PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson Tribute on ESPN Classic

smahmood26
09-06-2009, 02:17 PM
If this has already been posted I'm sorry. On Tuesday ESPN Classic will have a DRob tribute. They will air 5 games. Starts at @1 pm central

1 pm Michigan vs Navy 1987
3 pm Spurs at Minnesota 1997
5 pm Pistons at Spurs 1994
7 pm Spurs at Knicks 1999 Game 5 NBA Finals
9 pm Nets at Spurs 2003 Game 6 NBA Finals

duncan228
09-06-2009, 02:20 PM
NBA TV is running stuff all day Tuesday too.

5:00am - NBA Hardwood Classics - New Jersey Nets vs. San Antonio Spurs

7:00am - 2003 NBA Champions: San Antonio Spurs

8:00am - NBA Hardwood Classics - Detroit Pistons vs. San Antonio Spurs

10:00am - NBA Hardwood Classics - Phoenix Suns vs. San Antonio Spurs

12:00pm - NBA Hardwood Classics - New York Knicks vs. San Antonio Spurs

2:00pm - Go Spurs Go: 1999 San Antonio Spurs

3:00pm - NBA Hardwood Classics - New Jersey Nets vs. San Antonio Spurs

5:00pm - 2003 NBA Champions: San Antonio Spurs

7:00pm - NBA Hardwood Classics - Detroit Pistons vs. San Antonio Spurs

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134320

smahmood26
09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
I was afraid it was already posted. Sorry

duncan228
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I was afraid it was already posted. Sorry

No problem, it's long gone. Just wanted to add the NBA TV list to yours. :)

exstatic
09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
I think the Detroit game is his famous quad double.

whottt
09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
5 pm Pistons at Spurs 1994

If anyone wants to see what it looks like when a player records a quad double...be sure to watch this game.

It's awesome they are going to show this game, unfortunately, still no 71 pt game. I've never seen the 71pt game(and I don't think anyone that wasn't in the arena that day in LA has either) and I wish someday they would release the footage of that game, even if its only game film.

baseline bum
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
If anyone wants to see what it looks like when a player records a quad double...be sure to watch this game.

It's awesome they are going to show this game, unfortunately, still no 71 pt game. I've never seen the 71pt game(and I don't think anyone that wasn't in the arena that day in LA has either) and I wish someday they would release the footage of that game, even if its only game film.

I think Paragon cable ran the second half of the game (without announcers) on their PPV preview channel once it was apparent it was going to be a big game for David. I didn't have cable back then and didn't see it though. :(

whottt
09-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I think Paragon cable ran the second half of the game (without announcers) on their PPV preview channel once it was apparent it was going to be a big game for David. I didn't have cable back then and didn't see it though. :(

Did you live in LA then? If so that's funny because I lived in LA(Hermosa Beach) during Drob's rookie season and I think you said you lived in SA then....then I moved to Schertz after his rookie year...when did you move to LA?

Edit:I don't know for sure that you lived in LA btw, it just sounds that way from the way you described it.

baseline bum
09-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Did you live in LA then? If so that's funny because I lived in LA(Hermosa Beach) during Drob's rookie season and I think you said you lived in SA then....then I moved to Schertz after his rookie year...when did you move to LA?

Edit:I don't know for sure that you lived in LA btw, it just sounds that way from the way you described it.

Nah, I was in SA and I was talking about San Antonio cable that supposedly showed the end of the game. I doubt it was broadcast at all in LA.

Spurz iN 09
09-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Please show the entire 1995 WCF!

whottt
09-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Nah, I was in SA and I was talking about San Antonio cable that supposedly showed the end of the game. I doubt it was broadcast at all in LA.

I've heard that it was on in LA, then again I've heard people say they have that game on video yet when anyone pushes them for a copy it never seems to materialize.

I remember exactly what I was doing the day David scored 71points...I was working at restaurant in Austin and there were two other Spurfans that worked there and we were all trying to keep track of how much David was scoring. It seemed like we had to call one of our friends to get updates and we knew he got off to a good start but we couldn't get any updates for the second half until the game was over(because idiots were actually going out to eat while Drob was scoring 71 points) and back then it was a bitch to get individual stat updates, and then we finally found out Drob went off for 71 and we were like Shaq is fuuuuuuuuuuccked. :lmao

That is one of my all time favorite Spurs moments even though I didn't get to see or hear a single part of it, just because Shaq got fucked so badly by DRob.

