PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Report Rumor: Larry Brown interested in Mahinmi

robot89
09-13-2009, 10:16 PM
"Just heard an interesting rumor from a friend that was at the Hall of Fame ceremony that Brown likes Ian Mahinmi and was perhaps interested in some sort of deal to acquire him"

What do yall think?
to me this is BS

xtremesteven33
09-13-2009, 10:23 PM

exstatic
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Don't want Bell, but I'd be interested in Ian + salary for Diaw.

EricB
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Charlotte doesn't have anything the Spurs would want in return for the potential/salary of Mahinmi.

Thompson
09-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Tell Larry he'll have to pay through the nose because of the Jackie Butler fiasco.

We shouldn't trade Ian, he's a promising center. He's injured now because he was undercut while jumping high for a rebound. People should stop freaking out and be patient. Otherwise you'll be jumping off a rooftop when he turns into a solid player somewhere else.

DJB
09-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Gerald Wallace, straight up.

Em-City
09-13-2009, 11:22 PM

:lol dream on!

urunobili
09-13-2009, 11:23 PM
give me Raja plz...

completely deck
09-13-2009, 11:27 PM

:flypig

timvp
09-13-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ian Mahinmi wasn't mentioned at the Hall of Fame ceremony.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-13-2009, 11:44 PM
give me Raja plz...

For Finley and Bonner yes, for Ian, no.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ian Mahinmi wasn't mentioned at the Hall of Fame ceremony.

:lmao Indeed.

And a timvp sighting! Hey mate, looking forward to defending your DL titles? ;)

thOOdee
09-13-2009, 11:50 PM
diop maybe

EricB
09-14-2009, 12:31 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if he were interested, but it seems unlikely because they spent their first round draft pick on another french center who actually played last season.

Oooo, sizzle.

gospursgojas
09-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Id trade him for larry brown straight up.

A 70 y/o larry brown can probably go longer without getting injured than ian can

Blackjack
09-14-2009, 01:48 AM
Who wouldn't be interested in a 22(?)-year old, who stands 6-11'', with good athleticism and possesses solid offensive talent?

The guy might seem injury-prone and a source of frustration to the Spurs and their fans, but to a coach like Brown -- or just about anyone else outside the organization -- he's a huge ball of clay waiting to be molded.

He's a low-cost option, with big upside that non-Spurs coaches and personnel would view as a guy that just needs a change of scenery and their superior expertise. -- Coaches have egos too. --

Brown, IIRC, has been hanging around the French NT and/or some of it's players which probably had him say a few kind words in regards to Ian. I doubt is was much more than that.

Besides, even if Ian has yet to prove he's able of getting the job done and staying healthy.. The potential is still there for him to fill a need on this team, at a position that's hard to come by.

They shouldn't be looking to get rid of any legit size unless their gaining some in return, at this point.

ata
09-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Why is LB interested in Ian?
Does he want to turn another prospect in HVC?

mountainballer
09-14-2009, 02:58 AM
I mentioned it in another thread (and it wasn't a very popular estimation), I can see a good chance that Ian is traded for a TE (+ 2nd round pick) during this summer.
why? Spurs have to pick up the team option for 2010-11 till October 31th.
assuming that the Spurs will be tax payers 2010-11 this will become pretty expensive. (slightly under 4 million$). add this year salary and the tax (sums up to slightly under 2 million) and a trade for a TE would save about 6 million $.
the Bobcats own two such TEs they could use to acquire Ian.

Ian would not see many minutes this season behind Tim-Dice-Blair-Matt-Ratliff (maybe even Haislip).
if Tiago comes in next season (what most people hope), the rotation is Tim-Tiago-Dice-Blair (+Haislip, if Spurs pick the option for the 2nd year)
not much room and minutes for Ian, who this year can't be sent to Austin.
sorry for the bad news, but if Ian in fact is traded, he won't bring back significant talent.
(I won't complain, if he was part of a package for Raja Bell though)

TDMVPDPOY
09-14-2009, 03:11 AM
does this mean his an official busts?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-14-2009, 03:33 AM
does this mean his an official busts?

Do you enjoy being the village idiot?

:lmao

Texas_Ranger
09-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Diaw for Mahinmi!

lefty
09-14-2009, 08:26 AM
There is NO way Mahinmi is going to the Bobcats.

Because they are not a division rival

bigfan
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
"Just heard an interesting rumor from a friend that was at the Hall of Fame ceremony that Brown likes Ian Mahinmi and was perhaps interested in some sort of deal to acquire him"

What do yall think?
to me this is BS

Sounds like bs to me.

hater
09-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Brown probably owes Pop a favor or 2.

TDMVPDPOY
09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Brown probably owes Pop a favor or 2.

yeh jacky butler :(

gospursgojas
09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I mentioned it in another thread (and it wasn't a very popular estimation), I can see a good chance that Ian is traded for a TE (+ 2nd round pick) during this summer.
assuming that the Spurs will be tax payers 2010-11 this will become pretty expensive. (slightly under 4 million$). add this year salary and the tax (sums up to slightly under 2 million) and a trade for a TE would save about 6 million $.

