PDA

View Full Version : Ian Mahinmi Injured Again?!

ceperez
09-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Just saw the box score of the France - Germany match in 2009 Eurobasketball.

http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/cid_toT,ovGDH2EaLKL67XnPo2.gameID_6365-B-2-1.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2009.roundI D_6328.teamID_.html

Mahinmi plays a grand total of 4 minutes and does absolutely nothing.

Is the guy injured?

Bruno
09-08-2009, 08:54 AM
There is a thread about French NT where you can find news about... French NT.

Spurs Brazil
09-08-2009, 08:56 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3674310#post3674310

ceperez
09-08-2009, 09:34 AM
So what do we have here? Our two legitimate centers (Mahinmi and Ratliff) are made of glass?!!

Mel_13
09-08-2009, 09:36 AM
So what do we have here? Our two legitimate centers (Mahinmi and Ratliff) are made of glass?!!

Now you can start a thread telling us how Haislip is the answer to this problem.:wakeup

Bruno
09-08-2009, 09:36 AM

What about STFU, dumbass ?

mountainballer
09-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Now you can start a thread telling us how Haislip is the answer to this problem.:wakeup

I thought Troy Murphy is going to solve our Center issues.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I thought Troy Murphy is going to solve our Center issues.

No no that was DeSagana Diop, wasn't it?

hater
09-08-2009, 09:47 AM
if he is reallly badly injured he is a soft pussy and needs to stay in France

bigfan
09-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree, if Mahinmi is injured again its time we bite the bullet, admit we fucked up on the pick and shitcan his ass.

manu_maniac
09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I read that it's a hamstring strain that happened after he got a rebound. At least it wasn't an ankle, or I'd be calling him Mr. Glass as well. I don't think it's serious, but that's just speculation on my part.

Mel_13
09-08-2009, 09:57 AM
If Ian was injured on this play it is not because he is soft. I saw the play. He was leaping high for an offensive rebound and was undercut at the top of his leap and dropped straight down without a chance to really brace himself. It looked like a wide receiver going high for a reception and having his legs cut out from under him by a DB. It will really suck if he is not ready to go for camp, but it will not be proof that he is soft.

hater
09-08-2009, 09:59 AM
If Ian was injured on this play it is not because he is soft. I saw the play. He was leaping high for an offensive rebound and was undercut at the top of his leap and dropped straight down without a chance to really brace himself. It looked like a wide receiver going high for a reception and having his legs cut out from under him by a DB. It will really suck if he is not ready to go for camp, but it will not be proof that he is soft.

yes it is. His body is soft if if can't take some abuse. how many NBA minutes has dude played since he was drafted???? :bang

Now I will give him benefit of the doubt for now, but if turns out he is gonna miss some or all of the pre-season, he is truly and officially soft.

Mel_13
09-08-2009, 10:00 AM
yes it is. His body is soft if if can't take some abuse. how many NBA minutes has dude played since he was drafted???? :bang

Now I will give him benefit of the doubt for now, but if turns out he is gonna miss some or all of the pre-season, he is truly and officially soft.

OK, that's that.

ceperez
09-08-2009, 10:01 AM

Nope, he's our SF backup! ;-)

Mel_13
09-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Nope, he's our SF backup! ;-)

See, all this time I thought you were serious about that. Now I see it was all a joke.

ceperez
09-08-2009, 10:13 AM
See, all this time I thought you were serious about that. Now I see it was all a joke.

Dude! We aren't even in the preseason yet!

All talk here is all speculation!

Mel_13
09-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Dude! We aren't even in the preseason yet!

All talk here is all speculation!

Some informed speculation, some wild speculation...

Gervin44Silas13
09-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Cut him>>>hes a bust!!!!!!!!

ducks
09-08-2009, 10:49 AM
why cut him
he pulled a groin
most players do that once in their career

Dex
09-08-2009, 10:51 AM
:rolleyes

completely deck
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
why cut him
he pulled a groin
most players do that once in their career

He hasn't even played in the NBA yet...

Dex
09-08-2009, 11:24 AM
He hasn't even played in the NBA yet...

Because he can't even stay healthy enough to see an NBA court.

