PDA

View Full Version : Roy’s rested, ready to have a big year

tlongII
09-03-2009, 06:13 PM
http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=125192382775874700

http://portlandtribune.com/news_graphics/125192575441604000.jpg
Blazers’ star wants redemption for first-round playoff loss

The start of training camp for the Trail Blazers is – gulp – Sept. 29, only a few weeks away.

One sort of significant member of the team says he is rested and ready.

“Can’t wait to get going,” Brandon Roy says.

You might remember Roy from his first three seasons in Portland. NBA Rookie of the Year in 2006-07. NBA All-Star the past two seasons. Recently signed a maximum contract that calls for him to make something in the neighborhood of – double gulp – $77 million to $83 million for five seasons.

Now a full-time Portland resident, Roy recently played in some four-on-four pickup games at the Blazers’ training facility with, among others, Martell Webster, Greg Oden, Steve Blake, Jerryd Bayless and Ime Udoka.

Roy passed on a chance to work out with the U.S. national team at Las Vegas in July to rest his body. Nothing against his country – Roy’s priority is elsewhere.

“This summer was an important one for me to take some time to get healthy,” he says. “As much as I would love to play for the USA, I want to make sure I’m healthy to start the season for the Trail Blazers, for the fans, for management and for my teammates. I owe it to them, that I’m the best I can be.

“Maybe in the future, it’ll work out so I can play for the national team or the Olympic team, but I haven’t given them an answer, and I don’t want them to hold that spot for me. My first obligation is to the Blazers.”

A year ago at this time, Roy was coming off knee surgery. While he had a splendid 2008-09 campaign, averaging 22.6 points, 5.1 assists and 4.7 rebounds, he never felt 100 percent physically.

Now, he says he does.

“My body feels good,” he says. “It’s the best it’s felt coming into a (NBA) season. I’m really excited.”

Roy did lots of biking and swimming this summer, little running and played zero basketball, all intended to take away from the pounding on his joints.

“Once the season starts, the adrenaline kicks in and I don’t think about the body anymore,” says Roy, who turned 25 in July. “Then it’s, ‘Give me some ice, and when’s the next game?’ ”

Parents’ new home
It’s been a summer of transition for Roy, his fiancée Tiana Bardwell and their two young children, Brandon Jr. and Mariah. Brandon and Tiana decided to make their full-time home in Portland and, by mid-August, had made the move from their home in Seattle to a place in Tualatin near Interstate 205, a 10-minute drive from the practice facility.

“The biggest reason is, I like to be close to our trainers and doctors during the offseason, to continue to strengthen my body and make sure I can have a longer career,” he says. “The Trail Blazers have invested a lot in me, and I want to make the most of that investment.

“Plus, it’s more peaceful, more relaxing for me down here. Back home (in Seattle), I have so many friends and family, sometimes I’ll skip a day’s workout to hang out with them. It’s better for the family not be moving back and forth, but to have one base. I can be more disciplined in Portland and, at the same time, give Tiana and my kids the time they need for us to be together.”

The house in Maple Valley, southeast of Seattle, remains in the family. Brandon gave it to his parents, Edward and Gina, who had been renting their house.

“They’re really excited about that,” Brandon says. “When I first got to the league, I bought a house in Seattle. They didn’t want to me to buy them a house, didn’t want to me to feel the pressure of taking care of them. I always thought to myself, ‘If I make it to that second contract, I want to buy them a home.’ ”

After signing his contract in August, Roy approached his parents. “I said, ‘Mom and Dad, we’re going to move to Portland. Would you want my house, or would you like me to buy you another house?’ ” Roy says. “And they said, ‘We love your home.’ So they’re living there now. It made me feel good to be able to do that.”

The enormity of the new contract has sunk in. But it hasn’t changed him, Roy insists.

“A lot of people ask how it feels,” he says. “I mean, I’m thrilled. I would never deny that. But money has never defined me as a person. It has motivated me, because it helps me take of my family. I have a deep bank account now. But it hasn’t changed much in my life.

“My motivation for wanting to be the best is the same. I’m going to be in the gym, trying to work as hard as the 15th guy on the roster. I’m still the same Brandon Roy. I want to be the best player I can be and the best person I can be.”

Roy pauses for a few seconds, then continues.

“When you come into money, you get placed under a microscope,” he says. “People wonder, ‘Has he changed?’ My mom said, ‘Just continue to be yourself.’

“The main thing is, I still want to be the best. I want to win a championship. I want Portland to win a championship. That drives me to this day.”

Roy hasn’t spoken with point guard Andre Miller, Portland’s major free-agent acquisition of the summer.

“He’s going to come in around Sept. 14 or 15 and start working out,” Roy says. “He’ll fit in great. He’s something we’ve been missing a little bit – that veteran player who has been in playoff situations and can help lead guys. Not only can he make me a better player, but he can also make our big men better.

“I’m excited to see him and (Steve) Blake tag-team it at point guard. Steve has done a terrific job the past two years, and he’ll continue to bring what he brings, but now he doesn’t have to do it for long minutes. It’s only going to make us a better team.”

Get back to playoffs
The Blazers’ other major news item of the summer – coach Nate McMillan’s contract extension through the 2010-11 season – was welcome to the team’s captain.

