PDA

View Full Version : Hornets acquire Brown, Songaila for Antonio Daniels

Mel_13
09-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Hornets acquire Brown, Songaila
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 27 minutes ago

The New Orleans Hornets have traded Antonio Daniels(notes) and a future second-round draft pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Bobby Brown(notes) and Darius Songaila(notes), a league source told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday afternoon.

The trade removes about $1.3 million off the Hornets’ payroll. Brown played well for New Orleans in the 2008 Las Vegas summer league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnESzUlPjjL283rwJXjl0Ke8vLYF?slug=aw-hornetstrade090909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Hornets1
09-09-2009, 04:57 PM
YES! AD is off the books. I wish him nothing but the best. He's truly a class-act, but his game never came around in nola. Should be a good influence on Flynn.

I'd rather have brown as our 3rd PG anyway, and Songaila adds to our frontcourt depth, which we actually now have. Saves money and improves our team. Though fairly insignificant, it was a winner of a deal by Bower.

BRHornet45
09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
wow sons we got another whitey on the team now ... that's Peja, Marks, and Songaila. Utah White Jazz and Indiana Pacers look out! we catching up with the honkies!!!

Ghazi
09-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Pretty good offseason for the Hornets. It's not easy to build a contender around a 6 foot PG who vanishes/quits in the playoffs, doesn't play defense, and routinely gets outplayed head to head by the other elite PG's in this league, but their FO is trying their hardest to do so as to appease a bandwagon ungrateful fan base.

50 wins, 1st round exit, I think a 3 YO fan can live with that.

Amaso
09-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Pretty good offseason for the Hornets. It's not easy to build a contender around a 6 foot PG who vanishes/quits in the playoffs, doesn't play defense, and routinely gets outplayed head to head by the other elite PG's in this league, but their FO is trying their hardest to do so as to appease a bandwagon ungrateful fan base.

great post lol

Hornets1
09-09-2009, 05:44 PM

More great insight from Ghazi:whine

Must suck for this 6 ft PG who quits in the PO, doesn't play D, and routinely gets outplayed by other PG's to own your team, eh?

You can continue to live through the nuggets(lol 121-63) or the Spurs(pargo 13 4th quarter shots); which makes your sad existence even sadder, or you can accept the fact the we have beaten the mavs 7 of the last 9 times, mostly b/c ungodly stats and embarressing Kidd(understatement)by CP3.

Either way, your still a douchebag.

BRHornet45
09-09-2009, 05:46 PM
More great insight from Ghazi:whine

Must suck for this 6 ft PG who quits in the PO, doesn't play D, and routinely gets outplayed by other PG's to own your team, eh?

You can continue to live through the nuggets(lol 121-63) or the Spurs(pargo 13 4th quarter shots); which makes your sad existence even sadder, or you can accept the fact the we have beaten the mavs 7 of the last 9 times, mostly b/c ungodly stats and embarressing Kidd(understatement)by CP3.

Either way, your still a douchebag.

son he has trouble accepting the fact that the Hornets easily own the Mavericks now. its even more harder for him to accept the fact that his wife's favorite boy toy Tyson Chandler was traded to Charlotte ... oh well, I guess she will have to start sleeping with Devin Brown now.

TD 21
09-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I like what the Hornets have done this off season, but they're still undersized up front, and have quite possibly the worst group of wings in the league. Nontheless, the front office took an aging roster with a lot of dead weight and added a cadre of young bench players who should improve the team's depth. I predict the Hornets will finish 6th in the West.

Starters: PF- West, SF- Stojakovic, C- Okafor, SG- Wright, PG- Paul

Bench: SF- Posey, PG- Collison, C- Armstrong, SG- Thornton, PF- Diogu, SF/SG- Peterson, PF- Songaila

Inactive: PF/C- Marks, SG/SF- Brown, PG- Brown

Stojakovic may move to the bench, with Posey taking his place as the starting SF.

BRHornet45
09-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Stojakovic may move to the bench, with Posey taking his place as the starting SF.

son Posey will never start. both Byron Scott and Posey have mentioned many times that he prefers coming off of the bench and he plays better that way. If anything, Wright would start in Peja's spot.

TD 21
09-09-2009, 07:26 PM
son Posey will never start. both Byron Scott and Posey have mentioned many times that he prefers coming off of the bench and he plays better that way. If anything, Wright would start in Peja's spot.

Son? I've heard the "I prefer coming off the bench" talk before from players, and it never hold true (Ariza, and McDyess are examples), you know why? Because if a coach see's that the best thing for his team is starting a certain player, then that player is starting, no question's asked.

Wright is the likely replacement starter for the departed Butler. Peterson was in Scott's dog house last season, so I doubt he starts, and having both Posey and Stojakovic off the bench would be foolish, since they're the two best wings on the team. Both are SF's, so unless Posey plays PF in a small ball alignment, they wouldn't see enough minutes on the court if neither were starting.

polysylab1k
09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
wow sons we got another whitey on the team now ... that's Peja, Marks, and Songaila. Utah White Jazz and Indiana Pacers look out! we catching up with the honkies!!!
Son the Hornets still have got a long way to go to outnumber the Mavs who have calculable 3.5 white players on squad in Dirk, JJB, Caroll and Jason Kidd who is counted as a half.

loveforthegame
09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
The Hornets have done a nice job this off season. Songalia brings a little toughness inside and can hit the mid range jumper. Brown is a nice 3rd pg option but it's a shame he couldn't find a team where he'd get more minutes.

