PDA

View Full Version : Hornets' Hopes Rest On How Much Paul Can Sting

duncan228
09-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Hornets' hopes rest on how much Paul can sting (http://www.probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=725)
By Tony Mejia
Pro Basketball News

Editor's note: This is the 11th of PBN's 2009-10 season previews, in which we analyze all 30 teams.

NEW ORLEANS HORNETS (49-33)

How it ended: In a humiliating end to a disappointing season, the Hornets were destroyed by Denver in five games, managing to avoid the sweep by the skin of their teeth. Basically comprised of the walking wounded, the Hornets were a shell of themselves in the playoffs, with the lowlight a 101-63 loss in Game 4. New Orleans regressed defensively throughout the season and was victimized by nagging injuries to Tyson Chandler and Peja Stojakovic among others.

Coach: Byron Scott's seat is a little warm as he comes into the season on the final year of his current pact. Given the way last season ended and with a major piece like Emeka Okafor now on board, look for the early part of the season to be pivotal for Scott in order to avoid an early axe. He won't be out of work long if he and the Hornets do part ways, but his current gig is in jeopardy.

Arrivals: C/F Emeka Okafor, G Darren Collison, F Ike Diogu, F/C Darius Songaila, G Bobby Brown, G Marcus Thornton

Departures: C Tyson Chandler, G Antonio Daniels, F/G Rasual Butler

Projected starters: F Peja Stojakovic, F David West, C Emeka Okafor, G Chris Paul, G/F Morris Peterson.

Position battles: With Stojakovic often injured, James Posey and Julian Wright are in line for big minutes. The Hornets would love if Wright would command more floor time, but he's yet to realize his full potential. Devin Brown is also on board to contend with Wright and rookie Marcus Thornton for time behind likely starter Morris Peterson. Collison should have a leg up on Brown for the sparse minutes available behind Paul, while Diogu and Songaila will challenge holdovers Hilton Armstrong and Sean Marks for minutes up front.

Chemistry experiment: Okafor isn't going to throw off the Hornets by any means, but it sure would be nice to see him and Paul get on the same page offensively. The alley oops should come easy, but refining Okafor's game by getting him the ball in better spots than he's ever seen it could prove extremely beneficial. Getting anyone to ably play off Paul in the backcourt would also be a major enhancement.

Best case: Teaming up with Paul allows Okafor to unveil some offensive tricks we didn't know he had, while Wright, Collison, Diogu and Songaila make for a much deeper bench, helping keep the starters from over-extending themselves. With Stojakovic and Peterson healthy more often than not, New Orleans re-emerges as one of the top teams in the Western Conference.

Worst case: Paul suffers through an injury-plagued season and everything falls apart. Scott is fired, West slumps and Okafor is no more effective in the Big Easy than he was in Charlotte. As a result, the Hornets slip out of the West's top eight, losing their spot to Golden State or Oklahoma City.

Prediction: Clearly, this team's fortunes are tied to Paul and for all our sakes, the best point guard in the game will be around to watch. The key is keeping him interested, which his teammates will do by making enough strides to land New Orleans back in the 50-win club, challenging San Antonio and Dallas for supremacy in the Southwest Division.

Lars
09-14-2009, 12:39 AM
I am not convinced point guard led teams like Bulls, Hornets and Jazz can be contenders in this day and age. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

redzero
09-14-2009, 01:00 AM
2nd seed, here we come!

Ghazi
09-14-2009, 06:47 AM
50 wins, 7th seed, 1st round exit.

Hornets1
09-14-2009, 08:39 AM

I think that's the nicest thing you have ever said about the hornets.

jazzypimp
09-14-2009, 08:55 AM

LoL Ghazi still bitter about Tyson Chandler. Tyson not on the Hornets anymore Ghaz. Your wife is safe!:lol

Culburn369
09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
[[[Coach: Byron Scott's seat is a little warm as he comes into the season on the final year of his current pact. Given the way last season ended and with a major piece like Emeka Okafor now on board, look for the early part of the season to be pivotal for Scott in order to avoid an early axe. He won't be out of work long if he and the Hornets do part ways, but his current gig is in jeopardy.]]]