If the guy can't survive the rigors of Summer League, D-League, and International Play, he's not going to fare BETTER against stronger, tougher NBA defense. He's had his chances thus far, but has always been too injured to take advantage of them.

For the sake of the team, I'm pulling for him as much as anybody, but I still don't think this bodes well. It's not like this is the first time we've seen this...or the second...or the third.

manufan10
09-08-2009, 11:28 AM
We’ve spoken with Bouna Ndiaye, Ian Mahinmi’s agent, and can confirm that Mahinmi strained his hamstring during last night’s game against Germany. Mahinmi has undergone an MRI and both Les Bleus and the Spurs are awaiting the results. According to Ndiaye, Mahinmi’s injury is “nothing major,” and, although he will not play this evening against Latvia, hopefully he should be able to play again in a couple of days.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/09/08/ian-mahinmi-injured/

manu_maniac
09-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Why are people calling him soft for getting injured? This makes no sense. Also, a basketball game is a basketball game. There's always a chance of getting injured, no matter what level of play the competition is, so don't say he can't handle the dangers of an NBA game based on that.

boutons_deux
09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
not necessarily soft, just injury-prone, destroys/early-terminates many players' careers.

completely deck
09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Because he can't even stay healthy enough to see an NBA court.

Well that was my point. If he's getting his ass kicked in the semi-pro leagues, how the hell is he going to handle the NBA grind?

EricB
09-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Ooo the spurstalk doctors and gm experts are out again!!! Hazah!!!

DPG21920
09-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Ooo the spurstalk doctors and gm experts are out again!!! Hazah!!!

You are like a doll you can squeeze with 3 wacky phrases.

poop
09-08-2009, 01:02 PM
haha even Grant Hill looks like Cal ripkin jr compared to this guy. if i were him id stay inside a padded room at all times so as not to snap my bones.

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Why the fuck does everyone care about him? He sucks. He probably has no future in NBA or Euroleague level. He is like a Eurocup level player perhaps.

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Well that was my point. If he's getting his ass kicked in the semi-pro leagues, how the hell is he going to handle the NBA grind?

Tony Parker is also getting his ass kicked in the "semi pro league" so that means Parker can't even play semi pro ball.

BOHOLANO#21
09-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Tony Parker is also getting his ass kicked in the "semi pro league" so that means Parker can't even play semi pro ball.
KBP STFU. is there any GREEK dick in the NBA? your vaginitis , the greek great player didn't even stick his ass in NBA.:lol

hater
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
KBP STFU. is there any GREEK dick in the NBA? your vaginitis , the greek great player didn't even stick his ass in NBA.:lol

Vaginis Spanoulis has a dick?

rayray2k8
09-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I really want Mahinmi to break out of this injury bug funk that keeps getting him. It says he might play again in a few days, so I hope he can have 1 healthy season this year.

Johnson
09-08-2009, 02:15 PM
He hasn't even played in the NBA yet... I think he has. Didn't he play a few early season games a while back?

rjv
09-08-2009, 02:19 PM
do we actually have a story here? any facts? any information?

manufan10
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
do we actually have a story here? any facts? any information?

I posted a link on the first page, and his agent said it's nothing serious. Reports are that he will play tomorrow. He had an MRI done, but I haven't seen or heard the results.

rjv
09-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I posted a link on the first page, and his agent said it's nothing serious. Reports are that he will play tomorrow. He had an MRI done, but I haven't seen or heard the results.

okay-thanks

Gervin44Silas13
09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
I'll say it again........ CUT HIM!!!!!!

angelbelow
09-08-2009, 03:16 PM
can someone close this thread? fucking pointless

phxspurfan
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Some people are definitely clumsier than others. I have a buddy who we can't go through an entire softball practice with before he gets hit by something. Or go through an entire ski/boarding trip without hurting himself.

There's nothing the Spurs can do at this point but hold on to him and hope he doesn't find a way to get hurt again.

Macca76
09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Can we re-name the thread for Spurstrodamus and his haters friends : Mahinmi haters, it's time for lunch !

The guy had a minor injury and everyone already screams.
The man is nothing but a safe bet. He was getting drafted at the end of first round and he is getting paid less than JV last year.

Just STFU !

And you all make me laugh with all your "He's made of glass", did you see the fall ? It was quite impressive so I guess everyone could have been hurt.

