PDA

View Full Version : Next Decade's Hall Of Fame Choices Not So Clear

duncan228
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Next decade's Hall of Fame choices not so clear (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/vince_thomas/09/15/future.hall/)
By Vince Thomas, for NBA.com

Note to self: Don't cross Michael Jordan. Don't even look at MJ the wrong way. Matter fact, don't even post a negative Yelp review on a restaurant that MJ drove past in a taxi. OK? OK.

Forget the famous "pose" against Utah in 1998, Jordan's Hall Of Fame induction speech was the perfect final act to bookend the greatest career in NBA history. The way he concentrated everything that went into MJ the competitor and MJ the icon and distilled it into what was easily the night's most memorable 10 minutes or so -- genius. You know why dude was the greatest? Because of all those harbored resentments. Logs on his fire. Count me as a huge fan of that speech.

This 2009 class may have been the best ever when you add David Robinson, John Stockton and coach Jerry Sloan. It closes the decade with a bang. Practically all the stars from the NBA's Golden Age of the '80s and early '90s -- save for a few, like Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen -- are in Springfield, now.

It made me take a step back, scan the landscape and try to figure out who will follow MJ into Springfield for the next decade. What you'll find is that there currently aren't many retired players that are destined for the Hall.

I chalk it up to that weird period between the Magic-Jordan-Bird era of the Golden Age and the new millennium stars of this current Platinum Age. That period where much of the league's most talented players either underachieved (Derrick Coleman), were hit with career-hindering injuries (Larry Johnson, Penny Hardaway) or had other demons (Shawn Kemp). When this current generation (from, say, KG to Kevin Durant) starts calling it quits, you'll see the same glut of inductees that we've seen this decade. But the next decade, especially the next couple of years, should be pretty quiet on the HOF front.

Looking into my crystal ball, I broke down potential future HOFers into three categories:

The Definites -- likely first ballot guys.
The Maybes -- guys that might take a few years to slip in.
The Next Wave -- active players, over 33, that will likely retire within the next five years and be eligible for induction before the end of the next decade.

The following players should start working on their induction speech now. Just know that none of them will top MJ's epic Logs For My Fire classic.

THE DEFINITES

Karl Malone: Eligible next year. A shoo-in. The second leading scorer and rebounder in league history. Two-time MVP.

Scottie Pippen: First ballot. Six-time NBA champion. Maybe the greatest sidekick, ever. Was one of the top five or six players for most of the 90s.

Reggie Miller: Probably the greatest shooter in NBA history. One of the 10 most clutch players of all time. Five-time All Star.

Alonzo Mourning: Seven-time All Star. Two-time Defensive Player of the Year.

Gary Payton: The best point guard of his generation. The best perimeter player, period (not named MJ), for the second half of the 90s.

Dikembe Mutombo: Eight-time All Star. Four-time Defensive Player of the Year.

THE MAYBES

Chris Webber: Five-time All Star. Unfortunate victim of the Kobe-Shaq buzz-saw. One of only a handful of guys to average 20 and 10 for their career.

Vlade Divac: Solid NBA career, but his role as a trailblazer for the influx of international players and FIBA ambassador might get him in.

Tim Hardaway: Been eligible since 2008. Five-time All Star. Was right there with John Stockton as the best point guard of the early '90s.

Chris Mullin: Incredible career at St. Johns. Five-time All Star. Member of the original Dream Team. He's been eligible since 2006. At some point, he's gotta get in.

THE NEXT WAVE

Shaquille O'Neal: The most dominant, ever. He dominated during an era with a ton of great centers, unlike Wilt, who was playing against guys the same size as Hedo Turkoglu.

Steve Nash: Six-time All Star. Two-time MVP. Three-time All NBA first team. Marching his way up the assists leaderboard.

Allen Iverson: Maybe the best little man in the history of the league.

Jason Kidd: The best point guard of his generation.

Chauncey Billups: Four-time All-Star. Finals MVP. One of the great leaders of his era.

Kevin Garnett: Been in every All-Star Game since 1997. League MVP in 2004. One of the five best players of his generation.

Tim Duncan: The best power forward of all-time.

Ray Allen: Basically Reggie Miller, without the Madison Square Garden theatrics, but with more All-Stars and a ring.

