PDA

View Full Version : Was Matt Bonner...

Hooks
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
The WORST starter in the NBA last season?

Serious question. I didn't take the time to look through starting lineups so I'm not sure.

Bonner had the 3 and that was it, nothing else.

DPG21920
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Not even close.

Unholy Turkey
09-06-2009, 06:34 PM
No wayyyyyyyyyy not at all. You guys really underrate Bonner.

Hooks
09-06-2009, 06:46 PM
No wayyyyyyyyyy not at all. You guys really underrate Bonner.

Dude was bad, all he had was the 3, nothing else. People scored on him at will, he was BAD. You'd know if you watched the Spurs games, trust me.

I watched just about every single game he played in, some games he did well like Boston.

Can anyone name anybody he was better than? I'm having a tough time finding depth charts from last season.

sribb43
09-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Antoine Wright...hands down

Hooks
09-06-2009, 07:03 PM

So 2nd worst in the NBA then :D?

DPG21920
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
What did Mason do better than Bonner? He really only had the 3 point shot, failed at PG, sucked on defense (worse than Bonner)...

Unholy Turkey
09-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Who'd the Nets have starting at PF last season? I'm sure he was a lot more worse than Bonner.

And yep, I did watch that Boston game. :lol

Hooks
09-06-2009, 07:41 PM
What did Mason do better than Bonner? He really only had the 3 point shot, failed at PG, sucked on defense (worse than Bonner)...

It wasn't Mason's fault Pop put him at PG, he was doing fine just before that. Bonner sucks at both PF and C. RMJ also averaged 12PPG last year.

RMJ had a reason why his play declined, Bonner didn't.

Not only that but he hit 5 Game winners last season.

Boston
LA
Clips
Suns
Warriors

So Money Mase>Bonner IMO

Hooks
09-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Who'd the Nets have starting at PF last season? I'm sure he was a lot more worse than Bonner.

And yep, I did watch that Boston game. :lol

No idea, all the depth charts are updated.

Culburn369
09-06-2009, 07:47 PM
What did Mason do better than Bonner?

He hit that shot Vs. the Suns. I God's!

Darthkiller
09-06-2009, 08:10 PM
come on man, u rather have bonner than Yi?

Shastafarian
09-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Beno Udrih
Kevin Ollie
Ryan Gomes

Gimme a break with this stuff. Yeah Bonner sucked in the playoffs. But he was one the best 3 point shooters in the league and he even was a decent rebounder.

spursfan09
09-06-2009, 09:39 PM
You act like there is an abundance of great centers in the league. Any center in the league can take the title of worst center in the league any given night.

WildcardManu
09-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I understand the bashing, but I don't think the guy is really terrible compared to other players.

Shastafarian
09-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I'd be willing to bet the Knicks had a bad starter.

Matt is actually a good player to go along Tim Duncan. The Spurs don't need another scoring big when Tim is in so they put a player who can shoot on the outside.

Their projected starting center this next year is Darko Milicic. Jared Jeffries started some games for them last year. So yeah, you're correct.

z0sa
09-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Matt Bonner was one of our best defenders last season in terms of being in the right position everytime and always putting a hand up. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd agree.

Chieflion
09-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Zach Randolph hurts his team by playing no defense, ball hogging and stuff, so he should be the worst starter.

Unholy Turkey
09-06-2009, 11:24 PM
come on man, u rather have bonner than Yi?

Depends on the team. If you have a dominant big man who needs 3 pointers, then Bonner is good, but if you need an all around one, then I can't really say, because I've never seen Yi play.

DMX7
09-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Matt was good untill the playoffs, then it all fell apart.

sa_kid20
09-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Haha damn Matt isn't THAT bad. I swear Bonner has the reputation of being such a bad player on this board in the same way that the Spurs have the reputation of being old in the media. A few people say it and then everybody starts believing it to be true.