And I bet no one would have the guts to say him in person.

Macca76
09-08-2009, 04:01 PM
[quote=Spurstrodamus;3675262]1) I'm aware it's said to be a minor injury, and I'm not going to be surprised when he sits out the entire year because of it... a la his ankle injury.

2) I would say it to his face, and if he swung on me I would just kick him in the ankle. He would be done for the year.

To answer to your two points :

1/ it won't be long to see that you're plain wrong. By the way, wasn't the ankle sprain a good old wrong diagnosis by Spurs doctors and once the pb found, wasn't the recovery rather good ? In other terms, couldn't he have played last year if the injury has been correctly diagnosed in the first place ?

2/ I can see that you have a good spirit. Do you also slap blind people ?

HarlemHeat37
09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
-It's a minor injury, irrelevant..I pulled something last week in practice too, I was fine the next day..

-He obviously is injury prone, no denying that..

-He can't be a bust considering his draft position and salary..what the fuck?..

tp2021
09-08-2009, 04:33 PM
When's the date they have to pick up his option? It doesn't bode well for him if he's injured when the deadline rolls around...

Mel_13
09-08-2009, 04:35 PM
When's the date they have to pick up his option? It doesn't bode well for him if he's injured when the deadline rolls around...

Oct 31

DPG21920
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Isn't that the same date for everyone with a team option?

Mel_13
09-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Isn't that the same date for everyone with a team option?

Yes, for 3rd and 4th year options on rookie contracts for first round picks.

iManu
09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I honestly don't want him to be an integral part of our team (come playoffs) if he can't stay on the court for at least 60 (more or so) STRAIGHT games.

If we implant Theo (whom is a class act) at that point, I feel a little frightened about our chances.

We need strength at the 4-5.

But, we have Blair and Dyess.

Mark it. :toast

all_heart
09-08-2009, 06:37 PM
mofo needs to learn how to stretch! :)
Perhaps when training camp starts the training staff can find a way to keep him healthy, if not ... oh well.

ceperez
09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
You know what puzzles me beyond his injuries...

it's the fact that the French team refuses to have him play enough minutes.

Anyone have an explanation for this?

The_Game
09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
that kid is garbage..can't believe so many of you have him in your depth chart thinking he can play decent minutes

DPG21920
09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Like Bruno said, he has been injured and he is young. They have other bigs that have been there (Turiaf, Noah, Petro, Diaw...) that have played ok for them. It is hard to break in. Plus, Ian has not played a ton of basketball lately and he is not good enough right now to just come in and take over.

I for one think he will do better in the NBA than he would in Europe.

EricB
09-08-2009, 09:42 PM
You are like a doll you can squeeze with 3 wacky phrases.

Your also the bearded Randy Quaid type at the Sports bar that grumbles loudly to everyone who can hear you and you think gives a shit your GM and coaching opinion.

But go ahead and throw your hands above your head and freak out over the guy pulling a muscle half a world away in September.

DPG21920
09-08-2009, 10:00 PM
That would be you sir. I am answering a question on Ian in this thread while defending him in the French NT thread, not freaking out over him. You don't even know what you are talking about anymore.

Go back and read, then plan your throw away lines accordingly. Otherwise you just look silly.

manu_maniac
09-09-2009, 12:33 AM
If anyone is going to be the next Amar'e, he should consider investing in a pair of goggles.

gospursgojas
09-09-2009, 01:53 AM
I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna just start thinking this guy will never play a game as a spur

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-09-2009, 02:30 AM
You know what puzzles me beyond his injuries...

it's the fact that the French team refuses to have him play enough minutes.

Anyone have an explanation for this?

He is a horrible defensive player. He is soft. He lacks skills.

bluebellmaniac
09-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Ian missed the bulk of last season because the docs misdiagnosed him. Is that his fault?

Of course not.

What happened to him with the sprain/pull/whatever sounds pretty minor. Relax. We'll see how it plays out, there's plenty of time. He's a big with a minuscule effect on the salary cap. His potential is still enormous and the downside is almost nothing. For those who want to cut him: Who are you going to replace him with at his salary? Who?

