PDA

View Full Version : Kareem wants to coach

spursfan1000
09-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would like to coach in the NBA.
"I know that I have knowledge about the game that I can convey. The knowledge I have will help other players play well," Abdul-Jabbar told the Korea Times.
He has worked as a special assistant with the Lakers, but hasn't even been given a chance to be a true assistant in the league.
"Certain things have to fall into place. The stars have to align, more or less, but I feel that I've done a very good job with my assignment and somebody might feel that I deserve another opportunity," the Hall of Fame center added.
Abdul-Jabbar admitted that he hasn't had any discussions with the Lakers about possibly replacing coach Phil Jackson when he eventually retires.
"They made it very clear what they wanted from me, and I delivered that. I think they are happy with that. But as far as me moving up the ladder, we haven't had any discussions," he concluded.

Culburn369
09-06-2009, 10:50 AM
He burned quite a few bridges as a player...rebuilding them probably is not going to prove fruitful.

The Franchise
09-06-2009, 11:40 AM
He burned quite a few bridges as a player...rebuilding them probably is not going to prove fruitful.

Yes, but not hiring someone who can probably do an excellent job simply out of spite is dimwitted, and evil to say the least.

baseline bum
09-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I don't think Kareem has the personality to be a coach. He's just too cold and angry.

Culburn369
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes, but not hiring someone who can probably do an excellent job simply out of spite is dimwitted, and evil to say the least.

...but its also human.

lotr1trekkie
09-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Should have started at the college level and prove he can recruit and relate. Instead he seems to want to be rewarded for who 'he was'. Smart guy, coachable and a team guy but it doesn't seem to translate for him at the NBA level. There is something behind closed doors that puts off GM's.

Culburn369
09-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't think Kareem has the personality to be a coach. He's just too cold and angry.

Yep, there is a definite rage seething there. Holding it in as he managed to do thru the past 40 years is a testament to his strength & resolve. Watching him in videos (non game situations) is very uncomfortable. He's lit underneath.

The Franchise
09-06-2009, 12:02 PM

From some of his interviews i've read, I think Kareem has learned from his past mistakes. Players will overlook his personality a little for the simple fact that he's been a champion on multiple occasions in this league.Players tend to show more respect to people who have been where they're trying to go. Besides, with all the shitty coaches in the league right now who have no clue about what they're doing, could he be any worse? If I were an owner I would at least give him a chance.

The Franchise
09-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Should have started at the college level and prove he can recruit and relate. Instead he seems to want to be rewarded for who 'he was'. Smart guy, coachable and a team guy but it doesn't seem to translate for him at the NBA level. There is something behind closed doors that puts off GM's.

He has said on numerous occasions that he is willing to pay his dues on any level, but because of how he's perceived he hasn't been given a chance. Just seems like a waste to not take advantage of the obvious knowledge he has for the game.

picc84
09-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I dont see him succeeding as a head coach, for reasons already stated. Hopefully he'll stay with us for as long as possible and continue to mentor our bigs though.

Culburn369
09-06-2009, 12:17 PM
From some of his interviews i've read, I think Kareem has learned from his past mistakes.

Where he is having trouble within himself is reconciling the mistakes. He's intelligent enough to acknowledge what's his responsibility, where's he's been legitimately wronged and can he sell himself out in order to be allowed into "the club." [They] will not let him in until he's duly bent himself over & self flaggelated.

ChumpDumper
09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
The only real coaching job he has been given was as successful as it probably could be -- his USBL team won their championship. Maybe people are afraid of his ego, but what coach worth his salt doesn't have one?

I'm a little surprised some independent D-League team hasn't given him a try.

baseline bum
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
He has said on numerous occasions that he is willing to pay his dues on any level, but because of how he's perceived he hasn't been given a chance. Just seems like a waste to not take advantage of the obvious knowledge he has for the game.

It's not how he's perceived. It's how he is. I met him 20 years ago and he was a prick. A few years ago my roommate was walking down Westwood Blvd, the main street running through UCLA, saw him, and said "Hey Kareem!" He said Kareem didn't say anything and shot him this dirty look like 'hey, fuck you'. I can kind of understand him being a jerk to a Spurs fan in San Antonio, but to be an asshole to a fan at UCLA, his alma mater? No one else is like that. I have met Magic, Kobe, and Baron Davis at UCLA and they all had enough to class to at least throw a smile and a "hey what's up".

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I'd like to see both he and Barry given a shot. Mike Brown, Nate Mac, and Karl have jobs. Hell, even Byron Scott, and Rambis are working.

Rambis is the latest example of a former player who people assume will be a good head coach since he was white and played hard. Marc Ivaroni is another example of this.

duncan228
09-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Abdul-Jabbar Wants to Coach (http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2009/09/136_51355.html)
By Matt Flemming
The Korea Times

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was in Seoul on the weekend, serving as the assistant coach of a team of former NBA stars and current National Basketball Development League (NBDL) players, as part of the NBA Asia Challenge.

