PDA

View Full Version : The Top 10 Second-Round Picks Of The Last Decade

duncan228
09-07-2009, 02:35 PM
The top 10 second-round picks of the last decade (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-top-10-second-round-picks-of-the-last-decade;_ylt=AtqoBFho75NWqNjIQY9Z0xS8vLYF?urn=nba,1 87610)
By Kelly Dwyer
Ball Don't Lie

OK, we know the first decade of the 21st century doesn't really end until 2011. We think. But we also know there have been 10 full NBA seasons played since the phrase "Y2K" was on all of our lips (1999-2000), and here at Ball Don't Lie we've decided to use this as an offseason excuse to rank some of the best and not-so-brightest of the 10 campaigns in question. The result? Why, top 10 lists!

Drafting is an inexact science, save for the part where you're supposed to select the best player possible with the draft pick your team was assigned.

With that in mind, and with 10 2009-era drafts under our belt (and we considered the 2009 draft ... we swear!), here's our list of the 10 best players to come out of the second round over the last decade.

10. Luke Walton

Walton's all-around game, frontcourt versatility, and ability to pick up the triangle offense were a huge boon to the Lakers when they selected him 32nd overall in 2003. Career averages of 5.2 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 19 minutes a game aren't much, but the Lakers are quite happy with his output.

9. Marc Gasol

Some say it might be a bit much to offer up a big man with just one season under his belt on this list over a litany of well-meaning and solidly contributing NBA veterans who were taken beyond the first round. I say, "Did someone order a 7-footer with skills?" No? No? Of course you did.

Gasol eschewed the college ranks after going to high school in Memphis, only to see his stock drop a bit overseas before being taken 48th overall by the Lakers in 2007. When the Grizzlies traded his brother Pau to Los Angeles a year later, the city of Memphis regained his rights, and he debuted with the Grizzlies in 2008-09, averaging 12 points, 7.4 rebounds and a block in 31 minutes per game.

8. Anderson Varejao

People might be sick of his flop-happy ways by now, but Varejao is a minutes sponge in the frontcourt, and that's always a good thing to have. No real offensive moves, not a dominant rebounder, and his off-ball defense (taking those supposed "charges" and little else) isn't much, but he can ably play center and power forward for long stretches without hurting his team. This might seem like slim praise, but the 30th pick in the 2004 draft has carved out a solid, if annoying, niche in this league.

7. Trevor Ariza

Houston GM Daryl Morey seems to regard Ariza as an all-world defender, something I'm just not getting at this stage. He looks like an athletic, damn-good defender who can lock down when the focus is on him, but a Battier/Artest-type?

Either way, Ariza is in Houston's plans, which is something to carp about after being wasted by the Knicks (traded for Steve Francis in 2006), the Magic (dealt for Brian Cook, woof) and tossed aside by the Lakers (essentially switched out for Ron Artest this summer). The 43rd overall pick in the 2004 draft is only 24, as well.

6. Monta Ellis

After the Warriors selected him 40th overall in the 2005 draft, Ellis had to bide his time in his rookie year before bursting on the scene late in the season. The last of the great high school-to-pros products, Ellis is a hybrid guard with a scoring knack who has put up 16 points per game on 49 percent shooting in just 32 minutes a contest over his career with Golden State. He's also a great fan of the movie Quadrophenia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzLky4U-xCg), apparently.

5. Paul Millsap

I don't care what caliber of player he's banging bodies with, how 46 other potential draft'ers (including the Jazz) could pass on a 6-8, 250-pound forward who led the NCAA in rebounding for three consecutive seasons back in 2006 boggles the mind. We all should have known better, and Millsap set us straight with averages of 9.4 points and 6.4 rebounds in under 23 minutes a game over his first three seasons.

4. Mehmet Okur

We might get on Okur from time to time for the things he can't or won't do, such as consistently defending or scoring huge numbers from the low post, but when you factor in what Okur can do, you have an absolute steal with the 38th pick in the 2001 draft.

Factor in that touch from all over the court, his ability to spread the floor, his ability to put up near-All-Star level production at the league's toughest position (center) to find All-Star level production at and an underrated rebounding streak, and you've got a 6-11 big who is well worth your time.

3. Carlos Boozer

The Duke pedigree, the uneasy way he left Cleveland, the injuries that followed, the free-agent talk, picking up his player option and putting the Jazz over the luxury tax, the trade talk ... Boozer doesn't exactly have the NBA's largest fan base. The guy can play, though, and his status as the 34th overall pick in 2002 seems pretty laughable by now once you factor in his career averages of 17 points and 10 rebounds in only 32 minutes per game.

2. Michael Redd

The 43rd overall pick in the 2001 draft doesn't really do anything else outside of scoring - Redd's career averages of 4.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists are pretty slim - but this shooter can truly fill it up. His scoring average of 20.5 points per game might not seem like an all-world number until you also consider the 34 minutes-per-game mark on Redd's career, a result of not receiving (if not "earning") starter's minutes until his fourth season.

1. Gilbert Arenas

Almost right away, during a rookie year on an awful Golden State Warriors team, it was obvious that Arenas was a much, much better player than his status as the 31st overall pick in the 2001 draft suggested.

A man supposedly without a position on draft night is more or less in the same situation now, but that hasn't halted GA from averaging 22.8 points, 5.5 assists, 4.2 rebounds, and 1.8 steals over 37 minutes per game in a career looking to rebound after nearly two full seasons spent on the bench, recovering from knee ailments.

kamikazi_player
09-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd rather have Roger Mason, Eddie House, Steve Blake, or Leon Powe over Luke Walton.

