PDA

View Full Version : Old thread about Curtis Jerrells

Pistons < Spurs
09-15-2009, 07:29 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have signed guard Curtis Jerrells to a make-good contract with a partial guarantee, one source told HoopsHype.com. The signing is expected to be announced later this week.

Jerrells, a 6-foot-1 point guard, starred four years at Baylor and was named to the All-Big 12 in 2009.http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2009/09/15/spurs-add-guard/

timtonymanu
09-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Wasnt he suppose to be in Detroit's training camp?

Pistons < Spurs
09-15-2009, 07:32 PM
He had a very short stint w/ Detroit.

I origionally posted this on 8/30

There will be a third point guard at Pistons training camp, which begins late next month.

Baylor point guard Curtis Jerrells signed a non-guaranteed contract this summer, and if he plays well, he'll have a chance to be on the opening night roster.

But he could be facing an uphill climb.

Coach John Kuester is very confident in point guards Rodney Stuckey and Will Bynum. And he also thinks Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and Ben Gordon can initiate the offense.

The team has two roster spots left, but president of basketball operations Joe Dumars likes to keep one spot open during the season for flexibility. And the team likes the potential of 2008 second-round swingman Deron Washington, who signed a partially guaranteed contract this summer.

Jerrells, 22, is 6-feet-1, 200 pounds. A prolific scorer in college, Jerrells will have to make the team by running the offense and playing defense.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090830/SPORTS03/908300504/1051/sports03/Third-point-guard-will-join-Pistons--camp

completely deck
09-15-2009, 07:33 PM
training camp fodder

Pistons < Spurs
09-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Undrafted PG. 6'1" 200 22yrs old

Draft Express Profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Curtis-Jerrells-1085/)

NBADraft Profile (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/curtis-jerrells)

benefactor
09-15-2009, 07:38 PM
training camp fodder
Probably.

Bukefal
09-15-2009, 07:46 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/01-08/0124cjerrells.jpg

Dont know what to think about this. He seems a good player though, but do we really need him?

mookie2001
09-15-2009, 07:52 PM
i just read the pistons signed him yesterday

hes a texas boy, he looks good he feels good

he kind of sucks though, he'll never have the handles to play PG and his D is suspect

Seventyniner
09-15-2009, 08:29 PM
His contract has a partial guarantee? Like $8.50 for lunch?

buttsR4rebounding
09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
His contract has a partial guarantee? Like $8.50 for lunch?

Guaranteed to be bringing the donuts until waived...

Solid D
09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Good player. He's been a shooting star for the Bears the past 3 years...but then again, McClinton has been a shooting star too.

Coach Q in Austin could probably use a good scorer like Curtis.

TIMMYD!
09-15-2009, 08:50 PM
probably just for training camp

spursfan1000
09-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Really means nothing, we have George Hill.

Spursfan092120
09-15-2009, 09:52 PM
w9anGAmF9sg

ChumpDumper
09-15-2009, 09:53 PM
https://webspace.utexas.edu/cokerwr/www/slides/magicians/kreskin.jpg
Kreskin predicts he will be an allocation player for the Toros.

Bruno
09-16-2009, 04:23 AM
So Jerrels was on the verge of signing an non-guaranteed contract with Detroit and Spurs finally get him with a partially guaranty?

As CD said, Spurs motivation should be Toros related. When an undrafted rookie is cut at the end of a NBA training camp and wants to play in the D-League, he enters in the D-league draft. However, Jerrels is an Austin guy so he could be directly assigned to Toros without going through the daft. Spurs/Toros are once again twisting D-League rules.

Saying that, Jerrels looks like a quality addition for a training camp. He should be better than some players of pasts training camp.

The other info of the news is that his signing will be made official this week which means we should also know who are the other training camp invites at the same time.

timvp
09-16-2009, 04:34 AM
Pop is probably going to rest TP a lot in training camp and preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop has TP sit out until the last one or two preseason games. Considering that George Hill is the only other point guard on the roster (and whether he's actually a point guard is still in question), the Spurs need to sign at least one point guard for training camp. Jerrells is decent enough.

I'd still like a veteran playmaking point guard added to the training camp roster. Someone like a Mike Wilks or Eddie Gill would help and make sure the Spurs can actually get a good look at players if TP is sitting out.