“I’m thrilled about that,” Roy says. “From the moment I came in with Coach Nate, he has been nothing but great for me. A lot of young guys have their highs and lows when they come into the league. Mine have been limited because of my relationship with the coach.

“I don’t know if it’s because of the Seattle connection, but I’ve always had a feel for what he wants. It goes both ways. During my rookie year he said, ‘You have a lot of pressure, but you’re not out there alone.’ We’re comfortable with each other, we trust each other, there’s nothing we can’t say to each other. I know I didn’t want to change coaches. We have a good thing going.”

The still-young Blazers have every key player back from a team that won 54 games last season, plus Miller. Many fans think this could be the year they challenge the Los Angeles Lakers. Roy isn’t making any rash predictions.

“The best way to put it is, you have seven teams in the West chasing the Lakers, and we’re one of them,” he says. “The conference is brutal. It’s not going to be about how we look on paper, or about us talking about how good we are.

“Our goal is to get better, get back to the playoffs and do what we can to redeem ourselves for losing in the first round last season.”

Spursfan092120
09-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Oden sucks.

ginobili's bald spot
09-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh no he's "rested". We're all screwed now.

angelbelow
09-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Good, i might take him in the first round this year. Or should i draft durant guys? (assuming my draft position is 6th)

21_Blessings
09-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Have fun losing to the Lakers in the playoffs. That's if Portland can actually advance out of the 1st round this time.

Bynum >> Oden

DPG21920
09-03-2009, 08:03 PM
You get a lot of rest when you have no chance at winning. You can sleep easy knowing there will be a parade for first round loses.

Hornets1
09-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Good, i might take him in the first round this year. Or should i draft durant guys? (assuming my draft position is 6th)

Very good question.
Durant is a better scorer, while Roy's game is more rounded off. I think you win either way.
If you pick 6th, you won't get Lebron, Wade, Paul, or Kobe. I'd say pick Roy and Try to get an Arenas or Kevin Martin to solidify your points in round 2. But maybe Dirk if he's still there....

DPG21920
09-03-2009, 08:30 PM
You easily take Durant son, if you are playing H2H standard cats.

iggypop123
09-03-2009, 09:09 PM
another parade for the first round?

tomtom
09-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Nice read, Roy's definitely a down to earth guy, glad the days of the jail blazers are over

Culburn369
09-03-2009, 11:02 PM
...though he did get a little cranky before he got paid...kinda like e v e r y b o d y else.

KSeal
09-04-2009, 12:27 AM
They should give tlong a sticky thread he can put all these Blazers columns in that nobody else gives two shits about.

DPG21920
09-04-2009, 11:56 AM
SpursTalk does not give into terrorist demands! ^^^

clambake
09-04-2009, 12:14 PM
he'd better be rested. he's gonna have to spend the whole year carrying that old man.

hater
09-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Roy is good and cool but I'd pick at least 10 other guards ahead of him

PDXSpursFan
09-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Man I misread that and thought it said arested. I wondered what he did.

+1 :lol

tlongII
09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Blazers > Lakers

Hornets1
09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
This thread is kinda pointless. Most of the league's elite are rested as well seeing as they didn't have to play any international ball(Kobe, Dwill, Bosh, Paul, Wade,Howard, Lebron, Melo, etc).

With that said, Roy is a standup guy, a badass player and I hope he continues to improve. I'd love to see him on the national team next summer along with the 8 players listed above. My other 3 picks would be Griffin, Rose, and Durant.

picc84
09-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Its good Roy is rested this year, as opposed to every other year he's been in the nba. Those deep playoff runs and international games have been taking a huge toll on him.

DPG21920
09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Blazers are a fun team, but Tlong makes it impossible to like them. He individually makes the parade throwing fan base of the Blazers worse than the Laker's fan base collectively.

nkdlunch
09-04-2009, 12:44 PM
the last 2 posts ^

right on point :tu

Hornets1
09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Its good Roy is rested this year, as opposed to every other year he's been in the nba. Those deep playoff runs and international games have been taking a huge toll on him.

:lolWell said! :toast

DPG21920
09-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Manu Ginobili T-Mac

23LeBronJames23
09-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Feel good for Roy hope this postseason Blazers will go farther.

Man i cant for NBA season to start......

JordanL
09-05-2009, 04:33 AM
You easily take Durant son, if you are playing H2H standard cats.

Unless you're needing to round out several other cats, or it's a standard + TOV league.

DPG21920
09-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I always tank turnovers. The only thing Roy gives you better is assists and to's. Roy is very average in assists, you can make that up elsewhere.

Durant is a rare guy that is going to give you close to 2 3PT's, 1 STL and 1 BLK.

Sdayi135
09-05-2009, 08:11 PM
t-mac

fail

carrao45
09-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Blazers > Lakers

If there was a world where one team having a worse first option, worse second option, worse sixth man, worse coach, worse offense, worse defense, and less experience than another team meant they were better, and we lived on that world, then yes, The Blazers would be better than the Lakers

DPG21920
09-06-2009, 01:43 PM
fail

If you are not talking about injuries(which was said), then T-Mac > Roy.

Sissiborgo
09-07-2009, 07:18 PM
He's going too be huge next season...