PDA

View Full Version : Bowen retiring from NBA

Bruno
09-03-2009, 10:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4442293

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

After helping the San Antonio Spurs to win three championships and establishing himself as one of the premier perimeter defenders of the decade, Bruce Bowen is retiring at 38.

Bowen told ESPN.com that he will formally announce his retirement at a Thursday afternoon news conference and said he would elaborate more on his decision then.

It is believed that Bowen, who became an unrestricted free agent Aug. 1 when the Milwaukee Bucks bought out the final year of his contract, has decided to step away from the game because of his growing desire to pursue off-court business and community interests as well as a career in broadcasting.

honestfool84
09-03-2009, 10:36 AM
dang. :(

thank you, bowen, for everything.
you will be missed.

12# will be remembered, and retired.

Fpoonsie
09-03-2009, 10:39 AM
...Bruce Bowen is retiring at 38.

:depressed

...as well as a career in broadcasting.

:elephant

mytespurs
09-03-2009, 10:41 AM
:(

The best! You'll be missed Bruce!

coyotes_geek
09-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Expected, but sad nonetheless. Thanks Bruce.

Crookshanks
09-03-2009, 10:44 AM
This is sad news - but I'd rather he retire than play for any other team. Thanks, Bruce, for all the hard work and for some great memories! :toast

Now let's get him a gig alongside Sean Elliott - that would be a riot!

Bruno
09-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Bruce has had an amazing career with Spurs. He has been a huge part of the last 3 titles. Thank you for everything, Bruce. :worthy:

dbestpro
09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Bruce and Sean as announcers together would be worth watching just by itself let alone the game.

JamStone
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Despite how he was hated by many fans and players for his style of play, he always seemed like a good guy off the court. The stories I've read of him and when I've heard him speak, he came across as well spoken, intelligent, thoughtful, and compassionate. It was probably time. It might have been time the previous two seasons.

Tough player who was easy not to like if you weren't a fan of the Spurs. Good guy.

rjv
09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
he had been talking in such tones. he just could not see himself as anything but a spur. and he was the quintessential spur at that.

in2deep
09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
:pctoss

DBMethos
09-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks Bruce! :toast

BruceBowenFan
09-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Sad to see him retire, gonna miss him and kobe go at it.

Bruno
09-03-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/56933617.html

Bruce Bowen is retiring today

By Richard Oliver - Express-News

Bruce Bowen has known for some time that this day would come. And now that it’s here, he’s feeling surprisingly calm about it.

The former Spurs great is retiring from the NBA.

“I’m very happy,” Bowen, 38, said this morning. “It hasn’t been difficult. I was content about it and understood it was going to happen.”

At a news conference this afternoon at the Yardley’s Salon and Spa, the business he owns with his wife, Yardley, Bowen will officially hang up his sneakers and move toward a future that will still include ties to basketball.

In addition to working on his local business and charity interests, Bowen had an audition with ESPN earlier this week and will be working on something with Turner Broadcasting later. He may also be doing some broadcasting work on high school games.

He also hopes to continue his advertising work with H-E-B, Hallmark Institute and AT&T.

“I’m always going to do something around the game of basketball,” Bowen said.

Though the Spurs will not be signing him to a ceremonial one-day contract or anything or that nature, Bowen said he feels he’s retiring as a Spur.

“Everybody knows, and Pop said the same thing, ‘You’re a Spur,’ ” Bowen said, referring to coach Gregg Popovich.

He spent 12 seasons in the league, including the final eight with the Spurs. Regarded as one of the league’s strongest defenders, Bowen was part of three San Antonio championship teams.

On June 24, he was part of a three-team trade with the Bucks and Pistons that brought Richard Jefferson to San Antonio. After an extended wait, during which Milwaukee tried to ship Bowen to another team, the Bucks released him last month.

Though he is now a free agent, Bowen said he had no plans to move on. He’ll be staying in San Antonio, his adopted home. The Spurs, for their part, had made it clear he wasn’t in their future plans.

“It was just about being able to say, ‘All right, it’s done,’ ” he said.

The added bonus, Bowen said: Being home for his sons, ages 2 and 3.

“(Yardley) enjoys the chance for them to see ‘Papi’ more,” Bowen said.

tmtcsc
09-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Folks, it was time. We don't see the practices, we certainly didn't want to see the reach fouls when he'd been beat, we didn't want to admit how much he relied on tricks of the trade to stay on the court and we didn't want to admit that defenses fell back off him and didn't really bother guarding him anymore.

I'm just glad he had the courage to see it was time and the coaching staff didn't hesitate to help him make that decision.

Put the numbers in the rafters and thanks for everything you have done and continue to do for the city.

DAF86
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Well that sucks, I wonder if he would have retired if he'd have gotten an offer from the Spurs.

Spurs_9_20_21
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm gonna miss ya Bruce! :depressed

manufan10
09-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Why doesn't the Spurs FO just sign him to the ceremonial one day contract? It's not going to hurt anything, that way he can officially retire as a Spur. I think that would be/send a special message.

Bukefal
09-03-2009, 11:16 AM
well, not surpising. Shame for him it worked out this way

King
09-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Isn't a little disheartening when 38 seems almost elderly? When, in reality, it's....38.

loveforthegame
09-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Not surprising but still sad to hear.

Thanks for the memories and best of luck in the future. Would love to see him broadcasting for sure.

Jersey in the rafters. :tu

Timmy21D
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
The writing on the wall was last season when he saw limited action. He was "THAT DUDE"- quick hands and lighting feet. He'll be entertaining on the broadcast booth as well.

hater
09-03-2009, 11:26 AM
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who the fuck is gonna guard Vagina Allen???? Wince Carter?????? Kobe Cryant??????

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

MoSpur
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Its a sad day, but I am happy for him. He gave the Spurs some very good seasons. One of the best perimeter defenders of all time.

timtonymanurich
09-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Isn't a little disheartening when 38 seems almost elderly? When, in reality, it's....38.

Shaq NEEDS to follow suit. He's virtually pre-historic as far as NBA standards go. People say "Oh, but Shaq put up such great numbers last year..." That's because he was their 4th option and all the other options were injured! PHX had no one else to go to for scoring! :donkey

Shaq needs to retire!:flipoff

But taking NOTHING away from Bruce, we may never see a better one-on-one defender with his ability to pester, irritate and ability to get into the head of his opponent better than Bruce 'the Shadow' Bowen!

mytespurs
09-03-2009, 11:28 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/56933617.html

Bruce Bowen has known for some time that this day would come. And now that it’s here, he’s feeling surprisingly calm about it.

The former Spurs great is retiring from the NBA.

“I’m very happy,” Bowen, 38, said this morning. “It hasn’t been difficult. I was content about it and understood it was going to happen.”

At a news conference this afternoon at the Yardley’s Salon and Spa, the business he owns with his wife, Yardley, Bowen will officially hang up his sneakers and move toward a future that will still include ties to basketball.

In addition to working on his local business and charity interests, Bowen had an audition with ESPN earlier this week and will be working on something with Turner Broadcasting later. He may also be doing some broadcasting work on high school games.

He also hopes to continue his advertising work with H-E-B, Hallmark Institute and AT&T.

“I’m always going to do something around the game of basketball,” Bowen said.

Though the Spurs will not be signing him to a ceremonial one-day contract or anything or that nature, Bowen said he feels he’s retiring as a Spur.

“Everybody knows, and Pop said the same thing, ‘You’re a Spur,’ ” Bowen said, referring to coach Gregg Popovich.

He spent 12 seasons in the league, including the final eight with the Spurs. Regarded as one of the league’s strongest defenders, Bowen was part of three San Antonio championship teams.

On June 24, he was part of a three-team trade with the Bucks and Pistons that brought Richard Jefferson to San Antonio. After an extended wait, during which Milwaukee tried to ship Bowen to another team, the Bucks released him last month.

Though he is now a free agent, Bowen said he had no plans to move on. He’ll be staying in San Antonio, his adopted home. The Spurs, for their part, had made it clear he wasn’t in their future plans.

“It was just about being able to say, ‘All right, it’s done,’ ” he said.

The added bonus, Bowen said: Being home for his sons, ages 2 and 3.

“(Yardley) enjoys the chance for them to see ‘Papi’ more,” Bowen said.

I wonder if he'll turn up as a guest on the TNT show with Kenny & Charles. Bruce has a great personality; he'd fit right in with that crew. :-)

Penya
09-03-2009, 11:29 AM
#12 in the rafters. Thank you, Bruce.

Morg1411
09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
You the man, Bruce! Thanks for redefining Defense and helping the Spurs with those titles!

phxspurfan
09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Good luck with the rest of your life, Bruce. We will miss you.

samikeyp
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
In a related note, Ray Allen reports that he strained ovary is now healed.

:toast to the last guy to ever wear #12

DynastySpurs210
09-03-2009, 11:58 AM
NO!!! THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING : (

THANKS BRUCE FOR EVERYTHING!

03,05,07:lobt2:

:http://www.nba.com/media/portrBB_627_070614.jpg

tp2021
09-03-2009, 12:02 PM
They need to hurry up and announce which game will carry his name up to the rafters so I can buy my damn tickets.

You are still one of the alltime greats to me, Bruce.

Dr. Gonzo
09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
The time was right for him. He was a great player. His number better be up in the rafters.

Spursone
09-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Bruce,

Thanks for the memories, great player, person, and one of the best defenders of the last 10 years. Class act, good luck in your future endeavors and hope to see your NUMBER RETIRED soon.

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:The team could not have done without you! 2003 2005 2007

Libri
09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Thank you Bruce! :worthy:

S2A9iGhatcc

EricB
09-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Early December for the ceremony please...

poop
09-03-2009, 12:15 PM
a landmark and sad day in the spurs world

kace
09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Well that sucks, I wonder if he would have retired if he'd have gotten an offer from the Spurs.

IMO, there's no "wonder" to have here. Bruce would certainly have stayed at least one more year if the spurs offered him a contract.

one of my favourite spurs. he will be missed. :toast

caribbean_spur
09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I am sad, but I guess it was bound to happen.

One of my fav spurs.

Taking it to the Hole
09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I am going to miss seeing him frustrate his opponents. No one got into the heads of players better than Bruce. No more corner 3's and last minute defensive heroics. All we can hope is that the Spurs are able to have the same intensity that Bruce brought every day to work. Here is to a great career Bruce!!!:toast

Spursfan092120
09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Despite how he was hated by many fans and players for his style of play, he always seemed like a good guy off the court. The stories I've read of him and when I've heard him speak, he came across as well spoken, intelligent, thoughtful, and compassionate. It was probably time. It might have been time the previous two seasons.

Tough player who was easy not to like if you weren't a fan of the Spurs. Good guy.
My wife's family has season tickets next to where Yardley's are. Met him several times. He's a phenomenal person...great great guy...Spurs fan or not.

