PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Sick: If Robinson Had Left The Spurs

duncan228
09-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Sick: If Robinson had left the Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Sick_If_Robinson_had_left_the_Spurs.html)
By Buck Harvey

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — We stood at his locker, and he was animated. David Robinson often was.

This happened a while ago. Tim Duncan, at the time, was a kid running around St. Croix on fresh knees.

Robinson was a rookie. That night, talking after a game in cramped HemisFair, he suddenly felt woozy. He wobbled to the nearby restroom and became ill.

Minutes later, he returned to finish his thought.

That was Robinson. He didn't especially enjoy interviews, just as he didn't especially enjoy banging beefier opponents. But he believed in duty and in living up to his responsibilities. He initially signed with the Spurs, in part, because of this.

So as he receives the ultimate honor in his sport tonight, go back to the summer of 2001.

The Spurs ought to feel ill just thinking about it.

As it is, a large contingent of the Spurs brass will be here for the Hall of Fame festivities, and the stories will be repeated. They will talk about how Robinson once saved the franchise, and they will be wrong.

He saved the Spurs three times. First he signed, then he starred and finally he teamed with Duncan to win both a title and arena funding.

Maybe there was a fourth save, too, and Doc Rivers always believed in this one. Had Robinson not flown in from Hawaii to lobby Duncan in the summer of 2000, would the Spurs have won another championship?

That's why the summer of 2001 never fit. This time Robinson remained in Hawaii, and the Spurs flew to see him.

Their plan: If Robinson would take a huge pay-cut, they could rebuild.

The Spurs had already approached Chris Webber, then a free agent. They sent him a video highlighting the franchise and San Antonio.

The problem, as always, was money. The Spurs had about $16 million under the cap to spend, and Webber would need most of that.

“My impression is if they could sign Chris Webber, they would,” Robinson said then. “This is the first time in my career I thought I wouldn't finish as a San Antonio Spur.”

It's not clear what the Spurs would have done had Webber been interested. But Webber made the decision for everyone; he re-signed with Sacramento for $126 million.

Two years later, in the 2003 playoffs, Webber suffered a knee injury, underwent surgery and was never the same. Robinson, that same season, exited with another trophy.

The Spurs had been doing what teams do. They didn't know Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili would become stars, and they were nervous Duncan could still leave. A younger Webber was a possible answer.

Besides, Hall of Fame players get traded. Hall of Fame players hold up new jerseys in new cities and smile.

But wasn't Robinson different? Given his own commitment to San Antonio, didn't he deserve the same in return?

Once, asked about Pat Tillman, the former NFL player who volunteered for military duty and would later be killed in Afghanistan by friendly fire, Robinson said:

“It's like we tell the kids at the school, going out and making money, or being more famous, is not what it's all about. It's about service. It's about believing in something, and fighting for it. Sure, you can spend your whole life working to be the president of a Fortune 500 company, but in the end, if that's all you are, who really cares?”

Maybe nothing better defines his Hall of Fame stature. He was more than a basketball player, in attitude and community and service.

And if 2001 have gone differently?

Nothing would have been the same. Not the Spurs, not 2003. Not tonight.

EricB
09-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Wow.

(stands and applauds)

whottt
09-11-2009, 03:04 AM
The real hero in that story is all the Spur fans that stepped up the second David Robinson even mentioned he might have to leave. That was checkmate by the Admiral and it was one of San Antonio's best moments. That's what I love about San Antonio, that they are quirky like that...not so great when it gets A(Maverick)J's jersey retired but hey...you gotta take the bad with the good.

I wasn't there at the time and I wasn't even spending much time on Spurs boards, the first time I heard about the fans reacting to that was on the Jim Rome board.

Just my take on who David is and who San Antonio is and what was going down at that time, from afar...

Gregg Poppovich and the Spurs brass would have been hunted down like dogs by every grandmother and mother in the city of San Antonio if they'd let David go like that., because it was more like they were about to trade a family member than a basketball player. And all those mothers and grandmas didn't give a damn how many points Chris Webber averaged the year before.

Heat.

I know the Spurs were just trying to win...but it was better to lose with David Robinson than win by screwing him over, especially for Chris Webber.

And I'll feel the same away about Duncan. At a certain point the memories and heroism on the court trumps adding a few wins to the win column, for some players...at least to a classy organization it should. After all, we aren't going to win a championship every year...it is impossible, and throwing away these guys that mean so much to the city under the delusion that we will, is just about the worst aspect of pro sports that there is. Just plain old ugly. What meaning can the wins have when the players that produced them have none?

It is going be a loooooooooong time before the Spurs get guys like Drob and Duncan again, and we will never get guys like them back to back and playing together again....that's not something you just throw away for a replacement player so you can have a winning season.

And it turned to be the right move to win a championship......Webber was never going to guard Shaq, not in a million years. How could no one the Spurs see that?

That would have meant Duncan had to do it...and either carry the offense or else cede it to Webber, and that was never going to produce a championship either.

And neither Duncan nor Webber could defend Shaq as well one on one as even old Drob could.

I doubt we would have won another championship if we'd gotten Webber.

Mel_13
09-11-2009, 06:57 AM
The real hero in that story is all the Spur fans that stepped up the second David Robinson even mentioned he might have to leave. That was checkmate by the Admiral and it was one of San Antonio's best moments. That's what I love about San Antonio, that they are quirky like that...not so great when it gets A(Maverick)J's jersey retired but hey...you gotta take the bad with the good.

I wasn't there at the time and I wasn't even spending much time on Spurs boards, the first time I heard about the fans reacting to that was on the Jim Rome board.

Just my take on who David is and who San Antonio is and what was going down at that time, from afar...

Gregg Poppovich and the Spurs brass would have been hunted down like dogs by every grandmother and mother in the city of San Antonio if they'd let David go like that., because it was more like they were about to trade a family member than a basketball player. And all those mothers and grandmas didn't give a damn how many points Chris Webber averaged the year before.

Heat.

I know the Spurs were just trying to win...but it was better to lose with David Robinson than win by screwing him over, especially for Chris Webber.

And I'll feel the same away about Duncan. At a certain point the memories and heroism on the court trumps adding a few wins to the win column, for some players...at least to a classy organization it should. After all, we aren't going to win a championship every year...it is impossible, and throwing away these guys that mean so much to the city under the delusion that we will, is just about the worst aspect of pro sports that there is. Just plain old ugly. What meaning can the wins have when the players that produced them have none?

It is going be a loooooooooong time before the Spurs get guys like Drob and Duncan again, and we will never get guys like them back to back and playing together again....that's not something you just throw away for a replacement player so you can have a winning season.

And it turned to be the right move to win a championship......Webber was never going to guard Shaq, not in a million years. How could no one the Spurs see that?

That would have meant Duncan had to do it...and either carry the offense or else cede it to Webber, and that was never going to produce a championship either.

And neither Duncan nor Webber could defend Shaq as well one on one as even old Drob could.

I doubt we would have won another championship if we'd gotten Webber.

I can't tell you how much I agree with sentiment you have expressed. There are, indeed, some things more important than wins and championships. Character is at the top of that list.

45 bank shot
09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
go spurs go

Phenomanul
09-11-2009, 10:19 AM
:tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
As far as I'm concerned, everyone involved in thinking about jettisoning DRob for Webber should have been lined up and punched in the junk. Repeatedly.