PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson autograph give-away!

alamo50
09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Fellow Admiral fans,

In honor of The Admiral's Hall of Fame induction tomorrow, I want to give one autograph out of my collection to a fellow silver and black bleeder.

I send a message to a moderator over here a week ago about organising a contest, but got no reply so here we go with my own idea!!!

Write in this thread why you are the one deserving of this authentic autographed David Robinson basketball card (#'d 25/50) and I will be the one picking the winner tomorrow at 2:50PM San Antonio time (9:50PM CET).

The contest is OPEN!

:flag:

bdictjames
09-10-2009, 05:54 PM
To tell the truth,

I've never had any autograph from any famous person, much less a member of the San Antonio Spurs. It would be a great honor for me to receive my first one from a member of the Spurs community and the greatest center in Spurs history! Please consider picking me. :]

rAm
09-10-2009, 06:12 PM
The first moment I can remember in life was meeting David Robinson. Honestly... well maybe playing hide & seek in my parents closet, but second moment was definitely David.

My parents were taking my sister and I to the pool at the Dominion, and who do we run into right outside? D-Rob. My parents had some small talk with him, told him how much we love him and all that good stuff, and he looked down at me and smiled, and I swear I remember that smile, how do you forget it?

He then proceeded to pick me up off the ground and above his head and it was probably the coolest thing that could happen to a 3 year old. I've been a huge Robinson fan ever since, even after I moved out of SA I still represent every where I go. Lived in LA during the Laker's 3-peat years and that was tough to do, but I stood fast and then was rewarded with 3 championships!

D-Rob has always been my favorite player (Sean Elliott came close there for a bit), and I honestly believe there is not a better soul to play in the NBA. Not too concerned if I win the card or not, but thought I would share my story at least! Would love to have a piece of D-Rob #50 memorabilia to take with me and remember his induction into the Hall of Fame.

mookie2001
09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I havent a shoe to my foot, as to a stocking I dont know such a thing by name. I pass the day in a ditch, the night in a pig-sty. Thats the way I'll spend my birthday, not that a ditch is anything new to me, for I was born in a ditch.

manufan10
09-10-2009, 06:26 PM
I havent a shoe to my foot, as to a stocking I dont know such a thing by name. I pass the day in a ditch, the night in a pig-sty. Thats the way I'll spend my birthday, not that a ditch is anything new to me, for I was born in a ditch.

:lol

Well then you have no place for such a valuable card. You're out. :p:

Crookshanks
09-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm not asking to be in the contest, but I'd like to share how I got my David Robinson autograph.

I moved to San Antonio in 1992; and even though I wasn't a huge Spurs fan at that time, I knew about the team and especially David Robinson. I became a die-hard Spurs fanatic during the 1998-99 season and have followed not just the Spurs, but the whole NBA ever since.

I used to work for KB Homes and it was during the time David was the spokesman for Dahill. From the moment David announced his retirement, it was my goal to get his autograph that season. Well, Dahill had a reception for their major clients and David was going to be there. KB Homes was a big client and my boss knew how much I loved the Spurs so he let me be one of the employees to attend the reception. I have a poster that has both Tim and David on it and that's what David autographed for me. I have it framed and it's one of my most treasured possessions.

Now - how cool would it be if I could get Timmy's autograph on that same poster?

Oh - and we were getting a private tour of the new Dahill offices and we got to meet David as he was leaving one of the offices. I'll never forget looking up and realizing just how tall David was - he had to duck to get out the door! He greeted me and shook my hand and smiled that great smile. I was on cloud nine!

mookie2001
09-10-2009, 06:52 PM
became a fan during the lockout, thats strange

Crookshanks
09-10-2009, 07:00 PM
became a fan during the lockout, thats strange

Part of the reason is that I had gotten remarried, and my husband was a Spurs fan. Also, that lockout season the Spurs practiced in the new gym at my church and David had attended the church for a period of time. The fact he was a christian was also a big factor in my admiration of him.

