PDA

View Full Version : Arrogant Or Thankful?

duncan228
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/robinson.jpg

Arrogant or Thankful? (http://www.scriptoriumdaily.com/2009/09/14/arrogant-or-thankful/)
Paul Spears

A great many people idolize professional athletes. Watching a professional athlete drive a golf ball 300 yards to the pin, dunk a basketball, serve a tennis ball at over 120 miles an hour or pass for a touchdown is impressive. But, why do world-class athletic abilities so often lead to world class arrogance? Does athletic competition bring out the worst in us as humans? Are professional athletes a microcosm of our own arrogant attempts to control and make meaning out of a life that is anything but perfect?

Arguably, one of the best basketball players in the world was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday. At his induction speech this individual took shots at anyone he felt held him down or didn’t give him his due respect. He wanted to prove they were wrong in either their assessment of him or show they couldn’t hold him down.

He started by naming the player who beat him out for a spot on his high school basketball team when he was a sophomore, and didn’t stop until he named seemingly all the NBA coaches, general managers and superstars who he felt disrespected him. Mostly, the speech was a cavalcade of arrogance and one-upmanship. He didn’t thank very many people, but talked about how basketball was everything to him.

A few days ago a very famous female tennis star was in the middle of a very tough tennis match. She was in the midst of losing serve (15-30), and, if she did so, she would lose the match. She double faulted and was down 15-40.

The tennis star stormed over to the line judge who had called the double-fault, and in a profanity laced tirade yelled, “If I could, I would take this…ball and shove it down your… throat.” (To quote Ralphie from A Christmas Story, she used “the queen-mother of dirty words.”) The umpire of the game took a point away from the star for unsportsman like conduct, and she lost the match ending her tournament run.

At the ensuing press conference when she was asked if she was going to apologize to the line judge for her actions said,

An apology for? From me? How many people yell at linespeople? Players, athletes get frustrated I don’t know how many times I’ve seen that happen…I haven’t really thought about it to have any regrets. I was out there and I fought and I tried and I did my best…I used to have a real temper, and I’ve gotten a lot better.

In her arrogance she was blinded to the egregious nature of her actions toward another human being during a tennis match (which is not life and death), but she was so personally wrapped up in the match that she was not able to control herself—even when she knew her actions were being broadcast around the world.

The good news is that not all professional athletes are created equal. David Robinson, a professional basketball player, who played center for the San Antonio Spurs gave an amazing speech at his induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame (Watch it here (http://www.nba.com/video/channels/hall_of_fame/2009/09/11/nba_20090911_hof_robinson_speech.nba/)). The speech is best characterized by the word “thankful.” He spoke for 7:45 of which 2:45 were about basketball.

He started by talking to each of his 3 boys saying unique things about each one…David Jr.-“So intelligent and so wonderful,” Corey-“A man after God’s own heart.” Justin-“He is my heart, on my lap…brilliant..a leader.” He wanted them to live up to the Robinson name and make them proud.

He thanked his wife by saying, “You make me want to be a better man every day.” He thanked his parents for, “Planting the seed of faith in me that has grown.”

He ended his speech by sharing about the story of the 10 lepers in Luke 17. After Jesus had healed them only one came back, and how he fell at Jesus feet thanking him. Robinson is a man who has it all—money, fame, influence, and, yet, he compares himself to a leper who is thankful because Jesus healed him. Robinson finishes his speech by saying,

God has followed me during my career and he has blessed me…if anybody who knows me or if anybody has watched me you have seen his hand in my life, and my prayer is that he will walk with you as he has walked with me all through my life.

This was not your typical induction speech, but Robinson is anything but typical. He has donated over 11 million of his own dollars to start a school that helps underprivileged children. The NBA has named its monthly service award after him. When asked if he ever wishes he could play again it is clear that he has moved on with his life, and he does not need or miss the limelight.

It takes a man who knows that all the worlds’ accolades are nothing, and that we are broken and sick like lepers who need the great physician. It takes a man to know that he is 7’2” of weakness who desperately needs the strength of the Christ to unflinchingly share his desire that all are healed like he has been because of the love of God. Arrogance is done away with by a clear conception of your person in relation to God’s holiness. May David Robinson be an example for all of us of what true greatness is all about.

TIMMYD!
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Good read

bigfan
09-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Im not real religious but David did give a great speech. Jordan just confirmed whateveryone knew throughout his career. He was a super talented, bitter, arrogant prick.