ManuTP9
09-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for everything Bruce :toast

baseline bum
09-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Damn, Richard's got some huge shoes to fill this year. It's going to be so weird watching the Spurs and not seeing Bruce there; almost like when David retired. I can't believe the Spurs didn't bring him back. :pctoss

completely deck
09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
[quote=baseline bum;3667424 almost like when David retired.[/quote]

And yet they kept winning titles :toast

Libri
09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Playing defense seems like a lost art nowadays.

MB20
09-03-2009, 12:37 PM
I´ve always considered the Spurs to have a "big 4" instead of a "big 3".
Bruce was that important, imo.
Good Luck and Thank you for everything !

Samurai Jane
09-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Happy Retirement, Bruce!! We'll miss your "pesky" defense!

da_suns_fan
09-03-2009, 12:38 PM
I guess the Spurs can lose their "dirty" label now that Bowen and Horry are gone.

Mark in Austin
09-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Damn, Richard's got some huge shoes to fill this year. It's going to be so weird watching the Spurs and not seeing Bruce there; almost like when David retired. I can't believe the Spurs didn't bring him back. :pctoss

Agreed. I still don't think most fans understand what he meant to the Spurs defensively - he made the system work.

benefactor
09-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Cheers Bruce. The first thing that come to mind when we discuss the Spurs championships is usually the Big 3...but the reality of it is the Spurs always had a Big 4. :toast

Dre_7
09-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for all the memories!

Bruce Bowen has always been one of my all time favorite basketball players ever. Sad to see him go.

mjmbJm7idkI

DPG21920
09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Bruce is the man.

Mel_13
Here's to you, Bruce.:toast

A class act to the very end. You will be missed.

da_suns_fan

Ive been watching Dick Jefferson play since we were in high school.

By January, everyone on this board will be screaming at what a dissapointment he's been.

Fdawg07
09-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Today is a sad day. I'm not going to any of my classes and will sit at home in rememberance of him. We will def. miss you Bruce. Hopefully that #12 will be in the rafters.

da_suns_fan
09-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Today is a sad day. I'm not going to any of my classes and will sit at home in rememberance of him. We will def. miss you Bruce. Hopefully that #12 will be in the rafters.

I get it. Since Bruce had no class, youre not going to class.

CLEVER! :lol

crc21209
09-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I called it, back when Laker/Celtic fans were thinking they had a chance at Bruce joining their team. I knew it was going to be either come back a Spur or retire. Kudos to you Bruce..:tu. Can't wait to see that #12 hanging from the rafters..you deserve it. Not only were you one of the premier defenders in this league but you hit some pretty big shots at crucial times during many Playoff runs....but some people just don't seem to remember them...I do. Here's to Bruce Bowen....:toast

crc21209
09-03-2009, 12:47 PM
I get it. Since Bruce had no class, youre not going to class.

CLEVER! :lol

Way to try and troll this thread up...jackass.

TMTTRIO
09-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I wish Bruce all the best with whatever he's going to do in the future. He's always been one of my favorite Spurs and it's going to be hard seeing him not on the team :(. Hopefully he can do some commentating with Sean Elliott during the games. How fun would that be :).

Phenomanul
09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
They need to hurry up and announce which game will carry his name up to the rafters so I can buy my damn tickets.

You are still one of the alltime greats to me, Bruce.

They ought to do it for the Celtics game... sign him up for one game, unleash him on Allen (who will go 0-10), and then conduct the jersey ceremony after the game...

Or they could do it for either of the games Kobe comes to town...

That scenario would be the stuff of legends... :hat

Dr. Gonzo
09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I guess the Spurs can lose their "dirty" label now that Bowen and Horry are gone.

You are still bitter about Amare not being able to keep his retarded ass on the bench?

baseline bum
09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
They ought to do it for the Celtics game... sign him up for one game, unleash him on Allen (who will go 0-10), and then conduct the jersey ceremony after the game...

Or they could do it for either of the games Kobe comes to town...

That scenario would be the stuff of legends... :hat

In that case, his number should be retired in the playoffs. :lol

Phenomanul
09-03-2009, 12:59 PM
In that case, his number should be retired in the playoffs. :lol

Not possible... because it would have to occur after the playoff roster setting deadline...

wildbill2u
09-03-2009, 01:10 PM
While remembering all he brought to the Spurs in his basketball career, we ought not forget the amazing personal story of Bruce from his truly bad home situation as a child to his determination and tenacity in working through rejection at the NBA level via seasons in minor leagues and foreign leagues to a point where he refined his skills in the one area that most players despise and overlook to become one of the best in the game.

Nor should we overlook his gifts to the community in volunteer work. I think Bruce will continue to be one of the San Antonio communitys bright stars and leaders.

So this isn't goodbye. It's welcome home Bruce.

completely deck
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Ive been watching Dick Jefferson play since we were in high school.

By January, everyone on this board will be screaming at what a dissapointment he's been.

It must suck being down there in the bottom of the Western Conference with Houston and the Clippers.

Galileo
09-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Bruce's Hall-of-Fame Credentials:

3 rings
15th all-time in playoff threes; 168
5 times 1st team all-Defense (of 17 in NBA history)
3 times 2nd team all-Defense (of 17 to make the all-Defensive team 8 times)
6 seasons playing all 82 games
5 consecutive seasons starting 82 games
8 seasons missing zero games due to injury
7 consecutive seasons not missing a start to injury
held Kobe to zero free throws made in back-to-back games in '08 WCFs (1 attempt)
held Kobe to one free throw made in three games (2 attempts)
held Kobe to only 10 FTs made in 5 games (11 attempts)
one of thee greatest man-to-man defensers in NBA history
Spurs were in top 5 in Defensive rating all 8 years w/ Bowen, with 7 in top 3, 5 in top 2, and 3 in 1st, according to Basketball Reference.com
Tim Duncan's best friend

Sausage
09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
The moment I remember best about Bruce was the 4th quarter of Game 7 in the 2005 Finals.

He hit a 3 pointer at the top of the key, not in the corner, that was cool, and to help seal the deal, a vicious block by Bowen on Chauncey Billups.

Can't wait to see #12 in the rafters at the AT&T real soon.

ambchang
09-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Bruce Bowen has always been one of my favourite Spurs. His work ethic, and the way he lay it out all on the floor was what really allowed him to become a championship level starter, and all-D team member.

To me, work ethic and professionalism is a talent. And Bowen oozes it.

tomtom
09-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Let's hope an era of defense is not lost with his departure

Muser
09-03-2009, 01:39 PM

It's a shame the Suns are still gonna have their "suckass" label for the next few years with Nashes extension huh?

Galileo
09-03-2009, 01:40 PM

3 rings
held Kobe to zero free throws made in back-to-back games in '08 WCFs (1 attempt)
Spurs were in top 5 in Defensive rating all 8 years w/ Bowen, with 7 in top 3, 5 in top 2, and 3 in 1st, according to Basketball Reference.com
Tim Duncan's best friend

will Bowen make the Hall?

No, unless years down the road defensive players are put in.

Would I vote for Bowen?

Yes.

If a player is a top 20 all-time offensive player, is below average on D, but has one defensive skill (like blocks or steals), and gets 3 rings, he's in the Hall.

Why not reverse it?

Bowen is a top 20 all-time defensive player, with one offensive skill (threes), and has three rings.

I say Bowen DESERVES to be in the Hall-of-Fame.

da_suns_fan
09-03-2009, 01:43 PM
You are still bitter about Amare not being able to keep his retarded ass on the bench?

Horry hip-checked Nash, not Bowen. Horry's been gone for a while.

It must suck being down there in the bottom of the Western Conference with Houston and the Clippers.

Youre probably right. I dont play in the NBA so I wouldnt know.

It's a shame the Suns are still gonna have their "suckass" label for the next few years with Nashes extension huh?

:lol Nice, Texas!

SA210
09-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Phil and Kobe must be excited.

:pctoss

23LeBronJames23
Phew

Now LeBron can win the championshp

beachwood
Bowen made being a Spurs fan great. Thanks Bruce!

21_Blessings
09-03-2009, 01:51 PM
One of the dirtiest players to ever lace em up. Without Tim Duncan Bowen would have been out of the NBA years ago. Good riddance.

coyotes_geek
09-03-2009, 01:51 PM

3 rings
Tim Duncan's best friend

I love Bruce and everything he's done for the team and the community, but no. Bruce Bowen does not belong in the hall of fame. Sorry to be a buzzkill.

SA210
09-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Phew

Now LeBron can win the championshp

duncan228
09-03-2009, 01:54 PM
To Bruce Bowen. :toast

I've followed this team forever, but have seen them only once live. I'm so glad I got to see Bowen play. It was amazing to watch him in person, without having to depend on the cameras. He was a pest, and I mean that in the best way. Defense brings home Championships, and Bowen was one of the best. I wish him the best in whatever he persues.

velik_m
09-03-2009, 01:54 PM
:pctoss This has been an all-around crappy day.

21_Blessings
09-03-2009, 01:55 PM

:rollin Kobe shat on Bowen that entire series. Haha, yeah it was Bowen that "held" Kobe to no free throws, not the refs. Good one.

Galileo
09-03-2009, 01:56 PM
I love Bruce and everything he's done for the team and the community, but no. Bruce Bowen does not belong in the hall of fame. Sorry to be a buzzkill.

why not?

Is not defense just as important as offense in basketball?

Some think it more important.

lefty
09-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Didn't get the frontpage on ESPN

Surprise surprise ...................................

Muser
09-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Spurminator
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm trying to balance my sense of gratitude and admiration for Bowen with my frustration with the fact that he is retiring without having been recognized as the best defensive player in the game.

Congrats to Bruce on a great and inspirational career.

peacemaker885
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
To Bruce Bowen. :toast

I've followed this team forever, but have seen them only once live. I'm so glad I got to see Bowen play. It was amazing to watch him in person, without having to depend on the cameras. He was a pest, and I mean that in the best way. Defense brings home Championships, and Bowen was one of the best. I wish him the best in whatever he persues.

Same here. Good luck Bruce! You will always be one our best defenders ever!

coyotes_geek
09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
why not?

Is not defense just as important as offense in basketball?

Some think it more important.

Defense is important. Bruce still isn't a HOF player.

Mel_13
09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
will Bowen make the Hall?

No, unless years down the road defensive players are put in.

why not?

You've already answered your own question.

Dex
09-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Per Manu's Facebook:

Brucey, thanks for 7 wonderful seasons (w/3 rings included!). U r gonna be missed, amigo! But in some way, glad you are not gonna be chasing me everywhere playing for another team! ;-). All the best for u and ur great fam!

:lol I believe we're all secretly thinking the same thing.

Thanks for everything, Bruce. Your contributions and efforts will always be remembered, and it must be nice going out as one of the most beloved players for any city. San Antonio thanks you, and #12 has a spot waiting in the rafters.