DJB
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM

:lmao

Bukefal
09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I used to watch David from the start, one of the reasons I became a Spurs fan, he meant much to me and I think he is a outstanding player. When I think about the Spurs and the glory, I think about him. He is a player of class and gives our club the right image as well as being a symbol for the city of San Antonio. So I would be truly honoured if I could have a card with his autograph

I dont have any basketball cards, let not even talk about autographed ones. I would really love to have this one and start collecting some cards, with this one as the first, for some good luck.

ps: Im probably the closest around you, so you dont have to spend much on postal shipment rate :lol

Proost :toast

Slydragon
09-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I was going to post a huge story but then I can some it up in one word,

Ebay

Just kidding

Brutalis
09-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I would love to win this, but I have won something here before. DRob will always be my fav athlete.

Props to alamo50! Haven't talked to you in forever man hope things are well.

btw is it an echelon card?

Slydragon
09-10-2009, 08:17 PM
It would go great with my D Rob card collection (52 cards). I really don't own any other cards beside these. Here is a phone pic of them, I actually took them out of the box :wow

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMDAtMjAwOTA5MTAtMjAxM.jpg

ManuTP9
09-10-2009, 08:20 PM
It would go great with my D Rob card collection (52 cards). I really don't own any other cards beside these. Here is a phone pic of them, I actually took them out of the box :wow

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMDAtMjAwOTA5MTAtMjAxM.jpg

Thats a sweet collection!

Summers
09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Our "new" house has an old-fashioned telephone shelf in the hallway so I use it as a Spurs shrine, with the Spurs logo in the background and a can of SPAM and other Spursy knick-knacks. The DRob autograph would look good in there.

My Fault
09-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I wanna put my name in for my little bro. Thanks!

Spursfan092120
09-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Not asking to be in the contest, as it should go to someone who doesn't have one, but I still remember when I met David and got an autograph. He was a great guy..signed for everyone. I got a rookie card signed. Very nice guy, and it was early in his career..

TDMVPDPOY
09-11-2009, 12:33 AM
no criteria?

J.T.
09-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Our "new" house has an old-fashioned telephone shelf in the hallway so I use it as a Spurs shrine, with the Spurs logo in the background and a can of SPAM and other Spursy knick-knacks. The DRob autograph would look good in there.

We should sell customized SpursTalk sporks, then you could put a spork in the spam and your shrine would be complete, save for maybe that autographed Robinson card, Tim Duncan's underwear or a VHS copy of the famous Tony & Eva sex tape.

alamo50
09-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Wow, 8 entrees in an entire evening leading up to the induction........

This is somewhat like the SBC/at&t center never being sold out.
I am genuinly amazed.........

12 HOURS TO GO SPURS FANS!!!

I am not telling what kind of card it is, but I will tell you it's a signature with an added message that you won't ever see anywhere other than on this card (and the 49 others out there).

I already have a favourite to win it!

sabar
09-11-2009, 03:53 AM
I think I should be picked because I'll give you $400

But seriously, it should go to someone more worthy than me. Nice of you to do something like this!

spursfan1000
09-11-2009, 07:40 AM
who won

CubanMustGo
09-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I'll throw my name in - have been following the Spurs since they moved from Dallas, even in the sad years pre-big Dave. My only connection to the big 5-0 was visiting Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base while he was in the Navy, but the man has excluded class all his career (despite the naysayers) and it would be an honor to have something he's signed.

Streakyshooter08
09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't deserve it more or less than any other fan here. But here is what D-Rob means to me:

David Robinson is the reason I became a basketball and Spurs fan back in 1995. He is just an amazing athlete and person. Since the day I saw him play my heart beat silver and black and this will last forever. Thanks to him, I started playing Basketball myself and that changed my life completely on many levels.

Vic Petro
09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
David is the reason I'm a Spurs fan. As a nine year old son of immigrants living in New Jersey, I was about as detached from the Spurs and basketball in general as you can get. Then one day I was flipping stations and settled on the NCAA tournament, and saw what I thought had to be a martian. He was tall, lean, fast. He could block shots, dunk on your head, and hit a spinning jumper from the baseline. It was at that moment in my life when I understood that I'll never play basketball in the NBA, because if God made them like that, then I have no shot.