Bruno
09-16-2009, 05:03 AM
BTW, Pooh Jeter worked out for Spurs this summer.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Pooh-Jeter/#Pooh-Jeter-The-GRIND-3317

I went to San Antonio to workout with the Spurs for about a week

DaBears
09-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Good luck to him but i dont see this as much more than a training camp type of signing gig....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 08:51 AM
So Jerrels was on the verge of signing an non-guaranteed contract with Detroit and Spurs finally get him with a partially guaranty?

As CD said, Spurs motivation should be Toros related. When an undrafted rookie is cut at the end of a NBA training camp and wants to play in the D-League, he enters in the D-league draft. However, Jerrels is an Austin guy so he could be directly assigned to Toros without going through the daft. Spurs/Toros are once again twisting D-League rules.

Saying that, Jerrels looks like a quality addition for a training camp. He should be better than some players of pasts training camp.

The other info of the news is that his signing will be made official this week which means we should also know who are the other training camp invites at the same time.

Thanks for the analysis. :tu

Pop is probably going to rest TP a lot in training camp and preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop has TP sit out until the last one or two preseason games. Considering that George Hill is the only other point guard on the roster (and whether he's actually a point guard is still in question), the Spurs need to sign at least one point guard for training camp. Jerrells is decent enough.

I'd still like a veteran playmaking point guard added to the training camp roster. Someone like a Mike Wilks or Eddie Gill would help and make sure the Spurs can actually get a good look at players if TP is sitting out.

...a Jacque Vaughn? ;) :lmao

Darkwaters
09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
The return of Mike Wilks?

coopdogg3
09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Don't forget about Parker's hurt ankle. Maybe the FO just wants to bring TP into training camp slowly - so they need some PG training camp fodder until TP is ready.

will_spurs
09-16-2009, 10:44 AM

TP will be very fit and sharp coming into the training camp compared to the other players, so I think it's indeed likely that Pop will rest him quite a bit. And it's not like he has to learn the system... :lol

duncan228
09-16-2009, 12:24 PM
A camp invite for Curtis Jerrells (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/)
By Jeff McDonald

The Spurs have signed former Baylor standout Curtis Jerrells to a partially guaranteed, make-good contract, extending an invitation to join them for training camp.

Jerrells, an Austin native, worked out for the Spurs before the draft, so he has been on their radar screen for a little while.

When it comes to making the team, however, Jerrells -- like other players the Spurs stand to sign as training camp fodder between now and Sept. 29 -- will have his work cut out for him.

The Spurs already have 15 players under contract they like, including Malik Hairston and Marcus Williams, neither of whom own fully guaranteed contracts but stand a better chance of making the team than Jerrells will. That doesn't include 2008 draftee James Gist or 2009 draftee Jack McClinton, neither of whom are currently under contract.

The upshot: We wouldn't expect to see Jerrells on the Spurs final 15-man roster, but he if performs well enough throughout the preseason, he could find a home in the Spurs' pipeline, either in Austin or elsewhere.

benefactor
09-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I guess I didn't realize he was from Austin. I would think that makes him virtually a lock to go to the Toros if he does not make the team.

manu_maniac
09-16-2009, 04:57 PM
I guess I didn't realize he was from Austin. I would think that makes him virtually a lock to go to the Toros when he does not make the team.

Fixed.

There's no doubt in my mind that he can't beat out Williams or Hairston. Both guys already know the system, and have shown they deserve at least some NBA minutes after their success with the Toros. What has Jerrells shown?

EricB
09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Fixed.

There's no doubt in my mind that he can't beat out Williams or Hairston. Both guys already know the system, and have shown they deserve at least some NBA minutes after their success with the Toros. What has Jerrells shown?

Hairston isn't a point guard and right now, the Spurs don't have a third point guard.

manu_maniac
09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Williams is a better point than Jerrells.

kbrury
09-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Williams is a better point than Jerrells.
Agreed, Jerrells is in the same mold of McClinton with less efficient numbers

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Hairston isn't a point guard and right now, the Spurs don't have a third point guard.

I think Marcus Williams would argue with you about that.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/09/09/a-conversation-with-marcus-williams/

Excellent interview, worth a read whether you think you're interested or not. :tu

Blackjack
09-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, it's quite obvious that Pop's flirtation with Pargo and Stoudamire; the drafting of McClinton; and now the addition of Jerrells is much more than a flirtation.

