PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Not Like Mike, Robinson Wins

duncan228
09-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Not like Mike, Robinson wins (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Not_like_Mike_Robinson_wins.html)
Buck Harvey

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Jerry Sloan choked up when he talked about his late wife. John Stockton choked up when he talked about his late mother.

Michael Jordan cried, with tears running down his face, after watching a video of his basketball career.

“The game of basketball has been everything to me,” Jordan said after he spent considerable time thanking all of those who had inspired him to crush them.

Take a bow, David Robinson.

At this time in your life, you have surpassed the greatest basketball player who ever lived.

Not that Robinson would see it that way. That was true earlier in the day, when Jordan had been sequestered in a wing of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame — right next to the Michael Jordan exhibit.

Jordan emerged, with fans pushed back by security, and he walked toward the podium for his turn. All eyes in the audience turned in that direction.

Robinson, meanwhile, still was on the podium, speaking.

Robinson didn't notice. Had he, he wouldn't have cared. Robinson always reacted to what mattered to him, not to what mattered to others. That's why he was the perfect MVP, two-ringed scoring champ to be inducted with Jordan.

Stockton and Sloan fit, too. They've never been the kind of men bothered by a lack of attention.

But Stockton and Sloan were closer to Jordan in commitment to the sport. Robinson, in this group, was the outsider. That was clear in 1992, when Stockton, Robinson and Jordan joined in allegiance to both country and Nike.

Robinson and Jordan occasionally played golf between Olympic engagements, and Charles Barkley was a mutual friend. But when they closed the gym doors and scrimmaged, their differences were obvious.

Jordan said Friday that one day in Monte Carlo — attended by just a handful of media — might have been the best game he ever played in. There were 10 Hall of Famers going at it for pride.

Jordan said, privately, he couldn't understand why Robinson didn't live for this as the others did. Jordan called Robinson “The Negotiator” then because Jordan thought he analyzed too much.

Robinson cared about basketball. He liked winning, too, which made for a faith-based joke Friday night. Then, he asked if anyone in the audience had ever gotten on his knees to really pray for something.

To Robinson, that's what he did for Tim Duncan.

But Robinson always filled the lane with a contrasting set of priorities. That summer in Barcelona, for example, his Dream Team moment was personal. Once he went to the roof of his Barcelona hotel to play the saxophone with a jazz musician.

Robinson hadn't grown up loving basketball. He had grown to 7-foot-1. He'd been given the body and the athletic ability, and he worked this sport as he would a job.

Jordan breathed it. “Take away that little, round ball,” Jordan said of this year's class, “and we all would have struggled in life.”

Robinson wouldn't have. He would have been content as a naval officer, or as a mathematician, or as a preacher.

That was evident as he stood on stage in Springfield's Symphony Hall and spoke individually to his three sons. He didn't tear up, perhaps because he understood; as great as this honor was, it was just an honor.

Jordan, instead, can't let go of the game, and his list of perceived slights was laughable. The so-called freeze-out involving George Gervin in the mid-'80s was one. Jordan still hangs on that?

Jordan has held the Hall of Fame at a distance, because it signals an end. He admits he will never have anything that means as much.

“You may look up someday,” he said at the end of his speech Friday night, “and see me playing at the age of 50.”

Robinson?

He heads home to San Antonio, to his family, to his church, to his school.

As if life is just starting.

slick'81
09-12-2009, 12:17 AM
jordan did seem like he couldnt let his career go basketball is everything to him.

Robinson loved to win and compete but basketball wasnt his life and i respect that

whottt
09-12-2009, 12:26 AM
David's motivation to win a title was that it was his duty. He was a #1 draft pick, he was paid millions of dollars to make the playoffs and bring a championship to city of San Antonio, and so that's what he played for. And he played hard, and he gave it his all, and he gave up his body, and celebrity to achieve it. It's wrong when people say he didn't try or didn't want too...he just wasn't in love with it like most other any NBA players are. But he was commited to living up the expectations of him...not because he wanted it, but because everyone else in San Antonio did.

His motivation was never to be the greatest basketball player ever, or win more championships than anyone...I'm sure he liked winning(liked it a hell of a lot better than he did losing), but it was never about personal glory for him.

If it had been? He probably wouldn't have stepped aside for Tim Duncan.

Blackjack
09-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Jordan breathed it. “Take away that little, round ball,” Jordan said of this year's class, “and we all would have struggled in life.”

I had the same reaction as Buck after hearing that remark.

Robinson would have been just fine without basketball.

He was blessed with the athleticism and body to play basketball, and I no doubt feel he enjoyed and respected the game to give it an honest effort, but it was just never his life's passion.

And to think that he's a top 10 All-Time Center, given his late start and path to the league, it just speaks to how special of a talent he really was.

baseline bum
09-12-2009, 12:36 AM
How could Ice, a member of the West team, have anything to do with the freeze-out of Jordan other than doing his job and playing D?

Fpoonsie
09-12-2009, 12:39 AM

Robinson wouldn't have. He would have been content as a naval officer, or as a mathematician, or as a preacher.

I actually thought the same thing when Mike said this. I quickly looked at Dave and he had this thoughtful, introspective look on his face.

On the other hand, I kinda feel for Mike. As Buck writes, the game was all that he ever had. It's what defined him. It's gotta be terribly difficult to leave that all behind, only to look forward to...? What? Reminiscing about what was?

Fpoonsie
09-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I had the same reaction as Buck after hearing that remark.

Robinson would have been just fine without basketball.

He was blessed with the athleticism and body to play basketball, and I no doubt feel he enjoyed and respected the game to give it an honest effort, but it was just never his life's passion.

And to think that he's a top 10 All-Time Center, given his late start and path to the league, it just speaks to how special of a talent he really was.

:lol

Dammit. Not fast enough.

whottt
09-12-2009, 01:19 AM
I actually thought the same thing when Mike said this. I quickly looked at Dave and he had this thoughtful, introspective look on his face.

On the other hand, I kinda feel for Mike. As Buck writes, the game was all that he ever had. It's what defined him. It's gotta be terribly difficult to leave that all behind, only to look forward to...? What? Reminiscing about what was?

That is the point David Robinson has been trying to make his entire career and life....endless success in personal achievement and glory isn't some kind of gateway to satisfaction and happiness. David has plenty of that but it doesn't mean much....I think he does it so people will listen to him and so he can help others, not because he gets off on it.

Michael Jordan is not happy because of his success...I have never gotten that vibe from him. Maybe for a few seconds as he won a championship he found something, but it didn't last, that's why he had to keep coming back for more.

He's right there with Michael Jackson...I wouldn't want either of those guys celebrity, it looks like total misery to me. Yeah it'd be cool to knock down shots and be everybody's sports hero like Jordan....but is it worth never being able to live a normal life?

David can walk around San Antonio and is treated like a typical person even though the only difference between and he and Jordan NBA accomplishment wise is 4 NBA championships. His great partner in winning is a true friend, instead of a rival, he is beloved and respected(except for a few idiots) by his country, by his city, by his friends...

Jordan has a wall between he and everyone he knows, anything he does is a spectacle...and he's got nothing to complete him now.

IMO, that's what David's been saying his entire career, that's what he was saying at the end of his speech.

He got that story book ending to his career, because it wasn't the most important thing to him and he had something else. Jordan got the same ending but it wasn't enough for him so he came back and lost it.

David is a smart smart guy, able to achieve almost the same level of success in things he isn't interested in as people who are obsessed with that kind of success....and I think he knows exactly what he's talking about. More people should listen to him I think.

I'll say this too...and the end of the road, Michael Jordan is going to have moved a lot closer to where David Robinson is at now in his outlook than David is going to go Michael's way, because there's really nothing that way, and David already knows it.

whottt
09-12-2009, 01:28 AM
How could Ice, a member of the West team, have anything to do with the freeze-out of Jordan other than doing his job and playing D?

Was a surprise to me too...wasn't Jordan injured the year he and Ice were teamates? So it wasn''t that year.

I always thought Ice and Jordan were friends...

Edit: Fixed

spursfan09
09-12-2009, 01:34 AM
The greatest thing about that little round basketball was that that it brought David Robinson to us- San Antonio. He would have been just fine without it, but the path might not have brought him here.

spursfan09
09-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Was a surprise to me too...wasn't Jordan injured the year he and Ice were teamates? So it wasn''t that year.

