View Full Version : ESPN: Predictions for NBA Champions

Shifty
09-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Los Angeles Lakers (19 votes)

Cleveland Cavaliers (18 votes)

San Antonio Spurs (8 votes)

Boston Celtics (5 votes)

Orlando Magic (3 votes)

Do the Spurs have a fifth title run in them? According to 15 percent of our panel, yes, and here are some of the reasons why:Assuming the Spurs' Big Three will stay healthy is just as dangerous as assuming Ron-Ron plays into the Lakers' system instead of outside it. But this team addressed its biggest hole from last season, namely a lack of athleticism. Richard Jefferson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1006) will make a big contribution right away, and youngsters George Hill (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3438) and DeJuan Blair (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3965) are perfect energy guys with great basketball IQs (who are also very tough competitors). Mix in Antonio McDyess (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=530), and if healthy, the Spurs can stand straight up with L.A. It's a big if, but not the biggest if this offseason.
I think the Spurs will win the West. They lost Bruce Bowen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=83) and Fabricio Oberto (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2805) and added Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess -- can you say "upgrade"? Offensively, they won't have to rely on the Big Three any longer and will have depth at every position. Ron Artest will doom the Lakers in the playoffs and the Nuggets aren't as deep as the Spurs. Besides, some veteran will get bought out and will go to the Spurs to try to win a title. Happens every season, and this season when it happens, it'll really improve the Spurs' chances of winning a title.
Championship-caliber teams don't stick around for a decade anymore, but the Spurs keep surviving. I love the offseason additions for Tim Duncan (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=215)'s team, and trust they'll be http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=OffseasonPredictions09-NBAChamps

BadMoodBob
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
ESPN is so unpredictable these days.

rayray2k8
09-07-2009, 02:31 PM
the fucking cavs were in 2nd??? they're the worst team of all the elite teams!! :lol

baseline bum
09-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Gee, I wonder which ESPN columnist wrote this?

The Cleveland Cavaliers were the league's most dominant team last season with a 10.0-point differential per 100 possessions. Their probable path to an NBA championship was pushed off course by an Orlando Magic team uniquely suited to exploit their vulnerabilities. Don't count on that happening two years in a row. With the additions of Shaquille O'Neal and some very effective wing defenders, the Cavs have insured that there isn't a system in the league that can hijack their championship hopes in 2009-10.

Solid D
09-07-2009, 02:46 PM
the ****ing cavs were in 2nd??? they're the worst team of all the elite teams!! :lol

Not so fast Ray. They basically walked all over the whole league last year (66-16). Mike Brown won Coach of the Year. Just hit a matchup snag with Orlando's D. Cleveland is still an elite team, even adding Shaq.

TIMMYD!
09-07-2009, 02:57 PM
I never guessed the Lakers and Cavs would be on Top(sarcasm).:hat

DPG21920
09-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't get how people can hate on Cleavland. They are a very good team and made solid moves this off-season.

The Celtics look damn good as well, but the Lakers are still the favorites. There are a lot of question-marks for a lot of teams, but this year will be unbelievable if the top dogs stay healthy.

Blackjack
09-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't get how people can hate on Cleavland. They are a very good team and made solid moves this off-season.

Agree.

You'd think Spurs fans, of all people, would understand just how far that defensive system with one of the best/most dominant players in the league can take you.

People always want to slight those '07 Cavs because they got swept and didn't possess great star-power outside of LeBron, but the same could've been said of the Spurs in '03.

That system, solid role-players and arguably the best player in the league isn't something to take lightly.

Throw Shaq --even at an advanced age-- and the talent they've added over the last two years into that system, and it boggles the mind how easily some would like to dismiss..

WildcardManu
09-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary coming from BSPN, I just hope everything falls into place for the Spurs to raise yet another championship banner.

TD 21
09-07-2009, 06:00 PM
the fucking cavs were in 2nd??? they're the worst team of all the elite teams!! :lol

I tend to agree with this. It's also true that they had the league's best regular season record at 66-16, and did hit a "matchup snag", but I just don't see enough star power to put them over the top. James is the O'Neal of perimeter players; that is, while he may not yet be the best, he's clearly the most dominant player in the game. But after him, the Cavs will rely heavily on an aging O'Neal, who I'm skeptical about staying as healthy as he did last season, and Williams, who's not an All-Star. Quite honestly, take the fourth best player on the other four contenders, and they're all better than Williams (Rondo, Artest, Nelson, Jefferson).