SKINNYPIMP210
09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Per Manu's Facebook:

:lol I believe we're all secretly thinking the same thing.

Thanks for everything, Bruce. Your contributions and efforts will always be remembered, and it must be nice going out as one of the most beloved players for any city. San Antonio thanks you, and #12 has a spot waiting in the rafters.

:toast

urunobili
09-03-2009, 02:06 PM

duncan228
09-03-2009, 02:09 PM
The Express-News Bowen Slideshow.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/Bruce_Bowen_090309.html

baseline bum
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Without Pamela Mackey Kobe would have been out of the NBA years ago. Good riddance.

fify

all_heart
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks Bruce.. for being a great Spur and all your hard work. You'll be missed out there. :toast

duncan228
09-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Bruce Bowen Announces Retirement (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/09/bruce-bowen-announces-retirement/)
by Ryne Nelson
SLAM

Give Bruce Bowen credit for getting it right. Somehow, someway, Bruce Bowen managed to capture every basketball fan’s attention despite entering the League as an undrafted swingman with less offensive game than Cookie Monster (and that’s no disrespect to the furry dude).

Bowen won three titles. He played in 500 consecutive games. He earned eight straight All-Defensive First and Second Team nominations. DPOY runner-up twice. But, most of all, we watched the Spurs because of him.

Yeah, we watched to see Ginobili breaking ankles (and his own included), Tony Parker slicing through the lane like a knife through aged brie, and that dude called Tim kissing the glass. But Bruce Bowen was the reason we paid close attention. He was the reason many hated (and loved) the Spurs. Bruce Bowen, in many people’s eyes, embodied the hard-working, stop at nothing, come outta nowhere success story that the Spurs executed so well.

Now the 38-year-old is calling it a career. From the San Antonio Express-News:

Bruce Bowen has known for some time that this day would come. And now that it’s here, he’s feeling surprisingly calm about it. The former Spurs great is retiring from the NBA.

The Spurs still think they have what it takes to get another title, and, frankly, you can’t count them out as long as Duncan’s in-uniform and Gregg P is on the bench. But, without their Iron Man on defense, it’s going to be more of a struggle. Bowen’s been on the decline for the past couple years, and, despite solid playoff runs, the Spurs haven’t been able to claim the ultimate prize.

Some may have hated Bowen’s game, but all can appreciate his accomplishments — not only as a player, but for the Spurs organization and the San Antonio community. When we remember the Spurs dynasty, we’ll not only think about the Big Three, but also about Bruce B (sorry, but I had to claim the rhyme). And for everything he’s accomplished while in the silver and black, Bruce’s jersey deserves a spot among the AT&T Center rafters.

Spursfan092120
09-03-2009, 02:16 PM
:rollin Kobe shat on Bowen that entire series. Haha, yeah it was Bowen that "held" Kobe to no free throws, not the refs. Good one.
Go away, troll

Crookshanks
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Man - it's going to be wierd not hearing Bill Schoening say "his spot, his shot" anymore. :depressed

Bruce has always been one of my favorite players and he will be sorely missed. I hope Pop makes the young guys watch tape of Bruce over and over and over so they can see how real defense is played. :lol

spurschick
09-03-2009, 02:21 PM
:toast to Bruce Bowen.

lurker23
09-03-2009, 02:24 PM
:toast to Bruce Bowen. I'll never forget how you embodied the defense-first attitude, nor your contributions to the community. My favorite memory will probably continue to be the 2007 NBA Finals, where you could easily argue that Bruce deserved the MVP.

Oh, and you definitely retire #12. This season, please.

Spurs Brazil
09-03-2009, 02:27 PM
THANK YOU BRUCE BOWEN

You were fantastic in those 8 seasons in San Antonio. Playing hard every night, playing defense every night and also making a lot of clutch shots in the playoffs

I hope the Spurs retire his jersey next season

Thanks Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/files/uploads/BruceBowenBlocksDirk.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/marty_burns/11/15/bowen.reputation/p1.rip.bowen.jpg

http://nbcsportsmedia1.msnbc.com/j/apmegasports/saa11005090255.widec.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/06/13/spurs.bowen/p1_bowen-getty.jpg

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=202&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=1398950

http://k53.pbase.com/v3/46/28646/2/46302610.IMG_8315abivhalf85.jpg

xellos88330
09-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Bruce and Sean as announcers together would be worth watching just by itself let alone the game.

That would be EPIC!!!

Evil Angel
09-03-2009, 02:38 PM
One of the dirtiest players to ever lace em up. Without Tim Duncan Bowen would have been out of the NBA years ago. Good riddance.
:nope
Give it a rest on his day.

spursfan09
09-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the great games and great memories Bruce!!! My best memory of you is in 2005, game 7 against the Pistons and you blocked Billups shot. That's when I knew it really was over, and the game belonged to us! You are a great defender, and were never scared to get take a big shot. You turned the soft Spurs into "dirty" Spurs. :lol Love you Bruce! Forever a Spur!

NRHector
09-03-2009, 02:51 PM
good luck Bruce, you will be missed, enjoy your retirement :toast

SA210
09-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Love ya Bruce! :depressed

z0sa
09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
how very saddening.

JUUOT
09-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Bruce Bowen is the symbol of what the spurs are for me! He was a big factor for young players being successful like tony and manu. I will miss him and I wish him a successful career in broadcasting cause i would love to hear him. HE IS A SPUR and will always be one! bring the shirt up in the rafters

Streakyshooter08
09-03-2009, 03:11 PM
All the best to Bruce!!! Thanks for everything!!! Still looking for a Bowen jersey and never got one...

angelbelow
09-03-2009, 03:14 PM
good luck bruce..

silverblackfan
09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Good luck, Bruce. You will remain one of my favorite players of all time.

