PDA

View Full Version : Blazers' Batum blossoms on France's national team

tlongII
09-15-2009, 03:01 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/09/blazers_batum_blossoms_on_fran.html

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/09/large_batum.euro.JPG

The Trail Blazers' offseason has been sprinkled with contract negotiations, free agent pursuits and rehabilitating players. But through all the newsmaking endeavors, an equally noteworthy event has developed quietly thousands of miles from Portland.

Nicolas Batum, fresh off his breakout rookie season, has shown both maturation and an improved game this summer during high-level international competition in Europe.

Batum, who starts alongside fellow NBA players Tony Parker, Ronny Turiaf and Boris Diaw on the French national team, has displayed increased confidence, a newfound aggressive nature and versatility while playing in EuroBasket, a premier international tournament.

"The best players in the league are always trying to add something to their games (in the offseason)," Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said. "You're either getting better or getting worse. Well, I really feel like he's gotten better."

When training camp opens in two weeks, the Blazers figure to have three starting positions up for grabs -- point guard, small forward and center. Batum will compete with veteran Martell Webster to retain the starting spot at small forward he unexpectedly earned about this time a year ago.

And heading into camp, coach Nate McMillan says, Batum is the favorite.

Although reports from Blazers workouts suggest that Webster has looked phenomenal in recent weeks during pickup games at the practice facility, the fact remains that the one-time starter missed virtually all of last season with a foot injury and only last month was cleared to resume full basketball activities.

Batum impressed in Webster's absence last season, particularly on defense, as the starter on a 54-win team. And his play this summer has reinforced the fact that the Blazers orchestrated one of the steals of the 2008 NBA draft when they acquired Batum, the 25th overall pick, in a trade with the Houston Rockets.

Pritchard traveled to Europe in late August to watch some of his players during the qualifying rounds of EuroBasket, which is the European championships. In addition to Batum, Blazers players Rudy Fernandez and 2009 first-round pick Victor Claver (Spain), Joel Freeland (Great Britain) and Petteri Koponen (Finland) were competing.

Pritchard returned to the U.S. giddy about what he saw from his players. He seemed particularly smitten with Batum, whom Pritchard said looked more confident and played more aggressively than last season.

"Last year he blended, did whatever Nate asked and whatever the team needed," Pritchard said. "(Now) he's showing that he can make more plays. He looks a little bigger and even a little more athletic and you know how athletic he is.

"I think he's a more aggressive player. I think he's willing to try to make aggressive plays. He's taking it to the basket, finishing over people. He just looks comfortable and aggressive."

Batum was a difference-maker during qualifying play, registering 18 points, eight rebounds and six steals in one game and 20 points, eight rebounds and an overtime-forcing three-pointer in another. All the while, he's played multiple positions -- including point guard -- in helping France advance to the championship round.

France is undefeated in championship play (5-0) and already has locked a spot to the quarterfinals, which begin Thursday in Katowice, Poland. France defeated Croatia 87-79 on Sunday -- thanks to Batum's 18 points, five rebounds and two blocked shots -- and resumes play today against Greece in a final tuneup for the quarterfinals.

In championship play, Batum's statistics are balanced if not eye-popping; he's averaging 10.0 points, 5.4 rebounds and 1.2 blocked shots per game, and shooting 58.3 percent from the field.

"(France) has a lot of pros and a lot of veterans and from what I've heard, it's almost like (Batum) just took what he did last year and went over there with confidence and has become one of the key guys on that team," McMillan said.

"From everything I've heard, he's playing good basketball. He's been doing a little bit of everything. Scoring, rebounding; he's had a few assists, a few steals. They say he's just been playing well."

Batum left his exit interview last season knowing that he needed to improve his perimeter shooting. Although he shot a solid 36.9 percent from three-point range as a rookie, that tapered off late in the season and he became almost nonexistent offensively in the playoffs. It became such an issue, McMillan replaced Batum with Fernandez in the starting lineup during the Blazers' final playoff game.

In EuroBasket championship play, Batum has made 5 of 13 three-pointers, including 3 of 5 against Croatia. That might need to improve even more if Batum is to hold onto his starting spot with the Blazers, particularly considering that shooting is Webster's strength.

"I think for his sake, it needs to get better," McMillan said, referring to Batum's long-range shooting.

But the Blazers are choosing to focus on the positives of what they've seen and heard about during international competition this summer.

"He's played really well," Pritchard said. "They're getting into the more competitive rounds and he's really shown growth. He's handled the ball a lot more and ... has really been a disruptive force defensively. I like what I saw over there."

The Franchise
09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I really wish we would have kept this kid. He is an excellent defender, very athletic, a decent shooter, and seems eager to improve. If he works on his ballhandling a bit, I can see him becoming an allstar.