View Full Version : Cavs clinging to the final spot in the East

ducks
04-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Cleveland (39-37) at Orlando (35-41)
Preview - Box Score - Recap
Game Info: 7:00 pm EDT Mon Apr 11, 2005
TV: NBAt, WRBW Add to Calendar
Buy Tickets
LeBron James is doing his best to make sure the Cleveland Cavaliers' progress this season won't go to waste. Grant Hill won't be able to do the same for the Orlando Magic.

James and the Cavaliers try to maintain their grip on a playoff spot when they visit the fading Magic.

James made a career-high seven 3-pointers, scored 40 points -- 28 in the first half -- and got his first triple-double at home as Cleveland kept its hold on one of the final playoff spots in the Eastern Conference with a 98-81 win over the Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday.

By snapping a three-game losing streak and winning for just the fifth time in 15 games, Cleveland remained tied with Philadelphia for the seventh spot in the East, 1 1/2 games ahead of the New Jersey Nets and four in front of the Magic.

The Cavaliers are trying to make the postseason for the first time since 1997-98.

ADVERTISEMENT
``I've never cared about statistics,'' said James, who added 10 assists, 10 rebounds and was 7-of-13 on 3-pointers Saturday. ``But I just go out and play my game then they seem to come. The win is the most important thing right now. I played more aggressive because I saw New Jersey had won.''

James is averaging 31.6 points, 9.2 rebounds and 2.4 steals in his last five games.

Orlando is on the verge of being eliminated from postseason contention, and its slim chances were hurt further damaged after learning Hill will miss the rest of the season with a sore left shin.

Hill, who has missed the last four games, experienced pain off and on since being kicked almost six weeks ago. A CT scan showed no damage to the ankle that kept him on the bench for almost all of the previous four seasons.

Hill averaged 19.7 points on 51 percent shooting this season, playing in 67 games -- 20 more than the last four seasons combined.

Orlando has lost three straight, including a 114-102 defeat to Detroit on Friday.

``I know we're still in it,'' Magic forward Dwight Howard said. ``I know if we keep putting forth the effort that we're doing, we're going to find ourselves in the playoffs.''

Cleveland has played three straight games without All-Star center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who has a dislocated right ring finger. The only link from Cleveland's last playoff team, the 7-foot-3 center still has swelling and pain in the finger and isn't sure when he'll return. He's wearing a splint, but can't practice until the swelling subsides.

``The timing couldn't be worse,'' said Ilgauskas, averaging 17.2 points and 8.7 rebounds. ``Everybody is frustrated.''