PDA

View Full Version : Miller takes long trail to join Blazers

tlongII
09-15-2009, 04:57 PM
http://columbian.com/article/20090913/SPORTS01/709139958/1001/SPORTS01

http://columbian.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=TC&Date=20090913&Category=SPORTS01&ArtNo=709139958&Ref=AR&Profile=1001&maxw=250&q=100&border=0
The Blazers came very close to acquiring veteran guard Andre Miller through a trade with the 76ers last season.

The romance started last season.

Andre Miller belonged to the Philadelphia 76ers. But the widely respected NBA veteran was in the final year of his contract. And the well-traveled point guard best known for his leadership, selflessness and maturity was already looking for other suitors.

Miller also had interest in re-signing with Philadelphia. But the Sixers had not locked him down.

"I didn't know what was going to happen," Miller, 33, said. "Everything was up in the air."

Rumors swirled as the 2008-09 season played out: Miller was staying; Miller would be traded; Miller would sign with another team as a free agent once the NBA calendar year was over.

For Miller, one what-if scenario made a legitimate mark.

And it wasn't a rumor; it was a proposal.

According to Miller, the Portland Trail Blazers showed serious interest in acquiring the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Los Angeles native in a midseason trade.

Miller was asked by his agent if he was interested.

His response?

"Yeah."

But the deal never went through, and Miller continued to wear a Sixers uniform.

"I just put it on the backburner," said Miller, who averaged 16.3 points, 6.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds for Philadelphia in 2008-09.

The NBA season rolled on.

Miller's 76ers made the playoffs, as did a young, energetic Blazers team. But both squads took an early postseason exit, exiting in the first round.

As soon as each team's season was over, the Miller-Portland dance began again.

But slowly.

First, the Blazers flirted with Orlando Magic forward Hedo Turkoglu. Turkoglu was charmed, but spurned the Blazers for the Toronto Raptors.

Portland then went after Utah Jazz forward Paul Milsap, throwing out big money wrapped in a tight deadline. Utah quickly paid out to keep its prized possession.

Finally, Portland wanted Miller. Miller wanted Portland. A match was made.

"It was the best fit and the best deal out there," Miller said. "Every player is looking for a little more security; that was the main thing. But also trying to find a decent fit. And the Blazers are a young team with a lot of talent and they had a good season last year. It was a plus all around."

New team

Miller holds a reputation for being guarded. Protective.

Ask Miller where he's living, and he responds "I'm around," in a deadpanned tone that is part-joke, part-security check.

Ask Miller which Blazers he's kept in touch with since signing a three-year deal worth $21 million, and he only mentions forward LaMarcus Aldridge.

Then he adds: "Summer is time for guys to be with their families, relax their bodies. … You'll be able to bond with the team once practice starts. I mean, it's a long season, so I don't really communicate with the players — I've never done that in my career."

They're wise words from a 10-year NBA veteran. Someone who has represented five teams since being drafted in 1999 by the Cleveland Cavaliers with the eighth overall pick, following a standout college career at Utah. Someone who has played in a league-leading 530 consecutive games and only missed three in his entire career. Someone who knows when to lace them up and when to take them off.

But there's another side to Miller. One that is more open, eager and ready to give.

"Andre Miller is a great guy," said Portland small forward Martell Webster, who worked out with Miller one summer in Los Angeles. "He's a good dude."

It is Miller's willingness to think of others first — and team before self — that most impressed Blazers president Larry Miller and general manager Kevin Pritchard during contract negotiations.

"I've seen so much of Andre and how he makes everybody else better," Pritchard said.

Miller added: "He wanted to be here. From the very beginning, he told his agent, 'Portland's where I want to go.' To me, those are the kind of guys that we want."

It's also the kind of guy Blazers guard Brandon Roy wanted.

Roy, the new face of the franchise, said he watched from afar this summer while Pritchard and the team were picked apart and critiqued for an inability to land free agents Turkoglu and Milsap.

All the while, Roy said he wanted a player like Andre Miller.

Roy stated he had several conversations with Portland coach Nate McMillan last season, based around the idea the Blazers could use a veteran leader who would guide and lead the team as the pressure intensified and the stakes increased.

Roy went so far as to say that he wanted — perhaps needed — to team up with a strong, solid veteran, someone who could help him shoulder the weight as he ascended from a role player into an All-NBA selection.

"I thought that was answered," said Roy, referring to Miller signing with the Blazers.

Portland's new point guard said he shares No. 7's cannot-wait enthusiasm.

Miller referred to Roy as a mature, athletic player who can do many different things on the court. Miller also praised Roy's work ethic, as well the Seattle native's methodical path from high school to college to the pros — a journey similar to his own.

"I have a lot of respect for a player who paid his dues that way," Miller said.

New game

Miller wanted to come to Portland because the fit was right. The Blazers are a young, like-minded team loaded with talent, potential and depth. A new house still being constructed, but one that could soon take on the appearance of a dynasty.

But there were also simpler reasons.

Miller said he grew up admiring the play of McMillan, a former point guard for the Seattle SuperSonics, also widely respected during his playing days for his leadership, selflessness and maturity.

In addition, Portland presents Miller with a situation Philadelphia could not. The 76ers competed with the Eagles, Flyers and Phillies for fan interest and media coverage. However, Miller said the Blazers are the "only sports franchise in the area."

"There's a little bit more concentration on the team," said Miller, who will also be returning to the West Coast. "I think that allows me to be a little bit more focused."

Then there's Blazermania. Miller is aware of Rip City. And he is looking forward to playing point for a team on the rise — and with the devoted supporters to back it.

"Fans are passionate about their teams and their cities," Miller said. "And just going (to Portland) and being a visitor in that environment is a fun atmosphere."

But for all the talk of a bright, limitless future, Miller is also grounded. He is confident but not cocky.

Even the minor shockwaves he created by stating he intended to win the Blazers' starting point guard position were tempered with sincere praise of incumbent starter Steve Blake and a reminder that "nothing is handed to you."

Right now, Miller said he has one goal: making it past the first round of the NBA playoffs.

It's the same goal that eluded his new team last season.

"I'm not going to fall into the trap of 'I'm the missing piece,' " Miller said. "It's a basketball team, so I'm just part of the puzzle. It's based on what the team does as a team, not what one player can do."