PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Double-OT games fail to break the Spurs' resolve

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Double-OT games fail to break the Spurs' resolve
Web Posted: 04/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041205.1D.spurs.1cb9589a1.html

After somehow packing their worst loss in almost four years and back-to-back, come-from-behind, down-to-the-final-possession, double-overtime victories into a four-day trip, the Spurs stretched their legs and flew home Monday afternoon.

During their travels, they nearly set a franchise record for fewest points in a game, produced their highest consecutive-game total in more than 14 years and lost their starting center for the remainder of the regular season. Oh, and they also moved within one victory — or one Dallas loss — of locking down the Southwest Division title.

"The team is going to have a vote," coach Gregg Popovich said, "to see if they want Tim (Duncan) to come back for the playoffs or not."

While the Spurs hope to welcome back Duncan within the week, they've survived without him in recent days.

With Popovich resting Manu Ginobili, and Rasho Nesterovic joining Duncan and Devin Brown on the injured list, the Spurs rallied from an 11-point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat Golden State 136-134 in double overtime Sunday night. This came less than 24 hours after they rallied from a nine-point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat the Los Angeles Clippers 125-124, also in double overtime.

The Warriors had won eight consecutive games and 11 of their previous 12, beating Phoenix (twice), Sacramento (twice), Seattle and Houston. The Spurs, meanwhile, were playing their fourth game in five nights.

Before the weekend, the Spurs hadn't won even a single double-overtime game in more than 21 years.

"To win after two overtimes against the Clippers, short-handed without Timmy, Manu, Devin and Rasho showed a lot of character in our team," said Tony Parker, who totaled 62 points, 21 assists and 99 minutes in the two games. "We didn't want to give up. We came in and said if we stay close, we might have a chance to win."

In both games, the Spurs and their opponents repeatedly matched each other shot for shot until the final possession.

Ginobili scored 40 points in a career-high 50 minutes against the Clippers, once throwing in a turn-and-shoot 3-pointer late in regulation at the shot-clock buzzer. Robert Horry won Saturday's game by drilling a 3-pointer with 22.2 seconds left in the second overtime, then stuffing Clippers forward Mikki Moore at the rim just before the buzzer.

For the final 22 minutes, Popovich kept Horry, Parker, Ginobili and Tony Massenburg on the floor while subbing Brent Barry for Bruce Bowen for only a couple of short stretches.

"It's funny, there were a couple of times when the (Clippers) coach called timeout," Horry said, "and I was like, 'Thank you! How did you know I needed a blow?'"

The team arrived at its San Francisco hotel about 2 a.m. Sunday, and Popovich was concerned enough about burning out Ginobili that he decided not to play him that night.

Bowen, Barry and Horry helped make up for the All-Star's absence by scoring 17 points apiece.

Nazr Mohammed had 19 points, 15 rebounds — 10 of which were on the offensive glass — and three blocks while starting for Nesterovic. Massenburg, for the second consecutive night, provided productive minutes off the bench.

After falling behind 102-94 with 5:14 left in regulation, the Spurs made 14 of their next 15 shots.

Baron Davis, who scored 38 points for the Warriors, went back-and-forth with Parker until the Spurs' point guard banked in a difficult runner with his left hand with 2.9 seconds left in the second overtime period. After playing a career-high 53 minutes against the Clippers, Parker played 46 more against the Warriors.

"Tony was just stupendous as a leader," Popovich said. "I thought he really grew in character and showed the team what he has deep inside him."

Parker helped complete quite a turnaround for the Spurs, who began their trip with a 104-68 loss in Dallas on Thursday — their sixth consecutive defeat on the road.

"When are you going to figure out how can we play our (butts) off at home and play so badly on the road?" Popovich told the team during an early timeout Saturday. "Obviously, it's between your ears.

"We're not your leaders, so respect each other, play for each other, be responsible for each other, and figure it out."

Two games and four OTs later, they did.

--------------

Memorable weekend
Notable facts and figures from the Spurs' double-overtime victories over the Los Angeles Clippers (125-124 on Saturday) and Golden State Warriors (136-134 on Sunday):
—Before the weekend, the Spurs never had played back-to-back double-OT games. In fact, the team previously had played seven regular season double-OT games in its 28-season NBA history, going 1-6.
—Sunday's game had the highest total score in the NBA this season, surpassing Phoenix's 136-128 victory over Utah on Feb. 14.
—The last NBA team to play multiple-OT games on back-to-back nights was the then-Vancouver Grizzlies, who played one double- and one triple-OT game Feb. 16-17, 1999. Like the Spurs, the Grizzlies won both games.

timvp
04-12-2005, 12:22 AM
The last NBA team to play multiple-OT games on back-to-back nights was the then-Vancouver Grizzlies, who played one double- and one triple-OT game Feb. 16-17, 1999. Like the Spurs, the Grizzlies won both games.

I thought it was found at that the Grizzlies only won one of those game.

