PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn’t Chris Paul’s Amazing Season Get More Attention?

duncan228
09-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Why Didn’t Chris Paul’s Amazing Season Get More Attention? (http://dimemag.com/2009/09/why-wasnt-chris-pauls-amazing-season-more-recognized/)
By Ben York
Dime

While writing my portion of the Chris Paul vs. Tony Parker debate (http://dimemag.com/2009/09/whos-better-chris-paul-or-tony-parker/), it really got me thinking – how in the hell was Chris Paul not reasonably considered for the 2008-09 Most Valuable Player?

The 08/09 Most Valuable Player was a three-horse race between LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade. However, their play and respective team’s success unfortunately overshadowed Chris Paul’s; one of the best individual seasons by a point guard in the history of the NBA (http://dimemag.com/2009/08/five-point-guards-to-watch-for-2009-10/).

For example, on April 12th, Chris Paul posted a stat line of 31 points, 17 assists, 9 rebounds, 1 turnover and 73% from the field in 44 minutes against the Dallas Mavericks in a 102-92 victory. The crazy/amazing thing is that awe-inspiring games like this from Paul have started to become somewhat commonplace.

It’s not that I disagree with King James winning the award; not by a long shot. It’s just that I’m still having an extremely difficult time fathoming how CP3 received just 192 total votes (good for 5th place); only two of which were 1st place votes, just one 2nd place vote and only nine 3rd place votes.

Are you kidding me?

Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets certainly didn’t have a good playoff showing (http://dimemag.com/2009/07/hawks-hornets-trying-to-move-on-up-plus-steve-nashs-shot-at-la/); that much is certain. After losing to the San Antonio Spurs in 7 games in 07/08, many picked the Hornets to rival the Lakers this past season for Western Conference supremacy. With the addition of recently crowned NBA Champion James Posey in the off-season, they quickly shored up their front line and added a bona fide defensive presence that previously hampered them in the playoffs. David West was effective down low, Tyson Chandler proved he could be a legitimate force in the paint and Peja Stojakovic was (and still is) as deadly a shooter as anyone in the League.

Unfortunately for the Hornets, they rarely got to see how special that lineup could be. Chandler missed virtually half the season due to an ankle injury, Peja was been hampered by back problems and missed close to 30 games, Posey was unreliable when healthy (which wasn’t often), reserve Morris Peterson missed almost 20 games from an ankle sprain and even David West missed some time. Essentially, a large amount of players on the Hornets were constantly injured and unable to play at some point last season (http://dimemag.com/2009/07/09-free-agency-hornets/)for a considerable amount of time. Yet, the Hornets still managed to win 49 games - and 99% of the credit needs to go to Chris Paul.

Paul averaged career highs in ppg (23.0), field goal percentage (50%), steals per game (3.0), rebounds per game (5.5), free throws made per game (5.8), free throws attempted (6.7), free throw percentage (87%) and minutes played per game (38.5). More importantly, he accomplished this with anywhere from 1-4 of his fellow starters not being on the court the entire season.

For comparison’s sake, where would the other Western Conference playoff teams have been without 2-4 starters on a regular basis? Would the Lakers have won a championship without Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher consistently? Would the Nuggets have been the 2nd seed if Chauncey Billups and Nene Hilario were out? What about the Spurs minus Duncan and Ginobli? Dallas without Jason Terry and Jason Kidd?

Okay, that’s certainly subjective and based on predictions and opinions. While other teams in the West had a deep bench that could help fill the gaps when injuries occurred (like the Lakers, Rockets and Jazz), the Hornets supporting cast was certainly nothing to write home about (http://dimemag.com/2009/07/50-for-the-future-chris-paul-chris-bosh/). Sean Marks who barely saw any minutes during his time in Phoenix was a consistent member of the Hornets rotation. Hilton Armstrong only notched about 5 ppg while Devin Brown averaged about the same. Since New Orleans only scored about 96 points per game, when several players were out who averaged double digits in scoring (they only had four total), it was a huge loss.

