PDA

View Full Version : TSU's "Ocean of Soul"

DMX7
09-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Texas Southern University's "Ocean of Soul" Marching Band; is that not the best name of a college marching band you've ever heard?

I was watching the PV A&M vs. Texas Southern game on ESPNU while I was waiting for the Washington vs. LSU 2nd half to start, so that's how I heard about it.

redraiderinfiji
09-06-2009, 03:48 AM
i dont know about the name....

but the best marching band in the land, unfortunately, comes from college station

lebomb
09-06-2009, 09:21 AM

but the best marching band in the land, unfortunately, comes from college station

I guess you have never seen Florida A&Ms marching band. College stations band if fine, if you like robots. :rolleyes

TekaTek is #1!!!!!

robino2001
09-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Head to San Marcos in 3 weeks to catch them live. We saw them last year vs Texas St and it was awesome... the dance team is missing their portable poles, but it was a hell of a show.

Fpoonsie
09-06-2009, 11:08 AM

Whoop! :tu

DMX7
09-06-2009, 01:37 PM

No way. You've clearly never heard any of the marching bands from the traditionally black colleges. In fact, Prairie View A&M's marching band filled in for Miami's last year in its game vs. Texas A&M at College station, and the fans there (for Texas A&M) went wild for the Praire View band.

Fpoonsie
09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
No way. You've clearly never heard any of the marching bands from the traditionally black colleges. In fact, Prairie View A&M's marching band filled in for Miami last year in its game vs. Texas A&M at College station, and the fans there (for Texas A&M) went wild for the Praire View band.

The "Drumline" and Nick Cannon fans of the world have NO idea what goes into the "Fightin' Texas Aggie Band"'s routine. The timing and precision have to be flawless...and they always are. The discipline it takes is excruciatingly intense.

I remember the game you're referring to. While the TAMU faithful were entertained, the reaction was also due to the fact that PV A&M is right up the road, and this was a big moment for them to perform on national TV. It's not because Ags have gotten "tired" of our own.

DMX7
09-06-2009, 02:05 PM
The "Drumline" and Nick Cannon fans of the world have NO idea what goes into the "Fightin' Texas Aggie Band"'s routine. The timing and precision have to be flawless...and they always are. The discipline it takes is excruciatingly intense.

I remember the game you're referring to. While the TAMU faithful were entertained, the reaction was also due to the fact that PV A&M is right up the road, and this was a big moment for them to perform on national TV. It's not because Ags have gotten "tired" of our own.

I didn't say the Fight'n Farmers were "tired" of their own. I'm saying there are other bands out there that are great, and the "timing and precision" of their execution are far from the only ingredients that make them great.

Fpoonsie
09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
I didn't say the Fight'n Farmers were "tired" of their own. I'm saying there are other bands out there that are great, and the "timing and precision" of their execution are far from the only ingredients that make them great.

I may have wrongly assumed what you were implying, if anything. If so, I apologize. The casual fan is just too quick to label our marching band as "boring" after seeing movies like "Drumline" or watching college football at 11:00 pm on BET.

I agree w/ you, though, that a lot of those bands are great...very talented groups out there.

chrisattsu
09-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Head to San Marcos in 3 weeks to catch them live. We saw them last year vs Texas St and it was awesome... the dance team is missing their portable poles, but it was a hell of a show.

I watched that game last year. TxSouthern's band was LOUD and enjoyable to watch. However, post game, the band nerds and music snobs complained about how undisciplined and out of tune they were.

I will be there again this year. If anyone is interested in tailgating before the game, the Bobcatfans.com is always open to visiting fans.

lebomb
09-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I watched that game last year. TxSouthern's band was LOUD and enjoyable to watch. However, post game, the band nerds and music snobs complained about how undisciplined and out of tune they were.

I agree with them being less polished, but unless the bands are at competition...........the TX southerns and FLA A&M bands are much more fun to watch live.

tlongII
09-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Band smack. I've seen everything now...