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 03:14 PM
I so wished we could've held onto the other Gasol. Damn.

Walton finally showed up in the '09 Playoffs. Just needs to sustain it now.

Darthkiller
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
varejao better than gasol?

JamStone
09-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Luis Scola and Mo Williams ignored.

Other notables but not top 10 second rounders, although you could argue a few better than some on the list: Louis Williams, Andray Blatche, Eduardo Najera, Earl Watons, Matt Barnes, Ryan Gomes, Zaza Pachulia, Willie Green

angelbelow
09-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Luis Scola and Mo Williams ignored.

Other notables but not top 10 second rounders, although you could argue a few better than some on the list: Louis Williams, Andray Blatche, Eduardo Najera, Earl Watons, Matt Barnes, Ryan Gomes, Zaza Pachulia, Willie Green

yikes

Amaso
09-07-2009, 04:20 PM
wasnt ginobli a 2nd rounder?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-07-2009, 04:22 PM
^wtf why isn't he in the list?

DPG21920
09-07-2009, 04:23 PM
BC the list starts at the 2000 draft.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-07-2009, 04:24 PM
^touche

iggypop123
09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
read the damn article at least

BlackBellamy
09-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Is this person seriously paid to write sports related articles? This list is piss poor. Luke Walton and Marc(k) Gasol and you lost me. No Carl Landry... every Spurs fan's favorite longhair, Scola... no Fog Raw up in that shit? Really... :td.

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 07:54 PM
But, when this Dwyer character was camping out in the Laker's shit before they dropped Orlando everybody was singing his/her praises.

Just shows to go ya.

spursfan1000
09-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I could of sworn Ginobili was a 2nd rounder...

Cry Havoc
09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
I stopped reading this list at "Luke".

I mean, damn. That's some shitty reporting right there.

Hornets1
09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I could of sworn Ginobili was a 2nd rounder...

If you were able, like most, to read the other posts; maybe you could have saved yourself from being the 2nd person to realize it starts w/ the 2000 draft.

BTW, I just read the names on the list, and then read the following posts and learned that(It starts w/ the 02 draft)

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK 1 CONSCIOUS PERSON IN THIS WORLD THINKS LUKE WALTON>MANU? REALLY?

NickiRasgo
09-07-2009, 10:46 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3478354#post3478354

23LeBronJames23
09-07-2009, 10:59 PM
is this person seriously paid to write sports related articles? This list is piss poor. Luke walton and marc(k) gasol and you lost me. No carl landry... Every spurs fan's favorite longhair, scola... No fog raw up in that shit? Really... :td.

+1

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 11:03 PM
DO YOU HONESTLY THINK 1 CONSCIOUS PERSON IN THIS WORLD THINKS LUKE WALTON>MANU? REALLY?

That is the rank insecurity of Spurs Fandom rearing it's head. They're compelled.

Culburn369
09-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Phila=compelled.

Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cry Havoc
09-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Whats wrong with the statement that manu is the greatest second round pick ever?

Why are you responding to a troll?

j-money24
09-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Even though 2009-10 years is 1999 I guess 10 drafts have past since 1999. No biggie. Manu is easily the best second round pick ever. If he were drafted a 30 something that wouldn't be so bad because he might have had first round talent, but at the second to last pick in an entire draft? That is a steal.

:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Manu is easily the best second round pick ever.

You could make that argument, but Manu Ginobili definitely isn't easily better than Gilber Arenas.

Culburn369
09-08-2009, 03:56 AM
Why are you responding to a troll?

Because this troll caught him tip toeing thru the tulips. Though being compelled like he was, it's understandable.

tee, hee.

ambchang
09-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Whats wrong with the statement that manu is the greatest second round pick ever?

Because Alex English was a 2nd round pick.

ShoogarBear
09-08-2009, 08:55 AM
And Dennis Rodman.

GetNashty
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
How can this list have whack ass Luke Walton?

I can't believe that every website has to slurp a Laker just because he's a Laker.

Luke Walton is a straight up scrub. The only top 10 list he should make is top 10 overrated whack ass scrubs.

Xylus
09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Ginobili probably didn't make the list because he wasn't drafted in this decade.

Culburn369
09-08-2009, 12:41 PM
How can this list have whack ass Luke Walton?

I can't believe that every website has to slurp a Laker just because he's a Laker.

Luke Walton is a straight up scrub. The only top 10 list he should make is top 10 overrated whack ass scrubs.

Yer just bitter cuz you're O & 41.

will_spurs
09-08-2009, 10:04 PM
You could make that argument, but Manu Ginobili definitely isn't easily better than Gilber Arenas.

Well, they are both easily injured most of the time, but when they are not injured, Ginobili has easily three more rings than Arenas.

:lol

resistanze
09-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Good catch, forgot about him. Still I don't doubt that if manu were on a bad team and he was the first option night in and night out he could contend for a scoring title. I only say contend because he likely would have come in second to Kobe a few of those years.

He can't play those kind of minutes.

DisAsTerBot
09-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Because this troll caught him tip toeing thru the tulips. Though being compelled like he was, it's understandable.

tee, hee.

do you say anything original?

Culburn369
09-09-2009, 09:28 AM
do you say anything original?

Nope, I'm mighty static. I ain't everybody's cup of tea that's fer sure.

rjv
09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
blair will soon soar to the top of that list.