PDA

View Full Version : The playoff player limits suck period

Rummpd
04-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Why should teams get hurt because of astute developing and storing depth in today's salary cap situation?

Why should not coaches get to change players game by game or at least series by series = would make it more exciting and fair if a key player goest down? Happpens all the time in the NFL and that league ain't doing to bad. IMO if player on team and IR before 5 games of playoffs make him eligible down the road.

Why not, isn't the game about teams (oh I forgot it is not) and conceivably more players would get a few minutes of glory?

Why take the risk of players playing on an injury in playoffs when a substitution for game might prevent further injury?

Spurs have 14 good to great players with 7 or so potentially on the bubble to make roster. What a tough situation this is shaping up to be?

The reality: Darn shame that a cruel decision point is coming for some combination of Robinson, Brown, Beno, Marks, Wilks, Massenburg, and, Nazr. All have contributed something, some more than others, but all have the potential to be keys in the playoffs.

List assuming Brown comes back that I would go with:

Starters
Rasho (if he can go)
Duncan
Bowen
Parker
Manu

Must have
Barry
Horry

Should have

Brown (although case can be made that right now, Robinson might bring as much to table)
Beno??
Nazr, showed exactly why for all you naysayers last night, put him with TD and watch out.
Massenburg
Marks???

Sorry Wilks and Robinson, darn shame. Maybe you make the call for Robinson over Marks, won't bother me but the system does (or Wilks over Beno right now same story.) Brown can't go, definetely go with Robinson.

Dex
04-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Agreed. They make 15 guys work together through an 82-game season, then at the end of all that hustle and bustle, you have to choose three to leave behind.

Sounds kind of unfair to the guys who worked just as hard to get that team into the playoffs in the first place.

SLOVENIAN 8
04-11-2005, 11:17 AM
That rull really sux! :pctoss

ducks
04-11-2005, 11:19 AM
I suggested this topic for a battle blog

boutons
04-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Yep, choosing the playoff roster can really be a Sophie's Choice.

Do the 3 non-playoff players still get to sit behind and travel with the team?

bigzak25
04-11-2005, 11:25 AM
for all the energy marks brings, he isn't going to get any minutes vs. stoudemire, wallace or shaq....love they guy and the hustle, but he won't get any respect in the playoffs...

IF Brown is out, it's GlenRob, Mass, Wilks, and Naz all making the roster.

But IF Dev is responding to treatment, he MUST be on the playoff roster as he will be valuable in the conf finals and beyond.

In that case, i flip a coin with Naz and Mass....but for all of mass's strength, he can't get up. so all he will be good for is keeping shaq's big butt outa the paint for a few minutes....GRob and Naz can do that. i look forward to seeing how this all plays out...Good Luck Pop.

travis2
04-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Yep, choosing the playoff roster can really be a Sophie's Choice.

Do the 3 non-playoff players still get to sit behind and travel with the team?

Yes.

spurster
04-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Probably the reasoning is that the 3 extra players are optional. I would bet that not all teams fill their IR list, maybe not even most.

spurster
04-11-2005, 11:51 AM
More on this. Taking data from usatoday.com

Boston, Golden State, and Pheonix have 0 (zero) players on IR!

Seattle and New Orleans have 1 player on IR.

With 2 players on IR: Chicago, Detroit, Houston, LA Clippers, MIlwaukee, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Portland, Sacramento.

Rummpd
04-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Take the lead Ducks!