The 20-year former NBA veteran with the Los Angeles Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks saw his team, which included Tim Hardaway, Robert Horry, Dominique Wilkins and Vlade Divac, lose 114-98 to a Korean Basketball League (KBL) all-star squad.

But Abdul-Jabbar has let it be known that his coaching aspirations go beyond leading a team of retirees and minor leaguers.

During an interview with the Korea Times on Friday at Jamsil Gymnasium in Seoul, he reiterated his message to NBA teams that he's available and he wants a shot at coaching.

"I know that I have knowledge about the game that I can convey. The knowledge I have will help other players play well," said Abdul-Jabbar.

His credentials as a player speak volumes: a six-time NBA champion and NBA MVP, a 19-time All Star and the all-time leader in points scored. He has an intellectual side as well, the bestselling author of seven books.

Despite his credentials, however, Abdul-Jabbar has not been given an opportunity on an NBA bench.

He has worked as a special assistant coach with the Los Angeles Lakers since 2005, primarily to work with center Andrew Bynum, at that time a raw talent. Abdul-Jabbar has helped Bynum blossom into a solid contributor with the Lakers, who averaged 14 points and eight rebounds a game this past season.

With a question mark continually surrounding the future of Lakers head coach Phil Jackson due to health issues, Abdul-Jabbar used his Twitter feed earlier this summer to openly express his interest in the position.

"I just read the ESPN story on who will replace Phil (and I see) that a lot of (you) think I would be a good choice. I would have to agree with my fans," he wrote on the social networking site Aug. 19.

He added, "I have not been given an opportunity as a head coach so maybe a groundswell of support from my fans could open a door for me!"

On Friday in Seoul, Abdul-Jabbar said he would be interested in a coaching position for any NBA team, not just the Lakers.

"When you're a coach you've got to go up the ladder, you've got to be ready to travel. That's the nature of coaching. So I understand that," he said.

"Certain things have to fall into place. The stars have to align, more or less, but I feel that I've done a very good job with my assignment and somebody might feel that I deserve another opportunity."

As for replacing Jackson, Abdul-Jabbar admitted that he has had no discussions with Lakers management about moving into another role.

"They made it very clear what they wanted from me, and I delivered that. I think they are happy with that. But as far as me moving up the ladder, we haven't had any discussions," he said.

While history has proven that great players do not automatically make great coaches, many believe that Abdul-Jabbar's personality may be a reason why NBA teams haven't come calling. Not known for either charisma or affability, some have questioned whether he has the right personality to motivate a team of young players.

But former Laker Robert Horry believes the all-time legend has hidden depths.

"He's one of those types of guys, as a player, you respect a lot. You're kind of intimidated by him, you don't want to disturb him, so I never really got a chance to know him. Since I've been here I've got to know him and he's a very nice and incredibly intelligent guy," he said.

At the age of 62, Abdul-Jabbar admits he's a tad old to be a rookie coach, one reason why he's not surprised the jobs haven't come his way.

"I know how things go. Most coaches start to get involved when they are in their 20s. I was in my mid-40s before I really got serious about it."

Nevertheless, Abdul-Jabbar remains convinced he'd do a good job - given the opportunity.

"I learned from some very good teachers, including (UCLA coach) John Wooden and I think I'm in a good position to convey that knowledge to young NBA players."

exstatic
09-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I'd like to see both he and Barry given a shot. Mike Brown, Nate Mac, and Karl have jobs. Hell, even Byron Scott, and Rambis are working.

Rick Barry? :lmao He's one of the most REVILED former players in the history of the NBA. Hell, his own sons don't have much use for his arrogant ass. I don't think there's an NBA franchise that would give him a job cleaning the bathrooms in their arena.

There are three former NBA players that I see having zero chance at ever getting an NBA head coaching gig: Kareem, RBarry, and Kermit Washington.

I also recall at one point Kareem not helping his cause by implying that an assistant gig would be beneath him. That shit doesn't play well in front offices around the league.

Mori Chu
09-07-2009, 03:30 PM
There are three former NBA players that I see having zero chance at ever getting an NBA head coaching gig: Kareem, RBarry, and Kermit Washington.

Dennis Rodman.

exstatic
09-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Dennis Rodman.

I should have qualified it as former NBA players who are non-cross dressers and actually interested in coaching, who will never get NBA head coaching gigs.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2009, 04:28 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/asia_750_1_090908.jpg

lefty
09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I dont see him succeeding as a head coach, for reasons already stated. Hopefully he'll stay with us for as long as possible and continue to mentor our bigs though.
+1

He is a very good mentor to Bynum