I always thought Ice and Gervin were friends...

I'm pretty sure they are the same person, so ofcourse they are friends. :)

whottt
09-12-2009, 01:42 AM
:lol yeah you'd hope so....

PM5K
09-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Give me a fucking break, that chip he carried on his shoulder was exactly what made him the best.

baseline bum
09-12-2009, 02:45 AM

I always thought Ice and Jordan were friends...

Edit: Fixed

Nah, there was lots of static between Ice and Jordan. Jordan was pissed about the freeze-out, he was pissed that Ice made more money than him, and they both played the same role on the team. Jordan was an enormous prick to all his teammates.

whottt
09-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Nah, there was lots of static between Ice and Jordan. Jordan was pissed about the freeze-out, he was pissed that Ice made more money than him, and they both played the same role on the team. Jordan was an enormous prick to all his teammates.

Never heard all that...not that the time, not since. In fact I've always heard Jordan give Ice credit for teaching him how to win scoring titles...

I wasn't in SA when all that went down and the sports media sucked back then...so it probably was closer to what you are describing.

I don't see how anybody can dislike George Gervin though...

whottt
09-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Give me a fucking break, that chip he carried on his shoulder was exactly what made him the best.

But it's also why he's got rivals instead of friends and picked someone who near as I can tell was just about a total stranger to induct him...like he said, even David Thompson probably didn't see that coming(and Thompson agreed). You ask me...I'd rather do what David did than Michael...David seems to be more at peace.

I do think it's funny though, Michael Jordan announced his return after David announced his retirement, and he knew full well he was going to overshadow anyone he went into the Hall with...he picks David Thompson to be his presenter after George Gervin is David's presenter...these two are definitely opposites with totally opposite world views and it wouldn't surprise me to find out Jordan did all that just to overshadow and compete with David Robinson.

And David Robinson couldn't care less.

Vito Corleone
09-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Here is the story of Jordan and Gervin.

When Gervin was traded to the bulls in the mid-80's Gervin was having a real drug problem. He along with many of the Bulls used to sniff coke.

when Jordan arrived he tried to basically take over the team, and with good reason, he was easily the best player and future of the franchise. This of course didn't sit well with any of the current players. Think of Jordan as the same guy he was later in life without the credentials to back it up.

In an effort to teach the kid a lesson the bulls players got together and basically decided to act like he wasn't even on the court during games.

It was easy to do this since all the other bulls were pretty much coke heads while Jordan was basically drug free. Jordan didn't associate with the other players outside of practice.

what it came down to was that Jordan tried to take on a role that the rest of his team didn't think he deserved, and since the team sucked really really bad, no one cared to be a leader so they pulled the little freeze out on him.

No one else cared because frankly it was the middle of the Laker/Celtic hay days.

whottt
09-12-2009, 03:12 AM

When Gervin was traded to the bulls in the mid-80's Gervin was having a real drug problem. He along with many of the Bulls used to sniff coke.

I thought his coke problem began in SA....

when Jordan arrived he tried to basically take over the team, and with good reason, he was easily the best player and future of the franchise. This of course didn't sit well with any of the current players. Think of Jordan as the same guy he was later in life without the credentials to back it up.

In an effort to teach the kid a lesson the bulls players got together and basically decided to act like he wasn't even on the court during games.

It was easy to do this since all the other bulls were pretty much coke heads while Jordan was basically drug free. Jordan didn't associate with the other players outside of practice.

what it came down to was that Jordan tried to take on a role that the rest of his team didn't think he deserved, and since the team sucked really really bad, no one cared to be a leader so they pulled the little freeze out on him.

No one else cared because frankly it was the middle of the Laker/Celtic hay days.

Sounds plausible enough...but rookies always get that kind of treatment. He included Isiah with Gervin though...and what ever freeze outs there were Isiah and Gervin weren't ever in on one toegether.

I wonde why he didn't mention getting into a fight with Steve Kerr...

Vito Corleone
09-12-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm pretty sure Gervin's drug problem started in the 70's not when he was traded to the bulls. Forgot about Isiah, and yea Isiah did it too in the All-star game.

Isiah always hated Jordan because he felt he was the heir to Bird and the Celts when they went down hill. Isiah orchestrated some shady things to make Jordan look bad in his early year. Jordan returned the favor by not allowing Isiah to be on the original dream team.

When the bulls finally beat the Pistons the big thing was the Pistons walked off the court without a word to the bulls players.

PM5K
09-12-2009, 04:40 AM
It just seems like the article is saying that David wasn't as committed to the sports as Jordan, Stockton, or Sloan and that somehow that's a good thing because his life isn't over after basketball, it's just beginning.

To me that's utter bullshit.

whottt
09-12-2009, 04:47 AM
It just seems like the article is saying that David wasn't as committed to the sports as Jordan, Stockton, or Sloan
He wasn't. Yet there he is in the HOF.

and that somehow that's a good thing because his life isn't over after basketball, it's just beginning.

You just remember you said that when Drob runs for President.

PM5K
09-12-2009, 05:09 AM
You just remember you said that when Drob runs for President.

Dude we'll never have a real black President, what's wrong with you?

SenorSpur
09-12-2009, 05:19 AM
David's motivation to win a title was that it was his duty. He was a #1 draft pick, he was paid millions of dollars to make the playoffs and bring a championship to city of San Antonio, and so that's what he played for. And he played hard, and he gave it his all, and he gave up his body, and celebrity to achieve it. It's wrong when people say he didn't try or didn't want too...he just wasn't in love with it like most other any NBA players are. But he was commited to living up the expectations of him...not because he wanted it, but because everyone else in San Antonio did.

His motivation was never to be the greatest basketball player ever, or win more championships than anyone...I'm sure he liked winning(liked it a hell of a lot better than he did losing), but it was never about personal glory for him.

If it had been? He probably wouldn't have stepped aside for Tim Duncan.

Amen!

:toast

SenorSpur
09-12-2009, 05:40 AM
I, too, have always thought the criticism Dave received about his attitude toward basketball was way off-base. Critics acted as though he didn't want to win or that he didn't have a passion for basketball, simply because he never allowed himself to be defined solely by the game.

With all the highlights I've seen of him recently and from following his career since Day One in San Antonio, I can tell anyone that nothing can be further from the truth. While Avery gets credit for being the fiery leader of the team, however it was David who was the unquestioned soul of those teams. Teams, which by the way, weren't very good. His leadership style, while different from Avery, was very apparent. Watch the highlights of David's career and you'll see there were hundreds of instances where David led the pre-game pep talks, pre-game prayers, roused the bench players to stay ready to be called upon when needed, and inspired his team by his on-court play and his off-court encouragement. It didn't happen early, he had to grow into that role.

Anyone who thinks David didn't care about winning couldn't possibly have known how dejected and depressed he was after that stunning upset by the Rockets in the '95 WCF, where Hakeem Olajuwon literally took apart Robinson and the Spurs, as a whole. A period he described as the "lowest moment of his career". I doubt a player like Joe Barry Carroll ever uttered those words.

Anyone who thinks David didn't have a passion for the game couldn't know how starved he was for to play around a more talented roster than what was given him earlier in his career. Or how much he worked to become a better player; the manner in which he kept himself in top condition. Or how elated he was to have the great Tim Duncan fall into the Spurs laps with the first overall pick of the 1997 NBA draft lottery. A point he made very evident during his HOF induction speech.

If anybody ever thought David didn't care about winning, just watch how jacked up he was during the 1999 NBA playoffs leading up to that epic battle versus the scrappy New York Knicks. Or his reaction and the jubilation that he exhibited after winning that first title. For himself, Sean and Avery, it was the culmination of a tedious journey. Watch the utter joy that he expressed during that final season leading up to the 2003 championship victory over the Nets. Along the way, David himself spoke of how much he was enjoying the journey of what was his farewell season. Training camp, practice, games, he was simply taking it all in for the last time. He even said what every athlete says as they are about to leave their respective sport - that "while he would miss the competition, he would mainly miss the camraderie with the fellas in the lockerroom".

While some critics, fans, and even some opponents developed an inaccurate perception of Big Dave, the fact remains that his whole life has been and is about service - whether it be toward his community, his country, his family, his students or his teammates. As Doc Rivers once said, "It wasn't until I became a teammate of his that I truly came to understand what a great player and better person he really is". For Robinson to be able to deliver upon is desire to bring a championship to the city of San Antonio, had to have been a watershed moment for him. It's obvious that he felt an enormous debt to the city since his arrival in 1987. This is just speculation on my part, but I would guess that he probably wanted to win those championships more for the fans, the organization and former Spurs players, than he did for himself. He's always maintained a close connection with George Gervin, so that tells you something about his appreciation for the Spurs history.

While, it's clear that David had a passion for a lot of other things in his well-balanced life and would have likely been successful in whatever he chose to do, he never forgot that basketball was the vehicle which provided him the platform for his success. And that his faith in God and the talented gifts he received were to be utilized to make the world around him better. That's not just passion for his sport, that's a passion for life and humanity.

In the end, David didn't need to be like Mike or anyone else. Who he was then and who he is now is good enough. We, as Spurs fans, are truly fortunate that he passed this way.

MarHill
09-12-2009, 08:46 AM
I, too, have always thought the criticism Dave received about his attitude toward basketball was way off-base. Critics acted as though he didn't want to win or that he didn't have a passion for basketball, simply because he never allowed himself to be defined solely by the game.

With all the highlights I've seen of him recently and from following his career since Day One in San Antonio, I can tell anyone that nothing can be further from the truth. While Avery gets credit for being the fiery leader of the team, however it was David who was the unquestioned soul of those teams. Teams, which by the way, weren't very good. His leadership style, while different from Avery, was very apparent. Watch the highlights of David's career and you'll see there were hundreds of instances where David led the pre-game pep talks, pre-game prayers, roused the bench players to stay ready to be called upon when needed, and inspired his team by his on-court play and his off-court encouragement. It didn't happen early, he had to grow into that role.

Anyone who thinks David didn't care about winning couldn't possibly have known how dejected and depressed he was after that stunning upset by the Rockets in the '95 WCF, where Hakeem Olajuwon literally took apart Robinson and the Spurs, as a whole. A period he described as the "lowest moment of his career". I doubt a player like Joe Barry Carroll ever uttered those words.

Anyone who thinks David didn't have a passion for the game couldn't know how starved he was for to play around a more talented roster than what was given him earlier in his career. Or how much he worked to become a better player; the manner in which he kept himself in top condition. Or how elated he was to have the great Tim Duncan fall into the Spurs laps with the first overall pick of the 1997 NBA draft lottery. A point he made very evident during his HOF induction speech.

If anybody ever thought David didn't care about winning, just watch how jacked up he was during the 1999 NBA playoffs leading up to that epic battle versus the scrappy New York Knicks. Or his reaction and the jubilation that he exhibited after winning that first title. For himself, Sean and Avery, it was the culmination of a tedious journey. Watch the utter joy that he expressed during that final season leading up to the 2003 championship victory over the Nets. Along the way, David himself spoke of how much he was enjoying the journey of what was his farewell season. Training camp, practice, games, he was simply taking it all in for the last time. He even said what every athlete says as they are about to leave their respective sport - that "while he would miss the competition, he would mainly miss the camraderie with the fellas in the lockerroom".

While some critics, fans, and even some opponents developed an inaccurate perception of Big Dave, the fact remains that his whole life has been and is about service - whether it be toward his community, his country, his family, his students or his teammates. As Doc Rivers once said, "It wasn't until I became a teammate of his that I truly came to understand what a great player and better person he really is". For Robinson to be able to deliver upon is desire to bring a championship to the city of San Antonio, had to have been a watershed moment for him. It's obvious that he felt an enormous debt to the city since his arrival in 1987. This is just speculation on my part, but I would guess that he probably wanted to win those championships more for the fans, the organization and former Spurs players, than he did for himself. He's always maintained a close connection with George Gervin, so that tells you something about his appreciation for the Spurs history.

While, it's clear that David had a passion for a lot of other things in his well-balanced life and would have likely been successful in whatever he chose to do, he never forgot that basketball was the vehicle which provided him the platform for his success. And that his faith in God and the talented gifts he received were to be utilized to make the world around him better. That's not just passion for his sport, that's a passion for life and humanity.

In the end, David didn't need to be like Mike or anyone else. Who he was then and who he is now is good enough. We, as Spurs fans, are truly fortunate that he passed this way.

Senor Spur,

This post was well-written.

I believe you have summed up a good analysis about DRob's career.

I must admit that while TD is my favorite player....it was DRob's faith and inspiration that has changed my life.

I moved to San Antonio six years ago (I just celebrated it last week) from Albuquerque. And I was probably the only Spurs fan in Albquerque at that time. Everybody was either Lakers or Nuggets fans. (Denver is only 5 hours away from Albuquerque).

But, I had heard DRob speak about his faith after a game. I forget which game it was...but something told me I was going to move to San Antonio and become a believer in Christ.

Well, some months later after that interview....some things started to fall in place and I got a job in San Antonio after one phone interview.

I must admit I wasn't a believer in Christ at that time....but I felt his hand was behind this. I made a promise that if I moved to San Antonio.....I would give my life to him.

I left Albuquerque in Sept. 2003 and put all my belongings into my Maroon 1996 Infiniti I-30 and honored that promise I had made to God since then. I drove from Albuquerque and when I got to I-10, there is nothing on that interstate after you leave El Paso until you reach the Hill Country! :lol

While there has been some ups and downs, I've been blessed with a wonderful wife, a great stepson, and my daughter born a month ago.

I ended up finding out what church DRob went to and became a member. So I owed him a debt of gratitude and you never know what kind of influence you can have on people when you speak about your faith honestly and also your life can back it up.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Christians who can recite scripture and do the "Church lifestyle" really well....but their lives completely contradict that. And I have seen DRob many times at church and I have never gotten a sense of phoniness from him.

I'm forever grateful to DRob for putting that seed in me...even though I don't know him personally.

And to see him last night and hear his speech really touched me.

Congratulations to DRob for his career and induction into the Hall of Fame and helping gain another Brother-in-Christ.

:toast

exstatic
09-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't see it as a criticism to say Dave didn't burn for the game like MJ. I think it's an observation. I also think it's true. There's also nothing wrong with that. David had other priorities in his life. To get from where he was, which I will call the 98th percentile, up to the very top, which I will call the 99.9th percentile, would have required that he sacrifice everything else in his life. He chose to have other interests, develop lifelong friendships with team mates, and live a complete life. MJ had championships, but I don't think he had any of those other things. His life has pretty much been a series of train wrecks since he retired from b-ball. In fact, that ill fated two years with the Wiz may have been an effort to stall his HOF induction. It's kind of sad that MJ isn't yet 50, and his life is essentially over. He's still walking around and breathing, but the only thing he has ever loved, playing hoops at the highest level and being the best player, will be forever denied him now. He'll do stuff, like gambling, making bad front office decisions, etc., but what he's really doing is counting the heartbeats to his death.

callo1
09-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Never was a Jordan fan for all the very same reasons that came out in his speech last night. ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME and ME.

Can't argue with his talent, but the attitude always sucked IMHO. And no, I don't subscribe to that idea that his attitude was necessary to make him great.

He almost sounded insecure to me. "Don't laugh" or I will come back and play at 46 years of age. Dude, move on.

DRob is sooo much more well grounded in life. Yeah Jordan has more money, but they both have all they need and DRob is actually happy, so I would say he is in a much better position than Jordan.

From how he sounded last night, Jordan may end up like Howard Hughes in the near future.

callo1
09-12-2009, 11:12 AM

That is because passion defined by most people now days means thumping your chest and being a camera whore by performing pre-game rituals like tossing chalk all over everyone near the first row, hence the belief that most people have that KG has more "passion" than Timmy.

Wow, just to think, if Timmy had KG's "passion" then he could have had at least three more rings....come on TD...damn you.

Killakobe81
09-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Agreed. Same with Magic. Mj was great but has some major issues. his peech sucked compared to the others

DMX7
09-12-2009, 12:56 PM
He just said that in the moment. MJ's a smart guy who lets his emotions get the best of him sometimes. He would have been good at something if there was not basketball.