Right?

milkyway21
04-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Manu, resting:angel
Rasho on IL :angel
Timmy on IL :angel

AND Tony seems like battered & bruised from that back-to-back OTs.
still playing but for how long?

Bowen is the ONLY starter left. I just can't believe his stamina.

How about resting Tony too, Pops? Give Beno more playing time.

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Bowen is the ONLY starter left. I just can't believe his stamina.

No kidding. He's 34 -- TWELVE years older than Parker and I don't hear much about him playing 80+ minutes in the last two games.

T Park
04-12-2005, 12:37 AM
too exhausted to talk??

He looked tired in the second OT.

milkyway21
04-12-2005, 12:37 AM
No kidding. He's 34 -- TWELVE years older than Parker and I don't hear much about him playing 80+ minutes in the last two games.

correct me if I'm wrong, he played 82 games last season, too. Right? :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Bowen hasn't missed a game since 2001-02.

T Park
04-12-2005, 12:40 AM
you better not have jinxed him Kori :)

whottt
04-12-2005, 12:42 AM
I thought it was found at that the Grizzlies only won one of those game.

Right?

Right...they didn't win both of those games....FWDT and I checked this out at two different sites...they lost the second game to the Celtics...and we also think that might have been a triple OT game and not a double...but we know they lost it, for sure.

Someone email him and tell him that as near as we can tell the Spurs are the first team in NBA history to win double OT games on back to back nights.

The Grizz definitely lost that second game.

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:42 AM
I knocked on wood when I typed it.

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Someone email him and tell him that as near as we can tell the Spurs are the first team in NBA history to win double OT games on back to back nights.

I'll tell him.

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:48 AM
I just looked it up in the Grizzlies media guide. (Sorry I didn't do it before -- all the media guides are right here in my closet). The Grizzlies lost to the Celtics 131-129 in triple overtime in that game.

milkyway21
04-12-2005, 12:50 AM
I knocked on wood when I typed it...OMG:D

Bowen:

2002-03 82 games 31.2 min.
2003-04 82 games 32 min.

2004-05 77 games.....& counting 32 min.

knock on wood! :oops :oops :oops :spin

TOP-CHERRY
04-12-2005, 12:50 AM
"The team is going to have a vote," coach Gregg Popovich said, "to see if they want Tim (Duncan) to come back for the playoffs or not."
Really? :(

The team arrived at its San Francisco hotel about 2 a.m. Sunday, and Popovich was concerned enough about burning out Ginobili that he decided not to play him that night.
Awwww, Pop... :p

"Tony was just stupendous as a leader," Popovich said. "I thought he really grew in character and showed the team what he has deep inside him."
Tony Parker totaled 62 points, 21 assists and 99 minutes in the two games.
YEAH, TONY!!!! Keep growing, baby!

"When are you going to figure out how can we play our (butts) off at home and play so badly on the road?" Popovich told the team during an early timeout Saturday. "Obviously, it's between your ears.
"We're not your leaders, so respect each other, play for each other, be responsible for each other, and figure it out."
Two games and four OTs later, they did.
Go, Pop!!!! Nice quote!

Wow... very nice read. Really gives us Spurs fans overflowing reasons to be proud of our boys.

ShoogarBear
04-12-2005, 12:56 AM
The *duh* light just came on, as I realized I of course have the 1999 Official NBA Guide.

Feb 16th, Vancouver wins at LA Clippers 93-89 in double OT.
Feb 17th, Vancourver loses at home to Boston 129-131 in triple OT.

TOP-CHERRY
04-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Has there ever been a quadruple overtime in the NBA?

whottt
04-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Then that means the Sharp site has accurate information...

Which means that is an NBA record set by the Spurs...

The only things even close to this achievement were the Grizz in 99.

In 1961 the Lakers won an OT and a Triple OT 2 days apart, Dec 6th and Dec 8th...both on the road, against Syracuse and Philly Warriors.

In 1969 The Lakers and Warriors played an OT and a Triple OT on back to back nights, Feb 1 and Feb 2, with the road team winning each game.

In 1999 The Grizz played double and tiple OT on back to back nights, Feb 16th and 17th. They beat the Clips in double OT and then lost the next night to the Celtics in Triple OT....

But the Spurs are the only team in NBA history to do what they just did...and they did it missing 3 starters.

whottt
04-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Has there ever been a quadruple overtime in the NBA?

Yes. 6 of them. The last one was in the 97-98 season.

There has even been one 5OT...

And that's just in the regular season...I think there have been more in the playoffs.

Edit: There was one 4OT in the playoffs in the 52-53 season. No 5OT's.

TOP-CHERRY
04-12-2005, 01:10 AM
But the Spurs are the only team in NBA history to do what they just did...and they did it missing 3 starters.

