07:49 PM
:cry:depressed

greyforest
09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
DPoY runner up 2 seasons (maybe even 3 can't remember). A million clutch shots. Defense against all stars that lowered their PPG during the playoffs(Carmelo, Nash, Dirk, Ray allen, etc.). A million memories (my favorite being his staredown of the Suns bench after the 3 pointer on their side during that epic 07 series; and of coarse the Billups block). Oh yeah, and he has 3 rings.

Your argument?

as much as i love all of the things you just described, the spurs always pride themselves on being a class act franchise. bowen, despite his friendly demeanor off court does have some undeniable dirt associated with him.

EricB
09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
:pop::pctoss

Yes.

Pop told Bruce to retire.

Fucking moron.

tp2021
09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Do players usually hold retirement press conferences at a non-organizational location?

HarlemHeat37
09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Bowen is one of the classiest guys in the league..yes, he is a dirty player, but I can probably name you at least 20 players that have or will have their jerseys retired that have reputations as "dirty" players..just because there are so many whiners in this soft league, doesn't mean Bowen shouldn't get his jersey retired for it..

Notice that pretty much everybody that has called out Bowen has had a reputation as moist and soft..shit, I hate Kobe, but he's one of the toughest guys in the league, and he has loved playing against Bowen..

Absolutely deserves to have his jersey retired, and nobody can argue against the facts..his accolades as an ELITE defensive player on MULTIPLE title teams will easily do it for him..

EricB
09-02-2009, 08:03 PM
as much as i love all of the things you just described, the spurs always pride themselves on being a class act franchise. bowen, despite his friendly demeanor off court does have some undeniable dirt associated with him.

?

What dirt would this be?

EricB
09-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Bowen is one of the classiest guys in the league..yes, he is a dirty player, but I can probably name you at least 20 players that have or will have their jerseys retired that have reputations as "dirty" players..just because there are so many whiners in this soft league, doesn't mean Bowen shouldn't get his jersey retired for it..

Notice that pretty much everybody that has called out Bowen has had a reputation as moist and soft..shit, I hate Kobe, but he's one of the toughest guys in the league, and he has loved playing against Bowen..

Absolutely deserves to have his jersey retired, and nobody can argue against the facts..his accolades as an ELITE defensive player on MULTIPLE title teams will easily do it for him..

He was not dirty.

King
09-02-2009, 08:12 PM
He was not dirty.

I love Bruce - and I loved his style of play -- but if he were on any other team, many people (you included) would want him crucified.

greyforest
09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
theres a reason people talk about bowen playing dirty. there are more incidents than chance alone could account for.

that doesn't detract at all from his otherwise classy demeanor and top echelon skill, but these things must be weighed together when deciding who to retire, and i'm just noting that the spurs franchise values class a lot.

Samr
09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
What is that saying... something like "if you aren't cheating you aren't trying"?

Yeah, the dude played HARD defense. Sometimes he pushed the boundaries. But it wasn't because he was deliberately attempting to do so; the guy wanted to make sure his man never touched the ball, and if he did, that he never made a shot. When Kobe is in the air, Bruce doesn't have time to stop and think "oh no, I need to contest this shot, but I better make sure I only do it to the extent that I do not land underneath him."

As anyone who has ever played any type of competitive sports will agree, in the heat of the moment, you simply don't have that time. I used to run x-country; not that I ever wanted to injure someone else, but it happened. I'd step on a dude's heel trying to pass him; one guy and I were hurdling a bail of hay, our legs got tangled, and he fell hard. IT HAPPENS. In the heat of the moment, if you want to win, you cover your own ass first.

If you are consciously following every single rule, you aren't trying. Bruce tried his ass off. In the process, yeah, some people might have gotten injured or a bit offended. It's called "competition." If you sign up to play the game, you sign up to compete. If Vince Carter doesn't like getting physical, he should take up figure skating. Or soccer.

Saying Bruce Bowen has an asterisk on his retirement because he was a "dirty player" is like saying David Robinson deserves an asterisk because he was "soft." There are different ways to play the game. They both played it in the style of their choosing. So what?

Bruce Bowen will always be a Spur, retired or not. The guy meant a lot to the franchise and just as much if not more to the city. He worked selflessly and with the goal of helping the team succeed; he gave back the the community and genuinely cared about helping those around him. He was a class act on the floor and off. The kind of role model you want for your kids.

Bowen, thanks for the memories.

Showtime24 LAKERS
09-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Damn, I was really hoping to see Bruce back for one more shot a title. :(

LOL not in this decade!

completely deck
09-02-2009, 08:28 PM
LOL not in this decade!

Karma's a bitch. Remember that in the Spring.

King
09-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Saying Bruce Bowen has an asterisk on his retirement because he was a "dirty player" is like saying David Robinson deserves an asterisk because he was "soft." There are different ways to play the game. They both played it in the style of their choosing. So what?

Who's saying there's an asterisk on anything? Bruce was amazing. Ridiculously quick, tenacious, etc. But, if you (or anyone) has the gall to call any single player in the NBA dirty, then Bruce has to be considered in that argument.

I'm fine with everything he did, but I also don't bitch about other players as being dirty.

All I'm saying is, don't use the double standard. Either acknowledge that he was dirty, or acknowledge that all the other 'dirty players' in the league are just playing hard.

TacoCabanaFajitas
09-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Kinda brings a tear to my eye, Bruce has truly embodied what the Spurs as a franchise have stood for over the last 10 years. Defense. Hard work. Team-first mentality. I will be flying to SA to whatever game they retire the jersey at.

MarCowMar
09-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Bruce isn't any dirtier than Jordan or other hyper-competitive players.

I think this is all being done for dramatic effect. Bruce will retire, we'll retire his jersey. Then at the end of the season he'll re-sign with the Spurs and we'll bring his Jersey down from the rafters and he'll burn his dress shirt and change into the jersey. Don't y'all watch the movies?

Drachen
09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Do players usually hold retirement press conferences at a non-organizational location?

Stephon Marbury held his on Ustream

pad300
09-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Jersey should hang IMMEDIATELY this year.

Find a night in early December please :)

Naw, next year. Leave the door open a crack, just in case we need swingman because of injury issues just before the playoffs...

xtremesteven33
09-02-2009, 08:51 PM
1 more year Bruce Baby....

Manufan909
09-02-2009, 08:58 PM

I love the sig that a laker fan here has iirc, where a pic with Kobe and Bowen has the caption: "game respects game".

diego
09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Bruce was competitive dirty, but he wasnt i want to injure you dirty. The only real stain on Bruce's career was the kick to Ray allen's back. other than that there's really nothing, VC missing a couple weeks after twisting his ankle on him barely registers as anything. when you take into consideration that bruce played almost all of his many minutes guarding the other teams best player (and was therefore in the spotlight as the "bad guy" everytime he played) theres barely 4-5 accidental collisions that didnt result in any injury and people use them to imply he was(!?) a headhunter when nothing could be further from the truth.

If this is retirement I hope he gets his honors and keeps some kind of position near the team.

DPG21920
09-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Stephon Marbury held his on Ustream

:wow:rollin

spursnatic
09-02-2009, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=Da Spurs;3666136]Nope.[/QUOTE Are you retarded or what?....How the fuck can you not put his jersey in the rafters?...Stupid fucking comment...

Manufan909
09-02-2009, 09:16 PM
What is that saying... something like "if you aren't cheating you aren't trying"?
That is a fucking horrible saying. I've played competitive sports, and dirty play can easily be thought of "in the moment", or before if you want to get technical. Not saying Bruce shouldn't have his jersey hanging from the rafters, but he was intentionally dirty at times in his career. But above all, he intentionally tried to be the best he could at defense, and became a mostly shining example of individual/perimeter D.

If Vince Carter doesn't like getting physical, he should take up figure skating. Or soccer.

Idk if you just have not played competitive soccer, or if you're just joking and I'm overreacting, but are you fucking kidding me!?! Soccer is physical, don't let the flopping of the professional level fool you. The lower levels, such as club and high school soccer are intense, even if it's not a pressure game, or there is no real rivalry. There is a lot of things players can get away with, especially in a game where your arms are in no way needed (outside of keepers), and in many cases players end up on a collision course going for the ball, and someone will have to give, or it'll get ugly. And don't even get me started on multiple players going for headers.

And to talk about the first thing I quoted you on, being dirty isn't a crime of passion imo, it is a temptation that I have been able to mostly resist. But I've never played in professional leagues/national tourneys, so the temptation might be too much there. Also, I'm not a great actor, so I would probably get caught most of the time, lol.

Samr
09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes, soccer was a joke. I know it's physical; I tried playing it recreationally with a dude who wanted to play it professionally. I've never felt so sore in my life. But, I had to pick on someone, and soccer players are just the natural target.

As far as cheating being a temptation -- and I'm NOT talking about Bowen here at all -- just look at all the steroids not just in baseball but in professional sports in general. Track stars, baseball players, baseball players, some football players. Hell, I LOVE the sport of cycling, but cheating (e.g. steroids) is so prevalent that absolutely everyone is under question, and the champions are essentially guilty until proven innocent. But the reason for it is obvious: if you are competitive, there's A LOT of money on the table. But in order to be competitive, if the person isn't naturally one of the best, they have to cheat.

So yeah, for mediocre players who can make money if they succeed, if they aren't cheating they aren't trying. It's a gamble they're willing to take, and IMO it's absolutely terrible for the quality of competition, and for the fans.

tmtcsc
09-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Yessir, it belongs in the rafters asap.

Timmy21D
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
1st post, great forum and Bruce was one mean mothereffer on D. I'll be staying tuned to what he has to say.

Buddy Holly
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
No guys, this "retirement" presser is just so they can really dodge any "collusion" talk once and for all.

Oh wait, no, he's really retiring.

Thank you for all the great years Bruce.

duncan228
09-02-2009, 10:04 PM
1st post...

Welcome to the board.

florige
09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Out of his many great defensive plays, I think the one that stands out for me is that perfect block on Billups in game 7 of the finals.

florige
09-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Mine is that block from behind he had on Dirk. I saw it the whole way and I tohught to myself, how many players would have either lacked the awareness to make that move or would have just given up? The only other person I see making that play is Manu.

Yeah I remember that one too. It was awesome because of the size difference. That block he had on Chauncey just pretty much told me yep, this series is over. He pretty much took the air out of the Pistons with that one.

Trainwreck2100
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
seriously he's doing it at a spa?

Thompson
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
My definition of 'dirty' is someone who intentionally tries to hurt other players, which I don't think Bowen did. People came down on his feet more often because Bruce played smothering defense, he didn't give an inch to allow them to be more comfortable (how many other players in the league smother someone like Bruce did?). A lot of shooters jump forward when they're shooting anyway, and Bruce being right in your face would mean you'd come down near him or on top of him. As for the infamous youtube video of the kick to the face, Bruce was again playing good defense by jumping with his arms up to contest the shot and throwing his legs wide to cut off potential passing lanes. He is airborne when the other player stops faking and drives forward, and actually hits Bowen's foot with his face. Yes, I'm serious. Watch the video.

I'll miss Bowen, but hopefully he'll come to a lot of games like David does. It's always nice to see them in the stands or joking with Tim and the rest of the team. I'm sure they'll retire his jersey eventually, but it would be cool if it went up to the rafters almost immediately.

Thompson
09-02-2009, 10:23 PM
seriously he's doing it at a spa?

His wife's spa. Free publicity, basically. He's a smart businessman, it's good to know he probably won't fritter his money away like so many other players.

Manufan909
09-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Yes, soccer was a joke. I know it's physical; I tried playing it recreationally with a dude who wanted to play it professionally. I've never felt so sore in my life. But, I had to pick on someone, and soccer players are just the natural target.

As far as cheating being a temptation -- and I'm NOT talking about Bowen here at all -- just look at all the steroids not just in baseball but in professional sports in general. Track stars, baseball players, baseball players, some football players. Hell, I LOVE the sport of cycling, but cheating (e.g. steroids) is so prevalent that absolutely everyone is under question, and the champions are essentially guilty until proven innocent. But the reason for it is obvious: if you are competitive, there's A LOT of money on the table. But in order to be competitive, if the person isn't naturally one of the best, they have to cheat.

So yeah, for mediocre players who can make money if they succeed, if they aren't cheating they aren't trying. It's a gamble they're willing to take, and IMO it's absolutely terrible for the quality of competition, and for the fans.

Ok, I just misunderstood you then, my bad. And I was only of thinking of cheating on the court, but I get what you're saying now.

FromWayDowntown
09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
His wife's spa. Free publicity, basically. He's a smart businessman, it's good to know he probably won't fritter his money away like so many other players.

Technically, he's also not a member of the Spurs at this point. While the association is hard to ignore, the fact is that he is a free agent. I can't imagine that the league would have anything to say about the Spurs hosting a press conference for a player whose rights are not theirs, but I'll admit that some things that the NBA does are puzzling to me and a prohibition against those sorts of things wouldn't really surprise me.

But, assuming that this is basketball-related in some sense, I think the more likely explanation is the opportunity to have the press conference in a comfortable location and gain some small business advantage in the process.

tp2021
09-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Out of his many great defensive plays, I think the one that stands out for me is that perfect block on Billups in game 7 of the finals.

