PDA

View Full Version : Stupid catalytic converter

Slydragon
09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Mine started rattling about 2 months ago but this week its doing it loud when I'm at a red light/stop sign/drive threw. So I here at a shop to get it look at and replace but the damn thing is not making noise now.

The check engine light is not on and they check it out and the computer shows nothing wrong. So I'm waiting here with my truck on to see if it makes the rattling sound.

Anyone have one go bad? Did it rattle loud? They said if I want they will replace it but I don't wanna spend cash unless I have to.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
hmm. how did you determine that it was your catalytic converter.

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
what brand truck?

My Chevy did that and it was the heat shield on top of the muffler that was cracked and rattling...I just stuffed some high temp insulation under it...

Slydragon
09-10-2009, 12:58 PM
hmm. how did you determine that it was your catalytic converter.

I would get out and under my truck to pin point the sound and it was coming from the converter. Also when the truck was off I bang everything with a rubber hammer and it had a rattle to it inside.

I google and found that when its bad it will rattle something about the honeycombs inside are loose or broken.

Slydragon
09-10-2009, 12:59 PM
what brand truck?

My Chevy did that and it was the heat shield on top of the muffler that was cracked and rattling...I just stuffed some high temp insulation under it...

2000 blazer

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
same thing. Get under your truck and I'll bet the heat shield on top of the muffler is cracked at the back.

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I'll bet it rattles the worst when you are idling at red lights, in fast food lanes, etc...right?

Slydragon
09-10-2009, 01:07 PM
same thing. Get under your truck and I'll bet the heat shield on top of the muffler is cracked at the back.

I look last time because I was told the same thing. I didn't see anything. I'll let him know. It just started rattling again just now.

I think I need to replace it. I notice my gas has been burning threw much faster than before and sometimes the engine feels like it sputtering. Alls this started with the rattle.

Twisted_Dawg
09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Typical American made auto problem BS.....

CavsSuperFan
09-10-2009, 05:56 PM
If the exhaust heat shield is fine then I am thinking engine heat shield…The engine block has shields near the spark plugs & they just rattle…Even when removing them & re installing them with new hardware…

As far a Cats go, doesn’t a stock 2000 Chevy Cat have pellets? That type of Cat does cause restriction when they get old…There are many inexpensive after market honey comb Cats that will work if that is the problem…

Slydragon
09-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I changed it out and was out of there by 2pm....I been doing errands the rest of the day and just got home now 7:30 and there is no noise now and when I hit the gas pedal the truck never sputtered, so far I'm happy.

Thanks for all the replies.

Wild Cobra
09-10-2009, 10:38 PM
2000 blazer
I believe it's still covered.

I may be wrong, but I think it's federally mandated to cover emission components for 10 years. If it was purchased after September (insert current day here) 1999, I think it's covered. But make your request ASAP to a dealer in case I'm right, and they try to stall you.

travis2
09-11-2009, 05:54 AM
It's a possibility the converter is letting go. I had one do that to me (but this was mid-90s)...took the car in to get checked because it had absolutely no power (well, that car had no power anyway, but even less than usual) and sounded like it was struggling to run. The shop did what everyone was suggesting...he pounded on the converter to see if it would make noise. No noise. He said maybe it was the muffler...but he cut the exhaust pipe and took a look into the converter, then said "there's your problem..." The converter had *no* honeycomb in there...just a straight tube. All the honeycomb had broken up and blown downstream into the muffler, where it was clogging up the works.

InRareForm
02-15-2023, 08:51 AM
Thief gets ran over trying to steal converter

https://abc7.com/catalytic-converter-theft-suspect-run-over-killed-palmdale/12818569/

Monostradamus
02-15-2023, 08:56 AM
Thief gets ran over trying to steal converter

https://abc7.com/catalytic-converter-theft-suspect-run-over-killed-palmdale/12818569/
:tu anybody who kills a catalytic converter thief should get a reward tbh

koriwhat
02-17-2023, 02:20 PM
Awesome! All thieves deserve the same treatment and ending. Fuck them all and hope they all die horribly.