As mentioned, Chris Paul averaged 23 points and 11 assists per game. When combined, on any given night, those stats feasibly accounted for over half of the Hornets total points. He also took away another several possessions per game from the opposing team with his defense and steals. Again, these numbers were attained in spite of an incredibly depleted Hornets squad around him.

Perhaps what should’ve propelled Paul into legitimate MVP consideration was the conference in which he tallied these unbelievable stats. There is no denying the West was a far superior conference than the East last season. For instance, the Phoenix Suns who missed playoffs, would’ve been a 5th seed in the East. The Hornets also played in, unquestionably, the toughest division in the entire NBA last season with the Spurs, Rockets and Mavericks. Not discounting LeBron or Wade’s accomplishments last year, but they did play in a more “winnable” atmosphere.

Again, it’s not that I feel he should’ve won the award, but why wasn’t Paul ever a front runner in the MVP race? He bested the numbers he put up the previous year which were good for second in MVP voting (http://dimemag.com/2009/07/top-10-point-guards-of-the-08-09-season/). When Steve Nash won his first MVP in 04/05, it was his absence that truly sealed the deal for him. The Suns were without Nash for several games in the middle of the season due to injury, and lost each one. Ultimately, that solidified him as the most important player for his team, of any team in the NBA. When Paul was out for several games this past year, the Hornets went 2-2 and had a horrific collapse against the Blazers. Upon his return, the Hornets won six in a row.

Without delving into the much-debated question about what defines an MVP candidate, you could make a solid case for Chris Paul having a better year than either LeBron James or D-Wade (http://dimemag.com/2008/08/olympics-team-usa-chris-paul-feature/).

Paul 23ppg 11apg 5.5rpg 50%fg 3.2st 3.0to
James 28ppg 7apg 7.6rpg 48%fg 1.7st 3.0to
Wade 30ppg 7apg 5.0rpg 49%fg 2.2st 3.4to

The New Orleans Hornets realized the lack of support for Paul and even created a video highlighting his phenomenal year. In it, they stated that Paul led the league both in assists, steals and was eighth in scoring – something that has never been done before in the NBA. He became only the second player in NBA history to lead the League in assists and steals for two seasons in a row. This past season, Paul had four games where he had at least 25 points, 15 assists and four steals; the rest of the NBA had one of these games combined. Only one player in NBA history (Michael Ray Richardson) has ever tallied a better stat line than the one Paul did on January 14 with 33 points, 10 rebounds, 11 assists, and seven steals. He reached the 2,500 assist plateau faster than anyone in NBA history other than Oscar Robertson. His six triple-doubles was second in the League. He set the NBA record for games with a steal at 108 straight. And as I mentioned above, this was one of the greatest seasons ever by a point guard in the NBA.

Admittedly, it’s difficult to argue against LeBron, Kobe and Wade being considered the front-runners last season with how fantastic they played and the leadership each exuded. Honestly, they deserve it. However, not having Chris Paul (at the very least) in that discussion was irresponsible and, frankly, still hard to comprehend.

The debate referred to.

Dime: Who’s Better: Chris Paul Or Tony Parker?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134283

Mel_13
09-03-2009, 04:05 PM
121-63 might have taken some of the bloom off the rose.

fevertrees
09-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Kobe Bryant had NO business in the top 3 MVP talks last season.

KSeal
09-03-2009, 04:26 PM
That's what I was going to post. Being the leader of a team that lost by 58 sorta turns people off.

KSeal
09-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I was referring to the Mel_13 post, not the bullshit fever is spewing.

Muser
09-03-2009, 04:31 PM
That was in the Playoffs though, so it has no meaning to the Regular season MVP.

Lars
09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Chris Paul should of been MVP, Hornets are the Kings without him.

Culburn369
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Because he was the hunted and no longer the hunter. It frustrated him no end.