As someone who's watched plenty of Raptors games the past few years, I can tell you that Parker, while solid, and underrated, appeared to have lost a step defensively last season, and Moon is an airhead, who while he has excellent tools defensively, is nowhere near as good as his reputation suggests. I can't see this guy, who plays with virtually no intensity, being a key bench player on a championship team.

The Celtics are being overlooked in this. I guess it's not surprising though, because at ESPN the only thing they know about the NBA is Bryant and James.

DPG21920
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Shaq is still plenty effective, but it will be interesting to see how he and James fit together. But they have nice wing defenders in Moon, Parker, James and West. That is an improvement over last year and they were impressive and they now match up better with their only big "mis-match" in the East.

DPG21920
09-07-2009, 06:22 PM
In fact, I am very surprised that the Celtics are not above the Spurs. They have a very nice team and if healthy, they are seriously good.

TD 21
09-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Shaq is still plenty effective, but it will be interesting to see how he and James fit together. But they have nice wing defenders in Moon, Parker, James and West. That is an improvement over last year and they were impressive and they now match up better with their only big "mis-match" in the East.

O'Neal can still be effective as a punishing low post scorer, but he's also a liability in many areas. He never could shoot free throws, defend the pick and roll or opponents who can face and go, but now he doesn't rebound or block shots like he once did, and he can't play over 30 mpg. At this point in his career, I'm not sure a team can win a championship if he's their unquestioned 2nd best player.

James is a vastly overrated straight up defender, and West, while effective, is a runt. Moon is another guy who's vastly overrated as a defender because of his physical tools (trust me, he has little awareness and plays with virtually no intensity), and Parker, based on last season, has lost a step.

I agree about the Celtics, and am surprised they were not listed over the Spurs. Not that they necessarily should be, but generally people like to pretend as if the Lakers, Cavaliers, Celtics, and sometimes Magic, are in another league.

DPG21920
09-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I am willing to bet you that the Cavs have one of the best defenses again this year. Big Z was a terrible defender last year and getting Shaq makes them no worse in any area of defense. But it does help them with Dwight. Everything else is gravy.

While I agree about Parker and Moon, they are still pretty athletic and as a unit, West/James/Parker/Moon are a damn good defensive line up. They bring pretty one-dimensional offensive games, but they should get high percentage looks with Lebron. Varejao is a solid PnR defender as well.

Strike
09-07-2009, 06:52 PM
The way I see it, the Lakers are the front runners in the west and the Celtics are the front runners in the east. If the Spurs stay healthy and get lucky with their new acquisitions, they are possibly the only team in the west that can knock off the Lakers. The Blazers are better, in my opinion, with Andre Miller but I'm not sure they're quite ready for the big time yet. Not this year, anyway.

If the Celtics stay healthy all year, I just don't see the Cavs being good enough to take them down. I don't see Vince Carter as the right fit with the Magic so I don't see them as a true threat to a healthy Celtics team.

Basically, I see Lakers/Celtics or Spurs/Celtics in the 2010 Finals. And, yes, my Spurs homerism does play a part in that.

TD 21
09-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I am willing to bet you that the Cavs have one of the best defenses again this year. Big Z was a terrible defender last year and getting Shaq makes them no worse in any area of defense. But it does help them with Dwight. Everything else is gravy.

While I agree about Parker and Moon, they are still pretty athletic and as a unit, West/James/Parker/Moon are a damn good defensive line up. They bring pretty one-dimensional offensive games, but they should get high percentage looks with Lebron. Varejao is a solid PnR defender as well.

I didn't say they wouldn't, but that's more based on the system and the players collectively buying in rather than having a bunch of plus or lock down defenders. Individually, a lot of their guys are either declining or overrated as defenders.