Thompson
09-14-2009, 10:47 PM
It was a good read, thanks for posting it duncan228.

pjjrfan
09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Im not real religious but David did give a great speech. Jordan just confirmed whateveryone knew throughout his career. He was a super talented, bitter, arrogant prick.
You know it's strange but that is almost exactly what Jeff Van Gundy said about Jordan. And in his speech Jordan brought that up and Jordan asked "where did that come from."

ezau
09-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Jordan is a motherfucker. I'm glad we had Robinson instead of him. Robinson is great man on and off the court.

honestfool84
09-14-2009, 11:26 PM
great read, thank you, duncan228.

Taking it to the Hole
09-14-2009, 11:45 PM
At the end of the day, David can look back on his life and have no regrets. He understands that life is a gift and whatever talent he may posses is not his, but was bestowed upon him by God. Jordan is not grateful for anything he has because he feels everything that he does have was due to him. No matter how hard Jordan tries, he will never have the happiness & fulfillment that David does.

TD 21
09-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Somewhat off-topic, and irrelevant, but I notice in the article they list Robinson as 7'2'', yet during his career he was always listed at 7'1''. Duncan used to be listed at 7'0'', and since Robinson has retired has been listed at 6'11''. Where I'm going with this is if you see them standing next to one another, you'll notice there's probably more than a 2 inch height differential. I'd suggest it's more like 3. So that begs the question: Is Robinson really 7'2''? Because Duncan is definitely a full 6'11''.

ezau
09-15-2009, 02:58 AM
At the end of the day, David can look back on his life and have no regrets. He understands that life is a gift and whatever talent he may posses is not his, but was bestowed upon him by God. Jordan is not grateful for anything he has because he feels everything that he does have was due to him. No matter how hard Jordan tries, he will never have the happiness & fulfillment that David does.

I agree with this. Jordan has it all, yet he seems still unsatisfied. If you want to be a better player, look up at Jordan. If you want to be a better player and person, look up at DRob.

SpurNation
09-15-2009, 03:19 AM
God truly works through David who's open to His message. Inspirational indeed.

manufan10
09-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Great read. Thanks duncan228!

elbamba
09-15-2009, 10:25 AM
All you need to know about Robinson can be summed up with his actions when Duncan came to town. He stepped aside and allowed Duncan to take over and be the superstar. Jordan would not have done this and few superstars would. Duncan has returned the favor by putting up lower numbers and allowing Manu and Tony to shine. True superstars who put the game in front of their own stats and story.

coyotes_geek
09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Jordan is a motherfucker. I'm glad we had Robinson instead of him. Robinson is great man on and off the court.

Come on. If Jordan had been a Spur we'd all just shrug off his speech and point out that the arrogance is what made him great.

SenorSpur
09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Fantastic read!

Thanks for posting.

phxspurfan
09-15-2009, 11:31 AM
An apology for? From me? How many people yell at linespeople? Players, athletes get frustrated I don’t know how many times I’ve seen that happen…I haven’t really thought about it to have any regrets. I was out there and I fought and I tried and I did my best…I used to have a real temper, and I’ve gotten a lot better.

You can't blame Serena for those words. She wasn't being arrogant there, she was being an athlete. She is almost at the top of her game and was focused on winning a tournament when she got baited and jobbed by a ref. It happens. The only reason this became such a big deal is because tennis is a on 1 sport (not to mention the fact that the line judge is asian and Serena is black, and the media likes to stress racial tension like it always exists). It's not like she went into the crowd and started punching people.

And Jordan is still a prick.

ShoogarBear
09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Arguably, one of the best basketball players in the world was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday.

This dude better hope MJ never reads that sentence.

ezau
09-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Come on. If Jordan had been a Spur we'd all just shrug off his speech and point out that the arrogance is what made him great.

did you even hear him thank Chicago during his speech? If he had worn the Spurs uniform, he'll never mention San Antonio as well. The man is self-absorbed and that fueled his success on the court.

SenorSpur
09-15-2009, 10:44 PM
I agree with this. Jordan has it all, yet he seems still unsatisfied. If you want to be a better player, look up at Jordan. If you want to be a better player and person, look up at DRob.