ANd IIRC right David scored his points before Shaq so Shaq knew what he needed to score and he still FAILED to match the badassedness that was David Robinson! If anyone body else had upset Shaq it seems like it would have been a great underdog story, but when David did it it was more like they were pissed off about it :lol

We were all huge David Robinson fans that's what made it so cool.

That was an awesome experience and I was never more into keeping up with the score in any game I've watched than that one, except maybe a couple of those Portland games in 90.

I wonder if I would remember it so vividly if I had actually seen the game, somehow I don't think I would have.

I know one thing, while the playoffs always seemed to end in disappointment, David never came up short in achieving statistical magnificence of any sort. Was pretty much the highlight of being a Spur fan back then....and it was fun because David would do shit no one else could do. This big huge shit like a 71 pt game to win a scoring title. And they never gave him credit for it when he did it. They'd mention it like it was an insignificant footnote but w hen any bigmarket athlete did something that wasn't as close to being as badass as what David did(and none of em scored 71 motherfucking points), they made a big deal about it(still do).

And it means they are full of it on a lot of stuff, because it wasn't that easy to watch every game then like it is now(as the 71 pt game proves)....for all we know this 71 pt game is one of the greatest scoring exhibitions in NBA history...it's just that no one saw it. David went OFF in this game...

whottt
09-06-2009, 05:30 PM
and none of em scored 71 motherfucking points.

Not even Jordan.

Thanks for that one Dave :tu

Mel_13
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
starting soon

DJB
09-08-2009, 11:54 AM

How in god's name do you go from Hermosa Beach, CA to Schertz, TX?

Talk about a total 180.

NRHector
09-08-2009, 12:01 PM
We all did WITNESS that and DRob did not need a circus to be great:toast

whottt
09-08-2009, 12:45 PM
How in god's name do you go from Hermosa Beach, CA to Schertz, TX?

LOL man. Hermosa beach happened right after highschool. Me and my best friend and his brother went to visit his other brother who had an APT right near the boardwalk on Hermosa beach. Was just supposed to be like a 2 week trip that ended up being closer to 2 years when the brother we were visiting needed help paying rent.

You'd think Hermosa was the easiest part of it but that could not be further from the truth...

That was an efficiency apartment that cost like $1200 a month(and this is in the late 80's) and we ended up sleeping on the floor for like $350 a month.

Schertz was a much better deal...I got my apartment pretty much free and use of my Dad's Spurs' season tickets as long as I made good grades and worked.

Talk about a total 180.

Such is life....

alamo50
09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I wish someday they would release the footage of that game, even if its only game film.

Check out footage right here on Spurs.com:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/robinson_71_points.html

TDMVPDPOY
09-08-2009, 12:57 PM
they should show the spurs bulls game where robinson owned jordan...

or the rockets vs spurs 95 series where robinson blocked hakeem on 1-2 important last sec plays to win the game

draft87
09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Please show the entire 1995 WCF!

why?
that is the pinnacle of what i call 'the blue ball years'

duncan228
09-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Just watched the '99 run, that Duncan-Sprewell shootout is still fun to watch.

Profile of Robinson's career on NBA TV now.

TDMVPDPOY
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Just watched the '99 run, that Duncan-Sprewell shootout is still fun to watch.

Profile of Robinson's career on NBA TV now.

i still remember that series in my head, spree was nutts in that series...

duncan228
09-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Game 6 2003 Finals on NBA TV now. Duncan's almost quad double game. :)

angelbelow
09-08-2009, 03:18 PM
sweett

baseline bum
09-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Fuck, I wish I had ESPN Classic. At least some of these should be up by Wednesday as torrents somewhere on the web.

ambchang
09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I would love to watch the Quad-Dub game, or the Navy game. If any one has a copy of DVD, please let me know.

duncan228
09-08-2009, 04:03 PM
As Duncan recorded his 8th block:

"They call that the Stat Stuffer Supreme."

"They call that the MVP."

duncan228
09-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Watching Robinson go out with a Championship still chokes me up. What a deserving end for such a classy player.

Phenomanul
09-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Thank GOD for DVR.... will be watching Five-O... 50 days prior to the start of the season...

CubanSucks
09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!

Instead of the 99 championship game they're now showing the miami v. florida st game from LAST NIGHT. What the fuck were they thinking at espn? Hmm, lets interupt the David Robinson Tribute for a game that happened last night!? Guarentee, if it were the Jordan tribute this bullshit wouldn't have happened!

DPG21920
09-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Ya, that sucks they are not playing the scheduled games.