Unholy Turkey
09-07-2009, 12:44 AM
If you guys want bad, you shoulda seen some of the cannon fodder we had to put up with in our starting lineups. Amazing stuff.

iggypop123
09-07-2009, 01:23 AM

this

Chieflion
09-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Bonner isn't even close. The same exact people were so pumped up to acquire Richard Jefferson, which is laughable, because he makes 15 million and his PER is almost identical to Bonner's.
Keep sucking on Hollinger's dick. Practically, almost everyone on the Bucks had shitty PERs.

kobyz
09-07-2009, 05:06 AM
the worst was Roger Mason

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Bonner isn't even close. The same exact people were so pumped up to acquire Richard Jefferson, which is laughable, because he makes 15 million and his PER is almost identical to Bonner's.

Ruh roh. Damus, thowin' a turd in!

Chieflion
09-07-2009, 08:23 AM
And not surprisingly, they were a terrible team last season. What exactly does that prove again? That Hollinger is correct?
No. PER is only used for comparing players who have similar roles on a team. Not something you use to compare the main focus on offense for half a season versus a role player.

Ghazi
09-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Worst starter on a playoff team was of course Antoine Wright... who is worse than Bonner. i'm trying to think of a player worse than Wright who was starting on one of those lottery teams, I'm sure there may be a few.

Which makes it all the more impressive that Dirk fucking Nowitzki, with one of the worst 2 guards in the league and Howard/Terry injuries throughout the year, could guide our boys to 50 wins and a 1st round victory.

but why should I be surprised? After all, this is the man that led a team with low post scoring or all-NBA caliber complimentary talent to an NBA Championship, triumphing over the 2 best bigs in the NBA (Shaq/Duncan), the best PG in the NBA (Nash), and the best SG in the NBA (ringless D-Whistle).

monosylab1k
09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
rofl

S-d7CWsrjG0

HORNSWOGGLE
09-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Worst starter on a playoff team was of course Antoine Wright... who is worse than Bonner. i'm trying to think of a player worse than Wright who was starting on one of those lottery teams, I'm sure there may be a few.

Which makes it all the more impressive that Dirk fucking Nowitzki, with one of the worst 2 guards in the league and Howard/Terry injuries throughout the year, could guide our boys to 50 wins and a 1st round victory.

but why should I be surprised? After all, this is the man that led a team with low post scoring or all-NBA caliber complimentary talent to an NBA Championship, triumphing over the 2 best bigs in the NBA (Shaq/Duncan), the best PG in the NBA (Nash), and the best SG in the NBA (ringless D-Whistle).
thats funny, still havent seen any chanpionship banners hanging in the American Airlines center :lol

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 09:51 AM
thats funny, still havent seen any chanpionship banners hanging in the American Airlines center :lol

True, but, yer ass is hangin' in there 4-1. tee, hee.

Shastafarian
09-07-2009, 09:57 AM

It's funny that it has become so easy to predict what you'll say. What, no "daddy-O"? You talk about how the majority of Spurs fandom doesn't know shit (excellent point considering you're basing it off this forum alone) but you consistently post stupid redundant shit. Instead of thinking you're so smart and cool, why not actually contribute something to a discussion? Ever think of that? Oh my bad, you haven't thought of it because you're too busy jerking off reading your HIL-ARIOUS posts.

spursncowboys
09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Was Farmar a starter?

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 10:00 AM
It's funny that it has become so easy to predict what you'll say. What, no "daddy-O"?

Nope, no "daddy-O".

BlackBellamy
09-07-2009, 10:45 AM
It's funny that it has become so easy to predict what you'll say. What, no "daddy-O"? You talk about how the majority of Spurs fandom doesn't know shit (excellent point considering you're basing it off this forum alone) but you consistently post stupid redundant shit. Instead of thinking you're so smart and cool, why not actually contribute something to a discussion? Ever think of that? Oh my bad, you haven't thought of it because you're too busy jerking off reading your HIL-ARIOUS posts.
Dude, the guy is a troll. You biting on this is only going to create more of the same. They say the same shit over and over 'cause it gets guys like you going. They count on the fact that you have a breaking point. Maybe it's cathartic for them to repeat the same tired propaganda for reasons that they truly don't care about. I agree that this specific act (Cul), and particularly the "tee-hee", which only makes the author seem like a smug theater arts kid, or a socially inept and 'out of touch' geek, is getting rather tired. That substitution for laughing, is so sophomoric it makes me cringe. Really! Nobody ever says 'tee-hee' without being an 8 year old girl (or similar, see: above drama school personality type), or a Battlestar Galactica (or insert applicable Sci-Fi series here) goon who's mom has convinced him that he is the funniest. Maybe some people troll as a substitute for dating.

