PDA

View Full Version : Back home after foot surgery

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Well, I walked in to the emergency room last Friday and found out I have diabetes and bone infection and thus had my right big toe amputated. I just got home Friday night.
I should back on my feet in a few weeks. Lifestyle change to say the least. But it is all for the best. The fam has been great and supportive. No more beer for the chalupa but I can still have good time.
I'll be a lean, mean, fighting machine in no time.
I still have a line in my arm for antibiotics which I shoot up every 12 hrs.
Glad to be back.

Kori Ellis
09-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Wow, Joe. I know that must have been horrible, but thank goodness it was just your toe.

Good luck with managing your diabetes. I'm sure Mrs Chalupa and the girls are taking good care of you.

Let us know if you need anything.

-Kori

Slomo
09-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Wow!

Sorry about the toe Joe. I guess it could have been a lot worse (although that's kinda of a lame consolation).

But good news about the lean mean fighting machine :tu

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks. I still haven't been able to look at my foot. Home care came by yesterday to change dressing but I still couldn't look. Wife said doesn't look bad though. I'll be on crutches for few weeks then a boot cast then a special shoe. I also now need to test sugar level few times a day.

Rogue
09-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Wow, Joe. I know that must have been horrible, but thank goodness it was just your toe.

Good luck with managing your diabetes. I'm sure Mrs Chalupa and the girls are taking good care of you.

Let us know if you need anything.

-timvp

Only timvp has such a naive yet lovely sense of humor, which is even inimitable for his wife. :lol The right big toe is quite an important role for the works of a foot, especially for the functions of lunging and jumping. Joe is insured anyways, that's over enough to dilute and dismiss the grief of losing a toe IMHO, at least he's less unlucky than grandmas.

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Only timvp has such a naive yet lovely sense of humor, which is even inimitable for his wife. :lol The right big toe is quite an important role for the works of a foot, especially for the functions of lunging and jumping. Joe is insured anyways, that's over enough to dilute and dismiss the grief of losing a toe IMHO, at least he's less unlucky than grandmas.

My dunking days are over. :lol I just hope my bowling scores don't suffer too much. But yes, the big toe is a very important appendage.

clambake
09-06-2009, 09:46 AM
hang in there, joe. hang nine, right?

Last Comic Standing
09-06-2009, 10:12 AM
No more Sergeant Hulka? :depressed

WI9vlbr7xNU

Vinnie_Johnson
09-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Good luck Joe hang in there.

Last Comic Standing
09-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Will you now start a new career as a toe truck driver?

balli
09-06-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm sorry you lost you toe, but I'm glad it wasn't anything more than that. Be healthy Joe.

tlongII
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hear that Joe. Stay healthy bro!

Summers
09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Glad you're okay! Take care. :)

marini martini
09-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Hope you feel better soon Joe.:tu

duncan228
09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Glad you're okay. Hope your recovery is smooth.

mouse
09-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Did they let you keep the toe, that would make a very cool key chain. Can you get SSI?

DoubtingThomas
09-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Joe, a lot of people die from this disease that can be easily cured. You have to say no to those starches and sugars. I recommend this book for you. Eat healthy, and stay positive.

http://healthandlight.com/TheMasterCleanse.pdf
http://therawfoodsite.com/mastercleanse.htm

Diabetes is curable? I thought there was no cure.

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Did they let you keep the toe, that would make a very cool key chain. Can you get SSI?

What is SSI?

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Joe, a lot of people die from this disease that can be easily cured. You have to say no to those starches and sugars. I recommend this book for you. Eat healthy, and stay positive.

http://healthandlight.com/TheMasterCleanse.pdf
http://therawfoodsite.com/mastercleanse.htm

Yes, I'm type II. Thanks for the info!!

Das Texan
09-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Get well soon Joe!

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Diabetes is a chronic (lifelong) disease marked by high levels of sugar in the blood. Most physicians prescribe insulin to their patients which helps to control the disease, but never cures, or get rid of it. There are some holistic approaches to curing diabetes, along with many other sicknesses that we bring upon ourselves. Diabetes, much like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, headaches, and many others can be easily prevented, or cured.

I'm on oral insulin right now but Dr says only temporary due to infection. Should be able to control with proper eating.

