PDA

View Full Version : Singleton to stay with Mavericks

sribb43
09-14-2009, 09:37 AM
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/09/singleton-to-stay-a-maverick.html

Singleton to stay with Mavericks

The Mavericks are set to retain the services of James Singleton, who is expected to accept their qualifying offer and sign his contract today or Tuesday, a pair of NBA sources said.

Singleton averaged 5.1 points and 4 rebounds last season, but improved as the year went along as he recovered from serious knee surgery.

The 6-8 Singleton also played four different positions during the course of the season and showed 3-point shooting range in addition to being a solid rebounder.

Singleton had been weighing his options since receiving the Mavericks' qualifying offer, which is for $1.09 million. The league minimum for a player entering his fourth season is $884,000.

The Mavericks' roster now has 17 guaranteed contracts. A maximum of 15 can be kept on the final roster, meaning management will be busy in the coming weeks trying to shed two or more lower-end contracts for future considerations.

The easiest player to jettison is Greg Buckner, who has a $4-million contract, but can be bought out for $1 million, which owner Mark Cuban has said is a possibility. And trades are always in the Mavericks' discussions.

--Eddie Sefko

Ghazi
09-14-2009, 09:46 AM
He's very good! I like him!

Findog
09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Start measuring guys finger sizes for rings.

Ghazi
09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Start measuring guys finger sizes for rings.

:toast

Darkwaters
09-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Is this significant?

z0sa
09-14-2009, 06:11 PM
mavfan can exhale now

Findog
09-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Is this significant?

Yes, goddamnit!!!

Muser
09-14-2009, 06:16 PM
:lobt2:

duncan228
09-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Mavs add Singleton, drop Buckner (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-mavericks-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns)

The Dallas Mavericks are keeping forward James Singleton and getting rid of guard Greg Buckner.

Singleton, a restricted free agent, looked around but decided to stick with Dallas since he already has a year invested with coach Rick Carlisle and his system. The 6-foot-8 Singleton showed his versatility by playing every position but point guard last season. He also averaged 5.1 points and 4 rebounds per game, with six starts.

“We are excited to bring James back into the fold for next season,” said Donnie Nelson, the team’s president of basketball operations. “His tireless work ethic and locker-room presence were a large part of our success last year.”

Buckner’s departure was no surprise.

A 1998 draftee who already has had two stints with the Mavs, Bucker arrived as part of the four-team trade that brought Shawn Marion to Dallas in July. The Mavericks were hoping to use his buyout-friendly contract (due only $1 million on a $4 million deal) as part of a trade, but let him go Monday so he can have time to get invited to another team’s training camp.

“Given our depth at that position, coupled with the number of guaranteed contracts, there is simply no room on our roster,” Nelson said.

Dallas has 16 guaranteed contracts, one more than is allowed during the season.

sribb43
09-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Tim Thomas hurt is knee in a pick up game per DMN.

dirk4mvp
09-14-2009, 06:52 PM
James Worthy 2.0

erikuff
09-14-2009, 06:53 PM
OMG! whut a relief! i can now sleep safe and sound! I knew my mavs would come around and save the season! :)

monosylab1k
09-14-2009, 06:53 PM
So much for "the Buck Shot"

Ghazi
09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Kinda disappointed the BUck shot wasn't utilized... DB.com hyped the shit outta it and well, I bought into the hype :(. Ah well, we'll go to war with what the fuck we've got.

Mavs winning and Singleton getting minutes had a very high correlation last year... he was a double double machine at times... he's a solid bench player!

DPG21920
09-14-2009, 08:18 PM
That was cool of the Mavs to let Buck go and not hold onto him until the last second hoping to make a deal.

I thought they would use that, but guess not. Maybe Dampier will be moved? Josh Howard might be another candidate if Marion does well and they can get something for him. He has a team option which acts like an expiring contract.