PDA

View Full Version : Bucks decline to match Sessions offer

Mel_13
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Bucks decline to match Sessions offer

Bucks general manager John Hammond confirmed today he will not match the four-year, $16.4 million offer sheet tendered by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/59050727.html

IronMexican
09-11-2009, 04:32 PM
That's not a lot of money for a player like Sessions. Cheap owner.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2009, 04:35 PM
I guess they can trade Rubio's rights now.

bostonguy
09-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Wolves stacking up with pgs.

DPG21920
09-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I guess they can trade Rubio's rights now.

You think they will? I don't think they have to unless they get a solid offer. Not a lot of money for Sessions and Flynn is on a rookie contract.

Chieflion
09-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Idiots.

Henke
09-11-2009, 05:51 PM
LOL Bucks

23LeBronJames23
09-11-2009, 06:21 PM
LOL Bucks

Lars
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
What a bunch of morons over there. The Bucks were terrible last year and now they are signifigantly worse.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
You think they will? I don't think they have to unless they get a solid offer. Not a lot of money for Sessions and Flynn is on a rookie contract.It's possible, Kahn may not have a whole lot of time to prove his worth. Having a couple of solid young point guards (if Flynn turns into one) is a good start. I suppose there is no hurry to get rid of Rubio too soon; he could grow physically and as a player this season, which could either increase his worth to the Wolves as a two guard or increase his trade value.

DPG21920
09-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I wonder what kind of value Rubio has right now? If they could get a legit SF or C I think they might move Rubio, but I don't think they should be in a rush.

They have a weird team though. They seem to love Kevin Love and he is no question a PF. Al Jefferson is obviously their main man, but he truly is a PF as well, although they slide him to center.

I would be hard pressed to see them bring in a true center and move Al to PF, because Love would lose playing time. I am not sure how they feel about Brewer, but you would have to believe they like him. His injury is a set back, but I wonder how they feel about him? They also have Gomes who is decent.

They have Sessions and Flynn at PG. They drafted Wane Ellington at the SG spot. I wonder what they would be looking for if they dealt Rubio? I would say a true center or small forward, but with Love being pushed out of the rotation or Brewer I wonder if they would do that. SG is also a possibility.

duncan228
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Sessions to fill Rubio’s shoes in Minnesota (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-timberwolves-sessions&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Jon Krawczynski

When Ricky Rubio told the Minnesota Timberwolves he was planning on staying in Spain for at least the next two years, word quickly spread to restricted free agent Ramon Sessions.

His agent, James Wells, called Sessions and told his client they should consider contacting Minnesota to see if there was any interest in bringing the 23-year-old point guard in as a replacement.

Sessions quickly agreed, but Timberwolves president of basketball operations David Kahn was even faster on the dial.

“When I found out he wasn’t coming over, me and my agent talked about it, and not five hours later (the Timberwolves) were calling,” Sessions said Tuesday. “It was the best situation for me and I’m happy to be here.”

Sessions signed a four-year, $16 million offer sheet with the Wolves. When the Milwaukee Bucks declined to match the offer Friday, Sessions packed his bags for Minnesota, where he will join rookie point guard Jonny Flynn in a young Timberwolves backcourt.

“Clearly if Ricky would have come, there wouldn’t have been an opportunity to add Ramon,” Kahn said at Sessions’ introductory press conference. “We would have been filled up in the backcourt and there wouldn’t have been enough playing time for somebody of Ramon’s caliber to join us.

“When Ricky made his decision that he wanted to spend another two years over there, within in the next 36 hours is when we did decide to move forward with Ramon.”

The Timberwolves selected the 18-year-old Rubio with the fifth overall pick in June, then commenced on a summer-long dance with him, his agents and the Spanish pro team that still had him under contract.

Kahn made three trips to Spain in hopes of negotiating a deal to bring the precocious passer to the United States. He reached an agreement with DKV Joventut at the end of August. But Rubio backed out less than 48 hours later, telling Kahn he preferred to stay in Spain for at least the next two years to get more ready for the NBA and reduce the amount of a multimillion dollar buyout in his contract.