:tu

coyotes_geek
09-15-2009, 10:47 PM
did you even hear him thank Chicago during his speech? If he had worn the Spurs uniform, he'll never mention San Antonio as well. The man is self-absorbed and that fueled his success on the court.

And if he delivered 6 titles to San Antonio instead of Chicago none of us would have given a damn.

Spursmania
09-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Great Read. Thanks Duncan228.

ezau
09-15-2009, 11:16 PM
And if he delivered 6 titles to San Antonio instead of Chicago none of us would have given a damn.

We already have four titles during the Tim Duncan era. I'm more than grateful with that already. Fuck Jordan and his titles.

BoricuaCJA
09-16-2009, 02:00 AM
We already have four titles during the Tim Duncan era. I'm more than grateful with that already. Fuck Jordan and his titles.
Now Imagine having the best players at their position play together(maybe, he might of stayed playing longer) and us having 10 rings. That would be f'n awesome!!! but then again we might not have a chance to draft TD if Jordan was here and everything might of been different. But I'm happy that we had D-rob. Great person in and out of the game.

EricB
09-16-2009, 03:04 AM

Hmmm, no, no we wouldn't.

EricB
09-16-2009, 03:07 AM

Bullshit.

Jordan could've brought me 10 titles with SA and had he still acted that way I would've been embarassed and disgusted I ever paid money to watch him play.

Theres things as or more important than freaking rings. Character and class and knowing how to win and lose are those.

Give the BS about "had he been with SA we would be talking different" stuff a rest.

FkLA
09-16-2009, 04:22 AM
Im wondering if D-Rob's speech was supposed to be that short or if the fgts that run the HOF made him hurry or something....it was a great speech regardless but I definitely think he left out some people, most notably Pop.

As for Jordan, I dont see the big deal with his speech. He wasnt calling the people out in a negative manner, moreso as a way to show why he was the greatest player of all-time. Those people played a huge role in making him the GOAT and by calling them out he was actually thanking them. I didnt feel any tension or hostility towards any of the people he called out, with the exception of Krause the Bulls owner.

coyotes_geek
09-16-2009, 07:46 AM

That's easy for you to say because Jordan won titles for someone else and we have some titles of our own. Had Jordan been the one to deliver the titles to San Antonio then you'd be singing a different tune.

coyotes_geek
09-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Hmmm, no, no we wouldn't.

Bullshit.

Jordan could've brought me 10 titles with SA and had he still acted that way I would've been embarassed and disgusted I ever paid money to watch him play.

Theres things as or more important than freaking rings. Character and class and knowing how to win and lose are those.

Give the BS about "had he been with SA we would be talking different" stuff a rest.

This city made Stephen Jackson into a local legend over what he did in just one title run and you're trying to tell me that had Jordan won 6 titles for San Antonio that we'd turn our nose up towards him because he's arrogant? That's a load of crap.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not a religious person, but that article highlights the most positive possible aspects of faith, respect, self-awareness and humility in people's lives. The comparison with Serena William's arrogance, or Kanye West's childish attention-seeking, or MJ's lack of grace, each of which are emblematic of the crumbling values of modern society, is spot-on.

Wake up world! It's about time people were held accountable for their actions again - rights come hand-in-hand with responsibilities, and it's past time we all put that back into action.

spursncowboys
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
great read, thank you, duncan228.:toast

Mark in Austin
09-16-2009, 12:04 PM
:lol thought this was a Don Harris thread.... :lol

buttsR4rebounding
09-16-2009, 12:36 PM
The stark contrast is that while both were blessed with incredible physical skills DRob is grateful and treats it as a blessing while Jordan believes it was his due and is bitter that he time has robbed him of that. DRob understands that it has enabled him acheive even greater good for humanity that will in the final analysis make his basketball feats pale while Jordan can't even conceptualize anything except his life is going downhill. DRob thanked his children...Jordan said he wouldn't want to be his children. DRob could run for mayor...Jordan just runs from the attorney de jeur...

MarHill
09-17-2009, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=phxspurfan;3689315]You can't blame Serena for those words. She wasn't being arrogant there, she was being an athlete. She is almost at the top of her game and was focused on winning a tournament when she got baited and jobbed by a ref. It happens. The only reason this became such a big deal is because tennis is a on 1 sport (not to mention the fact that the line judge is asian and Serena is black, and the media likes to stress racial tension like it always exists). It's not like she went into the crowd and started punching people.

Yes you can, phxspursfan.

