PDA

View Full Version : Tribute To Bowen From Cal State Fullerton Paper

duncan228
09-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Bowen will be inducted into the Cal State Fullerton Hall of Fame October 10.

Bruce Bowen played four seasons at Cal State Fullerton. He appeared in 101 games, averaging 11.4 points and 5.8 rebounds. Although he was selected to the All-Big West Conference first team in his senior season in 1992-93, Bowen, a skinny and unheralded forward, was not drafted by an NBA team.

Think Different. Think Simon (http://www.dailytitan.com/2009/09/think-different-think-simon-2/).
By Simon Liang
Daily Titan Assistant Sports Editor

Former Cal State Fullerton basketball great Bruce Bowen retired from the National Basketball Association last week.

From 1989-93, Bowen was a star for the Titans, and left ranked the top 10 all time in both rebounds and blocked shots. His specialty was doing the little things to win; he was never flashy or exuberant, just highly effective.

He might not have been a superstar, but he was one of the best perimeter defenders in the last decade. It is remarkable considering he went un-drafted in the 1993 NBA Draft.

Bowen was a journeyman who bounced around the international basketball scene before he made his NBA debut with the Miami Heat in 1997. He also went on to play for the Boston Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers and San Antonio Spurs.

His most famous stint was also his longest. His run with Tim Duncan and the Spurs was extremely memorable for many Los Angeles fans because the Spurs would always face the Lakers in the playoffs year after year.

Always being assigned the opposing team’s best player is a daunting task, but Bowen was always up for the task. Whether it was Kobe Bryant or Vince Carter, he did not let up. He was hard-nosed and pesky.

However, his defensive mechanisms have not always come without controversy. Bowen was constantly labeled as a dirty player. But what does that even mean?

To me, a dirty player has the intent on hurting another player, one who never admits wrong doing. A dirty player has no conscience or regard for other players’ well-being.

OK, I don’t think that Bowen fits that criteria. We all know that he kicked Wally Szczerbiak, Ray Allen and Chris Paul. He was promptly fined for that. He was out of line, but it was in the heat of the moment, so one can’t be too angry.

It’s clear that Bowen was definitely not the cleanest player in the league, but his style of play was just misinterpreted. His effort on the defensive end was second to none.

His nickname “Edward Scissorhands” was not a joke.

He made eight NBA All-Defensive teams. His world class defense was outstanding as he helped the Spurs win three NBA Championships.

Duncan and Tony Parker were the superstars on that team, no doubt, but Bowen was the most important piece of the puzzle. His lockdown ‘D’ on numerous players who could take over a game by themselves was crucial.

With the announcement of his retirement, many players can now let out a sigh of relief because they will no longer be pestered when they try to score.

Jump shooters will no longer have to worry about where they are going to land. Slashers will no longer have to worry about getting pushed around.

Nowadays, every player wants to take all the glory and score the most points. Gone are the days of the reliable defender who doesn’t care about his statistics but more about wins and losses.

Being a lifelong Lakers fan, I had hatred for Bowen and his physical defense. However, as a fan of all things basketball, I can look back on his career and appreciate what he has brought to the game.

Bowen will be missed; he is an inspiration to many. He showed that if you give it your all, you can succeed at anything you set your mind to.

In the end, Bowen is a Titan, so it makes him one of us. We all have blue and orange pumping through our veins.

BadMoodBob
09-09-2009, 03:37 PM
It just won't be the same without Bruce.

Agloco
09-09-2009, 03:42 PM
:toast

Crookshanks
09-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm really going to miss Bruce - he's one of my all-time favorite Spurs.

SouthTexasRancher
09-09-2009, 11:11 PM
That was a really good article considering it came from a Laker fan. I think Kobe Bryant has always given Bruce the ultimate compliment when he says that Bruce was his toughest defender and that Bruce always made him work even harder. Kobe also has said several times that Bruce was not a dirty player.

I still wish that Pop & RC would hire him as an assistant coach to help teach all our young guys how to play 'D' and how to think 'D' at all times. And yes, Bruce's jersey should be hung up in the AT&T Center. His lockdown defense did make a difference in our Championship runs...a very BIG difference!

tp2021
09-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm really going to miss Bruce - he's one of my all-time favorite Spurs.

+12
+:lobt::lobt::lobt: