PDA

View Full Version : But Gist?

biziofromdowntown
09-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Any news from this guy?

Bruno
09-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Gist will sign with Spurs and likely be cut at the end of the training camp. It's quite obvious that Spurs have decided to go with Haislip over him.

I hope he will find his place in NBA even if, in all likelihood, it won't be with Spurs.

TIMMYD!
09-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't think he'll ever play for the Spurs, he most likely will be in training camp and then that's it.

ohmwrecker
09-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Toros, back to Europe or . . . who cares? If this dude ever plays a minute in a Spurs uniform, I'll eat my hat. Can we let let this go now?

benefactor
09-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Unless he heads to Golden State, Gist is going to have to learn to play the 3 if he is going to make it in the NBA. He might be able to do some spot duty as a small ball 4 but he is just not strong enough to play there all the time. His best bet will be to head to Toros and work on his skills there to see if he can develop his ball handling, passing and perimeter defense.

I like Gist a lot, but as of right now I'm with Bruno about his chances with the Spurs. Even if he does develop enough skill to play the 3 his defense may be his undoing. He is not strong enough to guard 4's in the post and he does not seem to have the lateral quickness to guard 3's on the perimeter. I'm pulling for him though...and hopefully he recognizes his limitations and works hard to prove me wrong.

ohmwrecker
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I like Gist a lot, but as of right now I'm with Bruno about his chances with the Spurs. Even if he does develop enough skill to play the 3 his defense may be his undoing. He is not strong enough to guard 4's in the post and he does not seem to have the lateral quickness to guard 3's on the perimeter. I'm pulling for him though...and hopefully he recognizes his limitations and works hard to prove me wrong.

I am sure he stays awake at night hoping he doesn't continue to disappoint some guy on ST.
James Gist has some athletic potential, but I have yet to see anything really unique or special about him. Every team in the league will have someone at training camp who is every bit as talented as James Gist who is going to struggle to make the team and, most likely, fail.

benefactor
09-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I am sure he stays awake at night hoping he doesn't continue to disappoint some guy on ST.
James Gist has some athletic potential, but I have yet to see anything really unique or special about him. Every team in the league will have someone at training camp who is every bit as talented as James Gist who is going to struggle to make the team and, most likely, fail.
It's fine that you disagree...but you could at least attempt it without the douchebaggery.

ohmwrecker
09-07-2009, 08:18 PM
It's fine that you disagree...but you could at least attempt it without the douchebaggery.

I am the douchebag? I see . . . interesting take. I think it's officially a douchebag move to say "douchebaggery". You seem easily offended. Try to relax.

benefactor
09-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I am the douchebag? I see . . . interesting take. I think it's officially a douchebag move to say "douchebaggery". You seem easily offended. Try to relax.
Not really...just trying to understand why you quoted me with this response and how it is pertinent to the discussion...unless you are just being a douche, which is my automatic assumption.

ohmwrecker
09-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm pulling for him though...and hopefully he recognizes his limitations and works hard to prove me wrong.

I just thought it was an odd thing to say . . . kind of encapsulates the air of self-importance that seems to be the prevalent attitude around here. However, it was meant to be humorous until, of course, you threw a fit and resorted to name calling.
Tell you what, champ. You win. You can have this one. I don't care enough to have this argument. You're the king of the message board. Congrats.

benefactor
09-08-2009, 05:35 AM
I just thought it was an odd thing to say . . . kind of encapsulates the air of self-importance that seems to be the prevalent attitude around here. However, it was meant to be humorous until, of course, you threw a fit and resorted to name calling.

Self-importance? It was merely a vote of confidence. If you actually took the time to read my whole post instead of just reading the last sentence then you would see that my official stance is that it is unlikely he will make the team. I have no desire to have him on the team if he cannot contribute at an NBA level, which he has yet to prove he can.

And don't push this off on me because you decided to be condecending for no reason. You made a pointed statement towards me and I called you out on it.