He's got my support until Pop decides that Ian ain't working out. Be a fan and believe in the guy until there is real cause to dump on him. Sounds to me like he's doing everything the Spurs are asking of him. Was it the same docs that misdiagnosed Ian that misdiagnosed Manu? Who's calling for Manu to be axed for the same reason? Uh yeah, exactly. Let's wait for concrete evidence ... I know it's hard to do when there is basically nothing going on and the smallest news is cause for over analysis, but be patient. All good things are worth waiting for.

Macca76
09-09-2009, 03:05 AM
ian missed the bulk of last season because the docs misdiagnosed him. Is that his fault?

Of course not.

What happened to him with the sprain/pull/whatever sounds pretty minor. Relax. We'll see how it plays out, there's plenty of time. He's a big with a minuscule effect on the salary cap. His potential is still enormous and the downside is almost nothing. For those who want to cut him: Who are you going to replace him with at his salary? Who?

He's got my support until pop decides that ian ain't working out. be a fan and believe in the guy until there is real cause to dump on him. sounds to me like he's doing everything the spurs are asking of him. Was it the same docs that misdiagnosed ian that misdiagnosed manu? Who's calling for manu to be axed for the same reason? Uh yeah, exactly. Let's wait for concrete evidence ... I know it's hard to do when there is basically nothing going on and the smallest news is cause for over analysis, but be patient. All good things are worth waiting for.

+ 1

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-09-2009, 03:10 AM
Like Bruno said, he has been injured and he is young. They have other bigs that have been there (Turiaf, Noah, Petro, Diaw...) that have played ok for them. It is hard to break in. Plus, Ian has not played a ton of basketball lately and he is not good enough right now to just come in and take over.

I for one think he will do better in the NBA than he would in Europe.

You are probably right he is better for NBA than Europe because he lacks skills. But this guy is big and very athletic and yet he plays no defense. I do not see why in the first place Spurs even drafted him.

Limguogolo
09-09-2009, 03:12 AM
I just can't imagine if Parker had sneezed...

"Parker is badly ill. It is certainly the swine flu. Damn non civilized Europe...
- Yeah. Trade his ass.
- So what PG do we need? What do you think about d-will?
- Our point guard doesn't give enough assists.
- It's because he plays with TD and Gino.
- No it's not...
- Is there a link, some information about that?
- Parker said he's ok.
- Trade his ass.
- We need Chris Paul.
- I saw him sneezing once. It was scary.
- It's a pig, he got swine flu... trade him.
- Spanoulis has sneezed just in front of Parker in 2007.
- Can you prove it?
- Paul has never sneezed.
- And he makes 12 assists per game.
- Can you prove it?
- I saw him share the bread.
- D-will walks on water.
- And what do you think about Ginobili at pg?
- The glass key can found the glass lock in the paint...."

duncan228
09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Mahinmi still nursing hamstring (UPDATE: Or hip contusion) (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/09/mahinmi-still-n.html)
By Jeff McDonald

The bad luck continues for Ian Mahinmi.

Mahinmi, the star-crossed Spurs center, sat out his second consecutive game at Eurobasket while nursing a strained hamstring. He watched from the sidelines as Spurs teammate Tony Parker, Boris Diaw and Ronny Turiaf engineered a 69-64 victory for France over defending-champion Russia.

With the victory, Les Bleus complete pool play a perfect 3-0.

Mahinmi apparently injured his hamstring during a four-minute stint in Monday's victory over Germany. He did not play in Tuesday's victory over Latvia.

The injury is not considered serious, and Mahinmi is expected to be ready for the start of what should be a critical Spurs training camp for him at the end of the month.

Parker had 17 points and three assists, but Diaw and Turiaf did most of the scoring at the end of the victory. Diaw had 19 points, seven rebounds and seven assists, while Turiaf had 18 points and 14 rebounds.

France next plays in the qualifying round on Friday, most likely against Macedonia, which is 1-2 so far in the tournament.

UPDATE: The Spurs are calling Mahinmi's injury a left hip contusion. He has been cleared to resume playing for France, and is considered day-to-day for Eurobasket.

HarlemHeat37
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
You're totally missing the boat here. Of course he can't be a bust by his draft position or salary. He is a bust because people were talking about this guy... saying shit like "he could be the next Amare Stoudemire", and putting him in the starting line-up in mock line-ups. Absolutely laughable.