+1

A game-sealing block in a game 7 in the finals? That is dripping with epicness

meestahmeestah
09-02-2009, 10:37 PM
+1

A game-sealing block in a game 7 in the finals? That is dripping with epicness

What I liked best about that block was that the entire game, hell, the entire series, Pop had Bruce chasing Rip through all the screens, disrupting him as much as he could, and Billups was muscling Tony Parker whenever he could and you could tell Tony was kind of getting worn out defending Billups.

So, in the 4th quarter Pop switched TP on Rip (speed to chase through the screens instead of bulldoze through them like Bruce would) and more importantly, the best perimeter defender on Mr. Big Shot. Classic chess move with a classic chess piece, and the block on Billups was when I finally exhaled and began to celebrate.

Raise #12 to the rafters...the sooner the better.

pawe
09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
His number will be retired...book it!

EricB
09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
A dirty player is someone who intentionally tries to injure a player.

Never once did Bruce Bowen do that.

Spursfan092120
09-02-2009, 11:19 PM
A dirty player is someone who intentionally tries to injure a player.

Never once did Bruce Bowen do that.
game..set..match

EricB
09-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I;m just curious as to the examples of these "dirty" plays.

getting in aguy's face on the perimiter? not giving him room to drive to the basket?

OH MY!!!!

Spursfan092120
09-02-2009, 11:26 PM
I;m just curious as to the examples of these "dirty" plays.

getting in aguy's face on the perimiter? not giving him room to drive to the basket?

OH MY!!!!
The only one I can remember is kicking Wally in the face..but he was in a hurry to get to him....he was jumping, thinking he was shooting..

EricB
09-02-2009, 11:27 PM
The only one I can remember is kicking Wally in the face..but he was in a hurry to get to him....he was jumping, thinking he was shooting..

If thats the only example, then IMO, the arguement holds zippo water.

TD 21
09-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I, like many of you, am a huge Bowen fan. His importance and significance during his time as a Spur went far beyond what any statistical measurement could indicate. That being said, I'm not sure he deserves his jersey retired. I'm not saying he doesn't, but he's not an automatic a la Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, or even Parker and Ginobili.

While I didn't see Johnson's career in it's entirety, I don't think he should have his jersey in the rafters. To me, when you put guys like that up there you lower the standard, and then where do you stop? If Johnson is up there, Bowen should be, but really, should either? That sort of honor should be reserved for the great or near great; not the good or very good. This may be somewhat contradictory, because Bowen was certainly great at what he did, but even the most avid Bowen fans would have to concede that he was not a truly great player. He was a limited player who knew his limitations, worked his tail off, and had a high basketball IQ.

Maybe being the 4th most important player on 3 championship teams in a 5 year span should trump that, I don't know. I guess that's what it comes down to: should winning trump the fact that on stand alone merit he otherwise wouldn't even be under consideration for having this honor bestowed upon him?

FromWayDowntown
09-02-2009, 11:32 PM
And there's almost nothing that could keep Bruce Bowen's #12 in circulation with the Spurs. He's not the greatest player in Spurs history, and he'll never even get a passing thougt fir the Hall of Fame, but he was indisputably a vital part of 3 title teams and his arrival in San Antonio was among the events that brought the Spurs back from the debacle that was the 2001 West Finals. He is the author of a few gigantic moments in the history of the franchise, several of which played a substantial role in titles, and he was the consummate team player for a club that personified the idea of team. Bruce Bowen is a legendary Spur and should be remembered as such.

EricB
09-02-2009, 11:40 PM
And there's almost nothing that could keep Bruce Bowen's #12 in circulation with the Spurs. He's not the greatest player in Spurs history, and he'll never even get a passing thougt fir the Hall of Fame, but he was indisputably a vital part of 3 title teams and his arrival in San Antonio was among the events that brought the Spurs back from the debacle that was the 2001 West Finals. He is the author of a few gigantic moments in the history of the franchise, several of which played a substantial role in titles, and he was the consummate team player for a club that personified the idea of team. Bruce Bowen is a legendary Spur and should be remembered as such.

game 2 2003 against the Lakers

game 5 2007 the shot to win the game against the suns

thats two that just come quickly to mind.

EricB
09-02-2009, 11:41 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I, like many of you, am a huge Bowen fan. His importance and significance during his time as a Spur went far beyond what any statistical measurement could indicate. That being said, I'm not sure he deserves his jersey retired. I'm not saying he doesn't, but he's not an automatic a la Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, or even Parker and Ginobili.