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Dude, the guy is a troll. You biting on this is only going to create more of the same. They say the same shit over and over 'cause it gets guys like you going. They count on the fact that you have a breaking point. Maybe it's cathartic for them to repeat the same tired propaganda for reasons that they truly don't care about. I agree that this specific act (Cul), and particularly the "tee-hee", which only makes the author seem like a smug theater arts kid, or a socially inept and 'out of touch' geek. That substitution for laughing, is so sophomoric it makes me cringe. Really! Nobody ever says 'tee-hee' without being an 8 year old girl (or similar, see: above drama school personality type), or a Battlestar Galactica (or insert applicable Sci-Fi fiction series here) goon who's mom has convinced him that he is the funniest. Maybe some people troll as a substitute for dating.

Gee, Bell examining my gourd. I God's!

Sure, I'm trollin'...just like everybody else did afore Kobe ringed without Daddy. You all want to forget that...and get back to "regular posting" of NBA arts & letters. It's been a perfect confluence of events: Kobe wins without Daddy, defacto ring, and the Mavs humiliate ya's. Yer in the high shit. Ain't no way out for ya until at least next Spring.

Sure, the "tee, hee" is a tool, it's a driver. I've had great success with it. And it is from my childhood so I get that linkage. And I'd give my right nut to be 8 years-old again, girl or boy.

& I troll because it's grande fun. You Spurs Fandom are sittin' ducks. You're made to order for Cubby= yer strung real high, yer wisdom is limited to San Antonio city borders, yer repeatless, and yer paranoid.

BlackBellamy
09-07-2009, 11:23 AM

Sure, I'm trollin'...just like everybody else did afore Kobe ringed without Daddy. You all want to forget that...and get back to "regular posting" of NBA arts & letters. It's been a perfect confluence of events: Kobe wins without Daddy, defacto ring, and the Mavs humiliate ya's. Yer in the high shit. Ain't no way out for ya until at least next Spring.

Sure, the "tee, hee" is a tool, it's a driver. I've had great success with it. And it is from my childhood so I get that linkage. And I'd give my right nut to be 8 years-old again, girl or boy.

& I troll because it's grande fun. You Spurs Fandom are sittin' ducks. You're made to order for Cubby= yer strung real high, yer wisdom is limited to San Antonio city borders, yer repeatless, and yer paranoid.

Wasn't trying to get personal. And I am wise enough to your game to recognize what it is. However, I think that you may over-exaggerate how much you aggravate Spurs fandom. I mean, I really doubt that people are throwing all the objects within arms distance of the computer against the wall, kicking their children or pets and cursing out-loud the name of Cubby Culburn. 'Tee-Hee', is just a pet peeve of mine, as is Alton Brown. Sure, I'd like to be eight again, just one problem... we are grown men.

HORNSWOGGLE
09-07-2009, 11:27 AM

still havent seen that one either, must be where the championship one is at

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Wasn't trying to get personal. And I am wise enough to your game to recognize what it is. However, I think that you may over-exaggerate how much you aggravate Spurs fandom. I mean, I really doubt that people are throwing all the objects within arms distance of the computer against the wall, kicking their children or pets and cursing out-loud the name of Cubby Culburn. 'Tee-Hee', is just a pet peeve of mine, as is Alton Brown. Sure, I'd like to be eight again, just one problem... we are grown men.

Give me a chance, Bell, I've only been at it a couple months. tee, hee.

