PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Magic number?

HB22inSA
04-11-2005, 03:18 PM
The Spurs' magic number to clinch the Division is 2 if I'm not mistaken, any combination of Spurs wins and Dallas losses.

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2005, 03:25 PM
It's actually 1. Any win by the Spurs or loss by the Mavericks gives the Spurs the division. The Spurs are 4 up in the loss column with 5 games to go. They hold the tiebreaker. If they win one of the 5 remaining games, the best Dallas can do is tie. A tie does the Mavericks no good, since the Spurs have the tiebreaker. So, one Spurs win and it's over.

Go Grizzlies.

HB22inSA
04-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Yes, I see that now, you are correct.

So the Spurs can wrap up the division tonight if Dallas loses or with a win tomorrow at home against Portland.

BigVee
04-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Correct, then it is everyone to the hospital for the IV hook-ups until the 23rd.

MadDog73
04-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Correct, then it is everyone to the hospital for the IV hook-ups until the 23rd.

What, give up on trying for number 1 seed? :king

Jimcs50
04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
What, give up on trying for number 1 seed? :king

Fuck the number 1 seed.

We have already ascertained that the 1 seed is a horrible road to the Finals.

From the 1 seed, the likely road would be 1.Memphis, 2. Dallas, then 3. Phoenix

That sucks.

Much better from the 2 spot:

Rd 1 Houston or Sacto, then 2. Seattle or Denver, then 3. Dallas or Phoenix

This way we play Phoenix OR Dallas not both.

baseline bum
04-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Getting the #1 seed is important. This team is dependant on home court moreso than any team I can ever remember from the Duncan era.

MadDog73
04-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Fuck the number 1 seed.

We have already ascertained that the 1 seed is a horrible road to the Finals.

From the 1 seed, the likely road would be 1.Memphis, 2. Dallas, then 3. Phoenix

That sucks.

Much better from the 2 spot:

Rd 1 Houston or Sacto, then 2. Seattle or Denver, then 3. Dallas or Phoenix

This way we play Phoenix OR Dallas not both.

What?!? You'd rather face the Nuggets, Rockets, then Suns?

Get the Number 1 seed and hopefully avoid the Rockets and Nuggets.

But it doesn't really matter. The Spurs aren't going to drop any games on purpose, and with the schedule remaining, odds are we WILL capture the Number 1 spot, whether you like it or not!

EDIT: Wishful thinking the Kings are going to fall to 7th seed. So, who would you rather face in the first round: the Grizzlies, the Rockets or the Nuggets?

Anyone but the Nuggets is my take.

BigVee
04-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Forget the #1 seed. Rest the key players. With a banged up Manu, fatigued RH, and a center and PF with questionable ankles, the Spurs won't get out of the first round.

ALVAREZ6
04-11-2005, 04:39 PM
I hope they can reach #1 just for the fact of coming in 1st in the west.

I really don't give a shit who the Spurs play in the playoffs, cus we're going all the way !!!!

MadDog73
04-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Forget the #1 seed. Rest the key players. With a banged up Manu, fatigued RH, and a center and PF with questionable ankles, the Spurs won't get out of the first round.

I agree. But we don't need Manu or Tim to beat frickin' Utah or Portland!

And by the time the Grizzlies arrive, we will (hopefully) have Duncan back. And he NEEDS to play, to get back in the groove before the playoffs.

boutons
04-11-2005, 04:50 PM
I think NBA #1 is worth fighting for, and Tony said that's what they want to get. Although Pop will say: "we have to play everybody anyway", I'm sure he'd like HCA all the way as much as anybody.

vs. EC champs, we have no problem having HCA over Pistons, but Heat are just one game behind Spurs.

I'm not saying take any risks by rushing Tim back early, or pushing Manu too hard.

Jimcs50
04-11-2005, 05:10 PM
What?!? You'd rather face the Nuggets, Rockets, then Suns?

Get the Number 1 seed and hopefully avoid the Rockets and Nuggets.

But it doesn't really matter. The Spurs aren't going to drop any games on purpose, and with the schedule remaining, odds are we WILL capture the Number 1 spot, whether you like it or not!

EDIT: Wishful thinking the Kings are going to fall to 7th seed. So, who would you rather face in the first round: the Grizzlies, the Rockets or the Nuggets?

Anyone but the Nuggets is my take.

From the 2 seed we will not get Denver. Denver will be 5 seed, they will play Dallas.

I would much rather play Sacto or Houston over Denver is rd 1.

Let Dallas play Denver in rd 1 then have to play the #1 seeded Phoenix, then we get a Dallas team that had to go 14 games(Two 7 game series) probably to get to rd 3.

Houston is in a nose dive w/o Howard, they have not played well at all the past few weeks, losing to us, New Orleans, Phoenix and GoldenState.

That is the easiest road.

Jimcs50
04-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Getting the #1 seed is important. This team is dependant on home court moreso than any team I can ever remember from the Duncan era.

Not when healthy. 80% of their road losses have been with either TD or Manu out.