Pop wants his own Eddie House.

Whether McClinton or Jerrells is that guy, remains to be seen. But they should push each other in camp and give the Spurs a better idea of who they'd like to see develop in their program more over the coming years.

Personally, I favor McClinton by a good margin but competition never hurts anyone worth a damn.

MaNu4Tres
09-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Well, it's quite obvious that Pop's flirtation with Pargo and Stoudamire; the drafting of McClinton; and now the addition of Jerrells is much more than a flirtation.

Pop wants his own Eddie House.

Whether McClinton or Jerrells is that guy, remains to be seen. But they should push each other in camp and give the Spurs a better idea of who they'd like to see develop in their program more over the coming years.

Personally, I favor McClinton by a good margin but competition never hurts anyone worth a damn.

This is all irrelevant. Teams have to fill in spots and the Spurs want to continue to have players under their watch in Austin. McClinton or Jerrels will be in Austin and most likely never play meaningful minutes with the Spurs.

The best player no matter the position will fill in the 14th and 15th roster spots. That will be Marcus Williams and Hairston( Imo). Spurs have a third point guard his name is Manu Ginobili. If Parker were to go down in the playoffs. I'm willing to bet anything that Hill would start and Manu would be his back up. Not Jerrels and not Marcus Williams.

Blackjack
09-16-2009, 11:15 PM
This is all irrelevant. Teams have to fill in spots and the Spurs want to continue to have players under their watch in Austin. McClinton or Jerrels will be in Austin and most likely never play meaningful minutes with the Spurs.

The best player no matter the position will fill in the 14th and 15th roster spots. That will be Marcus Williams and Hairston( Imo). Spurs have a third point guard his name is Manu Ginobili. If Parker were to go down in the playoffs. I'm willing to bet anything that Hill would start and Manu would be his back up. Not Jerrels and not Marcus Williams.

I don't see how it's irrelevant that the Spurs have been so eager to find their own 'Eddie House.'

Judging by the players I mentioned, it's just a fact.

Now, you're right in saying the chances of either contributing this year is slim to none, but that doesn't mean they couldn't contribute to the program at some point. They obviously had a pretty high opinion of McClinton, seeing as he was a target with their 37th(?) pick, but a poor SL could have them having some similar feelings to last year when they looked to sign Pargo after Hill's showing. It's on a much smaller scale in terms of need and type of contributor they'd be off the bat, but Jerrells is basically a flyer to see if he's worth investing the time in.

Is he likely a better NBA prospect than McClinton, doubtful. But, as you said, you've got to fill out the roster for traing camp, and you usually do that with players that help to develop/showcase younger players and/or a couple of guys you take a flyer on to see if there's anything there.

Whether he makes the roster this year, or has any realistic shot at making it in years to come, is irrelevant to me. What is relevant, is the thought process and the fact that Pop and the Spurs seem to value the idea of having a House-type player in their system.

That's all.

Did you notice the post count, MaNu4Tres?:lol

MaNu4Tres
09-17-2009, 02:04 AM
I'm just saying that this discussion is irrelevant because Jerrels will more than likely never see meaningful minutes ever. Spurs have to invite players to training camp. He's one of them. Of course they want to see what the kid has, but their intentions are more so for the Toros than the Spurs.

I can see Pop wanting an Eddie House type in their system. And even if they had Eddie House himself, this team is too deep and too versatile for a player like Eddie House to play a significant role. Eddie House would be irrelevant himself unless we had injuries.

MaNu4Tres
09-17-2009, 02:13 AM
And what do you mean by post count? Who gives a shit ?

TimDunkem
09-17-2009, 03:34 AM
I think he was just pointing out that you two have the same amount of posts. Just relax...

benefactor
09-17-2009, 08:03 AM
He's just talking about the counts being exactly the same.

Here...have some Ativan.

K-State Spur
09-17-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't see how it's irrelevant that the Spurs have been so eager to find their own 'Eddie House.'

Judging by the players I mentioned, it's just a fact.

