PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Moves Of The NBA Offseason

duncan228
09-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Underrated moves of the NBA offseason (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/10068600/Underrated-moves-of-the-NBA-offseason)
by Randy Hill

As the NBA offseason continues to evaporate, fans are beginning to rub their idle hands together in anticipation of finding out which personnel maneuvers may catapult certain teams into more advantageous predicaments.

We're all heroically aware of the big moves.

But while it's obvious that Shaq to Cleveland, Ron Artest to L.A., Vince Carter to Orlando, Rasheed Wallace to Boston and Richard Jefferson to San Antonio will inspire the most chatter, we're interested in identifying which deals or hires may have greater impacts than many observers may expect.

Although most of our interst is aimed at potentially crucial acquisitions, there could be a memorable subtraction or two slipping onto the following list:

Boston Celtics sign Marquis Daniels

After the low-budget signing of Wallace (a move that very well could generate the greatest, title-related boost in the league), bringing in the former Indiana Pacer to spell veterans Paul Pierce and Ray Allen on the wings could extend Danny Ainge's membership in the sharpies club.

With injuries permitting Daniels to receive 11 additional minutes per game last season, the defensive-minded, 28-year-old increased his per-game scoring average from 8.2 to 13.6. What he represents in Boston is a year-late answer to the departure of James Posey, who worked in the role of super sub during the Celtics' 2008 championship run.

Unlike Posey, however, Daniels is a bricklayer from behind the 3-point line.

Cleveland Cavaliers acquire Anthony Parker and Jamario Moon

The deal that brought Shaquille O'Neal to Ohio from Phoenix certainly will yield plenty of hype (much of it from Shaq) during the coming season. But landing a couple of athletic wing players will enable Cavs coach Mike Brown to continue directing high-level defense when his subs are on the floor.

Parker, who averaged 10 points per game for the Toronto Raptors last season, is quite a defensive upgrade from Wally Szczerbiak and is a decent (40 percent) long-range shooter. Moon may not spend much time hovering over nearby Parma, but he's athletic enough to defend near the rim and pick off quite a few offensive rebounds when LeBron James squeezes off shots from long range.

It's too bad that even with O'Neal, Parker and Moon, the Cavs still could use an athletic post player to prevent more playoff doom. It also should be noted that re-signing slowpoke Anderson Varejao to a big deal may not be the best move of the year.

L.A. Clippers get rid of Zach Randolph

What's wrong with having a double-double machine like Randolph? Well, he had two more years on a big contract, still hauls around more baggage than Jerry Tarkanian's eyes and could have been an impediment to the development of rookie phenom Blake Griffin.

With Randolph no longer requiring minutes and shots along the Clippers' baseline, Griffin is free to work in a three-player, inside rotation with Marcus Camby and Chris Kaman. The Clippers also moved the player they acquired for Randolph — Quentin "Welcome Wagon" Richardson — to Minnesota for a group of players that includes tough guy Craig Smith.

San Antonio Spurs acquire Antonio McDyess

Fourteen years ago, McDyess was drafted and traded by the Clippers before he could even suit up for them. But this late-career move to San Antonio may be even more of a blessing. What's encouraging for the Spurs is McDyess still having enough physical gusto to average about 10 rebounds last season for the Detroit Pistons.

He also can defend reasonably sized players in the post, shoots well enough from mid-range to keep from crowding Tim Duncan inside and will be supported by rookie DeJuan Blair in a rotation that provides a lot more inside toughness than San Antonio received from Matt Bonner.

Right, the Jefferson move was big, too.

Orlando Magic add significant role players

The list includes sniper Ryan Anderson, a 6-foot-10 part of the Carter deal. Anderson doesn't offer the play-making skill of departed Hedo Turkoglu, but he can shoot it. Orlando also added swingman Matt Barnes and athletic inside worker Brandon Bass while managing to keep backup center Marcin Gortat.

Now if Vince can keep the Vin-sanity to a minimum ...

New Orleans Hornets trade for Emeka Okafor

OK, Tyson Chandler did provide considerable leadership and defensive chops for the Hornets, but Okafor — while not exactly Kevin McHale down low — will provide five or six additional points per game without sacrificing defense or rebounding.

Although point guard wasn't exactly a need on draft night, first-round pick Darren Collison could give Coach Byron Scott some fairly cool little-guy stereo options against other teams that do the same.

Portland Trail Blazers sign Andre Miller

The Blazers already had a leader (remember Brandon Roy?), so don't expect the soft-spoken Miller to waltz in and take over. But he does possess the ability to initiate an offense, which frees up Roy to score.

Adding Miller does figure to subtract from Portland's ability to prevent opposing point guards from penetrating at will.

Toronto Raptors acquire Jarrett Jack

The signing of Turkoglu and drafting of DeMar DeRozan provided the big news in Toronto, but adding Jack to share time with Jose Calderon means the Raptors won't have to put Marcus Banks on the floor. That's a fine argument for any talk about making a playoff run.