Drachen
09-12-2009, 01:57 PM
It just seems like the article is saying that David wasn't as committed to the sports as Jordan, Stockton, or Sloan and that somehow that's a good thing because his life isn't over after basketball, it's just beginning.

Who is this guy? I don't really pay attention to names when I read posts. Is this guy some kind of troll? Is he just a moron? Really, I don't get it.

Fpoonsie
09-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I hadn't actually watched the other inductee's speeches until a few minutes ago, and regardless of how David liked to shun the spotlight, I can't BELIEVE how much time these other guys were granted, while he was up and out in just a lil over 5.

I have no doubt that he had an AMAZING speech prepared that, unfortunately, we'll never be lucky enough to hear.

Fuckin' NBA. Fuckin' Jordan.

jman3000
09-12-2009, 04:51 PM
MJ may have inspired a few dozen players to be really good at basketball, but how many children/people has David Robinson inspired to be better people? I'd say it's in the thousands just inside San Antonio, not to mention Texas and Spurs/basketball fans around the world.

The Truth #6
09-12-2009, 05:40 PM
In hindsite, we can better appreciate the fact that David had interests outside of basketball. But if we hadn't won a title - I'm sure these issues, mainly that he didn't care enough about basketball, would be way more pronounced.

I appreciate that David was a complete person. As a fan, unfortunately, we aren't allowed any real insight into players outside the court so all we have is the player. It's a uni-directional exchange. I'm not sure how it would be otherwise.

As a fan through the 1980s, when we were close to going to the Finals with Ice and A-Train and then a few years later one of the worst teams in the NBA, I got to truly appreciate the great opportunity we had when David arrived.

The Spurs came VERY close to making it to the Finals in David's very first year. After that the expectations were high, and for good reason. Yet the initial talent of that team got away, in part because of bad character, and each subsequent defeat in the playoffs felt like a growing letdown to what we thought was going to be our moment.

I can see how David's reputation developed. I wanted us to do better in those years but never did I hold it against Dave. Without Dave we would have been a lottery team every year. Anyway, I suppose he is an enigma in some ways, given his all around world talents. But to me, he was always very open. I thought his interviews were the best of any athlete ever. He had incredible passion for whatever he was talking about. In fact, I think he's one of the best interviews of anyone, athlete or otherwise. Somehow Jordan was more easily understood, even though his private life was a complete mystery full of shadowy characters and motivations. I never understood that.

I think the American public can't handle complexity. Who knows?

SenorSpur
09-12-2009, 05:51 PM
MJ may have inspired a few dozen players to be really good at basketball, but how many children/people has David Robinson inspired to be better people? I'd say it's in the thousands just inside San Antonio, not to mention Texas and Spurs/basketball fans around the world.

Exactly.

Consider this.

MJ is a global icon. An international superstar. He perfected his craft so well that he became the best to have ever played it. The competitive drive and the narrow focus he possesses allowed him to become that great basketball player. For most of his life, he's been consumed with one thing - basketball. It has rewarded him with wealth beyond his wildest dreams, notoriety and celebrity that is incomprehensible. He has a loving family, good friends and a fine girlfriend. Yet with all that, he seems to be very unhappy. It's obvious he misses basketball very, very much.

Big Dave, on the other hand, is midrange sports star. Obviously not as well-recognized outside of the states. Regular guy in both attitude and personality. Never sought celebrity, recognition or the spotlight. Besides his obvious basketball prowess, his focus and perspective have always been on a broader level. A world outside of himself. Whether it be uplifting teammates, family and others around him, selfless contributions and service to his country and the community, or the education of children. He never allowed himself to be defined by any one thing.

Both are now in the Basketball hall of Fame, but who has the more fulfilling life now? Who looks more content and happiest?

whottt
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Saying basketball wasn't the most important thing to David doesn't mean to me he wasn't trying as hard as anyone else was. He viewed it as his duty, and he is all about his duty. He's probably more about his duty than guys who want to win championships are about winning championships, so when his duty is to win an NBA championship, he puts out just as much effort as guys who are totally consumed with winning a championship.

Let's look at this way, at these great competitors that wanted it so bad...

Shaq? Shaq routinely took the regular season off and got his operations done on company time.

David never did that.

AI? AI doesn't like practice. Getting David to practice was never a problem.

Hakeem?

Hakeem routinely would tank it during the regular season if he wasn't happy with his contract or his team.

Barkley? Barkley tanked it to force a trade, from a team that couldn't make the playoffs to one that could.

David never did that. He made the playoffs with whatever he had. By showing up to play every night.

Most of these guys would shut it down when they were physically injured too.

David on the other hand played through the Olympics with a hernia and basically ended his career as a Superstar in the process.

Michael Jordan? Michael loved the game so much he retired from it 2 or 3 times. To do other things...

David never did that either.

David may not have wanted to win a title just for the sake of winning a title as those other guys did...that doesn't mean he wasn't trying just as hard. All evidence points to the fact that he tried much harder, because his sense of duty dictated he do so.

Plus...let's face it, after busting his tail to get his team to the playoffs over an 82 game schedule, there's no way David just stopped caring at that point. He put all that effort into it, and as soon as he won a title, he would know he fulfilled his duty, at the least.

And the important way it translated out...when David said he was going to do everything in his power to bring a title to SA, he absolutely meant it, even if it meant idiots would not give him credit. He wasn't about getting the credit, he was about his doing his duty. If David cared about getting the credit so people would know what he did...he probably would not have, as Pop said, tutored his own superstar replacement unlike anyone else to ever play in this league. And that's probably why the Spurs are the only twin towers combo to win a title.

David's not really hard to understand...understand this, he's a good guy, and he wants to keep his word and fulfill his responsibilities. And do his duty, whether that be civic, personal, or if it's his simply his job. It's pretty simple actually.

David showed up much harder night in and night out throughout the grind of regular season games that just about every one of those guys that allegedly, "wanted it more". That why his teams were always in the playoffs, and appeared to be much better teams than they actually were. David showed up to play every night, he did all that unglamourous crap coaches wanted.

David = Good, strong, commited. Not weak, soft, ambivalent(about his obligations).

The only difference you saw on the court was when the Spurs finally raised the trophy, David looked relieved instead of overjoyed as everyone else was. Off the court it meant David stopped thinking about it as soon as he had done his daily duty, then he focused on what he was in love with. Music? Family? Chess? Who knows.

Simple as that.

SenorSpur
09-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Saying basketball wasn't the most important thing to David doesn't mean to me he wasn't trying as hard as anyone else was. He viewed it as his duty, and he is all about his duty. He's probably more about his duty than guys who want to win championships are about winning championships, so when his duty is to win an NBA championship, he puts out just as much effort as guys who are totally consumed with winning a championship.

Shaq? Shaq routinely took the regular season off and got his operations done on company time.

David never did that.

Hakeem?

Hakeem routinely would tank it during the regular season if he wasn't happy with his contract or his team.

Barkley? Barkley tanked it to force a trade, from a team that couldn't make the playoffs to one that could.

David never did that. He made the playoffs with whatever he had. By showing up to play every night.

David on the other hand played through the Olympics with a hernia and basically ended his career as a Superstar in the process.

Michael Jordan? Michael loved the game so much he retired from it 2 or 3 times. To do other things...

David may not have wanted to win a title just for the sake of winning a title as those other guys did...that doesn't mean he wasn't trying just as hard. All evidence points to the fact that he tried much harder, because his sense of duty dictated he do so.

Plus...let's face it, after busting his tail to get his team to the playoffs over an 82 game schedule, there's no way David just stopped caring at that point. He put all that effort into it, and as soon as he won a title, he would know he fulfilled his duty, at the least.

And the important way it translated out...when David said he was going to do everything in his power to bring a title to SA, he absolutely meant it, even if it meant idiots would not give him credit. He wasn't about getting the credit, he was about his doing his duty. If David cared about getting the credit so people would know what he did...he probably would not have, as Pop said, tutored his own superstar replacement unlike anyone else to ever play in this league. And that's probably why the Spurs are the only twin towers combo to win a title.

David's not really hard to understand...understand this, he's a good guy, and he wants to keep his word and fulfill his responsibilities. And do his duty, whether that be civic, personal, or if it's his simply his job. It's pretty simple actually.

