PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Best Dunkers Of The Last Decade

duncan228
09-11-2009, 05:26 PM
The 10 best dunkers of the last decade (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-10-best-dunkers-of-the-last-decade?urn=nba,188902)
By Kelly Dwyer
Ball Don't Lie

OK, we know the first decade of the 21st century doesn't really end until 2011. We think. But we also know there have been 10 full NBA seasons played since the phrase "Y2K" was on all of our lips (1999-2000), and here at Ball Don't Lie we've decided to use this as an offseason excuse to rank some of the best and not-so-brightest of the 10 campaigns in question. The result? Why, top 10 lists!

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to this list.

We merely ranked the 10 finest dunkers we saw over the last 10 years, based on how much they made us squeal and/or mug in our own living room(s) over the last decade. No stats, no documentation besides a sordid past and lots of YouTube'ness, no way to prove that I'm wrong or right.

I'm right, though. You'll see. Click the jump for the 10 finest dunkers of the last decade.

10. James White

White played a total of 10 games in the NBA over the course of this decade, long enough to grab himself a fancy sombrero as a member of the 2007 San Antonio Spurs. That's enough, you know. Don't believe me? Click (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=james+white+dunk&search_type=&aq=f).

9. Shaquille O'Neal

You want anything to do with him? Seriously? Look at Tayshaun Prince's face. He might not be tossing it through his legs, but there's no stopping the Dah-day when he's deep in the paint.

8. Josh Smith

A bit of an airhead but, well, we kind of like that. Lovely windmills and all sorts of fantastic two-hand flushes for Smith, who probably couldn't provide you with the full names of more than two of his assistant coaches, but can dunk from the free throw line with two hands.

7. Amar'e Stoudemire

He may not go for it as much as he used to, but Amar'e will dunk on you. He'll also give you a sound showing in the 2005 dunk contest, he'll give up 42 points to Al Jefferson, and he'll still dunk on you. Good to know.

6. Andre Iguodala

Absolutely and utterly robbed in the 2006 dunk contest. We love Nate Robinson, he nearly made this list, but AI blows him out of the water overall. Too much hops, too much range, too many moves.

5. LeBron James

James may have the biggest vertical in the NBA, but he doesn't pull off a lot of shocking work in the air. Doesn't really need to, if we're honest, as his ability to sky and essentially have his entire forearm and elbow above the rim as the ball goes down constantly leaves us shaking our heads, and his opponents muttering.

4. Jason Maxiell

He eats babies (http://www.detroitbadboys.com/archives/2007-01-29/the-jason-maxiell-eats-babies-t-shirt/), you know. Good god, look at that picture! Look at the confusion in Hedo Turkoglu's face! Look at how gobsmacked Rafer Alston is! Look at the sheer terror and fear in Dwight Howard's mug!

3. Jason Richardson

Quite creative, willing to pull off full 360s in game action, and sort of a mini-Dominique Wilkins. That's good enough for us.

2. Dwight Howard

Yeah, he gets his head above the rim. A good chunk of the time, actually. He's the only guy on this list, that I can recall, who has actually beat a team on a last second shot that was actually drawn up for him to dunk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI2rLv8Hkl4). That doesn't happen very often.

1. Vince Carter

Not only did VC do that to Frederic Weis, but ...

Well, he did that to Frederic Weis. That's enough for a top five inclusion.

Carter goes at people. He ticks us off, but he still goes at people. Always has.

Give him a good knee to the thigh, bump him in the shoulder, give his ankle a tweak, remind him of Evil Knievel's crash at Caesar's Palace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGGCVE2lKY), and he'll lay on the floor for eight minutes, while teammates indifferent crowd around him, and the television station carrying the game is forced to go to a commercial. It's annoying as hell.

Don't provide him with a supporting cast he feels accurate? If he's in Toronto, he'll sulk and loaf. In New Jersey, he'll play strong and inspired. Go figure. It's annoying as hell.

Tell him that he could add four more points per game to his scoring average if he just drove more, getting to the line a la Dwyane Wade(notes). Try it. He won't do it. It's annoying as hell.

Vince Carter is annoying as hell. On that, we can all agree.

But he can dunk. And he's gotten everyone.

Weis. Dikembe Mutombo. Alonzo Mourning, repeatedly. The Pacers, the Celtics, the whole flippin' NBA.

Not only is he the best dunker of the last decade, he's the best of all time. And that's someone with Michael Jordan bedsheets talking.

It's annoying as hell, but VC can throw down. Bow down.

Chieflion
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Why the fuck is LeBron top 5?

J.R Smith was fantastic, Nate Robinson should be there somewhere no matter how much I hate him. Jason Richardson should be number 2. Steve Francis was good, too bad he was overlooked because of Vince Carter.

lil_penny
09-11-2009, 05:43 PM
No kobe or tmac?

23LeBronJames23
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Its VC and then everybody else...

21_Blessings
09-11-2009, 06:00 PM
No kobe or tmac?

It's Dwyer. Hates everything Kobe.

Muser
09-11-2009, 06:03 PM
To have Shaq on a best Dunkers list and no Kobe = fail.

m33p0
09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
no Duncan? lame!

:lol

gaKNOW!blee
09-11-2009, 06:10 PM

J.R Smith was fantastic, Nate Robinson should be there somewhere no matter how much I hate him. Jason Richardson should be number 2. Steve Francis was good, too bad he was overlooked because of Vince Carter.

You have never watched Lebron play?

Chieflion
09-11-2009, 06:16 PM
You have never watched Lebron play?
Nate should kick him out of the top 5, and he aint even on the list. Same goes for Kobe. No contest. Can we see LeBron do something different rather than tomahawk it in a game before we claim him as top 5?

BlackSwordsMan
09-11-2009, 06:16 PM
james white got a nod over kobe
holy shit

Chieflion
09-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Holy shit. I just realised Jason freaking Maxiell is in this list. List epic fail. Same goes for James White.

23LeBronJames23
09-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Nate should kick him out of the top 5, and he aint even on the list. Same goes for Kobe. No contest. Can we see LeBron do something different rather than tomahawk it in a game before we claim him as top 5?

he does windmills, reverse dunks, two handed slams, and more different ones...

go watch some LeBron dunk mixes

iggypop123
09-11-2009, 06:28 PM
maxiell! haha dwywer strikes again

Chieflion
09-11-2009, 06:31 PM
he does windmills, reverse dunks, two handed slams, and more different ones...

go watch some LeBron dunk mixes
Not better than Kobe Bryant, J.R Smith, Nate Robinson, Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala.

Culburn369
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
What hinders Bryant is he can't palm the damn thing.

gaKNOW!blee
09-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Not better than Kobe Bryant, J.R Smith, Nate Robinson, Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala.

What do those last three do in games that are so different from lebron?

Chieflion
09-11-2009, 07:34 PM
What do those last three do in games that are so different from lebron?
Josh Smith won the dunk contest wowing the crowd.
Nate Robinson won at least one non-controversially. In fact, smallest dunker since Spud Webb derserves some props.

Andre Iguodala- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6z9-l4hnMM

Do this.

gaKNOW!blee
09-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah...and Lebron hasnt been in one.

Lebron's pregame dunks are aboslutley amazing. If he enters next year he will win it.

Chieflion
09-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah...and Lebron hasnt been in one.

Lebron's pregame dunks are aboslutley amazing. If he enters next year he will win it.
Of course he will win. The NBA will rig the results for the King.

gaKNOW!blee
09-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Ohhhh I get it.

You're just a Lebron hater. Don't bother with all those amazing highlights

BRHornet45
09-11-2009, 08:00 PM

son you should know by now that Lebron is automatically inserted into EVERY top 5 list in any category. It is all part of the media's big push trying to convince the American public that he is the greatest of all time. money talks

Chieflion
09-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Ohhhh I get it.

You're just a Lebron hater. Don't bother with all those amazing highlights
LeBron is not top 5, dimwit. Does the list even make sense to you? I got no problems admitting LeBron should be on this list and is currently the best player in the league. Top 5 dunker? Give me a break.

ambchang
09-11-2009, 11:44 PM
How in the world can this guy not have Kobe Bryant?

jCG0JIorzGI

#3 is my favourite Kobe dunk of all time, probably top 5 by any player.

zisjH5XQLPA

DJB
09-12-2009, 01:23 AM
VC at #1 isn't going to change for a long time.

Chieflion
09-12-2009, 02:10 AM
VC at #1 isn't going to change for a long time.
It cannot change. It is the end of this decade.

Texas_Ranger
09-12-2009, 07:07 AM
James Fucking White!!!!!

gaKNOW!blee
09-12-2009, 08:46 AM
LeBron is not top 5, dimwit. Does the list even make sense to you? I got no problems admitting LeBron should be on this list and is currently the best player in the league. Top 5 dunker? Give me a break.

Didn't Lebron once dunk from the free throw line in a game?

Chieflion
09-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Didn't Lebron once dunk from the free throw line in a game?
I would have seen it on youtube. Unfortunately, I doubt it was documented even if he did it. Most likely, it did not happen.

Culburn369
09-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I would have seen it on youtube. Unfortunately, I doubt it was documented even if he did it. Most likely, it did not happen.

No NBA player has ever dunked from behind the ft line. And before everybody goes off half cocked I want to make it clear: it hasn't been done without aid (trampoline, yada, yada, yada).

gaKNOW!blee
09-12-2009, 09:29 AM

search it then.

Culburn369
09-12-2009, 09:33 AM
search it then.

God willing & the creek don't rise that search will be in vain.

gaKNOW!blee
09-12-2009, 10:13 AM
http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2008/11/lebron-james-dunks-from-the-free-throw-line/

So it was a tad infront. Still impressive during a game.

Killakobe81
09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Who cares? Shitty list all-time though:
1. VC
2. Nique
3. MJ
4. Jrich
5. Kemp
6. Kobe

This list are of guys who could do oit in games and dun contests all won one (dunk contest) EXCEPT Kemp who got kinda robbed vs. Dee brown, Dee Brown was nice but Kemps dunk where he touched the back of his a$$ with the back of his sneaker was sick and they gave him crappy scores ...

spursfan1000
09-12-2009, 02:06 PM
If you think Kobe is a top 10 dunker that's rediculous. WHy is Lebron in top 10? Where is Nate Robinson??

Muser
09-12-2009, 03:29 PM
If you think Kobe is a top 10 dunker that's rediculous. WHy is Lebron in top 10? Where is Nate Robinson??

Putting Nate over Kobe? That's damn retarded.

Chieflion
09-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Who cares? Shitty list all-time though:
1. VC
2. Nique
3. MJ
4. Jrich
5. Kemp
6. Kobe

This list are of guys who could do oit in games and dun contests all won one (dunk contest) EXCEPT Kemp who got kinda robbed vs. Dee brown, Dee Brown was nice but Kemps dunk where he touched the back of his a$$ with the back of his sneaker was sick and they gave him crappy scores ...
Um, the title says top 10 dunkers of the last decade.

Chieflion
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2008/11/lebron-james-dunks-from-the-free-throw-line/

So it was a tad infront. Still impressive during a game.
I know Clyde Drexler did it before in a game. Check out number 1. I think he was a tad in front but at least he had more pressure on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjJA93Xy9Y

jacobdrj
09-15-2009, 09:52 AM
You need to understand what the author defines as a good dunker. He obviously isn't looking for finesse dunkers who can do cool moves in the air while putting the ball in the hole. It is obvious when this guy likes to see a dunk, he likes it to be a slam-backboard-breaking affair. This is a fantastic list.

manufan10
09-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Jason Maxiell and James White ahead of T-Mac and Kobe makes this list full of fail.

Culburn369
09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
"tad in front" don't count. There is a plethora of dunks broaching the ft line.

jacobdrj
09-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Jason Maxiell and James White ahead of T-Mac and Kobe makes this list full of fail.

Again, they are not power dunkers. They are more in line with Karl Malone style soft dunks. Not to say they never do tommahawk slams, but not like the other big men dunking on the list.

List isn't fail, you just think of a slam dunk differently than the author.

kamikazi_player
09-15-2009, 05:28 PM
i would have the list like this
10. D-Ho
9. Josh Smith
8. Gerald Green
7. Andre Iguodala
6. Amare
5. T-mac
4. Steve Francis
3. Kobe
2. J-rich
1. VC

TheMACHINE
09-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I guess the author dont like creative dunks...he just wants power dunkers. Kobe's best dunks came from crazy angles and crazy moves to get there. Come on now...he has Shaq on the list. =P

manufan10
09-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Again, they are not power dunkers. They are more in line with Karl Malone style soft dunks. Not to say they never do tommahawk slams, but not like the other big men dunking on the list.

List isn't fail, you just think of a slam dunk differently than the author.

6. Andre Iguodala

Absolutely and utterly robbed in the 2006 dunk contest. We love Nate Robinson, he nearly made this list, but AI blows him out of the water overall. Too much hops, too much range, too many moves.

5. LeBron James

James may have the biggest vertical in the NBA, but he doesn't pull off a lot of shocking work in the air. Doesn't really need to, if we're honest, as his ability to sky and essentially have his entire forearm and elbow above the rim as the ball goes down constantly leaves us shaking our heads, and his opponents muttering.

3. Jason Richardson

Quite creative, willing to pull off full 360s in game action, and sort of a mini-Dominique Wilkins. That's good enough for us. These guys aren't "power dunkers." If you're going to list these guys, along with Vince Carter, then Kobe and T-Mac deserve to be on there. Especially in front of Maxiell and James White.

Allanon
09-15-2009, 09:09 PM
VC is definitely number one, T-Mac should have also made the list.

#8 Kobe had some of the most spectacular in game dunks ever.

Crazy specimens like Nate Robinson and Shaq should also get on the list. A 360 dunk by a 350 pound guy is amazing.

aCyKTRRK7bM
Maxiell, James White, wtf?

dirk4mvp
09-15-2009, 09:59 PM
T-Mac should be right behind VC.

Donkeybong
09-15-2009, 10:40 PM
lol fuck that list

Chieflion
09-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Damn. I forgot about Gerald Green.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Hell, check this out! I'd forgotten those Jefferson posterizers, but not Malik's complete demolition of Mutumbo!

mZyqlpwIL2k

manufan10
09-16-2009, 10:18 AM
VC is definitely number one, T-Mac should have also made the list.

#8 Kobe had some of the most spectacular in game dunks ever.

Crazy specimens like Nate Robinson and Shaq should also get on the list. A 360 dunk by a 350 pound guy is amazing.

aCyKTRRK7bM
Maxiell, James White, wtf?

:wow

I don't remember seeing that.