Ian would not see many minutes this season behind Tim-Dice-Blair-Matt-Ratliff (maybe even Haislip).
if Tiago comes in next season (what most people hope), the rotation is Tim-Tiago-Dice-Blair (+Haislip, if Spurs pick the option for the 2nd year)
sorry for the bad news, but if Ian in fact is traded, he won't bring back significant talent.

Why the hell would the spurs wanna tight end???

will_spurs
09-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Why the hell would the spurs wanna tight end???

He meant WR :lol

sananspursfan21
09-14-2009, 11:10 AM
bobcats have nothing of spurs interest

coyotes_geek
09-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Who wouldn't be interested in a 22(?)-year old, who stands 6-11'', with good athleticism and possesses solid offensive talent?.

A team who's already got a 21 year old who stands 7'-0" with good athleticism. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4482

poop
09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Id trade him for larry brown straight up.

A 70 y/o larry brown can probably go longer without getting injured than ian can

hahaah

Blackjack
09-14-2009, 12:38 PM

It's a good point and makes sense financially, but I still wouldn't do it if I'm the Spurs.

They've clearly made a point of stating their intentions -- biting the bullet and paying the tax in exchange for a potential title. -- and I think for the first time in awhile, the Spurs are looking from a basketball-standpoint first and foremost.

Now, if they can achieve some savings financially without sacrificing anything from a basketball-standpoint? Then, yeah, they'll most certainly do so.

A scenario like yours would only make sense to me though, if they end up acquiring a guy who they know brings what Ian could potentially; I'm still of the mind that another defensive-big, standing 6-10'' or taller, might be needed to make the luxury-tax gamble pay off.

For all the money they've spent and great roster moves they've made, their `Big' rotation still only consists of:

Duncan - Not going to do better.

'Dyess - Great addition and solid defender, but 6-9'' and not a great matchup against some of the bigger front court players

Bonner - The shooting-4 who will look a lot better playing in a role much more suited to his talents; the third or fourth big off the bench. Bonner takes a lot of heat on this board for what he can't do -- something magnified by being put in position as a starter, which he's not -- but he is what he is; which is a good thing, if he's being asked to do what he can do.

Blair - A 6-6''/6-7'' rebounding machine with good hands and offensive talent, but a rookie who's been foul-prone at the collegiate level and doesn't promise to get the benefit of the whistle to use his physicality defensively against the better players in the league in year-one.

Mahinmi - A 6-11'' athletic specimen with lottery-talent who, even if stays healthy enough to realize his potential -- a big if, will be viewed as a rookie. He's shown much more promise with his offensive game in getting to and converting from the free-throw line than he has in rebounding or defending, although there have been flashes, but it remains to be seen how his game will translate, and which aspects of his game will thrive, playing alongside and against superior talent at the NBA level.

Ratliff - The former shot-blocker extraordinaire, who'll be playing the Willis role and hopefully turning back the clock for a critical game or two. Not someone who can be counted on night-in and night-out at this point, though.

Haislip - A tweener 3/4 who brings explosiveness and the potential of a 3-point shot, but isn't someone known for his defense. He's got the size and athleticism to at least give the Spurs another option to throw at some of the bigger perimeter players in the league, but it remains to be seen whether he's willing to put in the time, effort and focus to fulfill his defensive potential. Has toiling overseas and out of the league had him accept the player he needs to become to stick with the Spurs and in the NBA, is basically the question.

So, basically, the Spurs are counting on two bigs -- two older vets, at that. -- that are pretty much known quantities and that most would feel comfortable with at the top of their rotation.

After that?

There's a whole lot of question marks.

Mahinmi could be the answer, at least defensively, and that's enough for me to want him to stick around for the time being. -- At least until they find out what they can get with their expirings or who will be available for a buy-out; maybe even a guy like Camby? --

Blackjack
09-14-2009, 12:56 PM
A team who's already got a 21 year old who stands 7'-0" with good athleticism. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4482

I didn't say why wouldn't they trade for him, I said who wouldn't be interested.

I don't know of too many teams that wouldn't like to add a cheap `Big' with upside if they had the chance. Especially teams that are building towards the future and in need of assets or contributors where ever they can find them.

Brown being interested in a player is like saying Wilt liked women.

Of course, Larry's interested in a player.

He's Larry Brown.

My point was, because of Diaw and Anjica, he's been around the French team and had a chance to probably evaluate some of it's talent. Somewhere along the line he probably had a few kind words to say about Mahinmi, and, thus, now he's `interested.'

Of course he is...

Shastafarian
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM

What do yall think?
to me this is BS

I wonder if it's the same person who guaranteed Scola was coming over a couple summers ago. If so then I'll believe it! *wanks off*