David showed up much harder night in and night out throughout the grind of regular season games that just about every one of those guys that allegedly, "wanted it more". That why his teams were always in the playoffs, and appeared to be much better teams than they actually were. David showed up to play every night, he did all that unglamourous crap coaches wanted.

David = Good, strong, commited. Not weak, soft, ambivalent(about his obligations).

The only difference you saw on the court was when the Spurs finally raised the trophy, David looked relieved instead of overjoyed as everyone else was. Off the court it meant David stopped thinking about it as soon as he had done his daily duty, then he focused on what he was in love with. Music? Family? Chess? Who knows.

Simple as that.

:tu :tu

Admiral
09-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I just don't see how people can question someone's desire who played thousands of games in the NBA at an extremely high level. David is one of the best big men to ever play the game, and worked hard to improve his game. Anyone who knows how far his game progressed while at Navy, and then again while he was with the Spurs, can see just how dedicated to basketball he was. Although I am sure he felt an obligation to the Spurs as well as to the fans, there is no way those things were his sole motivation to play as hard as he did throughout his career. He overcame nagging injuries to his back and knees and still played at the highest level. You only do that when you have a personal drive to succeed. And David did, without a doubt. He wanted to win badly.

Unfortunately, most people are too stupid to evaluate his career for themselves. Instead, they rely on the thoughts of media hacks and redneck fans who have no idea what goes into being one of the best basketball players ever. They think that if you care about your family or have hobbies, then you must not be focused enough on the game. That is pathetic.

PM5K
09-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Bullshit, you've obviously never heard of Michael's many charitable contributions, such as:

James R. Jordan Foundation
Mike Weir Charity Classic
Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitation
Chief Make-A-Wish Ambassador
Habitat For Humanity
Hurricane Katrina
Boys And Girls Club
World Team Sports
UNC

Jordan has been involved with numerous charities, including the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, UNCF/College Fund, Special Olympics, and a variety of charitable organizations that support children and families. Michael Jordan also hosts the Michael Jordan Charity International Golf Tournament.

In 1994 Michael Jordan founded the James R. Jordan Boys and Girls Club and Family Life Center, named after his father. The Center, in Chicago, Illinois, opened to the public after receiving a $5 million donation from the Chicago Bulls and a $ 2 million personal donation from Jordan. Every week more than 1,000 people come to the center, from senior citizens to teenagers to toddlers and infants. Some visitors do homework; others play pool, play basketball, or just enjoy relaxing in a safe environment.

He also donated 5 million to Hales Franciscan High School.

So I'm pretty sure he's managed to inspire more than just a few dozen basketball players.

whottt
09-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Bullshit, you've obviously never heard of Michael's many charitable contributions, such as:

Habitat For Humanity
Hurricane Katrina
Boys And Girls Club
World Team Sports
UNC

So I'm pretty sure he's managed to inspire more than just a few dozen basketball players.

Who do you want your kid to be like, Mike or Dave?

Admiral
09-12-2009, 10:51 PM

Habitat For Humanity
Hurricane Katrina
Boys And Girls Club
World Team Sports
UNC

That's great, but he's still an arrogant prick.

Avitus1
09-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Robinson is always a class act. He has so much going for him then basketball, but I'm glad he got this honor.

daslicer
09-13-2009, 01:42 AM

Habitat For Humanity
Hurricane Katrina
Boys And Girls Club
World Team Sports
UNC

Thats great that he did all those things but honestly do you think MJ overseas all those places and checks on them regularly to see how they are doing. With Dave it always came across to me that he was doing his charity work because he WANTED to do it and not just for some publicity to look like a good guy. When your filthy rich its easy to donate but how many guys actually take part in the process of community service.

PM5K
09-13-2009, 04:04 AM
Thats great that he did all those things but honestly do you think MJ overseas all those places and checks on them regularly to see how they are doing. With Dave it always came across to me that he was doing his charity work because he WANTED to do it and not just for some publicity to look like a good guy. When your filthy rich its easy to donate but how many guys actually take part in the process of community service.

I could write a long response but at the end of the day I doubt there are even a handful of players that can match what David has done with the Carver Academy and the David Robinson Foundation, that shouldn't take away from what anyone else has done.

superbigtime
09-13-2009, 09:36 AM
I love what Jordan did on the court and you have to credit him along with Stern for the globalisation of basketball and bringing millions of new fans to basketball. He was a perfect ambassador of the game with his charisma. He has given millions to charity. Yes he's egocentric but who wouldn't be considering how great he was and how much he accomplished. If basketball is all he ever had then why did he willingly walk away as the world's best player to experiment with baseball? David Robinson is beyond great and is probably the most rounded and grounded professional athlete I can think of, but I don't get the rather obtuse and harsh judgement of MJ in this thread.

Mark in Austin
09-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I think most of the observations about Jordan in this thread are pretty accurate. However, he does deserve credit for one thing in his speech. As soon as he got his emotions under control one of the first things he did was give credit to Scottie Pippen - and not the condescending, backwards insult credit but an honest acknowledgement of Pips importance.

TFloss32
09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I could write a long response but at the end of the day I doubt there are even a handful of players that can match what David has done with the Carver Academy and the David Robinson Foundation, that shouldn't take away from what anyone else has done.

I think you're missing the point of the article. Buck Harvey is not disputing that Michael Jordan was the greatest player that ever lived. He is and was...no doubt about it. He's saying that Jordan needs basketball in his life to feel relevant, whereas basketball was just a small chapter in Robinson's life. David knows there are so many more important things.

This was very evident in their speeches. Robinson thanked everyone that made him the man he is today and hardly talked about basketball. Jordan, on the other hand, was introduced before his speech as the greatest player that ever lived and yet he still called out all of the people in his life that doubted him or pissed him off. He could've said, "Thank you to all of those that put that chip on my shoulder and inspired me" and left it at that. He didn't though...he spent the majority of his speech bashing Jerry Krause, Jeff Van Gundy, his high school coach, Bryon Russell, etc. For all that he's accomplished, it goes to show that Michael is ONLY the greatest player that has ever lived. Other than that, he's an insecure, bitter man who's not truly respected. This was Buck's point about how David is greater than Michael.

NFGIII
09-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't see it as a criticism to say Dave didn't burn for the game like MJ. I think it's an observation. I also think it's true. There's also nothing wrong with that. David had other priorities in his life. To get from where he was, which I will call the 98th percentile, up to the very top, which I will call the 99.9th percentile, would have required that he sacrifice everything else in his life. He chose to have other interests, develop lifelong friendships with team mates, and live a complete life.

Well put. I noticed the same thing after a couple of years of Drob's play. The word was out that he was soft and undedicated since he had other interests besides basketball, which was especially maginified by his profession in Christianity. He wasn't consumed like MJ or Magic and didn't have that killer attitude aka Bird and others. Seems that the media slammed him for not caring enough. He wasn't the comsumate warrior in other words. There is alot to be said about a well rounded and satisfying life.

MJ had championships, but I don't think he had any of those other things. His life has pretty much been a series of train wrecks since he retired from b-ball. In fact, that ill fated two years with the Wiz may have been an effort to stall his HOF induction. It's kind of sad that MJ isn't yet 50, and his life is essentially over. He's still walking around and breathing, but the only thing he has ever loved, playing hoops at the highest level and being the best player, will be forever denied him now. He'll do stuff, like gambling, making bad front office decisions, etc., but what he's really doing is counting the heartbeats to his death.

That is a sad commentary on the greatest player ever to suit up. That after basketball there is nothing left to look forward to? With the millions and all the free time he has at his command? I think when you put both of their lives into context Drob's far surpasses MJ's. Though MJ is undoubtably the better player Drob has had the more satisfying and self-fullfilling life. In the end which is more important? That is up to the individual but I place my bet on Drob's choice.

Obstructed_View
09-13-2009, 03:31 PM
That article clearly illustrates how rare it is to be well-adjusted and truly great at something. Typically the best in any field have some demon which drives them. The criticism of David as not caring as much about basketball sounded more like a meaningful thing when he was actually playing. It's not difficult now to see who's the biggest success as a human being.

Admiral
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
That article clearly illustrates how rare it is to be well-adjusted and truly great at something. Typically the best in any field have some demon which drives them. The criticism of David as not caring as much about basketball sounded more like a meaningful thing when he was actually playing. It's not difficult now to see who's the biggest success as a human being.