Nobody with any basketball knowledge would compare him to Amare Stoudemire, and nobody would put him in the starting lineup without admitting to serious bias..

I think you'r reaching b..

BadMoodBob
09-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna just start thinking this guy will never play a game as a spur

I hit that point years ago.

anakha
09-10-2009, 08:00 AM
I like making ridiculous statements and don't even have the balls to back them up.

DaBears
09-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I think the point of many SPURSTALKS POSTERS is; when is it time to say "Enough is enough and cut your losses". This is a business right, and if you dont produce or preform then you get let go... Right.... Spurs are paying money to this guy even if its chump change compared to the other players salary.. I would say this young man has gotten many chances to produce but something always comes up. Granted he is still young but what has he shown that proves he should be keep on the roster and being paid.... I can assume that there are others out there that would love to prove they have what it takes & can contribute in more ways than Ian Mahani has.... I'm Not jumping off the wagon on this young man but from a business stand point you have to know when its time too cut your losses.

bluebellmaniac
09-10-2009, 01:13 PM
The Spurs should "cut their losses"????

He's been okay'd to keep playing by the Spurs. Training camp hasn't even started. Why would you cut someone when he is physically okay to play and training camp hasn't started? Who are you planning to replace him with at that salary?

I know we are all anxious for training camp to start and real news to start arriving, but come on, now we are calling on players to be cut so as to "cut our losses" when they are physically okay to play and we are still over a month away from the start of training camp? Really???????

DaBears
09-10-2009, 03:07 PM
The Spurs should "cut their losses"????

He's been okay'd to keep playing by the Spurs. Training camp hasn't even started. Why would you cut someone when he is physically okay to play and training camp hasn't started? Who are you planning to replace him with at that salary?

I know we are all anxious for training camp to start and real news to start arriving, but come on, now we are calling on players to be cut so as to "cut our losses" when they are physically okay to play and we are still over a month away from the start of training camp? Really???????

Its not about when season starts preseason or if its the summer league. Fact of the matter is that he again is sidelined with another injury. He is injury prone, as much as i hate to say it let alone see it happen again, i'm willing to go on a limb and say he will miss time at the begining of the season for it, then the cycle of him being shipped back to the DLeague only to get injured again..... miss the remainder of the regular season to nurse is body. "The man is not soft, just injury prone" Happens all the time in this league but other teams just there losses.....

Macca76
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Its not about when season starts preseason or if its the summer league. Fact of the matter is that he again is sidelined with another injury. He is injury prone, as much as i hate to say it let alone see it happen again, i'm willing to go on a limb and say he will miss time at the begining of the season for it, then the cycle of him being shipped back to the DLeague only to get injured again..... miss the remainder of the regular season to nurse is body. "The man is not soft, just injury prone" Happens all the time in this league but other teams just there losses.....

I completely agree with bluebellmaniac.
Ian has only missed two French NTgames (two games in two days) and is considered day to day. It's a minor injury

WTF is going on here ?

If he hasn't played with with French NT and had the same very minor injury in SA, no one would have ever heard of it.

Let's wait for training camp and for the season to begin and we'll see what Ian has to offer. Before this, all of this "Enough is enough" is based on nothing but pure nonsense.

bluebellmaniac
09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Hmmmm. Patience is all I can practice here.

Ian and Manu were both misdiagnosed by the team doctor(s). Had they been properly diagnosed and treated they would (probably) have both been in playing health last season in time for the playoffs. No one here is asking for the doctor(s) head, but yet the players are to blame?

Sorry, but I just don't understand the logic being shown here. Manu and Ian were misdiagnosed. Again: Misdiagnosed and thus did not receive the treatment that would have brought them back to full health. How does that make either of them injury prone, made of glass, or worth "cutting our losses" over?

Training camp is a month away. There will be plenty of things we will see then to criticize everyone over. But please wait until we have actual concrete evidence of a shortcoming.

manufan10
09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I don't feel like reading through all 3 pages, but is Ian going to be fine for training camp at the end of the month?

He's day to day, so he should be.

duncan228
09-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Here you go Phila_Chamberlain. From yesterday.

Mahinmi still nursing hamstring (UPDATE: Or hip contusion) (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/)
By Jeff McDonald

The bad luck continues for Ian Mahinmi.