BRHornet45
09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Son? I've heard the "I prefer coming off the bench" talk before from players, and it never hold true (Ariza, and McDyess are examples), you know why? Because if a coach see's that the best thing for his team is starting a certain player, then that player is starting, no question's asked.

Wright is the likely replacement starter for the departed Butler. Peterson was in Scott's dog house last season, so I doubt he starts, and having both Posey and Stojakovic off the bench would be foolish, since they're the two best wings on the team. Both are SF's, so unless Posey plays PF in a small ball alignment, they wouldn't see enough minutes on the court if neither were starting.

son no ... Morris Peterson will be starting at the SG. I highly doubt they are going to let Wright play SG, but we will see..... I am hoping they limit Peja's minutes to about 20-22 per game and just let him come in for maybe 4-6 minutes at a time ... if he doesn't get "hot", then take him the fuck out because he is useless then.

BRHornet45
09-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Son the Hornets still have got a long way to go to outnumber the Mavs who have calculable 3.5 white players on squad in Dirk, JJB, Caroll and Jason Kidd who is counted as a half.

son that is true. we are still pretty far off ... however, isn't Erick Dampier an "honorary" white man?

crc21209
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Ehh...not a HUGE move or anything.

redzero
09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Ehh...not a HUGE move or anything.

What? I already ordered my "New Orleans Hornets 2009-2010 NBA Champions" shirt and cap.

crc21209
09-09-2009, 08:02 PM
What? I already ordered my "New Orleans Hornets 2009-2010 NBA Champions shirt and cap."

:lol Nice one.

TD 21
09-09-2009, 08:09 PM
son no ... Morris Peterson will be starting at the SG. I highly doubt they are going to let Wright play SG, but we will see..... I am hoping they limit Peja's minutes to about 20-22 per game and just let him come in for maybe 4-6 minutes at a time ... if he doesn't get "hot", then take him the fuck out because he is useless then.

I've heard that Wright will be used more, possibly in a starting role. Haven't heard a single thing about Peterson being used more, or in a starting role. Wright is a SF/PF, but the Hornets don't have a legit starting option at SG anyway. Chandler is a SF/PF who starts at SG for the Knicks; they too don't have a legit starting option at SG. Stojakovic may be useless unless his shot is falling, but it's not like this team has a bunch of better options on the wings.

sribb43
09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Gooden or Thomas>>>>> Darius

BRHornet45
09-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I've heard that Wright will be used more, possibly in a starting role. Haven't heard a single thing about Peterson being used more, or in a starting role. Wright is a SF/PF, but the Hornets don't have a legit starting option at SG anyway. Chandler is a SF/PF who starts at SG for the Knicks; they too don't have a legit starting option at SG. Stojakovic may be useless unless his shot is falling, but it's not like this team has a bunch of better options on the wings.

son it will definitely be a year of rotating players in and out of the SG spot ... I am pretty sure that Peterson will get the start though with Wright starting at the SF. however I see Peterson, Posey, and Thornton all getting playing time at SG.

This will be Wright's "make or break" season in my opinion. I'm not saying that he will be a star or anything, but he has a lot of potential. The problem has been that Byron Scott has never allowed him to play much over his first two seasons. The moment he makes a mistake, Scott pulls him.

Hornets1
09-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Agree w/ everyone who says we lack a true wing. We're good at the 3 w/ Wright, Peja, and Posey. The One thing our roster needs is a slashing 2 guard who can create his own shot and run the break if need be. If we had Roy; the title would be ours!

*Note: The end is completely a hypothetical

BTW, BR is right, Posey won't start. Look at who started in some game for us last year. Posey didn't even start once. He won't period. He very well may get starter minutes, but he won't start. He's our 6th man. It's what he was brought to nola to do, and I think he's done a damn good job all-around.

Hornets1
09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Gooden or Thomas>>>>> Darius

Great;Paul>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kidd or Terry or Barea

And more importantly

Paul>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mavs

And

Me>>>>>>>>>>>You

Chieflion
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Wolves lineup next season,

PG: Jonny Flynn
SG: Ramon Sessions
SF: Ryan Gomes
PF: Kevin Love
C: Al Jefferson

Lets rock.

TD 21
09-10-2009, 05:37 PM
son it will definitely be a year of rotating players in and out of the SG spot ... I am pretty sure that Peterson will get the start though with Wright starting at the SF. however I see Peterson, Posey, and Thornton all getting playing time at SG.

This will be Wright's "make or break" season in my opinion. I'm not saying that he will be a star or anything, but he has a lot of potential. The problem has been that Byron Scott has never allowed him to play much over his first two seasons. The moment he makes a mistake, Scott pulls him.

Obviously, the Hornets lack a prototypical shooting guard, let alone a starting caliber one, so of course it'll be a year of rotating players in and out of that spot. Peterson was in Scott's dog house last year, and the Hornets seem committed to giving Wright every opportunity to play a big role. Apparently Shinn got tired of seeing their young talent blossoming elsewhere (Smith, Bass), and they're determined to put an end to that.

At 22, with his length, athleticism, and relatively good ball skills, I doubt it'll be his "make or break" season. Maybe with regards to the Hornets, but other teams will definitely take a chance on this guy. Unless he just looks flat out awful in training camp/pre-season, I suspect Wright will be in the opening night starting lineup. How long it lasts, and ultimately how much he plays, will be up to him, but the opportunity is definitely there.