Plus, the great thing is that David's non-basketball interests did not hinder his play. It's not like he was this talented player who didn't care and had a mediocre career. The guy accomplished just about everything an NBA player can accomplish, both as an individual and as part of a team. Some people try to paint a picture of DRob as having some sort of unfulfilled potential as a basketball player due to his varied interests, but that notion is laughable when you reflect on his career accomplishments.

SenorSpur
09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Plus, the great thing is that David's non-basketball interests did not hinder his play. It's not like he was this talented player who didn't care and had a mediocre career. The guy accomplished just about everything an NBA player can accomplish, both as an individual and as part of a team. Some people try to paint a picture of DRob as having some sort of unfulfilled potential as a basketball player due to his varied interests, but that notion is laughable when you reflect on his career accomplishments.

Robinson is truly one of the more decorated players in NBA history.

temujin
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Harvey also forgot to mention that Robinson is actually taller than Jordan.

I am surprisd that some of Robinson's best friends here in ST -people that dine chez the Admirals at least once a week- have not pointed out this essential piece of information.

callo1
09-13-2009, 07:40 PM

David never did that.

Hakeem?

Simple as that.

We don't always agree whott, but I am in 100% agreement with you on this one. As you mentioned Hakeem, I remembered that he even fasted due to his religious beliefs, and that made his game suffer, so why does Dave always get called out for being more than a professional basketball player?

Dave saved a franchise. The Bulls wern't moving with or without Jordan.

Jordan was a hell of a player, but like you stated so well, who would you like your kids to grow up like,,,Mike, or Dave?

There is a ton of people who believe that Jordan's gambling debts got his father killed....can't be proven, but rumor is that Stern called him into his office and asked Jordan to law low (retire) for a year for everything to calm down then come back.

howbouthemspurs
09-14-2009, 03:37 AM
Not like Mike, Robinson wins (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Not_like_Mike_Robinson_wins.html)
Buck Harvey

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Jerry Sloan choked up when he talked about his late wife. John Stockton choked up when he talked about his late mother.

Michael Jordan cried, with tears running down his face, after watching a video of his basketball career.

“The game of basketball has been everything to me,” Jordan said after he spent considerable time thanking all of those who had inspired him to crush them.

Take a bow, David Robinson.

At this time in your life, you have surpassed the greatest basketball player who ever lived.

Not that Robinson would see it that way. That was true earlier in the day, when Jordan had been sequestered in a wing of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame — right next to the Michael Jordan exhibit.

Jordan emerged, with fans pushed back by security, and he walked toward the podium for his turn. All eyes in the audience turned in that direction.

Robinson, meanwhile, still was on the podium, speaking.

Robinson didn't notice. Had he, he wouldn't have cared. Robinson always reacted to what mattered to him, not to what mattered to others. That's why he was the perfect MVP, two-ringed scoring champ to be inducted with Jordan.

Stockton and Sloan fit, too. They've never been the kind of men bothered by a lack of attention.

But Stockton and Sloan were closer to Jordan in commitment to the sport. Robinson, in this group, was the outsider. That was clear in 1992, when Stockton, Robinson and Jordan joined in allegiance to both country and Nike.

Robinson and Jordan occasionally played golf between Olympic engagements, and Charles Barkley was a mutual friend. But when they closed the gym doors and scrimmaged, their differences were obvious.

Jordan said Friday that one day in Monte Carlo — attended by just a handful of media — might have been the best game he ever played in. There were 10 Hall of Famers going at it for pride.

Jordan said, privately, he couldn't understand why Robinson didn't live for this as the others did. Jordan called Robinson “The Negotiator” then because Jordan thought he analyzed too much.

Robinson cared about basketball. He liked winning, too, which made for a faith-based joke Friday night. Then, he asked if anyone in the audience had ever gotten on his knees to really pray for something.

To Robinson, that's what he did for Tim Duncan.

But Robinson always filled the lane with a contrasting set of priorities. That summer in Barcelona, for example, his Dream Team moment was personal. Once he went to the roof of his Barcelona hotel to play the saxophone with a jazz musician.

Robinson hadn't grown up loving basketball. He had grown to 7-foot-1. He'd been given the body and the athletic ability, and he worked this sport as he would a job.

That was evident as he stood on stage in Springfield's Symphony Hall and spoke individually to his three sons. He didn't tear up, perhaps because he understood; as great as this honor was, it was just an honor.

Jordan, instead, can't let go of the game, and his list of perceived slights was laughable. The so-called freeze-out involving George Gervin in the mid-'80s was one. Jordan still hangs on that?

Jordan has held the Hall of Fame at a distance, because it signals an end. He admits he will never have anything that means as much.

“You may look up someday,” he said at the end of his speech Friday night, “and see me playing at the age of 50.”

Robinson?

He heads home to San Antonio, to his family, to his church, to his school.

As if life is just starting.

This is one of Harvey's best articles ever!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-14-2009, 04:02 AM
Nice article by Buck, pretty close to what I thought after watching the two speeches. MJ seems to have been on a slow decline ever since he stopped playing, whereas David is still rising, building the community he cherishes.

Gervin44Silas13
09-14-2009, 06:54 AM

Jordan wasn't a coke head he was a degenerate gambler!

TDMVPDPOY
09-14-2009, 07:39 AM
i wonder what would happen if drob was 6'9 instead, would he be the greatest SF/PF?

da_suns_fan
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
This is the second time (a Charley Rosen article being the other) in which its been stated that Robinson didnt even like playing basketball all that much.

While Spurs fans will use it as a testament to how smart he was or what a great guy he was, the rest of us ardent fans will look at him as a waste. Such a naturally gifted athlete with no love of the game? Sad.

Taco
09-14-2009, 12:14 PM
MJ was Mr Bitterman

whottt
09-14-2009, 01:27 PM
I look at it this way, if MU hadn't been there and it had just been Stockton and Robinson, they probably wouldn't have even bothered sending a camera crew.

angel_luv
09-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Buck Harvey

I really liked that article. Well written, Mr. Harvey. :toast

Drachen
09-14-2009, 01:35 PM
This is the second time (a Charley Rosen article being the other) in which its been stated that Robinson didnt even like playing basketball all that much.

While Spurs fans will use it as a testament to how smart he was or what a great guy he was, the rest of us ardent fans will look at him as a waste. Such a naturally gifted athlete with no love of the game? Sad.

What waste? He took his talents, worked hard to improve them, and turned them into one of the most successful careers of any NBA player ever. I wish I could find that poster that came out the night the spurs won the 2003 championship that was of David Robinson. It was him, and a listing of all of his accomplishments. The poster was completely full of accomplishments (basketball related only). It was ridiculous, even I was unaware of exactly how much David was declorated until seeing all of them in one place.

You are a Suns fan. You want proof of how hard David worked on his game? Go back to the 1993 playoffs, look at the lineup that the Spurs had and ask yourself "How in the heck was that team able to hang with such a talented suns team?" We were one uncharacteristic shot from Charles Barkley away from forcing a game 7. How indeed did we make it THAT far. The answer is David.

angel_luv
09-14-2009, 02:22 PM
I believe that the difference in David's life versus that of Michael Jordan is that David seeks to serve the Lord and help others while Michael Jordan's primary goal is his own success.
Obtaining success, if that is all you have, is an empty victory even when it can be realized. The lives of many celebrities has proven that.

I think there is still hope for Michael, if he will let the Lord give him a new dream and will reach out and help others instead of dwelling on the past.

ShoogarBear
09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
the rest of us ardent fans will look at him as a waste.

So I guess you have that in common then.

Budkin
09-14-2009, 02:57 PM
David Robinson is 1000 times the man MJ ever was.

duncan228
09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Knott: Be like David Robinson, not Michael Jordan (http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/16/knott-even-at-induction-robinson-blended-in/)
By Tom Knott

The decency of David Robinson was lost amid the petty bombast of Michael Jordan last weekend.

That is how it always has been with Robinson, and how it came to be on the night Robinson, Jordan, John Stockton, Jerry Sloan and C. Vivian Stringer delivered their Hall of Fame induction speeches in Springfield, Mass.

Robinson never was a star's star in the NBA. He was too gracious to be that, too straight-laced, too much the friendly next-door neighbor.