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Hey mouse...you need any flip flops?

exstatic
09-06-2009, 01:55 PM

:lmao Guess you won't be using at least one of them anymore. Be well, Chalupa. Hopefully, this doesn't rule out Beijing.

Shelly
09-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Diabetes is a chronic (lifelong) disease marked by high levels of sugar in the blood. Most physicians prescribe insulin to their patients which helps to control the disease, but never cures, or get rid of it. There are some holistic approaches to curing diabetes, along with many other sicknesses that we bring upon ourselves. Diabetes, much like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, headaches, and many others can be easily prevented, or cured.

Not if you're Type 1. You'll always be on insulin.

LuvBones
09-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Losing your big toe is going to give you that much more character. ;) I hope you're feeling better.

koriwhat
09-06-2009, 04:17 PM
was your big toe numb at all? about a month ago my big toe went numb on my left foot followed by my big toe on my right 3-4 days later. i have yet to consult a doctor and diabetes runs in my family too. fuck!

balli
09-06-2009, 04:31 PM
was your big toe numb at all? about a month ago my big toe went numb on my left foot followed by my big toe on my right 3-4 days later. i have yet to consult a doctor and diabetes runs in my family too. fuck!

Not to be a hypochondriac on your behalf, but you should go to a doc ASAP. Diabetic infection is what killed the owner of the Jazz. They started by chopping off one of his feet, then his legs, but they couldn't stop that shit. Diabetes might be fairly easy to treat, but leaving it untreated is protracted suicide.

koriwhat
09-06-2009, 04:39 PM
^ yeah since reading chalupas orginial post i've been sitting here pretty damn depressed. i sort of put my issue out of my mind to ease my worries but now it's hitting me 10 fold after reading this thread.

having no insurance is one reason i haven't gone to the doctor. i guess i really do need to suck it up and go get a check up already.

baseline bum
09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Wow, that sucks, but I'm glad to hear only a toe was needed to get rid of the infection. What prompted the trip? Did you feel pain in your big toe or something? What should all of us be on the lookout for?

Shelly
09-06-2009, 05:11 PM
This is true with Type 1, depending on how bad it has gotten. There is a procedure called Pancreatic Islet Transplantation that has worked for some patients, and they've been able to stop using insulin. The most important thing Joe can do for right now is eat healthy and get some exercise.

Not sure what you mean by depending 'how bad it's gotten'. A type 1 person will have to take insulin. If I read correctly, PIT is still in the experimental stage and not FDA approved yet? I also read that after a few years, some people had to go back on insulin. Anyway, I hope they find a cure. My 17 year old niece was diagnosed at 12 and is on the insulin pump and it sucks.

My PSA of the day--people, if you're diabetic, PLEASE check your feet!! My husband specializes in the diabetic foot and is currently involved in a foot ulcer study that I'm helping him with (not by choice! :lol). Believe me, I've seen some N.A.S.T.Y ulcers, even on some partial amputations. If your doctor tells you to wear special shoes and/or a boot, wear it! All too often, people's ulcers will start healing and they stop wearing the boot and the ulcer gets worse again. Neuropathy is very common and if ignored, it's possible to lose more than your toe or foot.

Shelly
09-06-2009, 05:12 PM
koriwhat, I know you don't have insurance, but it's not something you can ignore. Please get checked out.

exstatic
09-06-2009, 05:36 PM
koriwhat, I know you don't have insurance, but it's not something you can ignore. Please get checked out.

+1 Find a doctor and ask them their cash price for a basic physical. Get the price for some basic lab blood work, lipids and glucose. My guess is that it will cost maybe $350 walk out price. Get it done twice a year, especially with your family history, Koriwhat.

boutons_deux
09-06-2009, 05:47 PM
"my big toe went numb on my left foot followed by my big toe on my right 3-4 days later"

could be peripheral neuropathy, a common symptom of diabetes.

Last Comic Standing
09-06-2009, 06:54 PM
about a month ago my big toe went numb on my left foot!

That's because your foot was up mouse's ass all day! :tu

Hey Joe will you now be working for .......................

http://harlemglobetrotters.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/Corporate%20Offers%20Page/IHOP%20Logo%20Blue_SM.jpg

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Yeah, it was numb and cold. You should get it checked out

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
^ yeah since reading chalupas orginial post i've been sitting here pretty damn depressed. i sort of put my issue out of my mind to ease my worries but now it's hitting me 10 fold after reading this thread.

having no insurance is one reason i haven't gone to the doctor. i guess i really do need to suck it up and go get a check up already.