Varejao, that reminds me. Yet another reason why I don't think too highly of the Cavs chances in a potential playoff series against another elite team is the fact that they don't have a four man who can shoot with any appreciable range. Ilgauskas is their only big man who can stretch the floor, and because of the presence of O'Neal, particularly in a playoff series against another elite team, I doubt he plays significant minutes. Both of their centers are immobile behemoths. I'd have liked this teams chances a lot better if they were playing in the 90s.

DPG21920
09-07-2009, 07:15 PM
They can easily slide Lebron to the 4.

TD 21
09-07-2009, 08:14 PM
They can easily slide Lebron to the 4.

They also don't have a true best five. Because of him being bad offensive compliment to O'Neal, can they close with Varejao at the four? If not, then James slides up the four, but then they either have Moon closing at the three (again, less than ideal), or Parker, which makes them undersized, and vulnerable in the post against the likes of Pierce, Artest, Lewis, or Jefferson.

xtremesteven33
09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Lakers deserve to be #1 obviously. They did nothing this summer to make me believe that they should lose that spot to anyone in the West. Even the Spurs, them staying healthy will be the true factor if the Spurs can go all the way.

Sad to say though i think even if healthy the Spurs would lose to the Lakers in 7 if they dont have HCA.....This Lakers team looks damn good. And the scary thing is i dont think they have hit thier full peak just yet.

:depressed

B-Hath
09-08-2009, 12:27 AM
The Cavs are a solid team. But until they get a coach that doesn't hide behind Lebron, they won't win a ring.

Spurm
09-08-2009, 12:57 AM
I hope you bitches are not even thinking about cahmpionship?

Are you?

lol

z0sa
09-08-2009, 01:00 AM
The Spurs win it all this year

Spurm
09-08-2009, 01:04 AM
The Spurs win it all this year
Your momma will...not the spurms

B-Hath
09-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Your momma will...not the spurms

This post = fail. Just like his team = fail.

NBA Fanatic
09-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Those are the only five teams that will compete for the Larry O'Brien Trophy this year. In my opinion the defending champions are the favorites and then probably the Cavaliers (if LeBron has improved his mid-range game and they can find a way to efficiently integrate Shaq into their offense). The Cavaliers will be a very good defensive team but may have issues with pick-and-roll since Shaq does not defend it very well. After those two teams San Antonio and the Celtics would be the next tier and in my opinion would have the same chances at the championship. The Magic would be the team least likely of the five to win the championship. Basically, in my opinion, the Magic would need some sort of help (like one of the other four teams getting an injury or some other strange occurrence) to win it all. Any of these teams have the chance to win it all and that will make it an exciting and interesting season.

EricB
09-08-2009, 01:35 PM
if LeBron has improved his mid-range game

This is about year 4 or 5 of waiting for this to happen.

The_Game
09-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Best teams in the league:

1) Cavs - Fuck going with the defending champs. They didn't beat the Cavs, and they won against shitty competition.

2) Spurs - The more I think about it, the Lakers bench is terrible. The Spurs are better on paper. The Lakers haven't beat a healthy Spurs team in almost a decade in the playoffs.

3) Lakers - Won against watered down competition, almost lost to a team without its 2 best players and a team starting 6'6" Chuck Hayes at center. The stars truly aligned for them to win this championship.

4) Orlando - Carter/Lewis cancel out Pierce/Allen. Plus, Lewis is a matchup problem... he's too fast for Garnett and too big for Pierce. Dwight is way better than KG at this point in their careers. Nelson < Rondo, but not by that much. Also, I like Gortat as a player right now more than Rasheed Wallace at his age.

5) Boston - Their bench is terrible. They're old. Pierce isn't the go-to guy in the 4th that he once was. Who knows what Garnett has left. Who is their backup point guard? Marquis Daniels? LOL

6) ... who cares? Nobody else has a remote chance at winning a ring.

:lol:lol:lol

z0sa
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
You can laugh at everything else, but the stars did "truly align" for the Lakers last season. Everyone was injured and the Cavs discovered, like the Spurs who would've challenged LA far more but not won had they been healthy, that they just weren't good enough. LA will have a MUCH harder time this season.

Bukefal
09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
We're going to get the championship this season!!!! It will be all about and between Spurs and Cavs. Those 2 in the finals, with spurs winning. Can't wait until the start of the season.

