PDA

View Full Version : A more interesting question would be what if DR had TP, gino, etc. from 89-97

holcs50
09-12-2009, 06:38 AM
IDK what would happen there, i mean you put TP back then running loose, and ginobili and then Drob-I would've loved to see any rockets championships happen then, and yea ill say it mrjordan would've had a hell of a time to put those guys away. I think the spurs would've gotten a few away from MJ-could be i'm ridiculous, but not really. That would've been amazing.

spursfaninla
09-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Ok, if Robinson had the same team that the Spurs had from 2003 to 2007, minus Duncan of course, would he have won championships if that personnel played during Robinson's 1994-1997 years?

Maybe. Hard to imagine Robinson knocking off Jordan's 72 win team.

Plus, Robinson did have Sean, an all-star during 1995. So you take away sean and Rodman and give them Bowen I guess. I think they would have done better against Houston, and should have won at least 2 championships I think. It would have been very hard for Chicago, and Bowen would have defended Michael as good as any...

of course, this is time travel shit, so it is impossible to really know...

whottt
09-12-2009, 06:55 PM
It's a little known fact the first trio of Jordan championship teams struggled mightily against both David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon. I remember watchig the Spurs come back from 20 points down against those Bulls. I think the Spurs were like 7-1 against the first 3 peat Bull's team and the Rockets had a similar record against them.

That first group never faced a truly dominant center other than Ewing.

Phenomanul
09-12-2009, 07:08 PM
It's a little known fact the first trio of Jordan championship teams struggled mightily against both David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon. I remember watchig the Spurs come back from 20 points down against those Bulls. I think the Spurs were like 7-1 against the first 3 peat Bull's team and the Rockets had a similar record against them.

That's the record I gathered from what used to be the Basketball Reference website (the game LOG of his first two years don't appear) but if IIRC the Spurs swept the Bulls his rookie year, and lost a close one at Chicago in his sophomore season... That means that Robinson's pre-injury head-to-head record versus Jordan's Bulls was 10-2.

Replace Avery Johnson with Parker and Del Negro with Ginobili...

hmmm.....

Edit... Forgot that two of those years the Bulls belonged to Scottie...
nevertheless a 7-1 record is still pretty damn impressive against MJ's Bulls.

whottt
09-12-2009, 07:49 PM
2 games away from beating the Rockets...replace AJ and Vinny with Parker and Manu. Hmmm...indeed.

Hell...how about Kobe or Magic, or Wade and Oscar? Like Shaq and Kareem...and their top 5 C's of all time selves had, on every single championship they won.

BoricuaCJA
09-12-2009, 09:37 PM
No 71 point performance. :(.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-13-2009, 03:07 AM
IDK what would happen there, i mean you put TP back then running loose, and ginobili and then Drob-I would've loved to see any rockets championships happen then, and yea ill say it mrjordan would've had a hell of a time to put those guys away. I think the spurs would've gotten a few away from MJ-could be i'm ridiculous, but not really. That would've been amazing.

Great thread, I was thinking the same thing. :tu

DRob never played with a team of the caliber of what we put on the court from 2003-2007 during his early career. He had Sean, and Dennis, Avery, some other above average players like Terry Cummings, Willie Anderson, Dale Ellis and Antoine Carr, but Manu and TP are a level or two above anyone from those teams in terms of their consistent impact on the outcome of games.

Manu and TP are both All-Stars, Manu SHOULD have been co-Finals MVP with Tim in 2005 and has won more games for us than any of DRob's supporting casts, and TP is a Finals MVP who is currently one of the 3 best PGs on the planet, each of whom can destroy the other two on any given night.

I think we would have won one, maybe two championships if early DRob had Manu and TP to take the pressure off him a bit. I think the addition of those two would have changed the dynamic of both Houston championships and that we would take one of those. With a bit of luck, and Manu/TP, I think we might have won the 93 series against the Suns - Barkley's 21fter - and we could have also beaten the Blazers and Bulls. The latter only went 57-25 that year and were at their most vulnerable of their 6 rings.

Ok, if Robinson had the same team that the Spurs had from 2003 to 2007, minus Duncan of course, would he have won championships if that personnel played during Robinson's 1994-1997 years?

Maybe. Hard to imagine Robinson knocking off Jordan's 72 win team.

Plus, Robinson did have Sean, an all-star during 1995. So you take away sean and Rodman and give them Bowen I guess. I think they would have done better against Houston, and should have won at least 2 championships I think. It would have been very hard for Chicago, and Bowen would have defended Michael as good as any...

of course, this is time travel shit, so it is impossible to really know...

Yeah, I don't think we would have beaten any of Jordan's last 3 Bulls teams - he was on a three-peat mission from 1996-98.

I remember the same thing. And why? Bill Cartwright was a fine defender against slow big men, but the agility and quickness of DRob and Hakeem tore him apart.

As for Ewing, I've gotta say that those bruising, early 90s Bulls-Knicks series are some of my favourite basketball to watch. Epic. :)

No 71 point performance. :(.

:lol Good point!

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2009, 08:13 AM
i think if drob had a rookie tp n gino playing at the same time drob came into the league...if after 2-3yrs and the team is going nowhere, tp + gino not developing...then expect drob to demand a trade or changes to the team...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-13-2009, 10:34 PM
i think if drob had a rookie tp n gino playing at the same time drob came into the league...if after 2-3yrs and the team is going nowhere, tp + gino not developing...then expect drob to demand a trade or changes to the team...

Don't know much about David, huh? :rolleyes

EricB
09-13-2009, 10:51 PM

Go the fuck away.