JMarkJohns
09-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Pierce over Ray Allen

sribb43
09-15-2009, 12:08 PM

IronMexican
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Mourning and Mutumbo are sure fire bets? News to me.

benefactor
09-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Forget the famous "pose" against Utah in 1998, Jordan's Hall Of Fame induction speech was the perfect final act to bookend the greatest career in NBA history. The way he concentrated everything that went into MJ the competitor and MJ the icon and distilled it into what was easily the night's most memorable 10 minutes or so -- genius. You know why dude was the greatest? Because of all those harbored resentments. Logs on his fire. Count me as a huge fan of that speech.

Slurp, slurp...gulp, glup.

I didn't even make it to the names.

TDMVPDPOY
09-15-2009, 12:41 PM
shaq MDE?

late 90s most of the elite centers in that decade were declining real quick, drob, ewing, hakeem..all 3 were merely role players of their former self...00s shaq only had mourning, mutombo, divac, smits, yao....rashow, erica

Galileo
09-15-2009, 01:41 PM

agreed

ShoogarBear
09-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Reggie Miller isn't a sure-fire HoFer. A possible, maybe probable one, but not definite.

No way Mutumbo makes it, and Mourning is on the bubble. Chris Mullen will get in before both those guys.

Vlade? Are you kidding?

Muser
09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Vlade???

JamStone
09-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I think his reasoning is solid, as Vlade was one of the pioneers for the influx of international players in the NBA. Isn't that why Drazen Petrovic is in the HOF? Plus, those Yugoslavia/Serbia-Montenegro FIBA teams did a lot of damage during Vlade's time.

I wonder if Kevin Johnson and Mark Jackson have a chance at the HOF. KJ might be one of the most explosive PGs of all time and has a career 9.1 apg, which ranks pretty high. And, Mark Jackson isn't exactly the typical HOFer, but having the second most assists all time does offer some consideration.

And, I agree that Zo and Dikembe aren't shoe-ins. I'd actually be surprised if either make it into the Hall. If either or both do, I would expect Ben Wallace to as well, so he should have been listed in the Next Wave.

ShoogarBear
09-15-2009, 05:36 PM
If Vlade, Mutumbo, or Mourning get in to the Hall, then Dennis Rodman should set fire to the place.

Lars
09-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Mutumbo is interesting, skill wise he doesnt belong there, but his image and his off the court activities will always be a huge part of what the NBA stands for. He should be under the maybe category.

resistanze
09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
You would think an NBA.com writer would know slightly more than shit about basketball.

You shouldn't have expected much after seeing the first half on his list.

Chieflion
09-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Gary Payton was best point guard of his generation? I wonder who was the PG that entered the Hall of Fame this year. I believe it is John Stockton. Chris Mullin should have got in for the Olympic medal he received and his NBA career.

coyotes_geek
09-16-2009, 10:36 AM

No kidding. Kudos to both for being solid players for well over a decade, but how those two get put ahead of guys like Mullin, Hardaway and Webber is beyond me.

coyotes_geek
09-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Gary Payton was best point guard of his generation? I wonder who was the PG that entered the Hall of Fame this year. I believe it is John Stockton. Chris Mullin should have got in for the Olympic medal he received and his NBA career.

Not taking anything away from the obviously-deserving Stockton, but personally I always thought Payton was the better player between the two.

Agree on Mullin. He should be in by now.

bugoy
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Reggie Miller isn't a sure-fire HoFer. A possible, maybe probable one, but not definite.

No way Mutumbo makes it, and Mourning is on the bubble. Chris Mullen will get in before both those guys.

Vlade? Are you kidding?

youre crazy if you dont think mutumbo will make it, they also take account of what you did in the community and he has done ENDLESS in africa

BlackSwordsMan
09-16-2009, 12:36 PM
no kobe?
good list

Chucho
09-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Mutumbo is interesting, skill wise he doesnt belong there, but his image and his off the court activities will always be a huge part of what the NBA stands for. He should be under the maybe category.

Skill wise he does belong there. I wont bother to wiki any stats or anything but the guy was probably the best defensive player of the 90's and very serviceable his entire career. He was always amongst league leaders in rebounds, and swats. Don't know the exact numbers but I know his play definitely makes him HOF worthy, his charitable contributions are just offcourt merits taht add to his legend.