While I didn't see Johnson's career in it's entirety, I don't think he should have his jersey in the rafters. To me, when you put guys like that up there you lower the standard, and then where do you stop? If Johnson is up there, Bowen should be, but really, should either? That sort of honor should be reserved for the great or near great; not the good or very good. This may be somewhat contradictory, because Bowen was certainly great at what he did, but even the most avid Bowen fans would have to concede that he was not a truly great player. He was a limited player who knew his limitations, worked his tail off, and had a high basketball IQ.

Maybe being the 4th most important player on 3 championship teams in a 5 year span should trump that, I don't know. I guess that's what it comes down to: should winning trump the fact that on stand alone merit he otherwise wouldn't even be under consideration for having this honor bestowed upon him?

No Avery or yes avery, Bruce Bowen's jersey belongs up there. No questions, no nothing.

The 12 shall never be worn again.

Biggems
09-02-2009, 11:43 PM
the only people that call Bruce dirty are the pussified Gs and Fs that he guards and the cry baby coaches like Zeke and Rivers.

You never once heard Kobe call Bruce dirty. You never once heard Lebron call Bruce dirty, and Lebron we all know Lebron can whine.

Bruce has taken a few cheapshots (the kick to the back of Ray Ray and the retaliation on CP3...and maybe even the two Bruce Lee's to the face) other than that, he was just a hardnosed, old school defender. These are grown men and there is going to be contact.

However, he is nowhere near the level of filth of these players: CP3, Reggie Evans, Raja Bell, Eduardo Najera, Juwan Howard, and the two dirtiest players of all time......Karl Malone and John Stockton

TD 21
09-02-2009, 11:45 PM
No Avery or yes avery, Bruce Bowen's jersey belongs up there. No questions, no nothing.

The 12 shall never be worn again.

Definitely no to Johnson. Bowen, whether you think he should have his jersey raised to the rafters or not, is definitely not a "no questions, no nothing" type of player. Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, even Parker, and Ginobili, they're the no-brainers.

EricB
09-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Definitely no to Johnson. Bowen, whether you think he should have his jersey raised to the rafters or not, is definitely not a "no questions, no nothing" type of player. Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, even Parker, and Ginobili, they're the no-brainers.

Bowen is a no brainer as well.

Any educated spurs fan that watched him in his time in SA KNOWS that.

Avery Johnson belongs up there as well.
End of story.

ducks
09-02-2009, 11:55 PM
dallas can retire aj number

Chillen
09-02-2009, 11:57 PM
If he does retire from the NBA, not only was he a great defender but his 3point shot as a Spur was classic. Anytime he would shoot a 3 I would get excited just watching him shoot, he defintely hit lots of key 3point shots for this ballclub during their 3 championships.

TD 21
09-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Bowen is a no brainer as well.

Any educated spurs fan that watched him in his time in SA KNOWS that.

Avery Johnson belongs up there as well.
End of story.

Despite what you may think, trust me, I'm an educated Spurs fan. You're speaking from emotion and nostalgia rather than logic. In sports, players of their caliber generally don't have their jerseys raised to the rafters. Like I said, and like you've ignored, I didn't say I didn't think Bowen should have his jersey raised to the rafters, but to me it's one that could go either way.

bigfan
09-02-2009, 11:58 PM
jersey to the rafters

EricB
09-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Despite what you may think, trust me, I'm an educated Spurs fan. You're speaking from emotion and nostalgia rather than logic. In sports, players of their caliber generally don't have their jerseys raised to the rafters. Like I said, and like you've ignored, I didn't say I didn't think Bowen should have his jersey raised to the rafters, but to me it's one that could go either way.

I'm neither speaking from emotion nor nostalgia.

I'm speaking as someone who knows the body of work and contributions of said player.

When you look at THAT, then it IS a no brainer.

EricB
09-03-2009, 12:01 AM
dallas can retire aj number

Go away.

TD 21
09-03-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm neither speaking from emotion nor nostalgia.

I'm speaking as someone who knows the body of work and contributions of said player.

When you look at THAT, then it IS a no brainer.

Generally I don't say this, but I'm on the fence on this one. Like I said though, with Johnson's jersey up in the rafters, based on that alone Bowen's should be.