BRING IT ON!!!:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

The_Game
09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
You can laugh at everything else, but the stars did "truly align" for the Lakers last season. Everyone was injured and the Cavs discovered, like the Spurs who would've challenged LA far more but not won had they been healthy, that they just weren't good enough. LA will have a MUCH harder time this season.

you mean like the year before when boston won it? it's the same crap every year..every team gets hurt..it's not a valid excuse.

Lakers were the best team all season long.

BadMoodBob
09-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Spurs are fcuking deep.

I almost feel guilty for knowing what is coming this season while all of the outsiders expect more of the same. :lmao

spurtech09
09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
im a big spurs fan but I think the celtics are the fav. to win the whole thing....If it wasn't for garnett being hurt the celtics would of won the championship not the the lakers...but the lakers got lucky.....the celtics are going to be tough to beat adding sheed to the mix with a healthy garnett I see the celtics in the finals....hope the spurs are there too!!!!!!!!go spurs

widowmaker
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah. When dose training camp start?

The_Game
09-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Lakers destroyed them both times they played...Lakers had a great record against all the elite. They swept Boston as well. They proved all season long they were better than everybody else and proved it in the playoffs too.

2Cleva
09-09-2009, 06:14 AM
Really? Why was the Cavs record better?

The bottom of the East was so weak.

Look at the Cavs regular season games vs Orl, Bos, and LA and it was obvious they weren't winning it all. They didn't match up with the elite well at all.

Agloco
09-09-2009, 09:18 AM
No worries as log as Cleveland doesn't get their hands on Captain Jack. Time to shit some bricks if that goes down.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2009/01/25/thumbs/p20-090125-a4.jpg

Blackjack
09-09-2009, 01:26 PM
im a big spurs fan but I think the celtics are the fav. to win the whole thing....If it wasn't for garnett being hurt the celtics would of won the championship not the the lakers...but the lakers got lucky.....the celtics are going to be tough to beat adding sheed to the mix with a healthy garnett I see the celtics in the finals....hope the spurs are there too!!!!!!!!go spurs

You're not the only one perpetuating this myth, so I'm not singling you out, but that's just not true.

The only team that was going to beat the Cavs out of the East last year were the Magic. The Cavs took the Celtics of '08 to all of seven games without home-court advantage, and unlike the Celtics of '09, they actually significantly upgraded their roster; not to mention gained home-court throughout with the leagues best record.

Skip Bayless', my first and last time referring to a comment of his, rock-paper-scissors comment, in reference to the top three teams in the East last year, was probably one of the most intelligent things I've heard come out of his mouth.

Cavs > Celtics

Celtics > Magic

Magic > Cavs

The Lakers are the favorite but, maybe more than any recent time, the matchups could very well decide who brings home the title. Because if Boston faces LA in the Finals, Boston could take it home. But if they meet the Spurs, who play a similar style and are on par talent-wise, the Spurs could take it home.

The Lakers most likely beat any other team other than Boston in the Finals and The Spurs, while I'd favor against the C's, would pretty much be a toss-up against whatever of the three they'd face. --The only team of the three I've got somewhat of a feel for is the C's and although the Cavs have definitely improved, I'm not sure about a matchup with the Spurs. The Magic were a pretty bad matchup for the Spurs last year but the Carter trade could change that; for better or worse.

The bottom-line, at least imo, the title's got five potential suitors: Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Cavs and Magic. -- in no particular order.--

The Lakers are no doubt the favorite, but as they say in boxing, `Styles make fights.'

HarlemHeat37
09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Orlando is being slept on heavily IMO..

They really weren't killed by LA in the Finals..2 of their games were lost due to huge choke jobs..the Courney Lee missed floater + missed wide open alley oop that would have won the game..Dwight Howard missing both FTs when he only needed 1 to win the game..

They clearly upgraded with Carter over Turkoglu, no question there..they add a healthy all-star in Nelson..they added serious depth with Brandon Bass, Ryan Anderson, and Matt Barnes..they have the best defensive player in the NBA, and he should improve..

I wouldn't sleep on them at all..