Los Angeles Lakers re-sign Shannon Brown

Yeah, I am serious. Sure, bringing in Ron Artest and keeping Lamar Odom are the important maneuvers, but having Brown around to help Jordan Farmar spell Derek Fisher and rest Kobe Bryant could be really wise. Brown is a premium athlete and has enough wisdom to find shots within the context of the triangle offense.

He also remains engaged on defense, with the ability to guard two positions.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Not sure about "under-rated" in the title as most of those moves have rated well elsewhere, but they are all very solid.

I particularly like what the Cavs did (we could do with Moon), and after being critical of Orlando early on, I think they did great. Wish we could swap Bonner for Ryan Anderson.

JamStone
09-15-2009, 11:53 PM
New Jersey Nets dumping Vince Carter's contract and getting a pretty good young player in Courtney Lee in return while clearing cap space.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-15-2009, 11:56 PM
New Jersey Nets dumping Vince Carter's contract and getting a pretty good young player in Courtney Lee in return while clearing cap space.

The Nets will be awful this year, but they have some intriguing youth - Harris has developed nicely, Lopez will be a top 5 centre before long, and then Lee, CDR and Terrence Williams. Pity the rest of their roster is a pile of dogshit! At least it's mostly cheap dogshit, or dogshit with expiring contracts... :lol

DPG21920
09-15-2009, 11:57 PM
If the Nets are a serious contender for Lebron, they will have a damn good team with room to sign another top flight player next to Lebron.

DPG21920
09-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Keeping Lamar Odom was more important than Brown imo.

Culburn369
09-16-2009, 12:02 AM

Knowing the nincompoop you are, you probably debated the gd issue in your mind since lunch time.

redzero
09-16-2009, 12:05 AM

I think you missed the point of this topic.

DPG21920
09-16-2009, 12:05 AM
What?

Cry Havoc
09-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Good article. :toast

Knowing the nincompoop you are, you probably debated the gd issue in your mind since lunch time.

Could we have a thread without insults on the NBA forum? No? Damn.

DPG21920
09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
I think you missed the point of this topic.

It was underrated moves? Keeping LO was a move that was crucial but that does not get a lot of play.

Brown was on their team and he was kept. LO was on their team and he was kept. No one made a big stink about it and even Laker fans were saying let him leave.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 12:57 AM
I will say that, although signing Daniels was a great move by the Celts, comparing him to Posey is stupid - Posey is a lockdown defender, Daniels a scorer. There is little similarity between them at all, besides both being swingmen.

EricB
09-16-2009, 02:03 AM
I still don't get the attraction to Marquis Daniels myself.

Kamnik
09-16-2009, 02:07 AM

+1

Dude, you are turning into one of my favourite posters.

@Ruff:

I think Nets will be fighting for the playoffs... They have a great young nucleus as long as they stay healthy. Remember... Nets are in the east :p:

Chieflion
09-16-2009, 02:22 AM
+1

Dude, you are turning into one of my favourite posters.

@Ruff:

I think Nets will be fighting for the playoffs... They have a great young nucleus as long as they stay healthy. Remember... Nets are in the east :p:
They cannot fight for a playoff spot. They are practically as weak as the Pacers. With the 76ers, Bulls and Heat, with the Wizards and Raptors getting a huge boost and the Big 3 of the East, above the Pacers and Nets, the Nets will be a lottery team, almost guaranteed, unless something happens with Wade or Bosh.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 04:08 AM
I don't think the Nets will be any good this year either - 10th-12th in the conference. However, next year, depending on which Big FA they land, something like Harris/Lee/Williams/Bosh/Lopez/CDR would make some waves!

However, I reckon the Raptors may just win high 40s-low 50s this year and hold on to Bosh.

Culburn369
09-16-2009, 06:04 AM
"Could we have a thread without insults on the NBA forum? No? Damn."

I've thought the same thought on many occasion, but, gave up hope. You have shown the way, brother, and I'll hold you to your cause with equal amounts of both anticipation & determination.

sribb43
09-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Quinton Ross....

mountainballer
09-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Quinton Ross....

hate to say it, but might be true.

mountainballer
09-16-2009, 07:56 AM
The Nets will be awful this year, but they have some intriguing youth - Harris has developed nicely, Lopez will be a top 5 centre before long, and then Lee, CDR and Terrence Williams. Pity the rest of their roster is a pile of dogshit! At least it's mostly cheap dogshit, or dogshit with expiring contracts... :lol

I think it's a bit premature to call Terrence Williams and CDR a NBA building block. but Nets are in fact in a good position for the future.
btw. all talk about Lebron (of course) and Bosh (maybe) as the major targets of the Nets. I can't see Lebron go there, but what if their next target is Joe Johnson? I could see him fit great alongside Harris and Lee as a point forward. and I'm not sure that Bosh (or Amare) is the best solution to put alongside Lopez. overall he might be better with a Udonis Haslem type player at his side.

Culburn369
09-16-2009, 08:24 AM
If I had one knock on Andre Miller it is his scoring mentality. He is very pass first. If he has two guys streaking on either side of him on a fast break he'll pass the ball even if no one will stop him from laying the ball in.