No seriously, your fandom is a truly target rich environment, and frankly deserve a good red assing. You must admit you guys were way overboard on the 'Kobe without Daddy Troll'. You were convinced that he'd never ring, that you'd be safe forever busting our humps with it. Then one after another, the dominoes commissed to falling: Utah indifferent. Houston injured. Denver incompetent. Orlando defuncted. Now you have to suffer your fate at the hands of the Cubster. Yer it. Not Dallas Fandom, or, tlong's Blazer Fandom, none other but you.

Charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HORNSWOGGLE
09-07-2009, 11:54 AM

No seriously, your fandom is a truly target rich environment, and frankly deserve a good red assing. You must admit you guys were way overboard on the 'Kobe without Daddy Troll'. You were convinced that he'd never ring, that you'd be safe forever busting our humps with it. Then one after another, the dominoes commissed to falling: Utah indifferent. Houston injured. Denver incompetent. Orlando defuncted. Now you have to suffer your fate at the hands of the Cubster. Yer it. Not Dallas Fandom, or, tlong's Blazer Fandom, none other but you.

Charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://cpwatex.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/tee-hee.jpg

spursfan09
09-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its all in your make believe world. Its all in your head.

I'm starting to think you have make believe conversations with Spur fans in your head.

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm starting to think you have make believe conversations with Spur fans in your head.

You are laboring at elbowing the Suns fans out of my gourd.

HORNSWOGGLE
09-07-2009, 12:09 PM
tee hee?

spursfan09
09-07-2009, 12:27 PM

k

Hooks
09-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Tee hee reminds me of that one episode of Family Guy, the one where those midgets are down the well. The guy with long arms tickles them and they say "Tee Hee!" =P

Shastafarian
09-07-2009, 12:58 PM

Dude, get a life. There has to be more to do than sit on your computer and troll an internet forum. It's even worse if you actually live in LA and you're here so often.

BUMP
09-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Matt Bonner is a good one trick pony off the bench if used properly.

There's a reason Poppovich is coaching in the NBA and i'm the one sitting behind the computer, but starting Matt Bonner, especially at center, isn't using him properly IMO

Muser
09-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Matt Bonner is a good one trick pony off the bench if used properly.

There's a reason Poppovich is coaching in the NBA and i'm the one sitting behind the computer, but starting Matt Bonner, especially at center, isn't using him properly IMO

This.

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Dude, get a life. There has to be more to do than sit on your computer and troll an internet forum. It's even worse if you actually live in LA and you're here so often.

This is my hobby.

& I reside in the Phoenix metro area.

spursfan1000
09-07-2009, 02:26 PM

Your fucking dum if you think Bonner is anything close to RJ.

Muser
09-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Your fucking dum if you think Bonner is anything close to RJ.

lolirony

all_heart
09-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I'd be willing to bet the Knicks had a bad starter.

Matt is actually a good player to go along Tim Duncan. The Spurs don't need another scoring big when Tim is in so they put a player who can shoot on the outside.

Maybe 5 yrs ago.. Nowadays TD isn't commanding the double team as much. I've noticed the past couple years teams are choosing to guard him straight up.. aggressively. Problem with this combo is that it only works when the shots are falling for both TD and Bonner, rebounding becomes an issue when they aren't, like this past year. Either way Bonner shouldn't be starting for the Spurs IMO he's overrated. He's like an oversized Steve Kerr but not as clutch. His defense is average, against other scrubs he's ok, but against the better bigs.. forget about it. If the Spurs traded him I wouldn't miss him one bit.

spursfan1000
09-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Bonner> Wright and Ollie

Bonner fif not only shoot the 3 he was one of the best.

benefactor
09-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Is there a minimum for starts? If not, then Ricky Davis...who started 9 games for the Clippers last season...is your answer.

ernest787
09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
bonner was being asked to do more than he is capable of, and did an admirable job of it

he really should be a bench player, but the Spurs really did not have a better option at the 5 last year, so they had to roll with the Red Rocket.

Overall he was a solid player on a 50+ win team. He will be so much more useful this year playing a role he is comfortable with, coming off the bench and playing spot minutes to stretch the Defense

benefactor
09-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Ok...I found a legit one. Mike James started 50 out of the 53 games he played in Washington last season. No one in their right mind would take Mike James over Matt Bonner.