Without Rubio, the Timberwolves needed another point guard to take some of the burden off of Flynn, the sixth overall pick in the draft.

Sessions, who averaged 12.4 points and 5.7 assists for the Bucks last season, talked earlier in the summer with the New York Knicks and the Los Angeles Clippers. But he never received an offer from either team and was starting to get a little antsy with training camps opening in less than a month.

“It was a long, crazy period for me and I wound up losing a lot of sleep over this,” Sessions said.

In Minnesota, the 6-foot-3 Sessions will play the point guard position he’s played his entire life, but also will move to shooting guard on occasion and pair with Flynn in a small, but dynamic, backcourt.

“In the times that they do play together it’s going to be pretty fun to watch because of their ability of both of them to create for other people, to get inside the lane, either to draw a foul or find a teammate,” Kahn said.

Sessions got plenty of time at shooting guard last season after Olympian Michael Redd went down with a knee injury. He topped 20 points 11 times in 79 games, including a 44-point, 12-assist game against Detroit on Feb. 7.

“This past year was really my first year playing off the ball and I felt really comfortable with it,” Sessions said. “With Michael Redd going down in Milwaukee, that gave me the opportunity to show that I can off the ball a little bit so I’m definitely looking forward to that challenge.”

Kahn has said time and again all summer long that the rebuilding Timberwolves are probably a year or two away from being competitive in the Western Conference playoff race. But he also said that adding Sessions, instead of Rubio, will help them more in the short term.

“I think that Ramon is clearly more capable of helping us right now than Ricky would have been because of where he is in his development stage,” Kahn said. “In a weird way, the team became more mature and improved with this move in particular.”

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Kahn has done a shitty job, IMHO.

First he trades away his 2 best swing players for a pick (why not keep one of them to be your starting SG?), then with that pick he drafts a second consecutive PG and says he'll play the two he drafted together (ah, no, because they are both PGs and both rookies), then his big FA signing is yet another PG (well, small combo guard, anyway).

So, who are their SGs? Sessions (undersized at 6'3" and more of a PG), Ellington (rookie) and Damien Wilkins? That is a tiny, inexperienced heap of shit right there. They will get SLAUGHTERED at SG. And yet the guy has stocked up on PGs - Flynn, Sessions, Atkins, Daniels, Rubio. What a total freakin mess. Sheesh, man, you fucked that roster up good and well. :rolleyes

Why put all that effort into developing Foye, then just as he's starting to show something, give him away for shit? I'm sure Kahn could have swung Miller and a pick for the 6.

David Kahn, so far you suck harder than McHale, and that's saying something.

JamStone
09-15-2009, 11:44 PM
That's not a lot of money for a player like Sessions. Cheap owner.

That's probably true, but they also spent a high draft pick on Brandon Jennings and still have Ridnour under contract. Might as well let Jennings grow up learning on the job. It's not like bringing Sessions back would make or break the Bucks next season. He was a great player for being so cheap. At his price now, he's just an ok player who can do some things every once in a while. It's a cheap contract, but Sessions might not even live up to that value.

DPG21920
09-15-2009, 11:48 PM
I would be hard pressed to believe that given minutes, Sessions won't be worth 4M. Even if he does not develop at all, he is worth that. It is a below average salary and he is not a below average player.

But I see your point on why the Bucks let him go. It was not exactly like there was a FA frenzy over him, so to try and argue they could have matched, then traded him for some value seems a little far fetched.

EricB
09-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Sessions >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ridenour

Ridenour is crap.

NBA Junkie
09-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Kahn has done a shitty job, IMHO.

First he trades away his 2 best swing players for a pick (why not keep one of them to be your starting SG?), then with that pick he drafts a second consecutive PG and says he'll play the two he drafted together (ah, no, because they are both PGs and both rookies), then his big FA signing is yet another PG (well, small combo guard, anyway).