I hope they fall flat on their face.

a. I hate Paul
b. I love Scott

I'd like to have Scott come to Los Angeles as an assistant. It would be swell, Jazzy. I'd be like tumescent, sweet thing.

redzero
09-14-2009, 09:04 AM

a. I hate Paul
b. I love Scott

I'd like to have Scott come to Los Angeles as an assistant. It would be swell, Jazzy. I'd be like tumescent, sweet thing.

Good, you can have Scott for free.

Culburn369
09-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Well, Red, keep rollin' over like you did all last season and it'll come to fruition.

Hornets1
09-14-2009, 09:10 AM
[[[Coach: Byron Scott's seat is a little warm as he comes into the season on the final year of his current pact. Given the way last season ended and with a major piece like Emeka Okafor now on board, look for the early part of the season to be pivotal for Scott in order to avoid an early axe. He won't be out of work long if he and the Hornets do part ways, but his current gig is in jeopardy.]]]

a. I hate Paul
b. I love Scott

Good morning Douchebag. Scott would go to LA to coach, but as an assistant?:bang You hate Paul and love Scott? Really? Your either special or every other lakers' fan. Just try to keep it down, I'm sure lakaluva is still sleeping, and after what you did to him last night, he will need it.

jazzypimp
09-14-2009, 09:13 AM
[[

Did cockburn just give me a shout out?? :toast

Culburn369
09-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Did cockburn just give me a shout out?? :toast

Are the Jazz ringless?

Me & you, Speedos, noon! Chow!

jazzypimp
09-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Are the Jazz ringless?

Me & you, Speedos, noon! Chow!

Are you an anal fixator?? I believe that to be fact.

Culburn369
09-14-2009, 09:26 AM
You've seemed to be enamored of my package area, Jazzy. And my Speedos ain't doing me any good sittin' here stewin' in 'em.

What say, old horse?

jazzypimp
09-14-2009, 09:30 AM
You've seemed to be enamored of my package area, Jazzy. And my Speedos ain't doing me any good sittin' here stewin' in 'em.

What say, old horse?:sleep

I feel bad that you still have imaginary friends..and you call that friend your package.. when all it is, is one big desert muff of bug filled hair.

Culburn369
09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
:sleep

I feel bad that you still have imaginary friends..and you call that friend your package.. when all it is, is one big desert muff of bug filled hair.

It is a smidge puny, Jazzy, but, I figure me & you get together under the Red Roof Inn and you'll get at least half staff. I'll bring the popsicle sticks, rubber bands, Popeyes' Bonafide Luncheon, and Jergens. You bring all your Jazz rings, and some Russell Stover Coconut Cluster.

Savvy, hunky?

jazzypimp
09-14-2009, 09:40 AM
It is a smidge puny, lakaluva, but, I figure me & you get together under the Red Roof Inn and you'll get at least half staff. I'll bring the popsicle sticks, rubber bands, Popeyes' Bonafide Luncheon, and Jergens. You bring all your Anal rings, and some Russell Stover Coconut Cluster.

Savvy, hunky?

Your PM to lakaluva revealed!! Thats just plain nasty bro!

Culburn369
09-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Your PM to lakaluva revealed!! Thats just plain nasty bro!

Moo, moo, buck-a-roo!

redzero
09-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, Red, keep rollin' over like you did all last season and it'll come to fruition.

Correction: the Hornets rolled over during the second half of last season.

Precautions have been to prevent from happening again.

I am curious as to why you would want Scott in the first place.

Culburn369
09-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I am curious as to why you would want Scott in the first place.

I think he'd garner much respect there. After Jackson leaves we ain't gettin' Pop, so it's a grab-bag of everyone else. Scott is the pick of that particular litter.