Mahinmi, the star-crossed Spurs center, sat out his second consecutive game at Eurobasket while nursing a strained hamstring. He watched from the sidelines as Spurs teammate Tony Parker, Boris Diaw and Ronny Turiaf engineered a 69-64 victory for France over defending-champion Russia.

With the victory, Les Bleus complete pool play a perfect 3-0.

Mahinmi apparently injured his hamstring during a four-minute stint in Monday's victory over Germany. He did not play in Tuesday's victory over Latvia.

The injury is not considered serious, and Mahinmi is expected to be ready for the start of what should be a critical Spurs training camp for him at the end of the month.

Parker had 17 points and three assists, but Diaw and Turiaf did most of the scoring at the end of the victory. Diaw had 19 points, seven rebounds and seven assists, while Turiaf had 18 points and 14 rebounds.

France next plays in the qualifying round on Friday, most likely against Macedonia, which is 1-2 so far in the tournament.

UPDATE: The Spurs are calling Mahinmi's injury a left hip contusion. He has been cleared to resume playing for France, and is considered day-to-day for Eurobasket.

tlongII
09-11-2009, 12:18 AM
lol Mahinmi. :lmao

DPG21920
09-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Quit setting people up tlong. I see right through it.

ManuTP9
09-11-2009, 12:21 AM

http://i27.tinypic.com/ea1kit.jpg

DPG21920
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM

Quit setting people up tlong. I see right through it.

http://i27.tinypic.com/ea1kit.jpg

whottt
09-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Thank you. It's good to hear he'll be fine. I would hate to see the same thing that happened to Beno happen to Ian. Beno would have been a good player for us but he was always hurt in training camp when Pop looks at who will be in his rotation.

Beno could not bring the ball up the court, he slacked and he was injury prone...but what really got him run was when he badmouthed the Spurs.

Good riddance.

45 bank shot
09-11-2009, 07:52 AM
hopefully he'll become healthy and at least stay that way till training camp

ginobili fan
09-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I was expecting a lot about this kid...
I saw him in FNT at the Euro man, he's raw really raw he doen't have hope in NBA.

Darkwaters
09-18-2009, 12:49 PM
You don't "dump" a player like Mahinmi. Thats just foolish. Hes making small-time money (a little over a million a year) and is just as good (probably much better actually) than the vast majority of any prospects we could hope to replace him with. You don't dump a player with potential and a small paycheck. We dumped Jackie Butler a few years ago, but we had already assessed his potential to be minimal and his multi-year contract to be too much. Not the same situation as Mahinmi.

Now, trading Mahinmi for more talent would be something to consider - and anybody that says otherwise is just being overly protective of their loves or pet projects. Now, I don't know that the Spurs are out looking for anything in particular, but if they were and that team was interested in Ian I think they'd have no problem parting way for the right price. But you don't "DUMP" a player like him. Thats just asinine.

ginobili fan
09-18-2009, 01:04 PM
You don't "dump" a player like Mahinmi. Thats just foolish. Hes making small-time money (a little over a million a year) and is just as good (probably much better actually) than the vast majority of any prospects we could hope to replace him with. You don't dump a player with potential and a small paycheck. We dumped Jackie Butler a few years ago, but we had already assessed his potential to be minimal and his multi-year contract to be too much. Not the same situation as Mahinmi.

Now, trading Mahinmi for more talent would be something to consider - and anybody that says otherwise is just being overly protective of their loves or pet projects. Now, I don't know that the Spurs are out looking for anything in particular, but if they were and that team was interested in Ian I think they'd have no problem parting way for the right price. But you don't "DUMP" a player like him. Thats just asinine.

I really understand what you mean and I always thought in your way and considered foolish posters who wanted to trow Ian away.
But I saw him playing against a mediocre team at Euro basket maybe it was a very little playing time but honestly the first thing that came in my mind was: "All this thing for that?".
Then I understand FNT coach who didn't want to keep him in the team.
I mean it just isn't a "look" you get from a player with potential and with all those attention.
Then maybe I should rectificate: He is clearly really far from being NBA ready right now. And if he wants to show his "potential" he needs to get a Body first, and work very very very hard still. Wich is or was difficult with his injuries.