Spur|n|Austin
09-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the memories and hard work, and good luck to you in the future Bruce!

duncan228
09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
48MoH’s Greatest Hits: The Bowen Collection

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/09/03/48mohs-greatest-hits-the-bowen-collection/

picc84
09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Like to see him get involved in sports analysis in some way, i'm sure a role player like him probably has a lot of insight into basketball intricacies and things no one else would think of.

boutons_deux
09-03-2009, 03:36 PM
dropping 7 3Gs to eliminate the Lakers @LA

blocking Chauncey's 3G in final minutes of 05 Game 7, GAMEOVER.

romain.star
09-03-2009, 03:45 PM
great news

I've always hated this guy

lefty
09-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Bruce was the mastermind of the Spurs :hat

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1145/531801703_c7bedeb28f_o.jpg

slick'81
09-03-2009, 03:52 PM
he should get his number retired no question

in his prime he was an an alltime elite nba defender

he will be missed

TIMMYD!
09-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Put his number on the rafters and make him part of our broadcasting crew.

lefty
09-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Damn I will miss him so much

Thank you for all the hard work and the great memories Bruce :tu

SA210
09-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm trying to balance my sense of gratitude and admiration for Bowen with my frustration with the fact that he is retiring without having been recognized as the best defensive player in the game.

Congrats to Bruce on a great and inspirational career.

Bruce was robbed of DPOY several times. What a damn ridiculous shame.

SA210
09-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I hope that Spurs realize we need him after the 1st half of the season, and we sign him for the 2nd half. A dream, but i wish.

duncan228
09-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Ex-Spurs forward Bowen retires after 12 seasons (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bowenretires&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Michelle Roberts

Bruce Bowen won’t be pestering the NBA’s best anymore.

The 38-year-old former San Antonio Spurs forward retired Thursday after 12 seasons and a reputation as one of the league’s most menacing defenders, hounding opponents with a tenacity that some players groused was more dirty than dogged.

He called it quits after being waived this summer by Milwaukee, where the Spurs dealt him in a veteran dump-off for swingman Richard Jefferson—a decision Bowen said he understood.

“You need to do things to better the business, and the Spurs definitely got better in the players they received, so I’m looking forward to continuously supporting the Spurs, but from more of a distance now,” he said in a news conference at his wife’s San Antonio salon.

Bowen said he had been weighing retirement for the last five years.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili get most of the glory for bringing three NBA championships to San Antonio this decade. But Bowen gladly did the dirty work, relishing his role as the pesky, lockdown defender who covered the other team’s best player.

Asked about the likely reaction to his retirement from stars like the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant and the Phoenix Suns’ Steve Nash, Bowen chuckled, “I’m sure a lot of people are happy.”

Bowen was named eight times to the NBA’s all-defensive team. He finished runner-up three times in defensive player of the year voting. And though he never averaged more than 8.2 points a season, Bowen didn’t shy from taking a clutch 3-pointer.

He started alongside the Big Three during the championship runs in 2003, 2005 and 2007. Bowen went on to start 500 straight games before kicking New Orleans’ Chris Paul in March 2008 and drawing a one-game suspension—justice in the eyes of Bowen’s critics.

Opposing fans vilified Bowen as a master of cheap shots and sneaky shoves. Amare Stoudemire once insisted Bowen purposely kicked him in the playoffs. Dirk Nowitzki said after a physical April playoff game that it was the Spurs who had a dirty player, not Dallas.

Nowitzki didn’t mention Bowen by name. He didn’t have to.

Bowen acknowledged Thursday only one play in which he purposely kicked another player: Ray Allen in a March 2006 game against the Seattle SuperSonics, a scuffle that earned him a $10,000 fine.

“That play, I remember and I regret because of me intentionally doing that,” Bowen said.

But he said that his reputation as a sometimes dirty player is unfair.

“People are entitled to their own opinions. I’ve been fighting that for quite some time,” said Bowen, who added he drew a lot of calls because of bad timing. “It just so happened that I was there after everyone stuck their hands in the cookie jar and then the lights came on and I had a cookie.”

Bowen was not the most obvious starter for a championship team early in his career. Drafted by Miami from Cal State Fullerton, he spent several seasons bouncing between clubs and earning little playing time.

But after his 2001 arrival in San Antonio, he found his place, eventually earning defensive player accolades and a regular starting job.

He said he hopes that will be his legacy.

“It’s not how you start but how you finish,” Bowen said. “I hope my legacy would be as someone that never was satisfied with just being where they were.”

bigbendbruisebrother
09-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the great games and great memories Bruce!!! My best memory of you is in 2005, game 7 against the Pistons and you blocked Billups shot. That's when I knew it really was over, and the game belonged to us! You are a great defender, and were never scared to get take a big shot. You turned the soft Spurs into "dirty" Spurs. :lol Love you Bruce! Forever a Spur!

That block was every bit as important as Horry's 3 in game five. I'm going to miss Bruce's tenacity. Duncan has been the brain of the team, Manu the heart, and Tony the legs. Bruce has been the backbone.

EDIT: Holy shit. That block is not on youtube. WTF?

Leftyventricle
09-03-2009, 04:50 PM
VIA Bruce's Twitter:

Bowen12 THANKS SAN ANTONIO, FOR YOUR LOVE AND CONTINUED SUPPORT! LET'S MAKE SURE WE SHOW THE NEW SPURS THE SAME LOVE THAT YOU ALL SHOWED ME!

Ghjkll
09-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you Bruce, you were part of the Big 4 that brought us three championships :toast. We´ll miss you!

J_Paco
09-03-2009, 06:39 PM
With Bruce's retirement, this honestly is the end of an era in Spurs basketball. Bruce represented everything that these championship teams were all about with tremendous grit, determination and heart. The man never backed down from an assignment or challenge. How many players today would be willing to take on such a role, while also being humble enough to take on the absolute best players at the three perimeter positions??? How many guys can go from pestering Carmelo, wearing down Paul, frustrating Vince, and getting in the head of Ray Allen? We all know that these guys can easily embrass any defender, and at times they did so to Bruce, but he never wavered in sticking to his assignment. I'll miss Bruce for the great defender he was, but also for the great human being he is.

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: Thanks for the memories, Bruce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mosdef17
09-03-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't know if this has already been said but I would like to see the Spurs hire Bowen specifically to work one on one part time with George Hill. Obviously George should be working with a PG too to further develop him at the point but because of the body he possesses he is also a very capable defender and would benefit greatly from the one on one time with Bruce.

raspsa
09-03-2009, 06:44 PM
He's who comes to mind first when someone mentions "Spurs Basketball"..

elbamba
09-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for years of solid hard work. Bruce always provided what the Spurs needed from him. Whether it was a timely three pointer or to just make the best player on the other team life hell

timtonymanu
09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
thanks Bruce for everything. The big 4 is now down to a big 3. It's a shame we couldnt get you one more before you retired. It sucks I have to watch one more year of Bonner and Finley instead of you. Thanks for putting all those soft pussies in their place. GO BRUCE!!!!!!

timvp
09-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Thank you, Bruce Bowen.

Brazil
09-03-2009, 08:35 PM
:toast to a great bb player and a great human being !

Danny.Zhu
09-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Thank you Bruce!!

SenorSpur
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Mere words of appreciation to BB, just don't seem like enough.

I'll still rock your jersey to Spurs road games.

Always my DPOY!

:tu to the Rash!

Thanks for being a consummate teammate and fine pro.

09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
:cheer:huddle::chestbump:worthy::clap:hungry:Their go your dream for winning a championship.now that bruce bowen is gone retirement.Bruce will make a comeback.

BRUCE, PLEASE COME BACK TO THE SPURS UNIFORMS.
:flag::flag::flag::flag:

Leetonidas
09-03-2009, 09:33 PM
We'll miss you Bruce.

On another note, I'm getting annoyed with all the douche-fag posters on RealGM slamming Bowen and calling him a shitty human being. It's like all they can do to call him a dirty player is cite like 3 specific plays in his 8 years here. :rolleyes

Brodels
09-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm more of a lurker than a poster these days, but I felt that I needed to come in here and express my thoughts about Bruce. He certainly didn't carry the team like Tony, Manu, or Tim, but I can't think of anyone who represented what the Spurs were all about more than Bruce.

Anyone who watched the Spurs last year undoubtedly noticed that the defense was not the same. I believe Bruce had a lot to do with that. It wasn't even so much about his relentless pestering of the opponent's best player. It was more about the attitude that he brought to the court. He was a role player, but the others seemed to feed off him on the defensive end of the court. I think the Spurs really missed his energy and dedication to playing great defense. Matt Bonner playing major minutes didn't help, of course.

He's certainly one of my favorites and I hope his number is eventually retired. If you consider the other numbers they've retired recently, he certainly deserves it.

He was a methodical assassin on the defensive end. A pure joy to watch, and more of a difference maker than many will ever know. I'll miss you, Bruce.

duncan228
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Oliver updated.

Bruce Bowen retires from NBA (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Bruce_Bowen_is_retiring_today.html)
Richard Oliver - Express-News

A few moments after officially retiring from the NBA on Thursday afternoon, Bruce Bowen delivered a message to one of the players he’d harassed on the court for more than a decade.

Your long nightmare is over.

Steve Nash, he said, “can go ahead and hang up his cup.”

The Phoenix Suns guard, famously kneed in the groin by Bowen during the postseason three years ago, joins bedeviled scorers such as Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd and Ray Allen in breathing a little easier today.

The 38-year-old Bowen, regarded as one of the league’s most dogged — and notorious — defenders during an eight-year stint with the Spurs, told a media gathering at Yardley’s Salon and Spa, the business he owns with his wife, that he was done after a “blessed” career.

“It was a joyous occasion for me to be able to play this long in the NBA,” Bowen said. But, he added, “I’m no spring chicken, but more like a rooster now.”

The announcement puts the exclamation point on a 12-season career that saw the former Cal State-Fullerton headliner remake himself as a smothering lock-down defender in San Antonio after a mercurial career that previously had taken him to France, the CBA, and NBA stops in Miami, Boston and Philadelphia.

Signed by the Spurs in the summer of 2001, Bowen made the NBA’s all-defensive first team for five straight years beginning in 2003-04. He also became a solid 3-point threat while serving as the blue-collar background catalyst to three league championships in San Antonio.

“Bruce contributed a great deal to the success of our franchise,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. “He’s built a great legacy in the San Antonio community and we all wish him well as he enters into the next phase of his life with his family.”

Bowen, who will remain in San Antonio, plans to remain close to basketball through a hoped-for broadcasting career. He has auditioned for a role with ESPN’s coverage of the NBA, and is scheduled to work in an unspecified role with Turner Broadcasting.

