PDA

View Full Version : Robinson Humbled To Be In Loaded Hall Class (Short Interview)

duncan228
09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Robinson Humbled To Be In Loaded Hall Class (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-robinsonhumbledtobei&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

—> —> There's little doubting the Hall of Fame credentials carried by Spurs center David Robinson. Over the course of his 14-year career, Robinson averaged 21.1 points, 10.6 rebounds and 3.0 blocks, winning two championships along the way. Robinson talked with SN's Sean Deveney about his enshrinement, how he's kept busy in retirement and why he won't be doing a Brett Favre.

SN: It seems to be a pretty good class that you're going into Springfield with. Has that registered with you?

DR: In a way, yes, and in a way no. Going into the Hall of Fame is obviously the biggest honor you can get as a basketball player, no matter who else goes in with you. But when you look at the list of other people-Jerry Sloan, Stockton, Jordan, Vivian Stringer-it is humbling. It becomes something bigger. It's exciting, and I am very proud to be doing this.

SN: How have you managed to keep busy in retirement?

DR: A lot of my time is spent on my school, the Carver Academy. We've got 120 kids, from pre-K to sixth grade, and we're always working to give them an academic program that is outstanding, something that nurtures them as students and as people. A lot of the kids at the school don't have that. I've always felt that if you see a man who is hungry, feed him. If you see a child who does not have clothes, get him some clothes.

SN: You've stayed connected with the Spurs in retirement, but you don't do a lot of coaching or anything like that. Do you think you ever will?

DR: I really don't think so. I don't have the personality for that. I have coached little kids. That's enough for me.

SN: Why?

DR: You know, basketball was an incredible experience for me. To have the career I did and to be in the Hall of Fame, that is incredible. But it doesn't define who I am as a man. I am a teacher at heart. I am not really a coach.

SN: You're 44, and you've always kept yourself in good shape. What do you think, could you get back out there and play 10, 15 minutes a night?

DR: I have been watching Brett Favre coming back, and I am thinking, "Hey, maybe I can go get two years and $25 million like he did." Really, physically, I feel phenomenal. But when I retired, that was it. It never occurs to me that I could or should go back and play. I am pretty happy doing what I am doing now.

SN: Plus, you went out in 2003 with a championship. You can't beat that.

DR: If the last game you play ends with you holding the trophy, there's no point in pushing your luck. I walked off the court a champion, knowing that was going to be my last memory of basketball.