PDA

View Full Version : Mason/McCants/Wally or Ronald Murray?

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-03-2009, 03:43 PM
In the media it has said the Nuggets are interested in one of these guys, who should they take?

McCants - Headcase but talented, Nuggets don't need 2 JR Smiths on the team :lol

Wally - Older, but a good locker room guy, can shoot the 3 but can't defend. He would be a nice replacement for Kleiza

Mason - Decent defender, bad injury last season though and he can't shoot to save his live.

Murray - meh

Morg1411
09-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I'd say McCants or Wally World. Wally is more stable, but I think McCants is an all around better player.

JamStone
09-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Desmond Mason?

Probably McCants makes the most sense.

TD 21
09-03-2009, 03:56 PM
In the media it has said the Nuggets are interested in one of these guys, who should they take?

McCants - Headcase but talented, Nuggets don't need 2 JR Smiths on the team :lol

Wally - Older, but a good locker room guy, can shoot the 3 but can't defend. He would be a nice replacement for Kleiza

Mason - Decent defender, bad injury last season though and he can't shoot to save his live.

Murray - meh

The Nuggets definitely don't need another headcase on the team. McCants is essentially a less talented Smith. McCants is strictly a two, and Murray is a two-one. What the Nuggets need is a true three who can shoot the ball. Mason is a three-two, but an undersized one who can't shoot. Szczerbiak fits the bill. He's the only one that's a true three, can shoot the ball, and he's a veteran who will know his role, unlike McCants, and Murray, two gunners who like to go for theirs.

duncan228
09-04-2009, 03:25 PM
For you NuGGeTs-FaN.

With healthy returns, no reason Nuggets can't be even better (http://www.probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=714)
By Tony Mejia
Pro Basketball News

DENVER NUGGETS (54-28)

How it ended: First thing I'd do come training camp if I were George Karl is work on new inbounds plays. Trevor Ariza swiped a pair of key sideline entry passes to help the Lakers get out of trouble in a Western Conference finals that Denver had its chances to steal before losing in six, ending the longest playoff run in Nuggets history.

Coach: Karl looks secure in his seat as head Nugget, with a contract extension in the works to keep him from entering the season on the final year of his current deal. Despite helping guide the team to five consecutive winning seasons, finally getting out of the first round has the organization all warm and fuzzy over their coach.

Arrivals: G Ty Lawson, G Arron Afflalo, F Malik Allen

Departures: F Linas Kleiza, G Dahntay Jones, F/C Steven Hunter, G Sonny Weems

Projected starters: F Carmelo Anthony, F Kenyon Martin, C Nene, G Chauncey Billups, G Arron Afflalo.

Position battles: Afflalo gets first crack at the role vacated when Jones left for Indiana, but has to prove he can be as sound a defender. Re-signing Anthony Carter takes some pressure off Lawson to get up to speed immediately, but Carter is versatile enough to fit in elsewhere if he does lose time at the point. Someone has to take up Kleiza's time on the floor, unless Karl opts to give the extra time to J.R. Smith once he gets back from suspension. Renaldo Balkman and Malik Allen are also hopeful of cracking Karl's final rotation.

Chemistry experiment: Billups will get his first training camp with the Nugs to better figure out how he can keep scorers Anthony and Smith happy and productive when they're on the floor together. Karl knows that his best bet at taking down L.A. is to put his most dangerous offensive team on the floor, which can only happen if Billups is quarterbacking efficiently. Getting comfortable with the speed Lawson affords the second unit is another camp mission that should benefit bigs Chris Andersen and Johan Petro, condors who run the floor well but bringing little offense to the table.

Best case: Smith returns from his seven-game suspension and makes up for lost time, playing with greater maturity on both ends of the floor. Anthony continues to emerge, Martin and Nene stay healthy and the team makes a run at 60 wins while entering the postseason at full strength.

Worst case: The magic Billups brought dissipates and the team starts flirting with inconsistency, running with L.A. and San Antonio one night while losing to Memphis or Minnesota the next. Nene and Martin, who played in 80 games together, including every single one come playoffs, don't see the floor together for half that total.

Prediction: Although Kleiza's departure for Greece affects their depth, the Nuggets return enough to feel good about, holding off Portland and Utah for another division title. Billups has to work on his efficiency to remain a strong asset, so count on him staying focused and keeping Anthony and Smith content. As long as frontcourt injuries don't get in the way, Denver has a shot at bettering 2008-09's single-season record for wins.

lefty
09-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Ronald Murray + McCants = Ronald McDonald

anakha
09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Weren't there reports of Wally being a malcontent before? I wouldn't be so quick to label him a 'good locker room guy' just yet.

DPG21920
09-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Losing Kleiza is was a big blow to the Nuggets. Afflalo will make up for Dahntay, but I don't think they will be better than last year. McCants would help make up for losing Kleiza, but he had nice size and ability.

It is another year of worrying about Kenyon being healthy, Ty Lawson should be an upgrade, but I don't like the depth of the team.

TD 21
09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Weren't there reports of Wally being a malcontent before? I wouldn't be so quick to label him a 'good locker room guy' just yet.

I called him "a veteran who knows his role", not "a good locker room guy". At this point in his career, that's what he is, at least on a championship contender, such as the case was last year with the Cavaliers. Earlier in his career he was known as an arrogant malcontent, if I recall.

At any rate, he's the best fit for the Nuggets out of the four players listed. They need someone to replace Kleiza, and Szezerbiak comes closer to doing that than the other three. I suspect he'll be the one they ultimately sign.

Nuggets questions:

1) With reports that Smith is set to start at SG, will they be able to thrive without a true go-to scorer off the bench or a lock down defender in the starting lineup?

2) Will Karl play Lawson, the talented rookie, over Carter, the wily veteran, who's also an organizational favorite?

3) Who will be the 13th man? My guess is Petro is the one more often than not de-activated, although he could flip flop with Allen depending on the opposition.

sribb43
09-04-2009, 07:31 PM
If you want a mavs killer take Murray

mogrovejo
09-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Wally.

Chieflion
09-04-2009, 08:21 PM
McCants could be your super 6th man. Murray is a good vet. Take your pick.

spursfan1000
09-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Wally could be a good fit, I don't see him signing with Cavs.

anakha
09-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I called him "a veteran who knows his role", not "a good locker room guy".

I was referring to the OP.