TimDunkem
09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
No, Beno was a hard worker, Pop was just really hard on him. Like too hard on him. He was not that inury prone except for training camp and i don't remeber hearing him bad mouth the Spurs.
Someone said this before, and I even asked what was it that Beno said exactly, but no one could give me an answer.

EricB
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
No, Beno was a hard worker, Pop was just really hard on him. Like too hard on him. He was not that inury prone except for training camp and i don't remeber hearing him bad mouth the Spurs.

He was a hardworker?

His stomach showed otherwise.

wildbill2u
09-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Someone said this before, and I even asked what was it that Beno said exactly, but no one could give me an answer.

he said, "Pop really loves Hearty Gallo and serves it all the time at his house."

EricB
09-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I had sources close to Beno tell me that he lifted, ran and worked on his game every day the offseason before the Spurs traded him. He would have impressed the Spurs had he not been hurt coming into training camp. If I am not mistaken he had three or four 30 points and 10 assists game the first half season in the NBA. That is hard for any player to do. Even if he only averaged 10 and 5 every other night there are few point guards that have the ability to score and pass like that. Sure it won't happen every night, but Beno has a better chance to do that than Mario Chalmers at this point.

I'm sorry but the guy was always noticeably out of shape and his inability to handle a full court press was disgusting.

anakha
09-18-2009, 09:44 PM
No, Beno was a hard worker, Pop was just really hard on him. Like too hard on him.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79357&highlight=udrih+interview

Beno gets a finger injury and says he can't run because of it...

i don't remeber hearing him bad mouth the Spurs.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75782&highlight=udrih+interview

Beno states that discrimination is the reason he's not getting any playing time...

gospursgojas
09-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Lindsey Hunter = Beno's worst nightmare.

That bad

TDMVPDPOY
09-18-2009, 11:47 PM
doesnt beno have 2 rings?

EricB
09-19-2009, 01:22 AM
doesnt beno have 2 rings?

Jack Haley has 3.

Big fucking whoop.

anakha
09-19-2009, 09:09 AM
The first question was an example of Pop being hard on Beno. The second question was no discrimination from Pop, but from the NBA in general. I kind of agree too. The american media is hyped about players in college that if Beno Udrih is selected ahead of hot shot guard from the NCAA then even we say something about it. How many Spurs fans were happy when the Spurs drafted Tony Parker over college players? When we drafted Goron Dragic people were pissed. Darko gets drafted second overall to the Pistons, Larry Brown doesn't play a rookie many minutes in a rotation that has Ben Wallace and Sheed starting and people say bad things about Darko. It really isn't Darko's fault he was drafted onto a good team.

Back in 2007 I wouldn't say there was discrimination against players from overseas, but they were watched a lot closer and if they made a mistake it was their ass. I remember ESPN being all over players like Rasho.

1) Beno gave the 'discrimination' statement as a response to a question why he specifically was benched, which implies he meant that statement as much, if not more, about the Spurs than it was the NBA. You can't insist that that statement was meant strictly in general terms given the context of the question.

2) Back in 2006-2007, there were several interviews with Beno and the Spurs coaching staff that stated the following points:

a) After Beno was drafted, it took him 2 years to realize that he needed to keep working on his game.
b) When the Spurs told him to work on his shot in 2006, he basically said "I've never had to work on my shot, I don't know why I have to start now".
c) The Spurs coaching staff have said that they tried several tactics to keep Beno motivated, from yelling, to leaving him on his own. But according to them, they mostly babied him - and that Parker got far more abuse from Pop than Beno did.

ceperez
09-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Looks like he's healthy again.

http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/cid_toT,ovGDH2EaLKL67XnPo2.gameID_6372-52-A-1.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2009.roundI D_6328.teamID_.html#{AC75451A-1EF2-4B97-B1F2-CBFD29002FFF}

6 points (50% shooting) in 19 minutes of play.

Freeze
09-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Looks like he's healthy again.

http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/cid_toT,ovGDH2EaLKL67XnPo2.gameID_6372-52-A-1.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2009.roundI D_6328.teamID_.html#{AC75451A-1EF2-4B97-B1F2-CBFD29002FFF}

6 points (50% shooting) in 19 minutes of play.

I can't wait to see him in preseason !!!!

:flag: