PDA

View Full Version : Why do teams...

j_epsilon
04-12-2005, 12:04 AM
..draft players the likes of Josh Smith, mr. dunk champion? I mean all he does is dunk and "entertain"...do they draft these kids in hopes of selling tickets??? That's all he is really going to do. He is not going to make anyone better. The likes of this guy belong in the And 1 basketball tournament.

Anyone got some input?

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Apparently you don't watch much basketball. Josh Smith isn't just a dunker. He's a great shot blocker, a good rebounder and a developing talent.

MarkyMark
04-12-2005, 12:22 AM
He is only a rookie out of high-school, he will be very good in a couple of years.

nacho estrada
04-12-2005, 12:25 AM
I wanted S.A. to draft him in the last draft..he's raw undeveloped talent waiting to be molded.

infinite styles
04-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Its not like Atlanta was looking to win a championship this year. Its a long process and you gotta start somewhere and to me that was a pretty good pickup for them cause now they have a potential star in the making to go along with Al Harrington.

Victor Newman
04-12-2005, 12:28 AM
This person has talent, maybe you can work for me at NewMan Enterprises

MI21
04-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Josh is incredible at blocking shots and a good rebounder.

His athleticism helps him get by offensively untill his game develops, he is still a teenager.

If he has the right work ethic and attitude, he could be a star. Sort of player I would love on the Spurs.

T Park
04-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Apparently you don't watch much basketball.

his comments in other threads have proven that already.

howbouthemspurs
04-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Josh is going to be great in a couple of years when he adds a little more virtues to his game.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-12-2005, 01:58 AM
I dont understand teams that draft young players on potential and plan to develop there games. Like Detroit with Milicic, such a waste of a draft pick, his contract will be up and he'll be signing somewhere else before Detroit is able to develop his game.

slayermin
04-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Milicic would have thrived in an environment like SA. Too bad he's stuck in Detroit.

I have been extremely impressed by Dwight Howard. I love Okafor but Howard is a freak.

MI21
04-12-2005, 03:18 AM
i agree...darko will never resign there....and what if they drafted carmelo

The Lakers would have won the championship last season.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-12-2005, 03:25 AM
I woulda took wade over carmello.

MI21
04-12-2005, 03:27 AM
how do u figure? carmelo would have feuded with the coach about playing time (think summer Olympics), but Darko did his share of complaining as well...

Because Tayshaun Princes ability may never have been realised/found out if Carmelo was starting. Personally, I think Tayshaun > Carmelo anyway, not to mention him being a better fit for Detroit.

Ginofan
04-12-2005, 06:07 AM
I love Josh, he's great! But on the whole dunk contest champion thingie...I'm invovled in a heated debate over at ClubLakers on Jrich vs Manu. Dunk Champion vs Olympic MVP All Star...in my eyes it's no contest, but I could be slightly biased. ;) I've posted stats upon stats and facts upon facts, but I think it's just the fact that Manu is a Spur and JRich is a flashy dunker that alot of the people in the debate refuse to recognize Manu for the player he is :lol

Ginofan
04-12-2005, 06:08 AM
I woulda took wade over carmello.

But would you take Wade over the Carmello that plays now, the one under George Karl. I can't believe the change in that team since the All Star break...they totally flipped a switch.

MI21
04-12-2005, 07:21 AM
But would you take Wade over the Carmello that plays now, the one under George Karl.

Carmelo hasn't been nearly as good as Wade since at least the start of last seasons playoffs.

Solid D
04-12-2005, 07:34 AM
..draft players the likes of Josh Smith, mr. dunk champion? I mean all he does is dunk and "entertain"...do they draft these kids in hopes of selling tickets??? That's all he is really going to do. He is not going to make anyone better. The likes of this guy belong in the And 1 basketball tournament.

Anyone got some input?

J_epsilon, do you live in the ATL area and get to see Josh frequently? If you watch Sportscenter or FOX highlights, you are going to see his spectacular plays. He's a bonafide Sportscenter regular because of his hops and ability. Al Harrington and Josh are about all ATL has a attractions. It is the entertainment business, though, and that franchise needs to attract ticketholders and fan interest to stay viable.

Josh is very far from a complete player. He needs developing but...quick, without looking it up, who is his coach right now? The first time I saw Josh was in a HS All-Star game and he looked like he was dogging it (not hustling) and sort of one-dimensional but that game wasn't really about the competition.

I've seen him in a handfull of games this year and I think for him to become a more complete player, he'll need to improve his shot out on the floor. His play without the ball is unremarkable until he goes to the hoop. Since he plays at small forward most of the time, he needs to do add to his perimeter game. He'll add to his bulk over the years and he may be destined for PF. He'll have to play harder, more often, and get some good teaching to be a complete player. He's got out-of-this-world talent, no doubt.

You asked for input... that's mine.