PDA

View Full Version : He can't be with us forever

Spursfan092120
09-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Miami Dolphins' Ricky Williams signs extension, plans to retire after 2010

Ricky Williams revealed that he signed a one-year contract extension this offseason that he negotiated, and said he will retire as a Dolphin after the 2010 season.

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2009/08/22/22/446-5804533.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG
Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tries to run through the Carolina Panthers' Chris Gamble in the first quarter of a preseason game Saturday, Aug. 22, 2009 at Land Shark Stadium.
CW Griffin/Staff Photo

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

[email protected]

Five years ago, Dolphins running back Ricky Williams' temporary retirement from football could not have been more unexpected. So perhaps it is the ultimate irony that Williams' current plans to leave the game are mapped out to the day.
On Tuesday, Williams revealed to The Miami Herald that he signed another one-year contract extension this offseason that will keep him in Miami through the 2010 season, at which point he said he plans to then retire as a Dolphin.
``I talked to Bill [Parcells] about it, and we came to an agreement,'' said Williams, who rushed for 659 yards on 160 carries last year. ``It was quiet and easy.''
Williams, 32, agreed to the contract after a sit-down meeting with Parcells that was very similar to the negotiations that occurred last August, which similarly resulted in the current contract he is playing under.
Coach Tony Sparano said the team wanted Williams to return for the 2010 season because of his talent on the field, as well as his professionalism off it.
``There's very strong feelings about Ricky and what he's done for us -- and certainly for me -- since he's been here,'' Sparano told The Miami Herald on Tuesday. ``From what he brings from a work-ethic standpoint, as a pro in the meeting rooms, he's a good ambassador of our message to the younger players.''
THE ART OF THE DEAL
Williams' new deal includes a pay raise of nearly $1 million. Scheduled to earn $3.4 million under his current deal in 2009, he will have a base salary of $4.35 million next season as a result of the extension. However, the big question -- at least from an earnings standpoint -- remains how much of that contract is guaranteed.
Last year, Williams came under some criticism in league circles for negotiating a deal that doesn't include guaranteed money this season, although the contract does have many reachable incentives. Williams did not want to discuss those specifics Tuesday.
Whatever the case, he seems satisfied with his decision and his paycheck. He also seems content with his life.
``When you have a person and an organization that follows a certain philosophy, it's just nice,'' he said. ``Some organizations like players and want to take care of players. Some organizations aren't that way.''
Williams did not consult with his agent, Leigh Steinberg, before negotiating the contract. Although Steinberg allowed his agent certification to expire as he pursues other business aspirations, Steinberg does have other agents in his firm that could have handled the deal.
But the running back simply preferred the ease of the situation, still calling Steinberg ``a close friend.'' Williams also pointed toward his level of trust in Parcells. Williams' decision to again quietly get a deal done on his own was not a surprise to those closest to him.
``That's Rick,'' running back Patrick Cobbs said. ``The guy does stuff nobody else does. He's smart. He knows what he wants. He's been in the game a long time, so for that stuff to happen, it doesn't surprise me.
``You've got Bill Parcells and Ricky, who have been around the game for a long time. They know about the business. He's not cheating himself. He knows what he wants, and he's going to retire here.''
IS THIS FOR REAL?
Whether Williams actually retires after next season remains a matter of debate to some. Although the running back sounds convinced he would follow his plan -- even mapping out his post-career aspirations in detail -- not everyone is entirely sold.
One person close to him said Williams' current stance on retirement could change next offseason, especially if a successful season would provide even more substantial financial security if he continued to play.
But when Williams was asked what his goals are for the next two seasons, his response made it sound like he is ready to retire after 2010: ``I just want to finish my career and move on.''
When he finishes football, Williams said he would complete his undergraduate degree before applying for medical school. He is currently enrolled in Algebra at Nova Southeastern University in Davie, but he said he still would have ``at least two more years'' of classes to finish his undergraduate after retirement.
But just because he seems eager about the prospect of pursuing those post-career plans, it doesn't mean he has any less focus on the current task of succeeding on the field. Running back Ronnie Brown said he and Williams have talked extensively about their plans to have a big season together in 2009.
Brown, Williams' closest friend on the team, said he is thrilled that he will continue to share the backfield with the veteran for another two full seasons.
``It's exciting,'' Brown said. ``I'm happy for him. We're very close friends away from the field, too, so it's special to have him around for another year. It's exciting that he'll get to finish his career with the Dolphins.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1213282.html (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1213282.html------------)

---------------------------
This saddens me. I hope he goes crazy this year....He just never played to his potential.

IronMexican
09-02-2009, 07:23 PM
He should have more than 2 years in him. He missed a lot of football with the suspensions. I could see him playing for 3-4 more years.

And lol @ Eagles fans. You guys seriously wanted this guy over McNabb.

Spursfan092120
09-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Ricky Williams had so much potential. His problem was, he loved Texas so much that he didn't want to play anywhere else. He said his heart was broken and he was homesick. Smoked too much pot...etc...but the guy is still a phenomenal football player, and I hope he tears people a new asshole this year.

mytespurs
09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I remember that great year he had with the Dolphins then he quit. He never seemed quite the same after that.

I hope he performs to the best of his ability with the Fins. They can use whatever he has left.

DBryant88
09-03-2009, 11:37 AM
I remember that great year he had with the Dolphins then he quit. He never seemed quite the same after that.

I hope he performs to the best of his ability with the Fins. They can use whatever he has left.

the 'fins lost there swagger after he retired the first time

Spursfan092120
09-03-2009, 11:55 AM

Absolutely..not a Dolphins fan by any means, but I'm a huge Ricky fan. Met him a long time ago and got his autograph on a Longhorns mini helmet. Hell of a guy. You could just tell he's got a big heart....maybe too big.

mytespurs
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
the 'fins lost there swagger after he retired the first time

I know there are other reasons but I still tend to blame Wannestadt for Ricky's retirement. The Dolphins retained him a season too long imho.

mytespurs
09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Absolutely..not a Dolphins fan by any means, but I'm a huge Ricky fan. Met him a long time ago and got his autograph on a Longhorns mini helmet. Hell of a guy. You could just tell he's got a big heart....maybe too big.

I'm a fins fan and I loved what he gave our team that year. If we had a better coach, better GM, better FO, who knows what he could've achieved.