Serena was wrong there, period. All she had to do after the match....is just apologize right then. It would have shown humility and a sense of perspective instead waiting the next day to give an apology (so she could mesaure her words) and she didn't apologize directly to the judge. Terrible!

Also, please don't fall into the trap of race-baiting. So what if the judge was Asian? She was the judge doing her job. Bad calls happen all the time in sports but that doesn't excuse Serena from telling the judge she would shove the ball down her throat.

Inexcusable behavior! I don't care who you are.

I'm not writing that Serena should be sent to jail or never play tennis again...but I believe a lot of athletes (and regular people) in general don't want to accept the consequences of when they do things wrong.

Look at what Kanye West did to Taylor Swift at that awards show?!? That was inexcusable behavior...period.

I don't care if he's a celebrity or not. Right is right and Wrong is wrong!! I'm sad to write that I believe we have lost that in our culture. People will always rationalize any wrong doing. But they still should be called on regardless of their status in society.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes you can, phxspursfan.

Serena was wrong there, period. All she had to do after the match....is just apologize right then. It would have shown humility and a sense of perspective instead waiting the next day to give an apology (so she could mesaure her words) and she didn't apologize directly to the judge. Terrible!

Also, please don't fall into the trap of race-baiting. So what if the judge was Asian? She was the judge doing her job. Bad calls happen all the time in sports but that doesn't excuse Serena from telling the judge she would shove the ball down her throat.

Inexcusable behavior! I don't care who you are.

I'm not writing that Serena should be sent to jail or never play tennis again...but I believe a lot of athletes (and regular people) in general don't want to accept the consequences of when they do things wrong.

Look at what Kanye West did to Taylor Swift at that awards show?!? That was inexcusable behavior...period.

I don't care if he's a celebrity or not. Right is right and Wrong is wrong!! I'm sad to write that I believe we have lost that in our culture. People will always rationalize any wrong doing. But they still should be called on regardless of their status in society.

Great post.

Yup, no-one wants to take responsibility for anything any more, and that movement is led by people in the public eye (athletes, actors, celebs, politicians) behaving badly then dodging their responsibility to admit and make amends for their behaviour. That in turn sets a bad example for everyone else, and especially kids who look at the bad behaviour and think that they can behave that way without consequences as well. Spot on.

Is it any wonder that our societies are crumbling?

polandprzem
09-17-2009, 09:49 AM
This article is kinda funny.

Sportsmen are regular people and some are arogant some are not. it's normal. and with all the emotions that comes from sport you can let them 9emotions) flow and things happen. And when they show that great sportsment to those masses in tv, in a spotlight everybody is there to judge.
Human nature is to judge others and not likely look at themselves and acknowledge the mistakes.

All in all Robinsons speech was a class act, as usual.
jordans speech was really intresting and caught my attention very well.
Only Sloan put me a litle bit into a sleep mode ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/3920095072_5800620781_o.jpg

polandprzem
09-17-2009, 09:51 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3479/3920060990_254131150e_o.jpg

polandprzem
09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/3919839633_dc536860f0_o.jpg

gospursgojas
09-17-2009, 10:14 AM
This city made Stephen Jackson into a local legend over what he did in just one title run and you're trying to tell me that had Jordan won 6 titles for San Antonio that we'd turn our nose up towards him because he's arrogant? That's a load of crap.

The culture of san antonio is different than chicago's....

We as san antonians don't take well to arrogance.

If we spend 25% of a paycheck (speaking in generalities) to go watch you play, you better thank us as fans.

polandprzem
09-17-2009, 10:20 AM
The culture of san antonio is different than chicago's....

We as san antonians don't take well to arrogance.

If we spend 25% of a paycheck (speaking in generalities) to go watch you play, you better thank us as fans.

U spoiled bastards !

howbouthemspurs
09-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Just awesome! I love David!

Quasar
09-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for posting this... i didn't know the video was watchable online. Great speech - and quite a few lessons to be learnt in humility from there

angel_luv
09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Great and true article about David Robinson.

Sidebar: I find it humorous that the abbreviation for Greatest Of All Time is GOAT.

angel_luv
09-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Wake up world! It's about time people were held accountable for their actions again - rights come hand-in-hand with responsibilities, and it's past time we all put that back into action.

Well said!

A_Duke
09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
holy shit poland, those comics were hilarious. :)