PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Spurs' win a minor? The impact

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Buck Harvey: Spurs' win a minor? The impact
Web Posted: 04/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041205.1D.buck.1cb95844e.html

A year ago, Danny Ferry and Steve Kerr went to the Masters. They camped at Amen Corner on Sunday, walked the back nine and ran to TVs — because the crowd was so large at the 18th green — to watch Phil Mickelson's final putt.

So they know a few things about major championships.

But they also know a few things about the minor ones and how some moments are bigger than they appear in the sports pages. They know that something small can lead to something bigger, and Ferry saw that on the same day Tiger Woods mesmerized America.

Several time zones away from Augusta, locked in a seemingly meaningless event, the Spurs won a minor major.

At first glance, the Spurs compare to Tiger in only one way. Both went overtime.

Otherwise, the Spurs were playing a lottery team with their playoff position likely secured. In the Warriors, the Spurs weren't dunking on Mickelson, nor were they in line for a prize. Instead of a green jacket, they were rewarded with a white towel to dry with.

If anything, the only concern seemed to be whether Gregg Popovich would limit Tim Duncan's minutes. After all, Duncan stood up and cheered in back-to-back double-overtime games. Will he have anything left for the playoffs?

But Ferry sees more, and this begins with a better-than-they-look Warriors team. Playing at home with an eight-game winning streak, the Warriors weren't the usual lottery fare. During this streak, they had already beaten the Suns, Sonics and Rockets.

Listening to them afterward said as much.

"This loss hurts," Baron Davis said. "It hurts bad."

Chris DiMarco, after losing the prize of his life to Tiger, was more upbeat.

The Spurs' double-overtime game the night before in Los Angeles added to the equation, as did losing Rasho Nesterovic to a sprained ankle and Manu Ginobili because he'd sprained everything else. Without three starters — and near exhaustion — did anyone expect the Spurs to come within 20 points of the Warriors?

What followed, then, shocked nearly as much as Tiger's slo-mo chip. Nazr Mohammed played as he did earlier in the season with the Knicks, Brent Barry again made plays that mattered, and Tony Parker took over as Ginobili had the night before.

Minor? Or a minor miracle?

"Every time someone has a good game," Ferry said, "the more confidence you gain. And the more confidence the coaches have in you, the more confidence your teammates have in you. That breeds great chemistry and great things."

Ferry and Kerr built that in San Antonio over years. But Barry has been with the Spurs less than a season and Mohammed less than that. They hadn't proven themselves, at least not with the grit of Sunday, and that meant the confidence circle had been incomplete.

That's why Ferry sees so much potential from Sunday.

"Let's not get carried away," he said, "but, to me, Sunday was really, really encouraging. It will be fresh in their memories, and that can matter when the playoffs start."

It did for Ferry and Kerr in 2003. David Robinson missed a game in the first round, and Ferry started in his place. Parker missed one in the Western Conference finals, and Kerr got minutes then, as well as later in the NBA Finals.

"I had a game," Ferry said. "Steve had a few. Someone on this team will likely have the same chance."

That's especially true since Duncan and Nesterovic have two good ankles between them. The first round also will be a test whether the opponent is Denver or Houston or Sacramento.

So when the Spurs came from behind on back-to-back nights? When they took two games to double overtime, battled on the road and came out with two wins?

"They're champions," Davis said. "They've been there and know how to win."

In truth, players such as Barry and Mohammed haven't been there. They are learning how to win, and Sunday was a step toward that.

Ferry went through the same process in San Antonio. And when it culminated in 2003 — when he helped dig out a tense game against Phoenix — he retired and had the time to walk Augusta National.

As a major champion.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-12-2005, 12:19 AM
"Every time someone has a good game," Ferry said, "the more confidence you gain. And the more confidence the coaches have in you, the more confidence your teammates have in you. That breeds great chemistry and great things."

Great article, and this quote I Believe sums up my opinion about these last two games and how different players are really starting to step up. . .just in time.

T Park
04-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Its just things coming together finally.

Mohammed finally getting good minutes, Barry finally being more agressive with the basketball, and Parker having a great 4th quarter.

Mohammed is the most encouraging, like Buck said, he showed what he did in New York all year until he hurt the groin severely.

Bring it again tonight Nazr!! :fro

whottt
04-12-2005, 01:15 AM
It's not a minor achievement...it's an NBA record...one that every single member of the team contributed towards on the court.....except Tim Duncan Edit:and Devin Brown.

Someone needs to let these guys know what they accomplished...they don't realize they made NBA history.

And lousy ESPN isn't going to let them know it(Edit, ok so maybe they will, later)...

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Whott, I'm writing it in a Notebook article for SpursZONE right now.

whottt
04-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Kori, I think FWDT was going to double check just to make sure...I double checked all his post 73-74 research but no one has double checked my pre 73-74 research except me...Personally I'd like for someone else to doublecheck it in case I overlooked something twice...I think FWDT said he would..

One thing we are certain of is that the Grizz did not win back to back double OT(although they were tied at the end of the second one.)

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 01:57 AM
Okay tell me when it's all checked.

whottt
04-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Ok Kori it's checked.

ESPN even confirmed(but if it was the Knicks or Lakers that did it it'd be featured on SportCenter for one hour for an entire week)

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks.

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Here Whottt.

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=FB6B6C8C-8964-4CC7-82D5-B1C3E61E809C

Thanks to both of you for your research.

whottt
04-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Cool Kori, and thanks.

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Whottt, Don Harris will probably talk about it on news/radio today and say how most other newspapers, etc got it wrong and didn't give the Spurs their due.

whottt
04-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Cool, hey Kori, is the Pop show up? I missed it yesterday. I can't seem to find it at the WOAI site...

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 11:23 AM
I'll get the link in a few minutes. They are cutting it and uploading it now. Thanks for asking. I didn't know it was even on.

Sean
04-12-2005, 11:38 AM
I do believe I have now witnessed the very worst the internet, and the fandom of the NBA have to offer, after browsing through the various posts of prominent members of this forum. What a God-damn waste of virtual space.

whottt
04-12-2005, 11:57 AM
^^^^ He must have looked at Marcus Bryant's profile.

san antonio spurs
04-12-2005, 12:12 PM
hey Kori,is there a way, the other medias should correct their articles and give the spurs their due, or they'll just ignore it???
________
xJeniferhotx cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/xJeniferhotx)

Kori Ellis
04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
hey Kori,is there a way, the other medias should correct their articles and give the spurs their due, or they'll just ignore it???

Well they SHOULD. But they probably won't. I don't think many of them will print re-tractions or anything. Now that ESPN has said it on TV though, probably many television outlets will follow suit.