PDA

View Full Version : Jazz: Williams Dodges, Talks Upcoming Season

duncan228
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Utah Jazz: Williams dodges, talks upcoming season (http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_13325416)
By Ross Siler
The Salt Lake Tribune

Two weeks before the start of training camp, Deron Williams was on the Jazz practice court Saturday firing dodgeballs hard enough to bring a smile to your face yet leave you holding your breath all at the same time.

"I'm a competitor," said Williams, who emerged unscathed aside from a sore shoulder.

It was all in good fun as Williams and Kyle Korver co-hosted their first "Dodge Barrage" charity tournament, which drew some 40 teams and raised an estimated $10,000 for The Christmas Box House shelters for children.

The event was so successful, thanks to a series of Internet videos they produced, that Williams and Korver had to accommodate eight extra teams. Williams said next year's event might need a convention-center sized space.

With the season only days away, both Williams and Korver expressed surprise that the Jazz appear set to bring back 12 players from last season's team that stumbled to an eighth-place conference finish and was eliminated from the playoffs in the first round.

"It's a surprise, but it's out of my control," Williams said.

After stressing to reporters in July that the Jazz had a long offseason to make moves, Williams said Saturday: "There's still stuff that can be done, but right now, we've got the team we've got. That's what we're riding with right now. That's what you've got to go with."

That team for now includes Carlos Boozer, who is set to return to Utah after campaigning for a trade this summer and even naming Chicago and Miami as preferred destinations in a series of interviews.

Asked if he was concerned about the potential distraction Boozer presents, Williams said: "I'm sure there's going to be a lot of questions that have to be answered, but a lot of that's from Carlos. I've said I want to be here. I don't have any questions to answer."

Williams said he had not spoken to Boozer recently and didn't want to venture a guess about how things would play out should Boozer return.

"We won't know until we get there," Williams said. "I hope it doesn't cause any problems. I hope we can just start fresh and have a great year. As long as he's on our team, he's my teammate, and that's what we're riding with."

Korver, meanwhile, said he was "a little bit" concerned about his right wrist after undergoing surgery in May to remove scar tissue. He has been working with therapists and said his wrist had improved the last two weeks but was uncertain he'd be ready for camp.

"This team as put together has shown it can be very good," said Korver, who added that he had yet to talk with the Jazz about a contract extension this summer. "It's just got to be put together."

jazzypimp
09-14-2009, 12:15 PM
I can tell willaims isn't very fond of Boozer... that was evident at the end of last season when the team started to crumble. This will be a problem for sure. Something has got to happen!

Culburn369
09-14-2009, 12:23 PM
- "It's like a nightmare. Just keeps getting worse."

- "Grady Seasons" - "The Color of Money"

erikuff
09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
They should be trying for a Boozer and Beasley swap.

Dunc n Dave
09-14-2009, 10:37 PM
The sooner Boozer is shipped out, the better off the Jazz will be. Let Chicago and Miami put in bids and take the best offer.

Darthkiller
09-14-2009, 11:24 PM
they will have a a top 10 pick next year from new york

iggypop123
09-14-2009, 11:25 PM
they are still haunted by wasting the money on kirelenko. the nickname is amazing but not worth the 16 million he gets a yr

Culburn369
09-15-2009, 02:16 AM
I wish we could snag Kirilenko. Sloan would never do it, but, it is nice to contemplate. He has so much prime left. He'd be terrific in a fresh start/in the triangle/under Jackson's tutelage. He'd make Kobe so much more efficient.

Dunc n Dave
09-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I wish we could snag Kirilenko. Sloan would never do it, but, it is nice to contemplate. He has so much prime left. He'd be terrific in a fresh start/in the triangle/under Jackson's tutelage. He'd make Kobe so much more efficient.

He is mentally WEAK and Kobe would ruin him with his demanding tirades. One slap to the back of the head and he'd be worthless...

Culburn369
09-15-2009, 11:22 PM
He is mentally WEAK and Kobe would ruin him with his demanding tirades. One slap to the back of the head and he'd be worthless...

Well, make up yer mind, peanut for a brain. Is he WEAK or will Kobe ruin him?

Dunc n Dave
09-15-2009, 11:24 PM
well, make up yer mind, peanut for a brain. Is he weak or will kobe ruin him?

both

Culburn369
09-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Well, for Christ sake...you got all the bases covered, ya puny thing, you.

Dunc n Dave
09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Well, for Christ sake...you got all the bases covered, ya puny thing, you.

you forgot "weak" that having no job thing has you off your game, troll...

Culburn369
09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
you forgot "weak" that having no job thing has you off your game, troll...

lmcontrollinao!

Dunc n Dave
09-15-2009, 11:36 PM
lmcontrollinao!

Keep tellin youerself that while you thumb through the classifieds... I guess they didn't need you to clean the head in the military anymore. This recession has even hit our armed forces...

Culburn369
09-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Keep tellin youerself that while you thumb through the classifieds... I guess they didn't need you to clean the head in the military anymore. This recession has even hit our armed forces...

C'mon, Dunc, come ta Pappy!

tee, hee.