PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time a team won back to back double OT games?

whottt
04-11-2005, 09:16 AM
I know Vancouver is listed as the last team to play in b2b double OT's...but it's also being reported that team won both games...they didn't.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Or how many times it's happened in NBA history?

MI21
04-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Do you have a link saying it didn't happen? I read in Yahoo Sports Recap that they won both games.

whottt
04-11-2005, 09:44 AM
I looked it up at basketball reference...

The games were played Feb 16th and 17th of 1999(back to back double OT's seem to be a good omen for us :) )

The Grizz won the first one against the Clippers 93-89, and lost the second to the Celtics 129-131.

I read the same thing you did...that the Grizz won both...but it didn't add up to me...2 wins seems like a season total won by the Grizz back in those days...no way do they win back to back double OT's...

I looked it up and sure enough they didn't...

I think the Spurs might be the first team to have done it...back to back double OT's can't have happened too many times...and a team overcoming the incredible physical toll to win both must be even more rare...

I think it's an NBA record...but I can't find any confirmation...I know a lot of teams have won an ot and a double ot...but I can't find another record of a team winning back to back double OT's...

If it did happen I bet it was in the pre shotclock era.

By the way...did you know that the Spurs hold(tie) the record for consecutive OT games won with 11? I didn't, but I do now :)

MI21
04-11-2005, 09:53 AM
By the way...did you know that the Spurs hold(tie) the record for consecutive OT games won with 11? I didn't, but I do now

Was the main bunch of those in 2002-2003. I can rememberthem being particuly good in OT that year.

whottt
04-11-2005, 10:02 AM
No it was in the Gervin era that they did that. They won every OT game they played between Nov 13th 1979 and Feb 8th 1983...They share the record with the mid 90's Hawks.

Here's a link to just about every OT record you could want...except the double OT ones...

http://www.nba.com/history/records/regular_miscellaneous.html

And the lack of double OT records is part of what makes me think the Spurs just set an NBA record...since they usually don't keep track of records that haven't been set yet. There's probably only a handful of teams that have even played in back to back double OT's...or even consecutive double OT's...Maybe only a few teams have even played in more than one double OT in a single season. I do kinda remember multiple doublt OT's in playoff series...I know the Spurs had a few OT's with Portland in 89...but I just can't find much about double OT.

To tell you the truth MI21...I was kinda hoping you would know the answer to this one :)

MI21
04-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Well, in 2002-2003 regular season I think they only lost 1 OT game and won something like 7/8. I'm pretty sure of that. If I wasn't on dial up I'd search, but fucked if I'm doing that on 56k.

11 in a row is quite an effort though, and during the mid 90's when I was in my NBA watching/reading/living/breathing prime, I can't remember hearing anything about the Hawks having the record either.

Interesting.

whottt
04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
It's a tough one to figure out...

And...

Bump for FWDT, Solid D, Shoogar and the other trivia dudes...sac up!

Solid D
04-11-2005, 12:21 PM
There is one guy who may be able to answer this. Harvey Pollack, if he's still active, is the leading NBA statistician. He's with the Phila. 76ers, or at least he was with them. You may have to email the 76ers to get his email address.

I did a quick search and couldn't find an email for him.

whottt
04-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Don't Kori and TimVP have access to this kind of stuff since they are press? If you are press you can access ALL the stats at NBA.com.

Jimcs50
04-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Don't Kori and TimVP have access to this kind of stuff since they are press? If you are press you can access ALL the stats at NBA.com.

I would have to say that this is the first time in history that a team won back to back 2 OT games...I mean, what would the odds be for that?

timvp
04-11-2005, 12:29 PM
I can't find the answer to this question.

If someone can find the answer, I think this might be Spur worthy.

whottt
04-11-2005, 12:30 PM
I did find out that a college team played back to back triple OT games...

Kori Ellis
04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Don't Kori and TimVP have access to this kind of stuff since they are press?

You are giving timvp too much credit. :)

Jimcs50
04-11-2005, 12:32 PM
I will say this.

This is the first time in NBA history that a team has doubled their previous score from 3 days before.

Dallas game, they score 68 pts, then they score twice that, 136 last night.

Never has this happened in history, I will bet money on that.

:)

timvp
04-11-2005, 12:34 PM
You are giving timvp too much credit. :)

True. To say that I'm a member of the media is like saying Shane Heal is an NBA player.

:spin

whottt
04-11-2005, 12:36 PM
I will say this.

This is the first time in NBA history that a team has doubled their previous score from 3 days before.

Dallas game, they score 68 pts, then they score twice that, 136 last night.

Never has this happened in history, I will bet money on that.

Check the Celtics Knicks playoff series from the 89-90(or 90-91) season...I think it might have happened in that series...

whottt
04-11-2005, 12:36 PM
True. To say that I'm a member of the media is like saying Shane Heal is an NBA player.

:spin

Now that you mentioned it...a true media guy would have the grades out by now for his adoring public!

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2005, 12:57 PM
I'll bump around and see if I can find anything. I got to wondering about that last night when the game went to the second OT. If it's not a record, it's in a very limited group of occurrences. I'm on it.

whottt
04-11-2005, 01:02 PM
You are good man FWDT.

Edit: And good luck, I searched everywhere I knew of.

samikeyp
04-11-2005, 01:02 PM
I did a little digging and found a stat for most consecutive overtime games (just in case :) ) link (http://www.nba.com/history/records/regular_miscellaneous.html) on those that had box scores none showed consecutive 2OT wins. ATL and BOS has 3 straight 1OT wins. Milwaukee and HOU also had 3 straight but there were no boxes so I couldn't tell how many OT's there were but none of them were on consecutive nights. San Francisco had OT wins on October 26 and 27 1962 but again, no boxes so can't tell how many OT's.

Still checking.

Jimcs50
04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Check the Celtics Knicks playoff series from the 89-90(or 90-91) season...I think it might have happened in that series...

I find that hard to believe

Double the score???

BigVee
04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
I would have to say that this is the first time in history that a team won back to back 2 OT games...I mean, what would the odds be for that?

And, both on the road? Got to be a record.

whottt
04-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah, both on the road is relevant too.

samikeyp
04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
just checked the Warriors Media Guide...those two games were both on the road but were single OT.

kolko
04-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Well, in 2002-2003 regular season I think they only lost 1 OT game and won something like 7/8. I'm pretty sure of that. If I wasn't on dial up I'd search, but fucked if I'm doing that on 56k.

OT Record in 2002-2003: 5-1 (lost in Minnesota, SJax made the buzzer-beater to send it to OT).

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2005, 01:53 PM
This is freakin' frustrating.

whottt -- I went back 30 years to the 1974-75 season. Over that time period, scanning things very quickly, I couldn't find any instances of consecutive multiple-overtime games other than the Vancouver games in 1999 and, of course, the Spurs most recent games. For what it's worth, I've found numerous instances of a team winning in OT and then winning a double OT game shortly thereafter and several of those were back-to-backs, but that wouldn't qualify.

If this has happened before, it's a rare feat. In one season (1978-79, I think) there were no multiple overtime games. In another, there were only 3.

I'll look more later tonight and might be able to provide a definitive answer, but if you want to look (and steal that Spur that timvp is offering up) here's my source:

http://www.shrpsports.com/nba/result.htm

my search has left all fields in the search page as they are, but I've gone one season at a time (beginning season and ending season the same), limited "reg/play" to regular season only, left "series when" set to "all," and, obviously, checked the box next to "OT." If I read that correctly, it should be providing me with a year-by-year list of all overtime games in chronological order. From that list, I've been parceling out the 2OT, 3OT, 4OT, and 5OT games and scanning to see if there is another multiple overtime nearby. If there is, I've first compared the teams involved and then looked at the dates of the games. Like I say, so far, nothing like this. I'll check back in a little while to see if anyone has made progress or found a better way to track this down. If there's no progress, I'll resume my search.

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2005, 02:10 PM
By the way, if it turns out that SA and VAN are the only two teams to ever play back-to-back multiple overtime games (which seems possible), Tony Massenburg will have the distinction of having played in both of those sets. Massenburg started both of the games for Vancouver in 1999 and obviously for the Spurs this weekend. Not that important, but it's mildly interesting.

MadDog73
04-11-2005, 02:27 PM
By the way, if it turns out that SA and VAN are the only two teams to ever play back-to-back multiple overtime games (which seems possible), Tony Massenburg will have the distinction of having played in both of those sets. Massenburg started both of the games for Vancouver in 1999 and obviously for the Spurs this weekend. Not that important, but it's mildly interesting.

That's pretty cool!

johnny00
04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Sh!t this is looking more and more like the Spurs have made history!!!!

This may be the type of thing that sets the boys up as a team of destiny (?).

Spurminator
04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Threepeat!

Wait, no.

whottt
04-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Ok FWDT...I searched your site...and as far as I can tell the Spurs and the Grizz are the only two teams in NBA history to ever play in back to back Double OT...