Spursfan092120
09-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Kobe Bryant had NO business in the top 3 MVP talks last season.
http://www.afunnystuff.com/forumpics/Are.you.that.stupid_640.jpg

Ghazi
09-03-2009, 06:34 PM
If the season encompasses the playoffs, then it deserves no attention because he played like shit and was dick whipped by Billups. He had a wonderful STATISTICAL regular season though. :)

fevertrees
09-03-2009, 06:36 PM
How can anyone besides a homer Laker fan say that Kobe had a "better" season than Chris Paul last year?

Culburn369
09-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Mvp Award, eh?

a big f'in raspberry goes rightch here!

JamStone
09-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Chris Paul is a bitchass people don't like.

His play in the regular season definitely warranted more recognition and praise.

Hornets1
09-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Chris Paul is a bitchass people don't like.

His play in the regular season definitely warranted more recognition and praise.

Yeah, you and many ppl on ST think that. Universely, he's seen as a clean cut class act, which he is.
Call me a homer, I don't give a shit; What Paul does for the city of New Orleans is incomparable(except for Lebron in Cleveland).

sonic21
09-03-2009, 07:23 PM
CP3 is not a class act during game. Duncan was pissed at him and told him to GTFO, i've never seen duncan angry toward another player last year.

duncan228
09-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Duncan was pissed at him and told him to GTFO, i've never seen duncan angry toward another player last year.

Duncan said "Calm the fuck down." I wouldn't say he was angry though. It takes more than that for Duncan to actually express anger. :lol

8xPpIgKlBbo

Hornets1
09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
CP3 is not a class act during game. Duncan was pissed at him and told him to GTFO, i've never seen duncan angry toward another player last year.

Why should he be during games. On the court, he's a cut-throat competitor, and wants to win at any costs; Something Spurs fans should understand.

He's the most dominant 6-footer in a while, and he is defended very roughly by some teams(a la Jordan vs. the Bad Boy Pistons). The shit he gives to others is not even near being close to the shit he gets from others. When a person of his size is picking your team apart, you put your size to use work and make it a contact sport. If you were Paul and treated like he is on the court by opponents, you would be a bitch on the court to the other team as well....

Others use their size to punish Paul. People bitch about the cheap shot Paul gave to Hodge in college(which was WRONG!), but I see people bump and elbow Paul all the time when I go to games(when the refs aren't looking). If you were the smallest superstar in the league; opponents will use the size disadvantage everytime( seeing how it is his biggest "weakness"). I'm very surprised a coach hasn't sent a goon in to hurt him yet.

I'm sure many asshole fans in here want to see him get hurt; what does that say about the judges(ppl who call him a bitch)?

sonic21
09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Duncan said "Calm the fuck down." I wouldn't say he was angry though. It takes more than that for Duncan to actually express anger. :lol

8xPpIgKlBbo

thanks 228, imo he did look angry. I like angry Tim :hat

sonic21
09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
hornets1, paul seems like a nice guy off the court, that's not the point. Like Jamestone said he'd get more praise and more recognition if he had another behaviour on the court.

Hornets1
09-03-2009, 07:58 PM
hornets1, paul seems like a nice guy off the court, that's not the point. Like Jamestone said he'd get more praise and more recognition if he had another behaviour on the court.

I agree. But take that tenacity and fire out of him, and he becomes a good PG, not an incredible one.

The reason I used to like KG more than Duncan was KG's intensity and passion. But I then realized that duncan's calm demeanor didn't effect his game. Once a lifetime does a player like that come along......

duncan228
09-03-2009, 08:18 PM
thanks 228, imo he did look angry. I like angry Tim :hat

He had the Duncan glare going on, I guess that looks angry for him. :lol

Angry Duncan is good. When he really does get pissed on the court it usually bodes well for us. :)

exstatic
09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Let me guess: that incredible stat line was accumulated at home. Right? He probably really had 5 rebs and 11 assists, and got an assist (pun intended) from the NoLa scorer.