I was not even asked about insurance until I was already in a room getting diagnosed. I walked in at 5:45pm and was in a room by 6pm. Not once did they ask about payment or insurance.
NE Methodist.

JoeChalupa
09-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Wow, that sucks, but I'm glad to hear only a toe was needed to get rid of the infection. What prompted the trip? Did you feel pain in your big toe or something? What should all of us be on the lookout for?

By the time I actually felt pain the infection was bad. I had lost some feeling and it was cold. I knew it was bad going in though. I waited too long.

baseline bum
09-06-2009, 09:39 PM
By the time I actually felt pain the infection was bad. I had lost some feeling and it was cold. I knew it was bad going in though. I waited too long.

Thanks for the info. Good luck beating this shit, Joe. :toast

mouse
09-07-2009, 12:00 AM

Are they the John Kerry ones or the Manu's?

Where was diabetes in 1950? face it! It's all the preservatives and artificial crap we eat today.

koriwhat
09-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah, it was numb and cold. You should get it checked out

my toes are numb but don't feel cold. no noticeable difference in color so i suppose there's still circulation. i can still feel stuff but it does feel numb as hell and only on the tips of my big toes. it's freakin' me out now. damn...

i'm filling the carelink forms out now and going to go to the hospital tomorrow on my damn bday. god i hope i am not diagnosed with diabetes especially on my bday. fuck!

exstatic
09-07-2009, 12:29 AM
my toes are numb but don't feel cold. no noticeable difference in color so i suppose there's still circulation. i can still feel stuff but it does feel numb as hell and only on the tips of my big toes. it's freakin' me out now. damn...

i'm filling the carelink forms out now and going to go to the hospital tomorrow on my damn bday. god i hope i am not diagnosed with diabetes especially on my bday. fuck!

Knowing is better than not knowing. Ostrich behavior isn't a strategy. Glad you're getting seen.

It's better that you get a gentle tap on the shoulder like this. There's a guy at my job who's lost a leg below the knee (good, because he can still get around well), but he's on dialysis (bad, because his kidneys have essentially shut down). He's probably late 40s/early 50s, and I'd be shocked if he lived another 10 years. With his level of diabetes degradation, blindness is on the table.

When you ignore symptoms or are diagnosed and don't follow the instructions, you are shaving years and quality of life off of your body.

baseline bum
09-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Knowing is better than not knowing. Ostrich behavior isn't a strategy. Glad you're getting seen.

It's better that you get a gentle tap on the shoulder like this. There's a guy at my job who's lost a leg below the knee (good, because he can still get around well), but he's on dialysis (bad, because his kidneys have essentially shut down). He's probably late 40s/early 50s, and I'd be shocked if he lived another 10 years. With his level of diabetes degradation, blindness is on the table.

When you ignore symptoms or are diagnosed and don't follow the instructions, you are shaving years and quality of life off of your body.

Yeah, you don't want that. I just lost an uncle to a sudden heart attack, caused I'm sure in no small part by his diabetes and resulting kidney failure. He was in his early 50s. Get that shit taken care of and don't let it get that far.

mouse
09-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Diabetes, who has time for a cure? we need to spend another 12 Billion dollars to go to find whats on Mars!................

the International Space Station was more than 500% over budget and is still incomplete after twenty years. The actual cost of the Shuttle moving resources into space was underestimated by a factor of twenty. Based on current estimates of the total cost of going to Mars ($170 billion) the true cost could easily mount to $1 trillion.

I'm sure all the dead Americans and people without legs and toes don't mind as long as they get to enjoy the photos of the red planet.

JudynTX
09-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Whoa Joe, that's scary. I'm happy to hear you are on the road to recovery. :)

mouse
09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
There should be a small country where chemicals preservatives and flavor substitutes are not present. All food is grown on the spot and sun screen is mandatory. And after 20 years see how the people are doing. Find out who got Cancer and from where, pin point the source. That is a project worth spending 12 billion on.

boutons_deux
09-07-2009, 12:43 PM
"who has time for a cure"

The intelligent question is:

"WGAF for (diabetes) prevention?"
Adult-onset Type II diabetes is almost exclusively a lifestyle disease, aka bad diet (high-sugars, high carbs, overweight, obese) and no exercise. A self-inflicted disease.

