PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Home Phone service: Any alternates to ATT?

Please_dont_ban_me
09-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I need a landline, no digital service.

I called ATT and b/c we already have phone service it will cost about $150 to put in a jack to split it or whatever into a second line. So I hopped on Google and tried finding some competition...and there is none that I could find.

Do any of you guys have a company other than ATT? I need a simple inbound only line for $10-$20 a month.

Nbadan
09-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Try magic jack

Bender
09-04-2009, 09:39 PM
dang, that's expensive. Last time I got ATT to do that for me it was around $80.

METALMiKE
09-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Grande is dirt cheap.

Spursfan092120
09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Have you tried vonage?

www.vonage.com

PM5K
09-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Your posting is a little confusing. The 150 is a one time fee right? You're saying you only want to pay 10-20 a month for the service, how much is the service with AT&T? It doesn't sound like you need it cheaper, but rather you need someone that will install the second line for less than 150.00?

Please_dont_ban_me
09-05-2009, 03:15 AM
Your posting is a little confusing. The 150 is a one time fee right? You're saying you only want to pay 10-20 a month for the service, how much is the service with AT&T? It doesn't sound like you need it cheaper, but rather you need someone that will install the second line for less than 150.00?

That's exactly what I meant. ATT is $12 a month, that's not the problem. But they want $160 to install the damn jack...and ya it 's a one time fee but still that's a lot.

To the magic jack and vonage suggestions...those aren't land lines. They're digital. And I need a landline for this, it's a business line.

PM5K
09-05-2009, 03:21 AM
That's exactly what I meant. ATT is $12 a month, that's not the problem. But they want $160 to install the damn jack...and ya it 's a one time fee but still that's a lot.

To the magic jack and vonage suggestions...those aren't land lines. They're digital. And I need a landline for this, it's a business line.

Maybe you can find out what all that install entails, and get the very basic installation necessary. Running a second line isn't very complicated. If the lines in your house have four wires it's a simple matter of connecting the other two wires to the jack (Yellow and Black I believe).

Heath Ledger
09-05-2009, 04:09 AM
+1 on the magic jack it works great and it's
cheap 39 per year

METALMiKE
09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
If you don't mind me asking, why do you specifically need a landline service?

I'm just asking because for my job I need landline service for my house, and Grande seems to be the cheapest.But then again I want to go with AT&T.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Look in the phone book. You can get an independent phone installer to come install the second jack. It should cost about $40-$50.

Please_dont_ban_me
09-05-2009, 07:13 PM
If you don't mind me asking, why do you specifically need a landline service?

I'm just asking because for my job I need landline service for my house, and Grande seems to be the cheapest.But then again I want to go with AT&T.

I need it for business as well. I'm working with a company and will be working out of my house pretty soon, so I need a dedicated inbound only line.

I hear Grande is cheaper...and tbh phone service is phone service, I don't think it matters if it's grande or ATT...whichever is cheaper.

Please_dont_ban_me
09-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Look in the phone book. You can get an independent phone installer to come install the second jack. It should cost about $40-$50.

Good idea. In fact someone PM'd me offering that exact service. I'll look into that, thanks.