It was John Stockton's undoing as well.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I think it's a bit premature to call Terrence Williams and CDR a NBA building block. but Nets are in fact in a good position for the future.
btw. all talk about Lebron (of course) and Bosh (maybe) as the major targets of the Nets. I can't see Lebron go there, but what if their next target is Joe Johnson? I could see him fit great alongside Harris and Lee as a point forward. and I'm not sure that Bosh (or Amare) is the best solution to put alongside Lopez. overall he might be better with a Udonis Haslem type player at his side.

True, true and true. :tu

Andre Miller is the best move for sure of all these. If I had one knock on Andre Miller it is his scoring mentality. He is very pass first. If he has two guys streaking on either side of him on a fast break he'll pass the ball even if no one will stop him from laying the ball in. Also his shot is weird. I've seen him miss easy open shots, but hit hard ones with a hand in his face. Still that young team needed a point guard and he'll do wonders for them.

A lot of media had this as a poor fit, but I always thought it was a good fit and in fact suggested it well before it happened. Miller is the calm veteran they need in that locker room, and he'll take a lot of ball-handling pressure off Roy and free him up to do whatever he wants. Portland will be very dangerous this year, especially if Oden can give a consistent contribution and Batum takes a step forward.

Damn, there is one guy over there who is going to waste though, and that's Rudy Fernandez. With Miller and Roy in front of him, Blake the primary backup PG, Outlaw and Webster at the 3, he's in a real minute squeeze. If he played 30 mins a game he could be like a young Manu. Give him here, please! :depressed

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-16-2009, 09:04 AM
It was underrated moves? Keeping LO was a move that was crucial but that does not get a lot of play.

Wtf do you mean it didn't get a lot of play? Lakerfan created 20 threads about it every day :lol

stretch
09-16-2009, 09:18 AM
It's too bad that even with O'Neal, Parker and Moon, the Cavs still could use an athletic post player to prevent more playoff doom. It also should be noted that re-signing slowpoke Anderson Varejao to a big deal may not be the best move of the year.

Did they forget that the Cavs added Powe too?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Did they forget that the Cavs added Powe too?

He's not gonna get it done. They needed an athletic PF who can play big minutes and defend the pick and roll well.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-16-2009, 09:58 PM
He's not gonna get it done. They needed an athletic PF who can play big minutes and defend the pick and roll well.

I'm curious to see what they do with JJ Hickson this year. He's big enough, athletic, a good help defender. Whether he can play big minutes yet, and how good his pnr defence is, I'm not sure.

Galileo
09-19-2009, 01:18 PM
The most under-rated move was Marcus Haislip. He's gonna be a big deal this year.

Ghazi
09-19-2009, 01:37 PM
mavs acquiring matrix

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-19-2009, 01:44 PM
This isn't getting any talk at all but it will have an impact: Orlando making New Jersey include Ryan Anderson in the VC trade.

j-money24
09-19-2009, 07:04 PM
The one move that i really think was underrated is Ben Gordon to Detriot, this guy is going to do them good, he was great against Boston last year in the first round.

exstatic
09-19-2009, 07:56 PM
The one move that i really think was underrated is Ben Gordon to Detriot, this guy is going to do them good, he was great against Boston last year in the first round.

You need to look up the word underrated in the dictionary. He was one of the marquee high dollar signings of the summer.

Chieflion
09-19-2009, 08:12 PM
The Orlando Magic getting a TPE and 2nd rounder from the Turkoglu deal to the Raptors will help them sooner or later. Their owner is rich. The TPE could very well buy them this year's championship.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-20-2009, 12:40 AM
This isn't getting any talk at all but it will have an impact: Orlando making New Jersey include Ryan Anderson in the VC trade.

Agreed. Anderson is a better version of Bonner.

Chieflion
09-20-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't think Orlando need Ryan Anderson this season because of Bass. I think Anderson is just going to play spot minutes though.

KSeal
09-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Wtf do you mean it didn't get a lot of play? Lakerfan created 20 threads about it every day :lol

I agree, I don't know how anyone can say that whole Lamar thing didn't get play but it wasn't just Lakerfans creating Odom threads. Spurfans where cumming their pants at the idea of Lamar leaving, and rightfully so, the Lakers bench would have been absolutely pathetic without him.

Culburn369
09-20-2009, 02:06 PM
I agree, I don't know how anyone can say that whole Lamar thing didn't get play but it wasn't just Lakerfans creating Odom threads. Spurfans where cumming their pants at the idea of Lamar leaving, and rightfully so, the Lakers bench would have been absolutely pathetic without him.

Well, once Odom threw the turd into the pool by re-signing in CA., there was no more story. As long as he "was leaving" Media drove it maniacally. They "knew" he wasn't going anywhere, but, facts never dissuade them from "selling newspapers."

z0sa
09-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Well, once Odom threw the turd into the pool by re-signing in CA., there was no more story. As long as he "was leaving" Media drove it maniacally. They "knew" he wasn't going anywhere, but, facts never dissuade them from "selling newspapers."

if only you "knew" what a dumbass you are or could be dissuaded from "being a douchebag" 24/7

Culburn369
09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
if only you "knew" what a dumbass you are or could be dissuaded from "being a douchebag" 24/7

Z, are you really certain you want to go down Douche Bag Lane again?

tee, hee.