Robinson never worried about keeping it real because of his comfort with who he was. He never felt compelled to project an image, to win converts to his side, to be a contrivance.

He was the accidental elite player, after all. His destiny was not the NBA, not when he was in the final year of high school in Manassas, Va. His destiny was the military. The experience shaped his attitude and grounded him.

He grew five inches after arriving at the Naval Academy. He became a 7-footer, which is no way to be if you plan to spend part of your life on a submarine. He met his two-year military obligation after graduating from the Naval Academy and soon became the face of the Spurs.

He was not flashy or controversial or edgy. He sometimes played with a smile, which runs counter to Flip Saunders' directive to the ever-grinning Nick Young. Yet he was a competitor. He did not have to dream up imaginary slights to turn on the emotional fires, as Jordan did.

Robinson's ability to see beyond the basketball floor mostly escaped the NBA chroniclers of his time, perhaps because they were obsessed with all things Jordan.

Robinson raised money to start a school for underprivileged children in San Antonio. He gave back to the community in a profound way, not in a meet-and-greet, photo-op, five-minute way intended to burnish the "We Care" program of the NBA.

Robinson seemingly always knew there was life after basketball. And he was ready to embrace it with the gusto that defined his career. He did not need a farewell tour, which was a good thing. His last season corresponded with Jordan's last season with the Wizards.

While Jordan's final go-around was discussed in redundant detail, Robinson's went largely unnoticed. By then, Robinson was subservient to Tim Duncan on the court.

He took a hit to the ego for the team, one of the overlooked aspects of his career. And Robinson had an ego - but one with a rein on it. In his final seasons, he was the former franchise player nurturing his replacement.

Robinson was appreciative in his speech, the tight-lipped Stockton showed he had a wit, Sloan noted the perspective that came his way after the Evansville basketball plane crash and Stringer talked about losing the love of her life, her husband.

Jordan dumped the names and notes that he took throughout his career on the audience, from the high school varsity player who was selected over him to Jerry Krause to the time he was left off the cover of Sports Illustrated because of Dean Smith.

It was an odd, almost uncomfortable spiel that left you thinking this one-time basketball wonder never will be as satisfied in life as he was on the court.

Robinson left no such impression. He walked away from the NBA knowing it was time. There was no angst then, no thought of a comeback.

Jordan has a rage in him that no front-office position can satisfy. He could not resist suggesting that he could have another comeback in him at age 50. That was not intended to elicit a laugh.

So, just as he did as a player, Jordan claimed the headlines, along with the evaluations of the arm-chair psychoanalysts.

The message, intended or not, lent a twist to the one-time "Be Like Mike" Gatorade campaign, which was: Don't be like Mike.

Instead, be like David: content, well-adjusted, at peace.

leo_d
09-16-2009, 03:52 PM
GOATs will always have deamons inside. They have talent but also have an insane obsession for what they do. That`s what separates legends from the rest.

In art is the obsession for perfection, in sports is the obsession for winning. So maybe Robinson is more happy and more loved, but i`m thankful for those people that deal with inner deamons to push the limit of what humans can do.

ManuTastic
09-16-2009, 05:19 PM
GOATs will always have deamons inside. They have talent but also have an insane obsession for what they do. That`s what separates legends from the rest.

In art is the obsession for perfection, in sports is the obsession for winning. So maybe Robinson is more happy and more loved, but i`m thankful for those people that deal with inner deamons to push the limit of what humans can do.

Probably true about Greatest Of All Timers. Of course it's possible at some point Jordan will reconcile himself to being over the hill, but he may not. He may throw away enormous sums on gambling just to keep chasing that winning feeling.
On a side note, I wonder if Federer is like that too? Not the gambling but the driven-ness?

duncan228
09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Be Like David... Not Like Mike. (http://www.voddiebaucham.org/vbm/Blog/Entries/2009/9/16_Be_Like_David..._Not_Like_Mike..html)
Voddie Baucham

One does not have to be a sports fan to know that induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame is a tremendous honor. Whatever your field, there is nothing like being recognized as one of the best ever to do it. Recently, several legendary basketball players received this honor. Among them were David Robinson of the San Antonio Spurs, and Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls (full disclosure: I grew up in Los Angeles loving the Lakers and despising both the Bulls and the Spurs... and I’m still getting over it).

There was a stark difference between the two acceptance speeches. As I listened to the two speeches, all I could think of was the old commercial catchphrase, “Like Mike... If I could be like Mike.” Unfortunately, in this instance, Mike was the last person anyone should aspire to be like. This was definitely not a Michael Jordan highlight. Jordan’s Speech was self-centered, indulgent, arrogant, and at times embarrassing. In contrast, David Robinson rose to the occasion and made a brief, inspiring, encouraging speech (see his speech here (http://www.nba.com/video/channels/hall_of_fame/2009/09/11/nba_20090911_hof_robinson_speech.nba/)) that made his family, his team, and his friends proud.

Let me say up front that I did not expect Michael Jordan, the known philanderer/adulterer (see here), to be a paragon of virtue. He is a basketball player (and Nike/Gatorade/Haynes pitchman), and has never portrayed himself as anything else. I did, however, expect some class from the man many believe to be the best to ever lace ‘em up. Instead, Jordan put on a disappointing display that looked even worse when compared to Robinson’s speech.

David Elevated Others... Mike Elevated Mike

David Robinson took the time to honor the all of the people who were there to support him. He acknowledged George Gervin as “the original Mr. San Antonio,” and a Spurs legend, Larry Brown as a “basketball genius,” Avery Johnson as the spiritual force behind the Spurs rise to prominence, and Tim Duncan as “the greatest Power Forward to play the game.” Here was a man who saw himself as the recipient of a great legacy, surrounded by great players and coaches, and grateful to have had personal success in the process.

On the other hand, the theme of M.J.’s speech was, “If you want to know where my legendary ‘fire’ comes from... here it is.” For example, M.J. thanked Pat Riley, but he did it in a backhanded way, recounting a story about a resort in Hawaii where the hotel put Pat Riley out of M.J.’s suite when he arrived. This was just one example of many where M.J. shone the light on himself by putting others down. He stepped on players, coaches, and the guy who took his spot in High School all in a self-serving fashion.

David Honored His Family... Mike Honored Himself

David Robinson took the time to speak words of encouragement and praise to each of his sons, honored his wife in an appropriate, heartwarming exchange, and paid homage to his parents who “planted a seed of faith” in him. He talked about the “Robinson family name” that he is obviously serious about passing on to and through his sons without portraying himself as a man worthy of adoration.

Jordan did mention Scotty Pippen, but only to say that Pippen was there “for every championship I won.” He mentioned the other recipients, but only to allude to the fact that he learned something about them, but can’t imagine what the audience doesn’t already know about him. He did make mention of his siblings and their contribution to his competitive nature, and Dean Smith’s legend as a coach. Unfortunately, that all-to-brief section of the speech paled in comparison to what followed.

Jordan eventually got around to mentioning his wife (who divorced him in 2006) in passing, and his children merited little more than that. Clearly, Jordan’s speech was little more than an opportunity to remind everyone how great he was, and to do so at the expense of others. Addressing the coach who picked the mythological Leroy Smith (who was present in the audience) over him in High School, he said, “You made a mistake, dude.“ On the issue of Dean Smith failing to name him as a starter his freshman year (so he could be on the cover of Sports Illustrated), M.J. declared, “I deserved to be on that Sports Illustrated [cover].” Later, in response to a Bulls exec (with whom he had a rather rocky relationship) who used the cliche, “Organizations win championships,” M.J. retorted, “I didn’t see ‘organization’ playing with the flu in Utah...” All I could think as I listened was, “Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips.” (Proverbs 27:2 ESV)

David Was Brief... Mike Was Indulgent

M.J. spoke for well over twenty minutes; David Robinson was done in less than seven. Moreover, the brevity of David’s speech had less to do with the time than it did with it’s timeliness. Had Robinson spent twenty minutes doing what he did, it would have been fine. Everyone in the room would have been glad to listen to “The Admiral” heap praise on those who meant so much to him. However, he did not need more time in order to say thank you and honor those who made him who he is, and came to support him on his big day. Twenty-three minutes is not a long time to speak. However, when the speech is an arrogant, self-serving display, half that time would be too much.

