PDA

View Full Version : Rambis OK With How Rubio Saga Turned Out

duncan228
09-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Rambis OK With How Rubio Saga Turned Out (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-rambisokwithhowrubio&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Ultimately, the guy who is most affected by the Ricky Rubio saga in Minnesota is not general manager David Kahn, the man who drafted Rubio. It’s not owner Glen Taylor, who is doing his darnedest to win fans back to the Target Center. It’s not even Rubio himself.

Nope, the guy most affected by Rubio’s decision to remain in Spain for two years is new coach Kurt Rambis, because it will be wins and losses that determine Rambis’ fate with the team and as a head coach in the NBA. Not having the No. 5 pick in the draft on hand for two years is certainly not going to help the Timberwolves win games.

Speaking after the Rubio-to-the-NBA deal fell apart, Kahn said that it was Rambis who told him that if he made a list of reasons for Rubio to come and reasons for Rubio to stay in Spain, the list would be about even on each side. That seemed interesting, because, again, Rambis seems to have the most to lose by Rubio not being in Minnesota.

So I asked Rambis about it. “Yes, I told David that,” Rambis said. “It was as the whole situation, whether he would be in the NBA or not, was coming to a head. It came out of talking with my staff. We can paint a scenario that is just as positive with him being here as with him not being here.

“Obviously, if he was here, he would have the advantage of learning the league, learning the players on his team and the players he is playing against. Getting accustomed to the NBA lifestyle, dealing with the travel and the practices. It would be good to get that adjustment period out of the way as soon as possible. Those are the positives of him being here.

“But if you look at the things he needs, he can do them just as well in Spain. He needs a consistent outside shot. He needs to get bigger and stronger. He obviously felt he wasn’t quite mature enough, so he can get more mature, he can grow as a person and a player in Spain, away from all the other pressures that the NBA would bring to bear on him. He can improve those things in a little bit of a less-pressured atmosphere.”

The reaction I’ve gotten from Timberwolves fans on the Rubio situation is one of frustration and annoyance. That’s understandable. But the guy who should be the most ticked off, the coach, seems content with the way things turned out.

Sure, Rambis may be simply taking the politically correct track here, but keep in mind, he already has the challenge of teaching one rookie point guard, Jonny Flynn, and guiding him through what’s likely to be a season of ups and downs. Imagine having Rubio on hand, too.

“Two rookie point guards,” Rambis said, “might be twice as difficult.”

jack sommerset
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Whats he suppose to say?

Bob Lanier
09-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Of course he's okay. He's the general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves. That's the most secure job in the world other than a tenured full professor.

PGDynasty24
09-04-2009, 07:57 PM
rambis is the head coach...

Bob Lanier
09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Who cares?

Ditty
09-04-2009, 11:47 PM
I give rambis until the all star break