I decided I would become a fan of whatever team drafted him. A few months later I read it had been the San Antonio Spurs, a team I had never heard of (beyond the Knicks, Nets, Lakers, Bulls, Celtics and Pistons, I didn't know much). But he wouldn't play there for two years. Torture! But I would wait, and wait I did. I got made fun of in NJ for liking a team with such an effeminate logo, for being obsessed with a player who had never even played in the NBA yet.

But then he finally played. And I was right. And I was hooked.

bluebellmaniac
09-11-2009, 01:50 PM
David Robinson brought more to the basketball court when he played than had been brought before. Was he the greatest basketball player ever? No. But he brought work ethic. He brought unselfishness. He brought humility. He brought faith. He brought love for his fellow man. He epitomized all that is great in an athlete. But the bigger impact he made is what he did off the court and what he has championed. He made it possible for kids to go to college (remember that 5th grade class he sponsored?). He started the Carver Academy which is his biggest gift to the community. He is active in so many charities and has time to pose for pictures even when he really doesn't. And he handles this with such graciousness that one does not expect from an ex-professional athlete.

He's made an impact on my life by helping me realize there is a bigger picture to focus on. He has taught me patience.

I am fortunate to remember when the Spurs practiced at the UTSA Convocation Center and I remember working out in the weight room upstairs and taking time to watch the practice. That was before any banners were hung from the rafters of the AlamoDome... But even then he had good words of advice for the learning young lad that I was. Be true to myself and I have been. Don't judge others, and I don't. Give as you would have given to you, and I do.

He's a great man, David Robinson.

angel_luv
09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I would like the card because I am newly married to a wonderful man who is a big fan of David Robinson and this hubby of mine just happens to have a birthday coming up. :)

angel_luv
09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
To tell the truth,

I've never had any autograph from any famous person, much less a member of the San Antonio Spurs. It would be a great honor for me to receive my first one from a member of the Spurs community and the greatest center in Spurs history! Please consider picking me. :]

But I vote for you to pick this one.

alamo50
09-11-2009, 03:12 PM
What did I get myself into!?!?
I can't choose between my 3 favourites!!!!!

Give me a lil' bit more time to announce the winner!

alamo50
09-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Bukefal, you can send me a PM and start collecting as WE GOT A WINNER!

Thanks for entering everybody!
Still amazed of the lack of entrants though.

WAIT!
Sly, I like the collection you got there.
I'll send you some more.
PM me!

HOLD UP!
Summers, I think I got a nice card for your shrine.
PM ME!

STOP!
My Fault, that's awesome to enter the contest for your lil' brother.
PM me and I'll send you a cool card for your brother to enjoy.

HALT!
rAm, PM me for your D-Rob memorabilia card.

OK, that's it.
No really.

Bukefal
09-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Awesomeeeeeee :toast :toast :toast

duncan228
09-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Nicely done alamo50. :tu

Slydragon
09-11-2009, 04:58 PM
WAIT!
I'll send you some more.
PM me!

Hell yea. Everyone ill post the ebay link later.

Just kidding. Thanks alamo50, D Rob cards are the only cards I collect. I'm frame them some how and hang them on my wall.

Penya
09-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Since I was 13 I used to stay awake until 3 or 4 am in order to see Spurs' games... And I admired (and admire) DRob, due to his leadership, his soul and his skills.
:toast

saxman
09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
One of the most memorable years in my life was 1992. Memorable, perhaps, but not for the reasons one might think. I remember that year because that was the year I, as a teenager, saw my dad taken prisoner for a crime he committed. As the eldest of 5, not having my dad around during those years was very difficult. The expectations were high for me to fill my dads shoes around the house. But, as the days went on I started to loose focus in my life. I started to separate myself from the crowds and tried to find ways on how to hide from responsibilities.

I remember very clearly one afternoon, I was feeling very gloomy and decided to leave the house in the car my dad used to drive. I remember turning the car and the radio on. Searching the radio stations, I came across a very excited game announcer (Jay Howard) talking about all coming down to one last possession. The crowd in the radio seemed very excited. He mentioned Robinson's name several times on the play as well as Barkley's name. I remember being caught up in the moment and for some reason started hoping they would win. Of course we all now know that the Spurs lost that game. But, at that time I was just hoping for something good to happen. After the game ended, the announcer kept talking about Robinson and next year and just looking forward to next season. From that point on I become interested in the Spurs. David Robinson (the player) was the reason I still remain interested in the Spurs.

After hearing several more games the following season I quickly became familiar with the Spurs players and especially Robinson. His skill as a player was quite evident by what people would say about him. But, one thing that always seemed to be mentioned about Robinson was his character, his education at Navy, and his faith. He seemed to have a lot of people's respects. Somehow along the way he not only gained my respect as a player but my respect and admiration as a person. I wanted to be like him...and to this day i still do! During a time in my life I needed a positive role model, he was there. I never saw David Robinson play in person. I wish I did. I only heard him being described by radio announcers and later on by TV commentators. Today, i heard him giving his HOF speech on HDTV...and it was a real treat. The last comment he made in his speech is representative of who he really is and the reason I still admire him. Heck, I love him for what he means me...for being a shining light when I felt lost in darkness.

ducks
09-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I traveled to Denver to see David Robinson play
have most of his basketball cards
say him play in Az
But the most think I love about David Robinson is his work outside of basketball. He is trully a true hero.
For those who say David did not care. He was ripped. He cared.

Streakyshooter08
09-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Congrats to the winners!!!

Texas_Ranger
09-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Oh man. How could I not see this thread.
I know you already've got a winner for the autograph, but is there a way that you could send me at least some kind of a card? Here in Slovenia I really don't know where could I buy me something like a basketball cards. Even a players jesrsey it's tough to get here where I live. I'm a Spurs fan for 10 years now. I started watching them back in 99 when they won the championsip, and I really liked them. I must say that my fave Spur is Timmy, but that's perhaps cause I watched him longer than Dave. But from what I saw from David in the 4 years I watched him play, I must say he's just great. In 03 finals I almost cried when he went to the bench for the last time in his career.
So, I know I'm not the biggest 5O fan out there, but it would be nice if I could own something with his name on it.

JP le Requin
09-12-2009, 09:08 AM
the first time i saw a spurs game when i was 12 years old (i am now 27) i saw DROB with his humble way, i saw a center who can jump and run like a SG, i saw a man who lead his team his partners like an admiral in front of the war, i saw a man whose respect mean so much for him, i saw a man who is THE man people should follow...and i follow his way to see the life i mean to push hard for getting what we feel the best for our family and us.

he is the reaon i LOVE basket ball and cheers SPURS since 1993..and in france it was REALLY hard to watch spurs games to have infos from san antonio...internet wasnt here, our tv channels werent not ESPN, NBC, ABC etc etc..i remember sometimes to get the result of some spurs games 3 days after it was played...THANK YOU INTERNET lol now its live everyday!!

THANK YOU DROBn your are my best!

rAm
09-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Bukefal, you can send me a PM and start collecting as WE GOT A WINNER!

Thanks for entering everybody!
Still amazed of the lack of entrants though.

WAIT!
I'll send you some more.
PM me!

HOLD UP!
PM ME!

STOP!
My Fault, that's awesome to enter the contest for your lil' brother.
PM me and I'll send you a cool card for your brother to enjoy.

HALT!
rAm, PM me for your D-Rob memorabilia card.

OK, that's it.
No really.

:lol Thanks for this contest Alamo, you just brightened my day!

http://img29.yfrog.com/img29/1170/xfho.jpg

Summers
09-12-2009, 01:53 PM
We should sell customized SpursTalk sporks, then you could put a spork in the spam and your shrine would be complete, save for maybe that autographed Robinson card, Tim Duncan's underwear or a VHS copy of the famous Tony & Eva sex tape.

If anyone knows how I can get my hands on a pair of those I'll display them proudly. :lol

HOLD UP!
PM ME!

You rock, Alamo! Thanks so much for the fun give-away and for choosing my shrine as your card's new home. :) I'll take good care of it and take a pic for the forum when training camps starts. And I'm going to PM you now.

My Fault
09-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks! :toast

Summers
09-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Alamo, I got my prize today and I really appreciate adn love it! Thanks so much. :)