EricB
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
lol the 99 championship game has been seen a billion times.

Switch to NBATV they are showing the quadruple double game.

:lol Peeps need to chill.

manufan10
09-08-2009, 08:29 PM
what the fuck!?!?!

instead of the 99 championship game they're now showing the miami v. Florida st game from last night. What the fuck were they thinking at espn? Hmm, lets interupt the david robinson tribute for a game that happened last night!? Guarentee, if it were the jordan tribute this bullshit wouldn't have happened!

+1

Mark in Austin
09-08-2009, 08:35 PM
It was really weird seeing Elliott in a Piston uniform.

Every time I watch one of these 90's games it reminds me how much absolute dogshit Robinson was surrounded by for most of his career.

Imagine 90's Dave playing with the current backcourt...

EricB
09-08-2009, 08:35 PM
No offense, but I'd rather watch that game than either of those two scheduled games. That was an absolute classic.

While it's a "David Robinson tribute", those last two games were more about Tim Duncan anyhow. In addition, they just showed game six of the '03 Finals a couple of weeks ago.

I watched some of the game versus Detroit and it not only reminded me how bad Detroit was in a rebuilding year, but how much I hated Sean Elliott.

I know San Antonio fans love him...but he was a fucking dog in Detroit .

How exactly was he a dog?

he was the leading scorer and busting his ass on a shit pistons team.

Hating on Sean Elliott is one of the more retarded things I've seen posted here.

FromWayDowntown
09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
How exactly was he a dog?

he was the leading scorer and busting his ass on a shit pistons team.

He was 5th on that Pistons team in PPG. And I'd think that one piece of evidence for suggesting that he was a dog was the fact that Detroit readily dealt him the next summer for Bill Curley, straight up. In terms of talent, that's actually worse than dealing Dennis Rodman for Will Perdue. It suggests a motivation by the Pistons to rid themselves of Sean. Particularly given that they had previously dealt Sean to the Rockets for Robert Horry, only to have that trade invalidated by a failed physical.

In retrospect, what wasn't well-known then Sean's kidneys were starting to fail and that some reduction in his production may have been attributable to that.

But, I'm not sure that even Sean Elliott would much dispute that his efforts in Detroit were something short of his best.

Hating on Sean Elliott is one of the more retarded things I've seen posted here.

I'm not sure it's hating on Sean. It strikes me as a relatively well-supported argument. And I absolutely think the world of Sean Elliott.

DPG21920
09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Once again facts win.

EricB
09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
He was 5th on that Pistons team in PPG.

In said game he was leading scorer.

Didn't mean for the season.

EricB
09-08-2009, 09:56 PM
ut, I'm not sure that even Sean Elliott would much dispute that his efforts in Detroit were something short of his best.

Kidney problems along with Joe Dumars and Isaih Thomas being total dicks and jerkoffs to you while playing there doing a "keep the ball away" and "shun the new guy" bullshit would result in that.

Old School 44
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I watched the quad double game...NICE!
I really thought it was fun to see DRob do almost a shimmy after a sick rebound follow-up jam. That's probably more rare than the quad double.
Ahh the memories.

Brutalis
09-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Dang, I missed it all.

Blackjack
09-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Game 5 of the '99 Finals is on right now on ESPN Classic.

It looks like they might run it and Game 6 of the '03 Finals after all.

I loved seeing Dave drop 50 back in his last game at Navy and all, but did anyone else find it kind of lame that their `tribute' would include a game in which he lost?

Maybe it's just me, but if I were Dave, I don't think a bittersweet game like that to end my college career is the game I'd hope they show...

I mean, they couldn't show him and Navy beating Syracuse?

But I digress..

CubanSucks
09-09-2009, 12:09 AM
lol the 99 championship game has been seen a billion times.

Switch to NBATV they are showing the quadruple double game.

:lol Peeps need to chill.

Maybe YOU'VE seen it a billion times but I haven't; and not everyone has NBATV. I got to see it anyways just a minute ago but there's no way I'm gonna stay up to watch the 03 game now.

CubanSucks
09-09-2009, 12:14 AM
no offense, but i'd rather watch that game than either of those two scheduled games. That was an absolute classic.

While it's a "david robinson tribute", those last two games were more about tim duncan anyhow. In addition, they just showed game six of the '03 finals a couple of weeks ago.

I watched some of the game versus detroit and it not only reminded me how bad detroit was in a rebuilding year, but how much i hated sean elliott.

I know san antonio fans love him...but he was a fucking dog in detroit.

fuck you mariotti