PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson trivia question?

brd
09-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Congrats to the Admiral on his induction to the HoF today!

I have a question that I hope the faithful here can help me with. I have scoured the web and still can't find it. What was the day and opposing team of David Robinson's first home preseason game as a Spur? and any stats of his from that day? I was 15 and at the game with a friend of mine in the old Hemisfair Arena. I can't even remember who they played, but I remember Dave missed his first shot(s) and when he did make one, we all went nuts. It wasn't a monster game by any means, but you could tell he was a different kind of big man.

I wish I had known what I was witnessing back then, so I could have appreciated it more. I didn't even take any pictures. :( As someone who grew up going to Spurs games as a kid, getting tickets damn near on the floor because they couldn't hardly give the seats away back then in the 80s/early 90s, it seemed like a dream come true.

I saw in the big trivia thread hear that Robinson's first actual preseason game was in CT against the Celtics, so I hope someone can tell me the first SA one. Thanks!
Brian

Solid D
09-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I looked to find one of my old programs but I couldn't (yet). I'll keep looking if someone else doesn't find it first.

Some remembrances: I do recall the first exhibition Black and Silver game as a Spur. I think it was at Blossom Athletic Center but maybe it was at UTSA (?). It was actually on TV. Everyone in SA wanted to see David. He was fantastic in that game. I also remember some of the training camp practices that we could watch from the 2nd level of the UTSA Convo center. I remember the signing party David's first year. I got a Spurs' pennant and went around the tables to where each Spur sat to meet them and get their autographs with my kids when they were very young. I walked around to Caldwell Jones....Uwe Blab....Jens-Uwe Gordon, Zarko Paspalj, Sean Elliott, Terry Cummings, David Wingate...wow D.Robinson 50! He started signing with scriptures from the Bible around that time. Flashes of memories. 1320 on his SAT college entrance exam. Plays the Alto Saxophone. Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood. Blocking a shot and then beating everyone to the other end to dunk, all within 5 seconds. What a great player. What a great man!

brd
09-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Very cool. I remember his first or second year he shot a Nike commercial in the gym at Trinity University, but they taped black paper over all the doors and windows so nobody could see in. :( I think it was the first "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood" one.

jjktkk
09-12-2009, 03:20 AM
I believe his 1st regular season game was against the Lakers.

Vito Corleone
09-12-2009, 03:31 AM
You know I have no idea what the answer is, but that was a real exciting time to be a basketball fan in San Antonio. Robinson, Elliott, and Cummins were all coming in to revive pro basketball in San Antonio. High School basketball was at it's peak with Shaq, Robert Outlaw, and Aski Jones leading the San Antonio AAU all-stars to a national title.

I remember that season so well because we came so close to winning it all.

whottt
09-12-2009, 03:47 AM
I think his first pre-season game was against the Lakers too.

I always get stuff like mixed up though...I always think that David's first regular game was in LA not SA, and I don't know the reason why, other than I lived in LA then.

whottt
09-12-2009, 03:48 AM
1320 on his SAT college entrance exam.

And that makes me think of a good trivia question...does anyone know what Shaq scored on his SAT?

Military brat VS Military brat.

timvp
09-12-2009, 04:16 AM
I think Robinson's first home preseason game was against the Milwuakee Bucks and he scored 17 points. I remember that preseason game and remember he had 17 and thinking that would be about how much he'd probably average as a rookie.

Considering I was eight years old at the time, I could be misremembering the order of the preseason games. I know the Spurs went either 3-2 or 4-2 with both losses against the Celtics. They also played the Knicks and the Mavs. Forgot who else. The Knicks game was either the last preseason game or the second to last preseason game.

buttsR4rebounding
09-12-2009, 11:22 AM
And that makes me think of a good trivia question...does anyone know what Shaq scored on his SAT?

Military brat VS Military brat.

He misspelled it: C-A-T