Now, you're right in saying the chances of either contributing this year is slim to none, but that doesn't mean they couldn't contribute to the program at some point. They obviously had a pretty high opinion of McClinton, seeing as he was a target with their 37th(?) pick, but a poor SL could have them having some similar feelings to last year when they looked to sign Pargo after Hill's showing. It's on a much smaller scale in terms of need and type of contributor they'd be off the bat, but Jerrells is basically a flyer to see if he's worth investing the time in.

Is he likely a better NBA prospect than McClinton, doubtful. But, as you said, you've got to fill out the roster for traing camp, and you usually do that with players that help to develop/showcase younger players and/or a couple of guys you take a flyer on to see if there's anything there.

Whether he makes the roster this year, or has any realistic shot at making it in years to come, is irrelevant to me. What is relevant, is the thought process and the fact that Pop and the Spurs seem to value the idea of having a House-type player in their system.

That's all.

Did you notice the post count, MaNu4Tres?:lol

There's no evidence that anybody sees him in the Eddie House mold.

mookie2001
09-17-2009, 11:02 AM
yeah kstate you should realize than the average poster on spurstalk has seen him play exactly zero full games

Blackjack
09-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm just saying that this discussion is irrelevant because Jerrels will more than likely never see meaningful minutes ever. Spurs have to invite players to training camp. He's one of them. Of course they want to see what the kid has, but their intentions are more so for the Toros than the Spurs.

I can see Pop wanting an Eddie House type in their system. And even if they had Eddie House himself, this team is too deep and too versatile for a player like Eddie House to play a significant role. Eddie House would be irrelevant himself unless we had injuries.

Again, you're missing my point.

It's not about Jerrells. It's about the thought process.

I don't think most on this board look at the Spurs and see a need for a House-type player, and I certainly haven't seen anyone clamoring for one.

I just find it interesting that Pop, the guy who really matters when it comes to personnel, has made it pretty clear through his actions that he wants that type of player on the roster; or at least in the program for use at some point.

Damn, did I say something or have you been getting crapped on by other posters to put you on the defensive?

I noticed we had the exact same amount of posts after I posted my comment. I didn't realize I was such an inflammatory poster.:lol

There's no evidence that anybody sees him in the Eddie House mold.

Well, he doesn't make me want to offer him a carrot when I look at his face, but his strength is shooting the ball and he does it in a point-guard's body.

DaBears
09-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Dont know much about him dont care... Lets be real here he's not making the team he's here for training camp just as Spurs do every year, like every other team in the league..... The need some guys to practice against on scrimages, its just these guys get paid to practice. Once in a while you find a diamond in the ruff but that is rare.. Best of luck to whoever they bring in but the team is set already.

My personal choice would be Mcclinton over Jerrells.. Much better shooter

DaBears
09-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Granted jerrels does play PG a McClinton is a bonified SG.......

EricB
09-17-2009, 03:25 PM
I think Marcus Williams would argue with you about that.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/09/09/a-conversation-with-marcus-williams/

Excellent interview, worth a read whether you think you're interested or not. :tu

I have read the interview, and I watched him play. He's not quick enough to guard point guards in the NBA. I'm sorry but I'm still not a fan of his unless he's made some magical transformation since April.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-17-2009, 11:40 PM
I have read the interview, and I watched him play. He's not quick enough to guard point guards in the NBA. I'm sorry but I'm still not a fan of his unless he's made some magical transformation since April.

Well, now, that's between you and Marcus. ;)

K-State Spur
09-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Well, he doesn't make me want to offer him a carrot when I look at his face, but his strength is shooting the ball and he does it in a point-guard's body.

There's a difference between being a score-first PG and being an Eddie House type player.

Bartleby
03-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Bump

suitedkings
03-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Bump

nice

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Good for nothing trickster.

timtonymanu
03-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I'd rather have Marcus Williams and I think Williams sucks.

ElNono
03-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Lame bump. Thread title misleading

TheProfessor
03-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Lame bump. Thread title misleading
Seriously, I thought we had already signed him right after the game :lol

Das Texan
03-06-2010, 11:33 PM
whoever the fuck bumped this should be pinked.

tp2021
03-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Haha theres worse things someone can trick you into clicking on

exstatic
03-06-2010, 11:45 PM
bump

whoever the fuck bumped this should be pinked.

+1

E-RockWill
03-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Bump

:nope

Pink this fool.

:nutkick: