PDA

View Full Version : More bite from the "Big Dog"

SenorSpur
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
During these remaining dog days of the season, I'm of the opinion the Spurs should do more to get both playing time and touches for Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson.

I'm certainly not implying they should forfeit the primary objective of winning. It just seems to me that the team could really benefit from his prowess - especially during this stretch run.

Let's face it. They're going to need his scoring punch to help keep defenses honest. As such, he's gonna need time and touches. Why not get him more involved now? This became apparent to me during the 3rd and 4th quarters of the game versus the Mavs. They had nothing to play for and that would have been a prime opportunity for him to log valuable minutes.

couchman
04-12-2005, 01:22 PM
He's already getting lots of minutes. A lot more than I expected. I think the Spurs coaches are already doing what you've said.

boutons
04-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Be careful what you wish for.

Glenn is shooting FG @ 33% as a Spur. Such a Spurs "shooter" would have blended right in for Laker games 3 - 6 last May. :)

... vs his career avg of 46%, and playoffs of 42%. oops! He ain't playoff clutch shooter? damn, Hedo II. :)

Every other Spur is shooting above 40%, the Spurs team avg is 46%.

yeah, yeah, I know he's "rusty" but there's not much time for him to find his touch as "Mr. instant offense" drawing double teams off Tim and the others.

CosmicCowboy
04-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Be careful what you wish for.

Glenn is shooting FG @ 33% as a Spur. Such a Spurs "shooter" would have blended right in for Laker games 3 - 6 last May. :)

... vs his career avg of 46%, and playoffs of 42%. oops! He ain't playoff clutch shooter? damn, Hedo II. :)

Every other Spur is shooting above 40%, the Spurs team avg is 46%.

yeah, yeah, I know he's "rusty" but there's not much time for him to find his touch as "Mr. instant offense" drawing double teams off Tim and the others.

When talking about BigDogs numbers as a Spur you are using a very small statistical sample. I for one think he will get on track and play a big part in the playoffs.

texbumTHElife
04-12-2005, 02:23 PM
I thought he played really well the other night outside of his offense. He did a pretty good job on the board. Has some nice passes and played solid help defense. His on ball and post defense both still leave a lot to be desired but he plays the passing lanes well and seems to be quick on the rotation. If he can keep doing the othe rlittle things he will keep getting minutes and a chance to get his shot back.

FromWayDowntown
04-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I think Big Dog will get his time and his opportunity to shake off the rust if the Spurs can end the divisional race. If they can wrap up the division, Pop seemed to suggest yesterday that they'd be content with the #2 seed if staying at 2 assured rest for the guys who need rest. That suggests to me that Pop has every intention of trying to end the race as soon as possible, sitting down some people, and giving plenty of time to guys who can benefit from playing in meaningless games. He specifically mentioned Robinson, Marks, and Massenburg in that category yesterday.

texbumTHElife
04-12-2005, 02:32 PM
If I am not mistaken we only need to win one more game to lock up the division correct? If so how many games does that give Big Dog to get his stroke back? I would like to see more intermediate picks set for Big Dog. I would also like to see a little more post ISO plays for him. I know once Tim gets back there wont be a lot of room for him in the rotation but he will provide a great spark off the bench.

ducks
04-12-2005, 02:34 PM
big dog hit his shot when it mattered most against gs

SpurYank
04-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Pop said it best yesterday when he mentioned the difficulty in getting accustomed to playing with each other. Takes time. I believe his shooting percentage will be back to his norm once he gets "accustomed... ." Pop will have to give him time. Big Dog isn't Glover or some other 10-day-trial NBA player. He is established. So his defense isn't Spur-caliber. He isn't here for his defense. He is here to score. Kinda like Kerr and Ferry did a while back. Neither of them is known for playing defense either.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-12-2005, 04:17 PM
big dog hit his shot when it mattered most against gs

Spot on. And he got to the line for six points hitting ALL of his free throws. True anti-Spurness. He also had two assists and six rebounds in 20 minutes.

Most importantly, he's the only true small forward on our active roster. Any points he can contribute while Bruce is resting is gravy. Everybody talks about all of the minutes that Tony and Manu have been playing. Bowen is right there with them, and if he gets injured, we're screwed.

caŽlo
04-12-2005, 04:23 PM
agree with ^^^^

bowen has been playing so many minutes too.

he doesnt have a solid backup imho..

with big dog on the roster.. anything that he can contribute while bruce is resting would be great.

just like what devin contributes when manu's out.

ALVAREZ6
04-12-2005, 05:25 PM
the "big dog" sucks ass.

exstatic
04-12-2005, 06:46 PM
I for one think he will get on track and play a big part in the playoffs.

Funny, we were discussing the possibility that he may be CUT before the playoffs at the GTG. He isn't exactly tearing up the nets, and he is a black hole on offense. He passes so little that you can see the other players just STOP moving when he gets the ball and bumps his man to set up that (so far) ineffective turnaround jumper. I'm not overly impressed so far. He may improve, but he ain't got much time, what five games? Bring it, Big Dog.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-12-2005, 06:47 PM
the "big dog" sucks ass.

yeah right
hes going to be our leading scorer tonight.....................................

Brodels
04-12-2005, 06:54 PM
If Devin Brown can play, Glenn shouldn't be on the playoff roster. It's just too late in the season for him to try to get in shape and for him and team to jive.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather have Devin. And carrying five big men is a necessity. And it's looking like three point guards wouldn't be a bad idea.