On the one hand, as a fan I'd like to see it, on the other hand, again, where do you draw the line? Is anyone who ever made a substantial contribution to winning championship(s) deserving of the honor? If that's the case, why not Horry?

jrmp317
09-03-2009, 12:42 AM
they retired AJ's number, and Bowen did way more for this franchise than AJ did.

Retire #12

EricB
09-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Generally I don't say this, but I'm on the fence on this one. Like I said though, with Johnson's jersey up in the rafters, based on that alone Bowen's should be.

On the one hand, as a fan I'd like to see it, on the other hand, again, where do you draw the line? Is anyone who ever made a substantial contribution to winning championship(s) deserving of the honor? If that's the case, why not Horry?

If you can't make the distinction, then theres no hope.

Horry made contributions, but he wasn't as VITAL to the team's success as Bruce Bowen.

Look at their record when Bowen would not play. Look at their defense when Bowen wasn't present.

Bruce Bowen brought Spurs defense BACK to the forefront and was argueably the MVP of the 2007 NBA Finals.

koriwhat
09-03-2009, 01:42 AM
all i gotta say is... fuck aj! bowen means more to the spurs success then that little ghoulie ever has!

http://www.i-mockery.com/halloween/bag/pics/toilet-monster1.jpg

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Both AJ and Bowen fully deserve their numbers retired. Great memories. I still have a tiny hope he might return and play one more season though.

timtonymanu
09-03-2009, 02:31 AM
It's gonna be hard to find another defensive player like Bowen. I love RJ and he is way better than Bruce, but he's not gonna do as much as Bruce did defensively.

Bowen, whether people like it or not, is gonna have his jersey retired. No one harassed Kobe as much as Bowen did in 03. Bowen made Rip his bitch in 05. Bowen made LeBron "Lebroom". When alot of fans want to resign a 38 year old man, you know you have an appreciated and special player.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-03-2009, 02:32 AM

Without question. Bruce was integral to 3 championships and the best lockdown defender in the league for about 5 years running (although never officially recognised as such).

BRHornet45
09-03-2009, 03:44 AM
overrated trash

SA210
09-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Yes.

Pop told Bruce to retire.

Fucking moron.

You say things like this to people over the internet, alot.

Pop ended Bruce's career early, no doubt about that. Even Timvp alluded to something like that during the recent playoffs, is he a ***** moron too or is that different, and that's when your famous ass kissing kicks in??

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-03-2009, 04:04 AM
overrated trash

Son, that's bullshit.Why bringing up Chris Fall to this thread about Bowen?

Mel_13
09-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Bruce's number will certainly be retired, and deservedly so. The only real question is the matter of timing. There are no rules for such things. The powers that be in any given franchise make these decisions according to their own standards.

Popovich/Holt provided an immediate ceremony for David Robinson in the first month of the regular season following his last game. Sean had to wait nearly four years after retirement and more than a year after David. Avery's ceremony was more than six years after his last game as a Spur and more than four years after David.

Duncan will surely get an immediate ceremony. It remains to be seen if other members of the 03-07 era will have their ceremonies delayed until after number 21 is raised.

ploto
09-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Using the spa if it is indeed to announce his retirement seems odd at this exact time. Given all the hoopla that has transpired of late with regards to his business dealings in relation to this spa and a possible inappropriate confrontation at another spa, you would think he would want to avoid the press conference turning into being about that and not about his NBA career. If the incident had not just happened, then it might look so oddly staged. As I said, mixing his NBA career with his wife's business is not a good idea. Does he really want the story about his announcement of retirement to be littered with mentions of the controversy over this spa and stories of threatening and cussing at previous employees?

CubanMustGo
09-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Using the spa if it is indeed to announce his retirement seems odd at this exact time. Given all the hoopla that has transpired of late with regards to his business dealings in relation to this spa and a possible inappropriate confrontation at another spa, you would think he would want to avoid the press conference turning into being about that and not about his NBA career. If the incident had not just happened, then it might look so oddly staged. As I said, mixing his NBA career with his wife's business is not a good idea. Does he really want the story about his announcement of retirement to be littered with mentions of the controversy over this spa and stories of threatening and cussing at previous employees?

good ol' ploto, we can always count on you to cast things in the worst possible light.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-03-2009, 07:11 AM
good ol' ploto, we can always count on you to cast things in the worst possible light.

TBF that's only when it comes to the Spurs though.

Penya
09-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Bowen: "What a beautiful morning! Great day to let some really special people know how they made me feel!"

http://twitter.com/Bowen12

G-Nob
09-03-2009, 07:57 AM
We will not win another championship without him.

lefty
09-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Bowen: "What a beautiful morning! Great day to let some really special people know how they made me feel!"