“The thing for Bruce is, he needs to find a sense of purpose and something to fill that void,” said former Spurs standout Sean Elliott, a analyst on the team’s television broadcasts. “That’s going to be the toughest thing for someone like Bruce because he works so hard at it.”

Bowen also hopes to remain proactive in his many charity and promotional works.

“He’s always on the go,” said Yardley, his wife of five years. “He’s hyper.”

As a result, she joked, “I told him when we got married that I expect him out of the house at least four times a week.”

Bowen’s tenure with the Spurs ended on June 24 when he was part of a three-team trade with the Milwaukee Bucks and Detroit Pistons that brought scorer Richard Jefferson to San Antonio. After an extended and frustrating wait, during which Milwaukee shopped him around, the Bucks waived him last month.

Bowen officially became a free agent Aug. 1 when the Bucks paid $2 million to buy out his $4 million contract for the 2009-10 campaign. But the player, who admitted he had considered retiring after the past five seasons, ignored overtures from a scattering of teams, some reportedly contenders.

“They said all the right things,” Bowen said of the flirtations, “but I’m in a different stage in my career.”

He stressed that he would not be returning to play later, noting that he has seen several players do that and regret it afterward. But had the Spurs welcomed him back, he likely would have played another season with the Spurs.

By late last season, however, Bowen sensed he would not be part of San Antonio’s roster plans. After the deal with Milwaukee, a moribund franchise that he had no intention of joining, his decision was in place.

“I always wanted to leave on my own terms,” he said. “I’m able to do that now.”

There is fallout, however, and Bowen let his wife know.

“Now,” he said, “instead of filet mignon, she’s going to have to get the chicken.”

Taking the Long Way

Bruce Bowen was already 30 when Spurs scouting director Lance Blanks carried a contract to China, where Bowen was on an NBA goodwill tour in 2001. It was one of many stops Bowen made before making San Antonio his home and helping the Spurs win three NBA titles:

1989-93: Fresno State — Averaged 11.4 points and 5.8 rebounds in 101 games.
1993-94: Le Havre (France)
1994-95: Évreux (France)
1995-96: Évreux, Fort Wayne Fury (CBA) and Rockford Lightning (CBA)
1996-97: Besançon (France), Rockford, Miami Heat
1997-99: Boston Celtics
1999-00: Philadelphia 76ers, Miami Heat
2000-01: Heat — Named NBA All-Defensive second team
2001-02: Signs one-year deal with Spurs for $716,000 after Heat coach Pat Riley says Bowen’s skills “can be found and taught.”
2002: Spurs re-sign him to three-year deal for $11.2 million after he averages 7.0 points and is named to that second team again.

koriwhat
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
www.retirenumber12.com (www.retirenumber12.com)

Avitus1
09-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Bruce will be missed but maybe we'll be get to see him on TV as an analyst.

quentin_compson
09-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Well, it wasn't that surprising, but still, it is sad to see him gone. But I'm somehow glad that he didn't sign with another team (selfish, I know). Bruce will be forever remembered by us Spurs fans as a guy who was a big piece of the success the Spurs have had over the last couple of years. He was just a pro, a hard worker and one the best defenders in the league for such a long time. It would be impossible to overestimate his contributions to the 03, 05 and 07 championships (especially the last one, where he did such a great job against LeBron in the Finals). It is a bad joke he never won the DPoY-Award.

All the best to Bruce and his family - have a great time in your life after basketball. I'm sure they will retire his jersey, they just have to.

ThaiFanofSpurs
09-04-2009, 05:19 AM
You will always be remembered as one of my favorite Spurs! Thank you, Bruce Bowen.

eisfeld
09-04-2009, 06:17 AM
Great player, great character and the perimeter defense menace of the last decade. I wish him all the best for the future and thanks for what he has done for the spurs. :flag:

Texas_Ranger
09-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Goodbye Bruce.

NickiRasgo
09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks Bruce. :D I'll hope you watch together with The Admiral when the Spurs have a game.

superbigtime
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Thank you Bruce! Embodied the ideal of a hard working professional athlete. He never quit and was a very reliable player in giving effort and by staying healthy for so long. I know he could still play. What a professional, the way he handles the media and this retirement situation. I am very glad he will remain a fixture in the San Antonio community like other SA greats Elliott, Gervin and Robinson. It's going to be really strange to not see him on the court this season. Retire # 12 !

angel_luv
09-04-2009, 12:14 PM
It was a joy and a blessing to have Bruce Bowen on the Spurs. I wish him great success and happiness in all his future endeavors. I hope his plans including co-commentating on Spurs games with Sean Elliott because that would be fantastic!

Bo hopes Bruce continues to do HEB commercials.

Das Texan
09-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Man. It's gonna be different without seeing Bruce on the Spurs roster.

Thanks for all the awesome memories Bruce!

Macca76
09-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Thank you Mr Bowen.

Enjoy you new life :toast

temujin
09-06-2009, 04:33 PM
A man that could win a ball game without scoring a point.

Bruce
Bowen.

Shaolin-Style
09-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Aw man, he was always one of my favorite players. I remember when I would play basketball games online I'd name my handle something like BruceBowened.

I guess it would've sucked one way or another to see him play for someone else but I didn't want him to give it up though :(

raspsa
09-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Plenty rejoicing on the Suns' board..

afireinside20
09-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Goodbye Bruce. We're gonna miss ya pal.

Chieflion
09-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Happy retirement, Bruce. You deserve it.