So, who are their SGs? Sessions (undersized at 6'3" and more of a PG), Ellington (rookie) and Damien Wilkins? That is a tiny, inexperienced heap of shit right there. They will get SLAUGHTERED at SG. And yet the guy has stocked up on PGs - Flynn, Sessions, Atkins, Daniels, Rubio. What a total freakin mess. Sheesh, man, you fucked that roster up good and well. :rolleyes

Why put all that effort into developing Foye, then just as he's starting to show something, give him away for shit? I'm sure Kahn could have swung Miller and a pick for the 6.

David Kahn, so far you suck harder than McHale, and that's saying something.

Most Wolve fans are very happy with the job Kahn has done so far, myself included.

His moves make sense and are geared toward the bigger picture (a couple years down the road as opposed to right now) since he knows full well that the team wasn't going to be competing for a playoff spot this season or possibly next.

Foye and Miller for a #5 pick was not a bad move. Miller was not fitting in and Foye was disappointing in his three seasons in Minnesota.

I don't think Kahn envisioned Rubio falling into his lap at #5. I think he was expecting Tyreke Evans. Nonetheless, Rubio was too good to pass up at 5 and was the right pick. Flynn might heve been questionable at 6, but you have to remember that Rubio was still tied to his Spanish team and the odds of him playing in Minnesota this season or next were slim at best. This gives Flynn a chance to develop while Rubio is overseas. If he doesn't pan out, you still have Rubio and Sessions. Young PG's are at a premium in today's NBA.

Ramon Sessions is an intriguing prospect that showed a lot of promise last winter when the Bucks were injury-riddled. It was a solid plan B move when it was clear that Rubio was stuck in Spain for a couple of seasons. Getting him for $4 million a season was a steal in this tight economy and was a brilliant move since Kahn knew the Bucks couldn't match since doing so would put them over the luxury tax. If he and Flynn pan out, perhaps Rubio could be traded for a future pick.

The additions of Atkins and Daniels were made for salary cap purposes as both have contracts that expire at the end of this upcoming season. I don't expect neither to be key contibutors to the upcoming season.

Kahn's rebuilding the team the way he sees fit and should considering the state McHale left it in before his dismissal.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Most Wolve fans are very happy with the job Kahn has done so far, myself included.

His moves make sense and are geared toward the bigger picture (a couple years down the road as opposed to right now) since he knows full well that the team wasn't going to be competing for a playoff spot this season or possibly next.

Foye and Miller for a #5 pick was not a bad move. Miller was not fitting in and Foye was disappointing in his three seasons in Minnesota.

I don't think Kahn envisioned Rubio falling into his lap at #5. I think he was expecting Tyreke Evans. Nonetheless, Rubio was too good to pass up at 5 and was the right pick. Flynn might heve been questionable at 6, but you have to remember that Rubio was still tied to his Spanish team and the odds of him playing in Minnesota this season or next were slim at best. This gives Flynn a chance to develop while Rubio is overseas.

Ramon Sessions is an intriguing prospect that showed a lot of promise last winter when the Bucks were injury-riddled. It was a solid plan B move when it was clear that Rubio was stuck in Spain for a couple of seasons. Getting him for $4 million a season was a steal in this tight economy and was a brilliant move since he knew the Bucks couldn't match since doing so would put them over the luxury tax. If he pans out, perhaps Rubio could be traded for a future pick.

The additions of Atkins and Daniels were made for salary cap purposes as both have contracts that expire at the end of this upcoming season. I don't expect neither to be key contibutors to the upcoming season.

Kahn's rebuilding the team the way he sees fit and should considering the state McHale left it in before his dismissal.

Thanks for the perspective. Glad someone bothered to answer my post. :tu

So, basically what you're telling me is that you're happy to be loading up your talent at the PG position while ignoring the other positions on the floor? How does it make sense to be developing 3 PGs?

Don't get me wrong, Rubio or Flynn plus Stephen Curry (or swapping the 6 and something to get Harden) would have made sense, but how does Rubio AND Flynn make sense? Let's say Flynn develops nicely into your franchise PG of the future, that then lowers Rubio's value in trade because everyone knows you want to ship him.