And the Spurs are the only team to win back to back double OT...

The cloest I found was the Lakers playing an OT and a Triple OT with a day between them and winning both...back in 1961...

But there is one thing that confuses me...that site lists one of the Vancouver back to back double OT games being a triple OT, the one against the Celtics.....in any case...Vancouver lost...

I think our Spurs set an NBA record...someone should probably recheck it though and due to the 3OT thing with Vancouver I am not toally sure how accurate that site is(it might be the accurate one and bball reference might be the one in error)...

But basically...if someone else wants to check it out and verify...I think it's our record, it's one of unmatched heart and effort made all the more amazing by the fact that we were missing 3 starters the second night...

Heart...it was pure heart...they had no business winning that GS game...I damn sure didn't expect them to win it and I wasn't going to be upset if they didn't...that was called exceeding expectations...

IF that is the Spurs record it's something to be very proud of...fuck ESPN for not noticing how historic those 2 games were(any wonder why I say the Admiral was overlooked, if we don't catch our records and achievements they damn sure won't be looking very hard either)...

And I hope Kori or someone let's the players and Pop know that they just passed a test of grit and heart unmatched in NBA history...

I don't totally trust my checking so someone really should recheck it...and be sure to look for 3ot games not just 2ot...

Shelly
04-11-2005, 03:12 PM
My 9 year old just said to me, "You know why the Spurs keep going into double overtime? Because they refuse to lose without Tim Duncan!"

samikeyp
04-11-2005, 03:18 PM
I am ready to call it a record! :)

also Spurs should go to whottt and FWDT for their efforts.

whottt
04-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I just thought of something even more awesome to add to it...every single player on the team played a role in it...except for Tim Duncan the best player on the damn team and the NBA...

Edit: I forgot Devin is on the IR too...but everyone else contributed.

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2005, 03:21 PM
But there is one thing that confuses me...that site lists one of the Vancouver back to back double OT games being a triple OT, the one against the Celtics.....in any case...Vancouver lost...

I think our Spurs set an NBA record...someone should probably recheck it though and due to the 3OT thing with Vancouver I am not toally sure how accurate that site is(it might be the accurate one and bball reference might be the one in error)...

I checked again, and Vancouver did play 2OT in LA against the Clippers on 2/16/99 and then played 3OT on 2/17/99 at home against Boston. The boxes can be found here (http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1998&b=19990216&tm=LAC) and here (http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1998&b=19990217&tm=VAN).

IF that is the Spurs record it's something to be very proud of...fuck ESPN for not noticing how historic those 2 games were(any wonder why I say the Admiral was overlooked, if we don't catch our records and achievements they damn sure won't be looking very hard either)...

If it's a record, it's a pretty obscure one. I suspect, if it proves to be unprecedented, that it will get some play nationally in stories about the Portland game tomorrow night.

And I hope Kori or someone let's the players and Pop know that they just passed a test of grit and heart unmatched in NBA history...

The test isn't necessarily unmatched, but the success certainly seems to be. I think part of the reason this has been lost on people is the quality of the teams the Spurs beat in these games -- had they beaten, say, Phoenix and Dallas in consecutive double-OT games, the world would be raving. Since they played late-night double-OT games on the West Coast against teams that have been eliminated, on the same weekend as the Masters, it was almost bound to get lost in the shuffle. Sad, but true.

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2005, 03:23 PM
I'll run a better double check on this tonight and ensure that we're right, but I think we've discovered some history.

whottt
04-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah...but we know...the damn Clips are 25-14 at home...I think that's about the same record the Mavs and the Sonics have at home...and the Warriors were the hottest team in the NBA and we were missing 3 starters...

We had no business winning that damn GS game, there is no way we should have won that game, especially in double OT...

whottt
04-11-2005, 03:27 PM
FWDT, I am pretty sure no team has done it post 73-74 according to that site...I basically rechecked your work on those years...pre 73 was much easier to check...but I only went over it once...

Of course all it takes is a typo error at that site and them not putting a 2 where it should be for us to be wrong...

Also we might want to check the playoffs as well.

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah...but we know...the damn Clips are 25-14 at home...I think that's about the same record the Mavs and the Sonics have at home...and the Warriors were the hottest team in the NBA and we were missing 3 starters...

We had no business winning that damn GS game, there is no way we should have won that game, especially in double OT...

Oh, I completely agree -- for what the Spurs faced and what they took to meet those challenges, missing 50% of their top 8, it's a remarkable accomplishment. But at the "worldwide leader in sports," perception is reality.