Rasho
Nazr
Horry
Marks/Massenburg
Duncan
Bowen
Manu
Barry
Brown
Parker
Beno
Wilks

MadDog73
04-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Funny, we were discussing the possibility that he may be CUT before the playoffs at the GTG. He isn't exactly tearing up the nets, and he is a black hole on offense. He passes so little that you can see the other players just STOP moving when he gets the ball and bumps his man to set up that (so far) ineffective turnaround jumper. I'm not overly impressed so far. He may improve, but he ain't got much time, what five games? Bring it, Big Dog.

So, you'd rather have Wilks instead?

Brodels
04-12-2005, 06:58 PM
So, you'd rather have Wilks instead?

I can't speak for Ex, but I would rather have Wilks. That is, of course, if Brown is healthy.

Parker has struggled for long stretches in the playoffs in the past and Beno is just a rookie. Barry and Brown (if healthy) will need to play significant minutes at the two and three even if Glenn makes the roster. They shouldn't be counted on to play point guard.

Wilks knows the offense better, he at least tries to defend, and he's performed solidly all year. You know he's going to try to find the open man. You know he can bring the ball up against pressure. And you know he's in game shape.

exstatic
04-12-2005, 07:04 PM
They skipped Devin's third Cortisone shot. I'll go out on a limb and say he'll be ready. :lol

ALVAREZ6
04-12-2005, 07:17 PM
yeah right
hes going to be our leading scorer tonight.....................................
doesn't change the fact...

CosmicCowboy
04-12-2005, 07:19 PM
I still think that BigDog is gonna make some haters eat their words. And in my opinion Pop will take him over Wilks in a heartbeat even if Devin is healthy and 100%

Playoff basketball is different than regular season basketball. You actually game plan for specific teams and have more time to practice/adjust your sets for specific teams.

BigDog brings experience and a good basket of skills and fills a need as a true small forward to backup to Bowen if something *knock on wood* happens to him. Plus...he can screw with the other coaches game plan if they are sagging off Bowen and his shot isn't falling...they substitute BigDog for Bowen and suddenly the defensive game plan doesn't work...the open kickout to the strong side corner gives BigDog room to work and he is driving/amd or pulling up for the jumper and drawing desperation fouls...

I'm not saying that BigDog is the ANSWER but from a basketball standpoint I don't see Pop leaving him off the roster...sure hope he gets time to shake some rust off tonight...

wildbill2u
04-12-2005, 07:23 PM

I'm not worried too much about him being a black hole right now. My guess is that Pop told him to shoot as much as he can in game situations so he can get his timing back. They really need to know if he can shake off the rust and give them some useful minutes in the playoffs. Like you said, they only have five games so give him the green light.

Mr. Body
04-12-2005, 07:25 PM
BigDog is just too sweet a wild card to leave off the roster. If you have to go so deep to play your normal 11 or 12th guy in any playoff game, you're in trouble. Why not fill that spot with somebody who may be able to unstall an offense?

Wilks is easily covered by our shooting guards, who can point the offense. The only value to Wilks, to me, is to cover Earl Boykins, which he might be able to do better than Parker.

Needing five bigs? Again, if you're ever having to dig so deep to play that fifth big, you're in trouble anyway. Besides, if it ever gets to that, Pop has proven this year that he'd rather go for a small line-up.

Keep Robinson.

picnroll
04-12-2005, 07:25 PM
His shots will start falling. The looks he's getting are too good and he's too good a shooter for them not to.

Brodels
04-12-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm not worried too much about him being a black hole right now. My guess is that Pop told him to shoot as much as he can in game situations so he can get his timing back.

He's always been a black hole. If you think his penchant for shooting has to do with Pop, go watch some old games that he played in. For better or for worse, he's always stopped ball movement. He's had the talent to get away with it, but that isn't necessarily the case any more.

Wilks is easily covered by our shooting guards, who can point the offense.

If Parker gets hurt, things wouldn't be good. Then you're asking a rookie to play most of the point guard minutes and Barry to back him up. That's not the best situation. I'd rather have Brown or Barry cover for Bowen than Beno and Barry cover for Parker. As we saw last season and the season before, point guard depth is important in the playoffs.

Needing five bigs? Again, if you're ever having to dig so deep to play that fifth big, you're in trouble anyway. Besides, if it ever gets to that, Pop has proven this year that he'd rather go for a small line-up.

Pop has gone small because he's had to. And it is absolutely, positively dumb to go to the playoffs with only four bigs. Especially with Rasho and Tim still hurting. Especially with Nazr being new, Marks being inexperienced, and Massenburg being incapable of playing big minutes.

It's a sure thing that Pop will take five bigs to the playoffs anyway. There is absolutely zero chance of that not happening. It would be insane not to.

Unless the Spurs are playing Phoenix, you're almost certainly going to see two big men on the floor most of the time.

Keep Robinson.

Lets see how he does in the last few games. If he gets into shape, hits his shots, understands the offense better, and tries on defense, it's worth at least considering him over Wilks. Otherwise, it would be foolish to include him.

CosmicCowboy
04-12-2005, 08:46 PM
is that rust flakes I see on the floor of the SBC Center?

Pop is not gonna leave that sweet mid-range jumper at home...

Hook Dem
04-12-2005, 08:48 PM
is that rust flakes I see on the floor of the SBC Center?

Pop is not gonna leave that sweet mid-range jumper at home...
You tell 'em Cowboy! :lol