As for Sessions, I agree that he's a great pickup for that money, but he doesn't fill a need at all unless you're happy to start a 6'3" combo guard (who will be slaughtered by bigger guards) as your SG. As for Foye, last year I thought he showed some signs of improvement - the guy is clearly a scorer, not a PG as the team tried to make him for two years.

Also, right now you've got Ellington to develop at the swing and what else? A typical team needs 5 swing players, and even if Brewer has a good year and Ellington develops, you're still pretty short there.

It all looks pretty scattershot to me is what I'm saying.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Another question for you, NBAjunkie - why the hell did they let Carney walk? Wasn't he showing something last season? Surely it was enough to pick up the option on his contract.

He's a guy who could be a decent role player this year or next. A waste, IMHO.

InK
09-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Let's say Flynn develops nicely into your franchise PG of the future, that then lowers Rubio's value in trade because everyone knows you want to ship him.

If that happens wouldnt it make more sense to ship Flynn our rather then try and shop Rubio? If they did that, they get a decent player back/ plus (or) getting rid of some bad contracts, and they are still in the lottery that year. And Sessions is probably on his last year on the contract, giving Rubio some guidance for his rookie year.

Chieflion
09-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Another question for you, NBAjunkie - why the hell did they let Carney walk? Wasn't he showing something last season? Surely it was enough to pick up the option on his contract.

He's a guy who could be a decent role player this year or next. A waste, IMHO.
Carney was not a good defender or had a poor mindset, I believe. He was also inconsistent. Same for McCants.

mountainballer
09-17-2009, 05:29 AM

I don't think Kahn envisioned Rubio falling into his lap at #5. I think he was expecting Tyreke Evans. Nonetheless, Rubio was too good to pass up at 5 and was the right pick. Flynn might heve been questionable at 6, but you have to remember that Rubio was still tied to his Spanish team and the odds of him playing in Minnesota this season or next were slim at best. This gives Flynn a chance to develop while Rubio is overseas. If he doesn't pan out, you still have Rubio and Sessions. Young PG's are at a premium in today's NBA.

Ramon Sessions is an intriguing prospect that showed a lot of promise last winter when the Bucks were injury-riddled. It was a solid plan B move when it was clear that Rubio was stuck in Spain for a couple of seasons. Getting him for $4 million a season was a steal in this tight economy and was a brilliant move since Kahn knew the Bucks couldn't match since doing so would put them over the luxury tax. If he and Flynn pan out, perhaps Rubio could be traded for a future pick.

yeah, the bigger picture. in the end of the Thomas era there were still some Knicks fans pointing at the big picture. but that's ok, you can't jump of the bridge as often as a Knicks or Wolves fan would have reason to.

Foye+Miller for the #5 was a horrible move in terms of value. hey, this wasn't the 2003 draft, when you get a Wade with the #5 pick. jury is still out if this draft class isn't pretty weak at all, as many experts expect it to turn out.
Miller not a fit? jesus, if I can't fit in a player like Miller, I wouldn't question him, I would question the coach. IMO there are few other players in the NBA, who have the versatility, smarts and character to fit with almost any team or system. hey, Mike Miller would even fit with a WNBA team.
and Foye? ok, compared with Roy, who was all yours, he is a disappointment. but I think he could have been a very good option for the 6th man role. so, there was no urgent need to sell either. use the #6 for a PG (Flynn would have been there) and you get Flynn+Miller in the back court and Foye as 6th man, who could also play alongside either. if you have a good defender at the other wing position. (Brewer? maybe, give him one more year, but I doubt.) they could have used the #28 pick for Danny Green.

if this doesn't work, you still have the expiring contract of Miller, that would bring you a good player (or nice pick) at the deadline.

so, the trade for the pick was IMO a very bad and uncalled move.

the use of the pick either! you can't pass on Rubio, if he's surprisingly there? ok, maybe, but look at the possible scenarios. pick Rubio, use the #6 for a potential complementary player to him (Henderson wouldn't have been a bad idea for that) and as the injurance for the case he doesn't come immediately I use the #18 pick on Lawson and not sell this pick. (or whoever decent PG is there, there were enough in the draft to be sure that at least one competent PG will still be on the board.)
you end up with Rubio, Henderson, Lawson and Green. for example. more potential and less drama.
so again: Kahn made two major mistakes within a short time, he blew the trade and he blew the draft. that's McHaleish. on the other hand: why do I care for the Wolves. should be happy that Mike Miller has found a new home (maybe another bad situation for him though. damn, this guy would be great in a minor role but, with a team like Spurs or Celtics)

Chieflion
09-17-2009, 05:53 AM
McHale doesn't screw up drafts. He screws up the trades. Kahn, on the other hand, screws up the draft but does well in trades. He managed to get an expiring for Songaila, which was a plus for me since they were aiming for 2010.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Carney was not a good defender or had a poor mindset, I believe. He was also inconsistent. Same for McCants.

No question that McCants had done his dash, but last year Carney showed some spark on offense. He strikes me as a JR Smith type - one day, with the right atmosphere around him (or when he grows up), he'll blossom. Maybe the move to Phili was a good one for him.

yeah, the bigger picture. in the end of the Thomas era there were still some Knicks fans pointing at the big picture. but that's ok, you can't jump of the bridge as often as a Knicks or Wolves fan would have reason to.

Foye+Miller for the #5 was a horrible move in terms of value. hey, this wasn't the 2003 draft, when you get a Wade with the #5 pick. jury is still out if this draft class isn't pretty weak at all, as many experts expect it to turn out.
Miller not a fit? jesus, if I can't fit in a player like Miller, I wouldn't question him, I would question the coach. IMO there are few other players in the NBA, who have the versatility, smarts and character to fit with almost any team or system. hey, Mike Miller would even fit with a WNBA team.
and Foye? ok, compared with Roy, who was all yours, he is a disappointment. but I think he could have been a very good option for the 6th man role. so, there was no urgent need to sell either. use the #6 for a PG (Flynn would have been there) and you get Flynn+Miller in the back court and Foye as 6th man, who could also play alongside either. if you have a good defender at the other wing position. (Brewer? maybe, give him one more year, but I doubt.) they could have used the #28 pick for Danny Green.

if this doesn't work, you still have the expiring contract of Miller, that would bring you a good player (or nice pick) at the deadline.

so, the trade for the pick was IMO a very bad and uncalled move.

the use of the pick either! you can't pass on Rubio, if he's surprisingly there? ok, maybe, but look at the possible scenarios. pick Rubio, use the #6 for a potential complementary player to him (Henderson wouldn't have been a bad idea for that) and as the injurance for the case he doesn't come immediately I use the #18 pick on Lawson and not sell this pick. (or whoever decent PG is there, there were enough in the draft to be sure that at least one competent PG will still be on the board.)
you end up with Rubio, Henderson, Lawson and Green. for example. more potential and less drama.
so again: Kahn made two major mistakes within a short time, he blew the trade and he blew the draft. that's McHaleish. on the other hand: why do I care for the Wolves. should be happy that Mike Miller has found a new home (maybe another bad situation for him though. damn, this guy would be great in a minor role but, with a team like Spurs or Celtics)

Nice insight. :tu

Before last season I actually drafted Miller in a Yahoo league, and traded for him in Dynasty, because I thought he'd be the perfect outside shooter and all-court player to team up with Al Jefferson... instead, he had a terrible year and failed to fit at all. I think it was either the coach or the organisation (and some misfortune with injuries), because he should have thrived there. I have a feeling we'll see a comeback year from Mike on this exciting Wizards team.

As for Foye, I was never a fan of his but saw some real signs of improvement last year. For two years the Wolves tried to use him at the point, which clearly didn't suit the guy, but last year he relinquished most of the PG duties to Bassy and looked much more comfortable. He needs to shoot better shots, but that's true of a lot of younger guards. I think he'll be a pleasant surprise for Washington.

KidCongo
09-17-2009, 07:12 AM
If Flynn pans out and they get a starting 2 guard, sessions would be great off the bench.