:depressed:depressed

Agloco
09-03-2009, 07:59 AM

It's only a question to those who:

1) Hate on Bruce
2) Have no common sense

45 bank shot
09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Thank you Bruce for all the things u've done for us

SA210
09-03-2009, 09:51 AM
We will not win another championship without him.

rjv
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM

maybe

rjv
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
It's gotta be about retirement...

also maybe.

ploto
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM

It took only to the fifth post in this thread for someone to bring it up.

Spursfan092120
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Damnit. :(

Evil Angel
09-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Reserving my take until after Bruce says something.

manufan10
09-03-2009, 10:18 AM
It should definitely be in the rafters. After what he has accomplished on this team, and what he's helped accomplish on this team, he deserves it. :toast

manufan10
09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
This was a recent play that I will always remember:

5jY-T5iZfwo

Fpoonsie
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Until a few weeks ago, I had one of those black, rubber(ish) Spurs "Bowen 12" bracelets. I had worn it for a lil over 3 straight years, never taking it off. About a month ago, I was simply nervously spinning it on my wrist...and it broke. I remember it falling to the floor almost in slow-motion. At this point, it seems PAINFULLY coincidental.

Love ya, B. Gonna miss you out there.

Spursfan092120
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Until a few weeks ago, I had one of those black, rubber(ish) Spurs "Bowen 12" bracelets. I had worn it for a lil over 3 straight years, never taking it off. About a month ago, I was simply nervously spinning it on my wrist...and it broke. I remember it falling to the floor almost in slow-motion. At this point, it seems PAINFULLY coincidental.

Love ya, B. Gonna miss you out there.
I would feel the same...good post.

manufan10
09-03-2009, 10:36 AM
It's sad, I've been browsing youtube clips to find some great tributes to Bruce, but I haven't found any. I found a bunch of "Bruce Bowen is dirty" videos. The ironic thing is, everyone has about 2:30 minutes of Bruce's "dirty plays" out of all of his years in San Antonio. :lol

Someone needs to get a highlight clip for him.

JudynTX
09-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Will be sad to see you go Bruce, good luck. :toast

manufan10
09-03-2009, 10:46 AM
35kyz8FiZU8

manufan10
09-03-2009, 10:48 AM
6ppIr_dMIU0

howbouthemspurs
09-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Bowen deserves to have his jersey retired as much as any of the spurs super stars. He was one of the huge reasons the spurs won the last three championships period! It shouldnt be all about statistics, it should be how he impacted the game and he did that as good as anyone.

Cherry
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
:depressed

tp2021
09-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Bowen did more than contribute. He embodied everything about the team's philosophy of hard work and a defense-first mentality. He guarded the best players in the game every night. He hit clutch corner 3s. He helped bring 3 championships to San Antonio. He has been a fan favorite on and off the court, and has given back to the community in many ways.

This man is a Spur. #12 will never be worn again.

EricB
09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Again. Early December for the ceremony please.

gospursgojas
09-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Again. Early December for the ceremony please.

:tu

Is this presser gonna be televised? If its in fact to announce his retirement...it should be on every channel...including cnn lol

Da Spurs
09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Took a trip to St. Louis last month to watch the Cardinals play. They are one of the top franchises in the history of not only baseball but of all sports. 10 World Championships over the years, second only to the Yankees.

They have retired 11 jerseys since they were founded in St. Louis in 1882. That is an average of one jersey retirement per 11.5 years. Every one of the retired jerseys is a Hall of Famer except for one, Ken Boyer, who was the consummate Cardinal who unexpectedly died at an early age. There are even several HOF players who played a substantial number of years with the Cards and who were enshrined as a Cardinal and they haven't had their jerseys retired.

The Spurs have been in San Antonio since 1973 or 36 years. They have retired 6 jerseys or 1 for ever 6 years--almost twice the rate of the Cardinals. Now you want to retire Bowens? In five years or less , the Spurs will certainly retire both Manu and Tim. That would give the Spurs 9 jersey retirements in 41 years or one for every 4.5 years.

Personally, I like the Cardinal approach. It must be something incredibly difficult to achieve, much like the Hall of Fame. I would only have Gervin and Robinson up there right now. And I would be adding Ginobili and Duncan over the next 5 years. That would give the Spurs 4 retirements in 41 years, or something very similar to the Cardinal approach. But of course, we had to go and put in Johnny Moore and Avery Johnson to screw it all up. So the Spurs have started down the slippery slope and will continue to retire numbers that probably shouldn't be retired.