JamStone
09-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah, you and many ppl on ST think that. Universely, he's seen as a clean cut class act, which he is.
Call me a homer, I don't give a shit; What Paul does for the city of New Orleans is incomparable(except for Lebron in Cleveland).

Actually, I'm a fan of CP3. I like him. But I'm coming from an objective perspective. I think many people thinking he's a bitchass. And I wasn't discrediting his season or his numbers. I was merely suggesting why Chris might not have gotten more recognition last season.

Ghazi
09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
No the Lakers do NOT make the playoffs in the WEST without Kobe. Cmon, Mavs/Hornets/Jazz/Suns are better than the Lakers when Kobe is taken out of the equation. The presence of Kobe is worth about 20-25 wins, and that's the difference between 1st and 9th.

I would agree they'd make the playoffs in the East, but even then it would be as a 5-8 seed and definite 1st round fodder.

Also, Paul is not a class act.

resistanze
09-03-2009, 10:36 PM
If the season encompasses the playoffs, then it deserves no attention because he played like shit and was dick whipped by Billups. He had a wonderful STATISTICAL regular season though. :)
Nice logic there...see 2007.

Hornets1
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Let me guess: that incredible stat line was accumulated at home. Right? He probably really had 5 rebs and 11 assists, and got an assist (pun intended) from the NoLa scorer.

Dude, keep your ignorant homerism away from here. Ghazi hates Paul, but his post contain a shit load more "content" then your bullshit.

A smart, proud, true spurs fan should look down at a dumbass like you.

BTW, you post count doesn't mean jack shit

Amaso
09-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Chris Paul played just as good as in 2007-2008, he didn't get as much attention because his team didn't do as well. It's pretty simple.

23LeBronJames23
09-04-2009, 12:14 AM
No the Lakers do NOT make the playoffs in the WEST without Kobe. Cmon, Mavs/Hornets/Jazz/Suns are better than the Lakers when Kobe is taken out of the equation. The presence of Kobe is worth about 20-25 wins, and that's the difference between 1st and 9th.

I would agree they'd make the playoffs in the East, but even then it would be as a 5-8 seed and definite 1st round fodder.

Also, Paul is not a class act.

no love for blazers?

exstatic
09-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Dude, keep your ignorant homerism away from here. Ghazi hates Paul, but his post contain a shit load more "content" then your bullshit.

A smart, proud, true spurs fan should look down at a dumbass like you.

BTW, you post count doesn't mean jack shit

So, then, yes, it was a home game?

Ghazi
09-04-2009, 12:58 AM
no love for blazers?

I was referring to the 6-9 teams in the West last year.

Take Kobe out and your core is Gasol/Odom/Bynum (not bad, but becomes very ordinary), with an average bench, mediocre PG play, lack of playmakers (referring to last year)... people act like Kobe's team is stacked, but part of the reason its "stacked" is his greatness in itself.

manufan10
09-04-2009, 11:14 AM

8xPpIgKlBbo

Did Chris Paul say "I'm sorry," at the end, or was that just me being a poor lip reader?

spursfan09
09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
He had the Duncan glare going on, I guess that looks angry for him. :lol

Angry Duncan is good. When he really does get pissed on the court it usually bodes well for us. :)

Great! so what can we do to piss him off this year?

z0sa
09-04-2009, 11:45 AM

I think he's plenty pissed off .

BRHornet45
09-04-2009, 11:46 AM

son I would recommend making fun of the stretch marks on his shoulders. that should do it .

Sdayi135
09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
How can anyone besides a homer Laker fan say that Kobe had a "better" season than Chris Paul last year?

So you would rather have a PG who lead a team being beatdown 121-63 over the Finals MVP last year?

redzero
09-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice logic there...see 2007.

Logic, Ghazi's only weakness.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-04-2009, 06:38 PM
So you would rather have a PG who lead a team being beatdown 121-63 over the Finals MVP last year?

When that "finals MVP" woudn't have even been able to lead that team that lost big to the playoffs, give me the player who could at least get them that far.