Undoubtedly, had the Lakers just pulled off the same feat, they would be lauded as the grittiest team ever. Had the Suns done it, it would have been proof that running teams can win titles. Had the Heat done it, it would have been proof that Shaq is the most dominant ever, or some such. We'll see if there isn't some mention of this feat as the week progresses -- in fact, I'll start the ball rolling by e-mailing Marc Stein. Maybe Stein will write about it or mention it.

boutons
04-11-2005, 03:35 PM
"We had no business winning that damn GS game"

I commented in the game blog that GS came out very low key, imo, while shooting damn well. I was expecting them to jump on us, and end up doing another Mavs on us. I also felt the Spurs played a steady, low-key game. Absolutely no indication of the excitement of 2 OT's to come.

I don't think GS really warmed up with their 3G's until the 3rd quarter, but the Spurs held steady and kept game within reach. This was another lottery team, like Blazers and Clips, that hit us with a very non-lottery FG% of well over 50% for most or all of the game on their courts.

ShoogarBear
04-11-2005, 03:49 PM
If this is true, then it may also mean that Tony Parker has (or was very close to having) the NBA record for most minutes in consecutive games.

The only possible exception might be the season where Wilt essentially averaged 48 mpg.

cherylsteele
04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey....why don't we win a 2OT vs. Portland on tues and make sure we set a record?

Phenomanul
04-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Hey....why don't we win a 2OT vs. Portland on tues and make sure we set a record?
:lol :lol

Then we're bound to get attention that way....

E20
04-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Who really cares? A win is a win.

whottt
04-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Bump! For TimVP and to get Shoogar's .02

Edit: NM...I just saw Shoogar already found the thread.

Our findings are here TimVP.

I am gonna check the playoff records real quick.

whottt
04-12-2005, 01:36 AM
"We had no business winning that damn GS game"

I commented in the game blog that GS came out very low key, imo, while shooting damn well. I was expecting them to jump on us, and end up doing another Mavs on us. I also felt the Spurs played a steady, low-key game. Absolutely no indication of the excitement of 2 OT's to come.

I don't think GS really warmed up with their 3G's until the 3rd quarter, but the Spurs held steady and kept game within reach. This was another lottery team, like Blazers and Clips, that hit us with a very non-lottery FG% of well over 50% for most or all of the game on their courts.

Well they haven't been playing like a lottery team and IIRC we were trailing by 11 points at the beginning of the 4th...and then Barry stepped up bigtime to get us close.

Solid D
04-12-2005, 07:46 AM
My 9 year old just said to me, "You know why the Spurs keep going into double overtime? Because they refuse to lose without Tim Duncan!"

Wise beyond his years.

MI21
04-12-2005, 08:00 AM
He probably looks older than he is.

Jimcs50
04-12-2005, 08:06 AM
ESPN's "Did you Know?" last night said that SA's two wins back to back is a first for an NBA team. It did happen once in the ABA though. Kentucky and somebody.

So, yes Whottt, it is a record.

Solid D
04-12-2005, 08:21 AM
He probably looks older than he is.

:rollin @ MI21

ESPN's "Did you Know?" last night said that SA's two wins back to back is a first for an NBA team. It did happen once in the ABA though. Kentucky and somebody.

So, yes Whottt, it is a record.

Jim, good catch. I believe you this time, link or no link.

whottt
04-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Yeah I just went through and checked it out....I searched 3 OT, 4OT, 50T and 2OT...it's our record.

By the way...did you guys know our Spurs are undefeated in 3 OT(NBA) games? I do...now :)

2-0...Both in the Gervin Era.

Props to FWDT for the Sharps site.

Spurminator
04-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Nice sleuthing, guys.

whottt
04-12-2005, 09:03 AM
I think FWDT should probably get credit for ESPN finding it out...

I'd be willing to bet that email to Mark Stein had something to do with ESPN researching it further.

MadDog73
04-12-2005, 09:08 AM
LOL @ Express News!

They still have it wrong by Listing the Grizzlies as winning both OT games too!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041205.1D.spurs.1cb9589a1.html

and the Star Tribune

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/5340545.html

FromWayDowntown
04-12-2005, 10:50 AM
I think FWDT should probably get credit for ESPN finding it out...

I'd be willing to bet that email to Mark Stein had something to do with ESPN researching it further.