Fdawg07
09-03-2009, 12:45 PM
does anyone know if the press conference is gonna be televised? any links?

angelbelow
09-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Damn....

gospursgojas
09-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Took a trip to St. Louis last month to watch the Cardinals play. They are one of the top franchises in the history of not only baseball but of all sports. 10 World Championships over the years, second only to the Yankees.

They have retired 11 jerseys since they were founded in St. Louis in 1882. That is an average of one jersey retirement per 11.5 years. Every one of the retired jerseys is a Hall of Famer except for one, Ken Boyer, who was the consummate Cardinal who unexpectedly died at an early age. There are even several HOF players who played a substantial number of years with the Cards and who were enshrined as a Cardinal and they haven't had their jerseys retired.

The Spurs have been in San Antonio since 1973 or 36 years. They have retired 6 jerseys or 1 for ever 6 years--almost twice the rate of the Cardinals. Now you want to retire Bowens? In five years or less , the Spurs will certainly retire both Manu and Tim. That would give the Spurs 9 jersey retirements in 41 years or one for every 4.5 years.

Personally, I like the Cardinal approach. It must be something incredibly difficult to achieve, much like the Hall of Fame. I would only have Gervin and Robinson up there right now. And I would be adding Ginobili and Duncan over the next 5 years. That would give the Spurs 4 retirements in 41 years, or something very similar to the Cardinal approach. But of course, we had to go and put in Johnny Moore and Avery Johnson to screw it all up. So the Spurs have started down the slippery slope and will continue to retire numbers that probably shouldn't be retired.

I keep stating in here over and over again... comparing other team's jersey retirement numbers or qualifications to that of the spurs is stupid.

The spurs are their own organization. They do things their way...the spurs way...always have always will. Its what's gotten them where they are.

If the spurs choose to retire jerseys on value or importance to the team rather than statistical credentials...I'm all for it.

Bruce WILL be in the rafters

picc84
09-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Much respect to Bowen. It was a joy watching him play defense, against no matter who.

tp2021
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Fuck the Cardinals. I don't give a shit who they retire. The Spurs will retire #12 and thats that.

Mel_13
09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
live on 760 right now

Da Spurs
09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Fuck the Cardinals. I don't give a shit who they retire. The Spurs will retire #12 and thats that.

Nice mature response. :nutkick:

manufan10
09-03-2009, 03:02 PM
i keep stating in here over and over again... Comparing other team's jersey retirement numbers or qualifications to that of the spurs is stupid.

The spurs are their own organization. They do things their way...the spurs way...always have always will. Its what's gotten them where they are.

If the spurs choose to retire jerseys on value or importance to the team rather than statistical credentials...i'm all for it.

Bruce will be in the rafters

+1

Mel_13
09-03-2009, 03:03 PM
20 in 62 years. You do the math.

http://www.mitchellandness.com/images/products/medium/CELBANRN-20_W.jpg

Da Spurs
09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Almost all HOF'ers. You do the math

manufan10
09-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Almost, but not all. :toast

TD 21
09-03-2009, 03:14 PM
If you can't make the distinction, then theres no hope.

Horry made contributions, but he wasn't as VITAL to the team's success as Bruce Bowen.

Look at their record when Bowen would not play. Look at their defense when Bowen wasn't present.

Bruce Bowen brought Spurs defense BACK to the forefront and was argueably the MVP of the 2007 NBA Finals.

I can make the distinction, but you didn't answer the question: Where do you draw the line?

After thinking about it, I do think Bowen's jersey should be retired, but I still don't think it should be an automatic. Duncan is an automatic; Bowen is debatable.

Let's get something straight. Robinson and Duncan were the genesis of the Spurs becoming a historically great defensive team. Then, Bowen, along with damn near everyone who put on the jersey, followed suit.

angelbelow
09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I dont think we should rush retiring his jersey, just incase he decides he wants to come back for the playoffs :p

Mel_13
09-03-2009, 03:20 PM

By your standard, the Celtics have been too lenient.

Bottom line, each franchise in every sport sets its own standards. Once the Yankees retire "2" for Jeter and "6" for Torre all the single digits will be retired. The Lakers have been much more stingy.

These arguments over whether his number should or should not be retired are a bit silly as each poster will weigh the decision against his own standards. There will be no agreement on a common standard.

The only real question is will his number be retired? If Popovich and Holt remain in their current positions, the answer to that question is yes.