:elephant

My boys make mamma proud! ;)

TOP-CHERRY
04-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks Whott, for the 411 on past NBA OTs... pretty interesting.

milkyway21
04-12-2005, 01:15 AM
:elephant

My boys make mamma proud! ;)..if Timmy played there won't be an OT at all! :oops

ShoogarBear
04-12-2005, 01:16 AM
In 1999 The Grizz played double and tiple OT on back to back nights, Feb 16th and 17th, they were the road team in both games. They beat the Clips in double OT and then lost the next night to the Celtics in Triple OT....

That's it...what the Grizz did was pretty impressive, since they survived to a 3rd OT, on the East Coast, the night after winning a double OT on the West....

The 1999 Sporting News NBA Guide says that the Feb. 17th game was in Vancouver. B2B LA to Boston would be pretty brutal.

whottt
04-12-2005, 01:19 AM
The 1999 Sporting News NBA Guide says that the Feb. 17th game was in Vancouver. B2B LA to Boston would be pretty brutal.

You are right..and that's what the Sharp Site said too...I just saw the "at"....and didn't realize Boston was listed first because of the road game.

TOP-CHERRY
04-12-2005, 01:25 AM
..if Timmy played there won't be an OT at all! :oops

Oh, definitely.. But then the team wouldn't have been able to gain experince from those games, which would help them become more deep and solid in the playoffs.

Also, did you see how quickly their morale was boosted? How Timmy reacted when he saw his teammates push and tear, and give their heart, tears, and sweat to pull out wins??!! You think that won't motivate Timmy into compensating their teammates and coach by pushing them to the Finals when he gets back??!!

I don't know about y'all, but I have a gut feeling this is gonna be an awesome postseason!!!! :king

ShoogarBear
04-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Also, did you see how quickly their morale was boosted? How Timmy reacted when he saw his teammates push and tear, and give their heart, tears, and sweat to pull out wins??!!
I saw Timmy dancing and jumping on the sidelines after TP made his last shot and wondered when he was gonna get his ass back to playing. :)

Reminded me of game 6 in the 2003 WCF, when DRob was jumping and spinning on the sidelines with his bad back while Kerr and Jax were going nuts.

TOP-CHERRY
04-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I saw Timmy dancing and jumping on the sidelines after TP made his last shot and wondered when he was gonna get his ass back to playing. :)

:lol Sweet Timmy, was like "COME ON!!!! GET YOUR COCKY ASS UP ALREADY!!!"
hahaha!!

Reminded me of game 6 in the 2003 WCF, when DRob was jumping and spinning on the sidelines with his bad back while Kerr and Jax were going nuts.

Oh man... those were the golden days!!! Very, very awesome to see the boys so ecstatic!

milkyway21
04-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Oh, definitely.. But then the team wouldn't have been able to gain experince from those games, which would help them become more deep and solid in the playoffs.

Also, did you see how quickly their morale was boosted? How Timmy reacted when he saw his teammates push and tear, and give their heart, tears, and sweat to pull out wins??!! You think that won't motivate Timmy into compensating their teammates and coach by pushing them to the Finals when he gets back??!!

I don't know about y'all, but I have a gut feeling this is gonna be an awesome postseason!!!! :kingsure it did show the potentials of Nazr and it was a statement game for the Spurs.

Timmy liked what he saw, you can see how happy he was being the team's cheerleader. :D We like what we saw. Everybody liked what they saw, maybe except the rest of the teams heading into the playoffs :rolleyes .

ZStomp
04-12-2005, 01:59 AM
Bowen hasn't missed a game since 2001-02.

Kori's a Huge Bowen fan!! :elephant

whottt
04-12-2005, 02:27 AM
It's a good thing too...the last time Bowen missed some games we totally sucked. Drob said it best about Bruce...you don't notice how much Bruce does until he's not there on the court.

Finding Bruce's everyday replacement as he hits his mid 30's is the number one challenge the potential dynasty faces...is why I want to limit his minutes to prolong his career and keep him fresher at the end of the season...I have a feeling it's going to be hard to replace him...a lot of guys want to be stars...not many want the toughest, hardest, and most thankless job on the court...

milkyway21
04-12-2005, 02:40 AM
http://www.nba.com/blog/blog31.html

i just remember Bowen's blog on NBA.com:

"And that's the cool thing about us, is that team aspect. If someone goes down, we always have some one to step in. Yeah, we depend a lot on Tim, but we put players around Tim to make our team better. In Chicago, they put guys around Mike to make their team better. The had role players around Mike to allow Mike to do even more on the court. That's what we have in San Antonio.

Speaking of which, I noticed Tony Parker was featured on NBA.com this week. Tony has grown since he's been here because he's been in the system a while now and people are recognizing that.

As far as Tony breaking out, as some would say, I couldn't point to something and say: "Well, he's done this, done that and done that," because it's been part of the plan all along. He's grown within the system and become the point guard we thought he could be.

That's what I mean when we talk about being a team. We have Tony, who's not an All-Star caliber guard if Tim's not on the floor. But those two feed off one another and they get better with one another. And Manu Ginobili isn't an All-Star guard without Tim, Tony or myself. "

...and Bruce loves Timmy Duncan:D :D :D