I suspect that the research was already under way, but I'd love to think that I might have motivated something they hadn't thought about. For what it's worth, I never have heard back from Stein, though I suppose that if he did somehow present it to ESPN's researchers, that might have been an answer to me. I sent the e-mail through espn.com; I wish I had captured the message before I sent it -- it was fairly smart-assed in my own "I'm an indignant Spurs fan" way. I usually can get responses, but Stein is apparently avoiding me. :lol

In any event, it's good to know that we saw some history over the weekend. It's also good to know that we can collectively find answers to almost any question without relying on the national media types to tell us what's up.

And it's good to know that the Spurs magic number is 1, that the playoffs are drawing near, and that Timmy appears to be on the way back . . . .

whottt
04-12-2005, 11:10 AM
I suspect that the research was already under way, but I'd love to think that I might have motivated something they hadn't thought about. For what it's worth, I never have heard back from Stein, though I suppose that if he did somehow present it to ESPN's researchers, that might have been an answer to me. I sent the e-mail through espn.com; I wish I had captured the message before I sent it -- it was fairly smart-assed in my own "I'm an indignant Spurs fan" way. I usually can get responses, but Stein is apparently avoiding me. :lol

Don't bet on it...ESPN misses a lot of stuff...I was on their ass when they were overlooking all this stuff Palmeiro was doing...

Ditto Palmeiro and Arod being the most prolific HR hitting combo in MLB history over a 3 year period...over Gehrig and Ruth, Maris and Mantle, Aaron and Mathews, Canseco and McGwire...and the Rangers aren't even technically a small market...except when it comes to baseball.

In any event, it's good to know that we saw some history over the weekend. It's also good to know that we can collectively find answers to almost any question without relying on the national media types to tell us what's up.

Now about the Shaq V Drob thing :)

Seriously though...part of my animosity towards ESPN and big media on this stuff is that they overlooked and continue to overlook so many things done by small market superstars and teams...about the only way the small markets get noticed is if they have some guy that just acts like a total jerk...

Lemme know if you ever get hold of a copy of Drob's 71 point game :)

SpursFanInAustin
04-12-2005, 12:10 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20050412/PORSAS/preview.html

SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) -- The San Antonio Spurs can move closer to their fourth division title in five years when they host the struggling Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday.

The Spurs have a four-game lead over the Dallas Mavericks (53-24) in the Southwest Division and trail the Phoenix Suns (58-19) by one game for the best record in the Western Conference.

San Antonio became the first team in six years to win consecutive double-overtime contests when it recorded a 136-134 triumph over the Golden State Warriors on Sunday.

Tony Parker scored 35 points, added 12 assists and made the go-ahead basket with 2.9 seconds left in the second overtime. Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen and Jon Barry scored 17 points apiece for the Spurs, who have won four of five despite the absence of Tim Duncan.

On Saturday, the Spurs edged the Los Angeles Clippers, 125-124.

A two-time NBA Most Valuable Player, Duncan is not expected to play against Portland as he recovers from a severely sprained ankle. Manu Ginobili missed Sunday's game with a stomach virus.

Portland, which is not going to the playoffs, ended some lengthy streaks on Sunday with a 90-81 victory over the New Orleans Hornets.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim scored 25 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Trail Blazers, who had dropped seven straight, 10 in a row on the road and their last four against the Hornets.

San Antonio had won seven straight against the Trail Blazers before losing at Portland, 107-99, on January 24. Damon Stoudamire scored 23 points for the Trail Blazers and Duncan led the Spurs with 24.

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:12 PM
San Antonio became the first team in six years to win consecutive double-overtime contests when it recorded a 136-134 triumph over the Golden State Warriors on Sunday.

Yeah, that's incorrect. The Grizzlies, six years ago, lost the second game to the Celtics.

Rydia
04-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah I agree....Major Record here!! Typical they would notice since it was San Antonio!!

1959-60 season: Fri Nov 6 1959 at MnL Detroit 118, Min Lakers 113 (2OT)

1959-60 season: Sat Nov 7 1959 at Det Min Lakers 113, Detroit 111 (OT)
Close...but not 2OT

Again! Same thing not 2OT
1966-67 season: Fri Feb 10 1967 at Bos Boston 137, San Francisco 136 (2OT)

1966-67 season: Sat Feb 11 1967 at NY New York 125, San Francisco 122 (OT)
I did see a double OT on consecutive days but they were completly different teams :D

Well I started at the very beginning and went to the 89-90 season and nothing like this has occured! So we set a record!! Yay!!! *Claps!*

LilMissSPURfect
04-12-2005, 05:46 PM
:tu