David Honored God... Mike Honored Basketball

David Robinson ended his speech with a moving reference to the story of the ten lepers in Luke’s gospel. It was so refreshing not to hear the old standard, “First, I want to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who made it all possible by making me so good” cliche. Instead, Robinson actually referred to the Bible (book and chapter), used it in context, applied it to the situation, and was completely appropriate, God-honoring, and not at all cheesy. Praise God!

David Robinson presented himself as a man who had a great career, but didn’t let it define who he is. Michael Jordan, on the other hand, presented himself as a man who loves, needs, and craves basketball and the attention it brings. He even alluded to the idea of coming back and “playing at fifty.” I doubt he was serious, but the point was clear. Jordan is defined by what he did on the court. He needed this moment to snatch his throne back from the likes of Kobe Bryant if only for one night. He needed the bright lights, and the attention again if only for twenty-three minutes. And in the end, it was quite sad. A man who has “everything”; the most recognizable figure on the planet at one time, looked as empty as the United Center (where the Bulls play) two hours after a disappointing loss.

David sees His Legacy in His Family... Mike sees His Legacy in His Highlights

David Robinson’s personal words to his three sons were about the most poignant, moving, inspiring words from a father I’ve heard in a long time. Here was a man receiving the highest honor in sports, and he turned it into a father/son moment that his boys will never forget. He spoke to each son, acknowledged their unique gifts, and his unique relationship with each of them.

M.J. also acknowledged his children, but the theme was the same... ‘It’s all about me.’ At one point, M.J., said to his kids, “You guys got a heavy burden... I wouldn’t want to be you guys if I had to.” (This was right before his absolutely classless remarks about the $1,000.00 ticket price for the event) While this may be a true sentiment (Jordan was referring to the unfair expectations on his children), the context was unfortunate. Instead of a loving father sympathizing with the plight of his children, M.J. came across as an arrogant superstar admiring the magnitude of his own shadow and using his kids as no more than a punch-line.

Modern American sports serve as an incubator for the self-centeredness that resides in each of us. The better one performs, the harder it is to avoid “the big-head.” I cannot imagine how difficult it would be do handle Michael Jordan’s level of success. What else could he be? Where would he acquire humility, class, and selflessness? Ironically, many argue that these are the very character traits team sports build in young people. Nothing could be further from the truth. Nevertheless, these traits were definitely present in David Robinson. But where did they come from? Did the Spurs do a better job at fostering this character than the Bulls? I doubt it. Did the Naval Academy do a better job at fostering it than the University of North Carolina? Perhaps. However, I believe the key is in the speech. The “seed of faith” planted by his mom and dad; the ‘preaching’ by teammates like Avery Johnson, and the Christ to whom Robinson referred in his closing remarks all came together to shape the man who made that speech.

David Robinson is far from perfect. I’m sure he has as many flaws, foibles and faults as the rest of us. However, for seven minutes, he represented his team, his family, and his Lord very well. And he showed us all how attractive humility and grace can be.

Pray for David as he strives to walk with God. Also, pray for M.J. as he seeks to fill a massive void in the center of his life that basketball, money, fame, championships, and women can never satisfy. Pray that Christ saves him and turns his gaze to something loftier than his own highlights. Not because Jesus needs Jordan’s voice, but because M.J. needs Jesus (just like the rest of us).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 10:16 PM
A similar story:

Knott: Be like David Robinson, not Michael Jordan

By Tom Knott (Contact)

The decency of David Robinson was lost amid the petty bombast of Michael Jordan last weekend.

That is how it always has been with Robinson, and how it came to be on the night Robinson, Jordan, John Stockton, Jerry Sloan and C. Vivian Stringer delivered their Hall of Fame induction speeches in Springfield, Mass.

Robinson never was a star's star in the NBA. He was too gracious to be that, too straight-laced, too much the friendly next-door neighbor.

Robinson never worried about keeping it real because of his comfort with who he was. He never felt compelled to project an image, to win converts to his side, to be a contrivance.

He was the accidental elite player, after all. His destiny was not the NBA, not when he was in the final year of high school in Manassas, Va. His destiny was the military. The experience shaped his attitude and grounded him.

He grew five inches after arriving at the Naval Academy. He became a 7-footer, which is no way to be if you plan to spend part of your life on a submarine. He met his two-year military obligation after graduating from the Naval Academy and soon became the face of the Spurs.

He was not flashy or controversial or edgy. He sometimes played with a smile, which runs counter to Flip Saunders' directive to the ever-grinning Nick Young. Yet he was a competitor. He did not have to dream up imaginary slights to turn on the emotional fires, as Jordan did.

Robinson's ability to see beyond the basketball floor mostly escaped the NBA chroniclers of his time, perhaps because they were obsessed with all things Jordan.

Robinson raised money to start a school for underprivileged children in San Antonio. He gave back to the community in a profound way, not in a meet-and-greet, photo-op, five-minute way intended to burnish the "We Care" program of the NBA.

Robinson seemingly always knew there was life after basketball. And he was ready to embrace it with the gusto that defined his career. He did not need a farewell tour, which was a good thing. His last season corresponded with Jordan's last season with the Wizards.

While Jordan's final go-around was discussed in redundant detail, Robinson's went largely unnoticed. By then, Robinson was subservient to Tim Duncan on the court.

He took a hit to the ego for the team, one of the overlooked aspects of his career. And Robinson had an ego - but one with a rein on it. In his final seasons, he was the former franchise player nurturing his replacement.

Robinson was appreciative in his speech, the tight-lipped Stockton showed he had a wit, Sloan noted the perspective that came his way after the Evansville basketball plane crash and Stringer talked about losing the love of her life, her husband.

Jordan dumped the names and notes that he took throughout his career on the audience, from the high school varsity player who was selected over him to Jerry Krause to the time he was left off the cover of Sports Illustrated because of Dean Smith.

It was an odd, almost uncomfortable spiel that left you thinking this one-time basketball wonder never will be as satisfied in life as he was on the court.

Robinson left no such impression. He walked away from the NBA knowing it was time. There was no angst then, no thought of a comeback.

Jordan has a rage in him that no front-office position can satisfy. He could not resist suggesting that he could have another comeback in him at age 50. That was not intended to elicit a laugh.

So, just as he did as a player, Jordan claimed the headlines, along with the evaluations of the arm-chair psychoanalysts.

The message, intended or not, lent a twist to the one-time "Be Like Mike" Gatorade campaign, which was: Don't be like Mike.

Instead, be like David: content, well-adjusted, at peace.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/16/knott-even-at-induction-robinson-blended-in/

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Darn, 228 beat me to it... :depressed

:lol

angel_luv
09-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Be Like David... Not Like Mike. (http://www.voddiebaucham.org/vbm/Blog/Entries/2009/9/16_Be_Like_David..._Not_Like_Mike..html)
Voddie Baucham

Modern American sports serve as an incubator for the self-centeredness that resides in each of us. The better one performs, the harder it is to avoid “the big-head.” I cannot imagine how difficult it would be do handle Michael Jordan’s level of success. What else could he be? Where would he acquire humility, class, and selflessness? Ironically, many argue that these are the very character traits team sports build in young people. Nothing could be further from the truth. Nevertheless, these traits were definitely present in David Robinson. But where did they come from? Did the Spurs do a better job at fostering this character than the Bulls? I doubt it. Did the Naval Academy do a better job at fostering it than the University of North Carolina? Perhaps. However, I believe the key is in the speech. The “seed of faith” planted by his mom and dad; the ‘preaching’ by teammates like Avery Johnson, and the Christ to whom Robinson referred in his closing remarks all came together to shape the man who made that speech.

David Robinson is far from perfect. I’m sure he has as many flaws, foibles and faults as the rest of us. However, for seven minutes, he represented his team, his family, and his Lord very well. And he showed us all how attractive humility and grace can be.

Pray for David as he strives to walk with God. Also, pray for M.J. as he seeks to fill a massive void in the center of his life that basketball, money, fame, championships, and women can never satisfy. Pray that Christ saves him and turns his gaze to something loftier than his own highlights. Not because Jesus needs Jordan’s voice, but because M.J. needs Jesus (just like the rest of us).

Another excellent, excellent article.

David Robinson is an awesome person and I am delighted with how he is being so rightly honored.