Joe should have been told that his disease is not only manageable, but also mostly curable, if he changes his life-style, becomes lean and fit, hits the cardio and resistance training hard, re-sensitizing his body to insulin, cuts out the processed foods, refined sugars, sweeteners, high-calorie-density cheap crap on hand everywhere, aka S.A.D., Standard American Diet.

Paleolithic or Mediterranean diets are recommended (sorry about those greasy, salty Tex-Mex and fast-food disasters and soft drinks).

iow, Joe's toe loss is no accident or bad luck. He's a victim, with due sympathy, of the culture-wide ignorance about how maintain health, how not to inflict yourself with disease.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

$200B annually in US is the cost of obesity, obesity-complicated, -caused diseases. There is a epidemic of adult-onset Type II diabetes, removed body parts, dead kidneys/dialysis, cardio-vascular disease, and wheelchairs, especially in in the Hispanic and black communities.

By the time your toes start going dead and cold and unfeeling, or diabetic gangrene and infection arrive, it's crunch time.

Glucose meter finger-stickers are cheap, well under $100, compared to the many $1000s wasted in co-pays and increased insurance premiums (if you can even find a private insurer to give a toe-less diabetic a policy).

TDMVPDPOY
09-07-2009, 01:14 PM
lol just wait till obama puts a tax on fatty foods to curb this obese shit....

did they amputate anything else besides the toe?

mouse
09-07-2009, 01:34 PM
"who has time for a cure"

The intelligent question is:

"WGAF for (diabetes) prevention?"
Adult-onset Type II diabetes is almost exclusively a lifestyle disease, aka bad diet (high-sugars, high carbs, overweight, obese) and no exercise. A self-inflicted disease.

Joe should have been told that his disease is not only manageable, but also mostly curable, if he changes his life-style, becomes lean and fit, hits the cardio and resistance training hard, re-sensitizing his body to insulin, cuts out the processed foods, refined sugars, sweeteners, high-calorie-density cheap crap on hand everywhere, aka S.A.D., Standard American Diet.

Paleolithic or Mediterranean diets are recommended (sorry about those greasy, salty Tex-Mex and fast-food disasters and soft drinks).

iow, Joe's toe loss is no accident or bad luck. He's a victim, with due sympathy, of the culture-wide ignorance about how maintain health, how not to inflict yourself with disease.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

$200B annually in US is the cost of obesity, obesity-complicated, -caused diseases. There is a epidemic of adult-onset Type II diabetes, removed body parts, dead kidneys/dialysis, cardio-vascular disease, and wheelchairs, especially in in the Hispanic and black communities.

By the time your toes start going dead and cold and unfeeling, or diabetic gangrene and infection arrive, it's crunch time.

Glucose meter finger-stickers are cheap, well under $100, compared to the many $1000s wasted in co-pays and increased insurance premiums (if you can even find a private insurer to give a toe-less diabetic a policy).

So it's ok to eat Cancer causing preservatives we did not ask for and hormones in our milk?

Monsanto & Cancer Milk: Fox News Kills Story & Fires Reporters

Z0AL4yml3bw

boutons_deux
09-07-2009, 01:51 PM
"So it's ok to eat Cancer causing preservatives"

You said it, not me. Sounds like hungry stoner logic.

Here are few rules worth trying follow:

If man made it, don't put it your mouth.

If man didn't eat it 15,000 years ago, don't eat it now.

If it doesn't rot, don't eat it. ( "It's dead, Jim" )

mouse
09-07-2009, 01:53 PM
"So it's ok to eat Cancer causing preservatives"

You said it, not me. Sounds like hungry stoner logic.

Here are few rules worth trying follow:

If man made it, don't put it your mouth.

If man didn't eat it 15,000 years ago, don't eat it now.

If it doesn't rot, don't eat it. ( "It's dead, Jim" )

I take it you was breast fed baby?

boutons_deux
09-07-2009, 02:57 PM
yep. I was lucky.

Baby formula instead of mother's milk is one of the health abominations by corporate predators.

Word!
09-07-2009, 04:24 PM
yep. I was lucky.

Baby formula instead of mother's milk is one of the health abominations by corporate predators.

Even though your not sure who was sucking on those tits before you?